Pet peeves when it comes to people building PCs

ANewFace

what's wrong with that

Aaaaaaaaaanddddd then... The GPU reveal...

An R7 260X...

i cri evyrtiem

what if they really don't have the money, and the build is locked. Not everyone is like you, Remember that.

Sorry for the double post, wanted to respond to this comment :)

You can work the extra couple hours to get something that is better.

Sorry for the double post, wanted to respond to this comment :)

You can work the extra couple hours to get something that is better.

no but saying as a 13yr old if I save up to say $400, i don't want to ask family members to pay extra.

no but saying as a 13yr old if I save up to say $400, i don't want to ask family members to pay extra.

U don't ask, u do a few extra chores or whatever and get those extra few bucks for a better CPU, GPU, or whatever it is that will make ur build totally kick-ass

U don't ask, u do a few extra chores or whatever and get those extra few bucks for a better CPU, GPU, or whatever it is that will make ur build totally kick-ass

Not all families will provide extra cash in exchange for extra chores... my household is one like that...

My solution: eat less, travel less... and it's damaging my body already...

Well, you could use interest with your parents or work around your house/neighborhood lawns to get the few extra bucks to get a great PC.

My gpu is in the second slot. *Grabs popcorn and waits*

Hehe, same. Though in my defence the top slot goes through a PLX chip whereas the second slot goes through the CPU

People throwing out component boxes, manuals and driver CDs or even surplus miscellaneous  parts (screws, I/O plates).

I built a PC for a guy a few months ago and he came to me yesterday for a Windows reinstall and some dust removal. Guy had removed everything from the back of the case (I/O covers, rubber grommets, fan filters from all intakes and exhausts) so it would make his PC run "cooler". There was half an inch of dust in his H110i's radiator. Took me 4 tubes of compressed air to clean his PC.

Other things he removed for some reason: 2 screws from every fan, one of the screws holding his GPU (heavy Direct CU II card!), his drives were only held by a single screw in the drive trays (I secured them with 6 screws!), the thumbscrews from the case panels were missing, the front 5.25 bay covers were missing.

When asked to supply the missing screws and such he said he had thrown them away...

<insert nucular facepalm here>

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Was this sarcasm? (Honestly couldn't tell)

But as someone who has extensively used the ODAC from Mayflower Electronics, I can personally say that I notice a massive difference in quality. It's not really about avoiding noise, it's about replacing the; often sub-par, onboard DAC with something of higher quality and with that, lack of PC noise. If I use the onboard sound I will often pick up interference as I live close to a FM radio tower. On the DAC, no interference at all.

My external DAC would constantly pick up a signal from my mobile phone every few minutes as well as a few seconds before my phone ringing.

When it died I replaced it with a xonar essence stx and I get no noise whatsoever from any source; subjectively slightly better sound as well.

My external DAC would constantly pick up a signal from my mobile phone every few minutes as well as a few seconds before my phone ringing.

When it died I replaced it with a xonar essence stx and I get no noise whatsoever from any source; subjectively slightly better sound as well.

In other words your mileage may vary...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

people who get locked CPU's on a locked board, people who put Bronze rated PSU's on a 1300+ build; people who use AMD on a 1,200+ build 

Oh boy, youre not gonna like this one: I am running a 4820K on a Rampage IV Extreme with a NH-D14 - completely stock. No overlcocking whatsoever. Actually even undervolting sometimes.

4790K - Z97S Krait - Kraken X61 - completely stock - do I win? :D

Edit: Just thought of another one. People who don't put their GPU in the top slot.

AbIDXZM.jpg?1

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

My pet peeve is when people give a hard budget, say $500, and then every single build in the comments is over the budget. Every single time the build comes out to $530 or something. I wish people would respect that others have hard budgets that they just can't go over sometimes. And yes, I know it's frustrating when you're trying to do a parts list for someone and you want to swap 2 or 3 parts out for ones that "just cost $15 more" but the point is to make them a build that fits within their budget, not "Oh well it could be a little better if you spent a little more", that isn't the point.

