Pet peeves when it comes to people building PCs

ANewFace

Windows 8.1 doesn't have many compatibility issues anymore, and even then Windows has "compatibility mode." I'm sure Windows 7 had compatibility issues when it just came out, but that's not a problem anymore. Winodws 8.1 has a lot of features over Windows 7 that you might not notice if you're not very... techie, and also provides better performance in games

They also took some features out on windows 8 like shadow copy.

hehehe.... I'm waiting for summer to pass before giving mine a little OC, want to be sure it's temps don't get to high right now.

As long as its good cooled no props dude :D

The Y.E.T.I. is in progress?Whaaat? (modding aproach&build log)->http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/355618-project-yeti-first-build/

[READ THE COC BEFORE POSTING][Check twice cut once][NZXT rules:D][Dremel is Love Dremel is Life][COOKIES ARE GREAT][LOGIC]

ridiciously powerfulll small systems, like the 18core titan x build linus did, i mean, who does that?

As long as its good cooled no props dude :D

yeah i know, but small room, 60 degree Celsius CPU+GPU is bit warmer then expected, so might leave OC of until winter when i need it

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Fanboys. Because I use an AMD graphics card, one of my friends says I support the dark side.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

I'm sorry, but I have the attention span of a squirrel, and if that causes me to keep 100 tabs open in Chrome, I would like to have the RAM for it. If I were making a $700 build, I would still take the budget to put the extra RAM in because I can and will honestly go over. Why should I change how I use the computer when I could just have more RAM and faster access speeds for my other tabs?

If you want to have 100+ tabs open, go for it, get the additional RAM. I'm talk about the morons that say EVERYONE needs 16GB minimum. I close things that I'm not using, I don't need it. Don't recommend it to me.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

If you want to have 100+ tabs open, go for it, get the additional RAM. I'm talk about the morons that say EVERYONE needs 16GB minimum. I close things that I'm not using, I don't need it. Don't recommend it to me.

Oh, alright, sorry about that.

I don't close things that I'm not using. wacko.png  I will open a game, then while waiting for it to load swap over to chrome, and get stuck there with my 100's of tabs for an hour before I remember I was going to play something. I would be on this forum like half as much if I didn't do that, so it's a good thing I guess?

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

People who think they know what they're going on about and say that they're going to build such and such an awesome PC and then when you look at the specs they suggest, you find nothing good about anything.

Vegan Gains video of him wearing a fucking wrist wrap.. I about died

6cc12b26880bf7c72c75812b4653ba44.png

LOL

I'm guilty of committing sins A and B (on OP's list) and I regret it every day.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

when people put parts on the anti static bag

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

when people put parts on the anti static bag

Why is this bad? Go test it with a multimeter, it's no different than placing parts on cardboard boxes.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

Call me insane, but SSD only builds. I can't stand builds without at least one HDD. I like builds that have at least one HDD, and only Seagate, nothing else.

Not everyone needs a tonne of storage. My HTPC has a 128GB SSD only, all of the data it needs to access is on the network. Or they could have, like me, found themselves not altogether deliberately with 1.5TB of solid state storage in their PC.

And I'm not really sure what people are expecting to happen when you put a motherboard on an anti-static bag. Even if the bag were conductive (which it isn't), as long as the board isn't on when it's on the conductive sheet it'll be absolutely fine.

Why is this bad? Go test it with a multimeter, it's no different than placing parts on cardboard boxes.

Some bags are conductive on the outside. 

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

People who recommend/use AMD for the CPU no matter what price range the person is aiming for, claiming that your CPU "doesn't matter for gaming," or that an AMD processor is somehow "better for gaming." I don't know where the whole "your CPU doesn't matter for gaming" thing started, but it's been a big pet peeve of mine for a while.

Don't get me wrong, AMD is great for budget PC's, but if you're spending $700 or more, you should really be aiming for Intel. 

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Anti-static bags are conductive on the outside. They form a faraday cage around the outside to prevent static electricity from affecting the electronics inside. I'm not saying the conductivity is high but it is there.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Anti-static bags are conductive on the outside. They form a faraday cage around the outside to prevent static electricity from affecting the electronics inside. I'm not saying the conductivity is high but it is there.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

[removed]

They are still conductive on the outside. They have to be, or the concept doesn't work.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

They are still conductive on the outside. They have to be, or the concept doesn't work.

But it doesn't pose any danger to the motherboard.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

My biggest pet peeve is mom and pop computer stores that charge ridiculous prices for a custom PC - using a PC Case that looks all decked out (usually an NZXT), and using the junkiest, crappiest components you could probably find in a landfill. They'll use a 15 dollar power supply that has no labels or fail-safes, a super low end graphic card that can be beaten by an APU, cheap LED fans, outdated cpu, and a motherboard that looks like a spec of dust would short it out. 

Don't get me wrong, not all small-time pc builders do this, but when I help someone fix their computer they spent a grand on - and its a piece of garbage - I wanna nerd rage.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

bad cable management.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

bad cable management.

So in other words I should make sure that you don't see my build logs.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

We all have them, those things that drive you crazy when other people do them. I have two things that people who are building PCs do, that drive me insane. 

1. People who build a $500-$600 PC and spend $100+ on a case. At that price range you should try to squeeze every bit of performance you can out of your PC, if you spend that much of your budget on a case that is just stupid. You loose so much performance for the outside of you PC to look good. I wouldn't recommend spending that much on case unless you are spending $1000+.

2. People who have VERY strict budgets. The people who say, for example, give me a $800 build and you give them something that costs $820, and they say, "That's to expensive I can't go over $800." That's ridicules you can spend $20 more to get something better. And don't say you don't have the money for it, you can get $20. The same thing goes for components, people will say, "I need a GPU that costs $330." You give them a 970 for $350, and they say they can't go that high, yes you can.  

Those are my two biggest pet peeves. What are some of your guys? 

Edit: Just thought of another one. People who don't put their GPU in the top slot.

Edit 2: Guys who get a locked CPU and, (A) (this one is the least bad) Put them in a Z series board, ( B ) put expensive cooling on them like H100is and NH-D15s, ( C ) Put them in a really expensive motherboard. I saw this guy the other day who had a i5 4590 on a sabertooth Z97 with a Dark Rock 3.

Given the situation, sometimes it's due to airflow with the GPU card, PCIE speed, and slot space. 

"locked CPU" Take a example from @Pyroshank, he couldn't get a Z board because he was limited to buy in store and they don't sell Z boards in store. 

"Case" About that, i spent 60 bucks on a case, hugely regretted it because it had horrible build quality and limited to upgrades so that's why i'm buying a Corsair 750D. So that's why buying a more expensive case would be a better idea because of future upgrades, normal 60 dollar cases hold like 4-6 drives max, some people buy a lot of HDDs and pretty soon they need to upgrade their case because their "cheap, budget" case can't hold that much drives yet even 2 way card setup or like cooler support in the future. "Strict budgets" I went from 600 to 800 in my original build simply because the parts i originally had wasn't worth it and the parts now i have are. Paying for something premium vs standard. 

Fanboys, who wont consider another brand (even if that other brand might perform better or just as good for less)

You know what I am talking about...

Oh man, I know this guy who just druels over anything AMD >_> There's no point in even mentioning other options of intel cpus that are WAY better. It's all because of the brand name. Like how people who own beats say "the sound quality is better" when its proven that the sound isn't even that good and their are brands that are WAAAY better than the quality of beats

>I own beats studios (whats wrong with me) xD

Taran should run for president!

people who really hate on vista. it was a great os tbh. better than xp for sure

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

people who really hate on vista. it was a great os tbh. better than xp for sure

I actually agree on Vista.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