"LTT's official.."STOP. I promise you aren't LTT's official bagel eater or whatever. Trust me. 

My pet peeve is when people give a hard budget, say $500, and then every single build in the comments is over the budget. Every single time the build comes out to $530 or something. I wish people would respect that others have hard budgets that they just can't go over sometimes. And yes, I know it's frustrating when you're trying to do a parts list for someone and you want to swap 2 or 3 parts out for ones that "just cost $15 more" but the point is to make them a build that fits within their budget, not "Oh well it could be a little better if you spent a little more", that isn't the point.

Agreed. It will always be a bit better if you add a bit more. But then the " a bit" piles up

I totally disagree, that is complete BS if you can't spend $20-$30 more to get something better, there does come a point were you can go to far, but if you have such financial problems that you can't go over your budget by $20-$30, then you shouldn't be getting a PC.

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

I totally disagree, that is complete BS if you can't spend $20-$30 more to get something better, there does come a point were you can go to far, but if you have such financial problems that you can't go over your budget by $20-$30, then you shouldn't be getting a PC.

You don't know everyone's specific situation, who are you to tell them that no matter what, they can spend $20-$30 more? Plus the price you see on PCPartPicker is never the price you pay, there's always some tax it overlooks, or you have to pay shipping on two or 3 items. Now if you're building a $1500 build? Then yeah, add $30 bucks on to that, it doesn't matter much at that point, but down on the lower end, keep it within the budget that way they have a buffer if they need to pay for shipping or a overlooked disc drive or something.

"LTT's official.."STOP. I promise you aren't LTT's official bagel eater or whatever. Trust me. 

For point #2 let me give you an example: the original poster is a 13 year old who just got enough money for his first pc. He has earned/received exactly, let's say, 635.44$  If you give him a 640$ build he won't be able to buy it until he gets another present or does another job for someone, and maybe he doesn't have the time to do that right now or the jobs he usually does are onyl available in summer and it's october. There can be instances where your budget is not extensible. If you notice you're going over budget , but spending even slightly less would result in something significantly worse, dial down your expectations and give them a cheaper build that still has good value. The money they spare may translate in an upgrade 2 years from now, but at least he'll have a computer ready right there and then.

What I don't like is when someone sets their expectations too high for their budget and won't be convinced he can't get that. Or when they start out saying they want a couple of specific parts and even if you tell them why it's a bad idea they won't listen (for example, "I want a gaming computer with an i7 5960x and a gtx 750") and will insist they are right and made a good choice by giving silly excuses.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hehe, same. Though in my defence the top slot goes through a PLX chip whereas the second slot goes through the CPU

To be honest, I have had my gpu in both slots and can't tell a difference. The second slot gives me a bit more room, and helps cover up my psu and all the protruding cables :/

people who get locked CPU's on a locked board, 

What's wrong with this?

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

You don't know everyone's specific situation, who are you to tell them that no matter what, they can spend $20-$30 more? Plus the price you see on PCPartPicker is never the price you pay, there's always some tax it overlooks, or you have to pay shipping on two or 3 items. Now if you're building a $1500 build? Then yeah, add $30 bucks on to that, it doesn't matter much at that point, but down on the lower end, keep it within the budget that way they have a buffer if they need to pay for shipping or a overlooked disc drive or something.

Uh.... PCP does factor in taxes and shipping you know

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Only when it's available. If you live in the US it wont factor in tax and it struggles with shipping options most of the time regardless of where you are..

Plus unless you go in and change the settings, it factors in mail in rebates, which most people on a very strict budget can't deal with since they don't have the capital to shell out up front, and are usually younger so they don't know to look out for that.

No it doesn't. Not for CDN prices anyways. We pay 13% sales tax on every part plus shipping is typically higher than the US.

This is actually one of my PC building pet peeves - those who don't factor in taxes (especially for Canadian builds). You have to take your budget, subtract 13% and make that your "before tax" budget, so you don't go over your actual budget. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS