Pet peeves when it comes to people building PCs

ANewFace

I actually agree on Vista.

Vista was actually a very good OS once you solved the bugs, people were just lazy asses and that's why they had issues. They never fixed them.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Vista was actually a very good OS once you solved the bugs, people were just lazy asses and that's why they had issues. They never fixed them.

I decided to try Vista on my Tecra M5 since Windows 7 runs like shit on it (Core 2 Duo T7600, 4GB RAM, Quadro NVS110M with 128MB dedicated 386MB shared-regretting spending money on the damn thing BTW), and funnily enough Vista actually ran better than XP (and I used my old guide from a magazine to get it working correctly-none of my attempts at fixing Windows 7 worked, its like it nerfed the CPU).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I decided to try Vista on my Tecra M5 since Windows 7 runs like shit on it (Core 2 Duo T7600, 4GB RAM, Quadro NVS110M with 128MB dedicated 386MB shared-regretting spending money on the damn thing BTW), and funnily enough Vista actually ran better than XP (and I used my old guide from a magazine to get it working correctly-none of my attempts at fixing Windows 7 worked, its like it nerfed the CPU).

i've wanted to try vista on my pentium m dell inspiron 600m since xp ran like complete shit but right now it's already running bodhi linux, a super lightweight flavor of linux for old machines like these.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

i've wanted to try vista on my pentium m dell inspiron 600m since xp ran like complete shit but right now it's already running bodhi linux, a super lightweight flavor of linux for old machines like these.

With my Asus A3H (upgraded from a Celeron M380, shortly to a Pentium M770, then finally back down to a Pentium M740 (I need to buy a second PM770), and with all 3 CPU Xubuntu and Lubuntu run perfectly. And its going to be even more fun with a PATA SSD.

PMSL

With my Asus A3H (upgraded from a Celeron M380, shortly to a Pentium M770, then finally back down to a Pentium M740 (I need to buy a second PM770), and with all 3 CPU Xubuntu and Lubuntu run perfectly. And its going to be even more fun with a PATA SSD.

i should consider getting a PATA SSD, but those are too expensive to be worth anything.

Fun fact: my 600M has a modular bay so i can have a floppy drive, a DVD drive, or even a second laptop battery. Obviously not all three at the same time :P

People who actually use case badges, especially if it's on a minimalist case like the define R series

omg my cousin put all these decals on my 300r I thought nothing of it at first but it really annoyed me after a while and I could never get them off

i should consider getting a PATA SSD, but those are too expensive to be worth anything.

Fun fact: my 600M has a modular bay so i can have a floppy drive, a DVD drive, or even a second laptop battery. Obviously not all three at the same time :P

Lol, just like my Tecra M5 (I've got the DVD drive and battery-which is dead from age, I only need the FDD). I even bought a dock for it (4x USB 2.0, gigabit ethernet, VGA, DVI, PS/2 mouse and keyboard, parallel port, serial port, firewire, phone line port, line in/line out).

PMSL

Lol, just like my Tecra M5 (I've got the DVD drive and battery-which is dead from age, I only need the FDD). I even bought a dock for it (4x USB 2.0, gigabit ethernet, VGA, DVI, PS/2 mouse and keyboard, parallel port, serial port, firewire, phone line port, line in/line out).

Yeah, i bought a dock for mine too haha though i haven't used in years. i wonder if i can find a way to accept a SATA drive in there, but being a dell, it's a proprietary bay.

Yeah, i bought a dock for mine too haha though i haven't used in years. i wonder if i can find a way to accept a SATA drive in there, but being a dell, it's a proprietary bay.

You'd be surprised, all that the bays use is a modified PATA connector that uses contacts instead of pins.

PMSL

You'd be surprised, all that the bays use is a modified PATA connector that uses contacts instead of pins.

i meant my modular bay. i know the pata connector uses contacts. that's how i managed to screw up 3 2.5" IDE drives. The pin-to-contacts connector jammed the pins and bent them all. my modular bay however looks like it's proprietary.

i meant my modular bay. i know the pata connector uses contacts. that's how i managed to screw up 3 2.5" IDE drives. The pin-to-contacts connector jammed the pins and bent them all. my modular bay however looks like it's proprietary.

I was talking about the modular bay.

PMSL

Oh man, I know this guy who just druels over anything AMD >_> There's no point in even mentioning other options of intel cpus that are WAY better. It's all because of the brand name. Like how people who own beats say "the sound quality is better" when its proven that the sound isn't even that good and their are brands that are WAAAY better than the quality of beats

>I own beats studios (whats wrong with me) xD

Well sound at least is slightly subjective.. Performance in a CPU is just objective.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Using fan control software (and motherboard fan headers) instead of a proper fan controller.

Have fun with your 1A fan headers.

Can't run Deltas off that.

I've 12 fans, which are hooked up to the cpu-fan port via molex-powered fan splitters. And they all work fine and also with max rpm if needed. It's (imho) way easier to control them by cpu-temps instead of always putting them to max when you want to game.

PC CPU i7 4770 non K Motherboard Asrock Z97 Extreme 9 RAM 32gb Corsair LP GPU 2x r9 290 Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo Storage 4x2TB WD Black in Raid 0, Samsung 840 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 PRO 256GB PSU Super Flower Golden Green 1000W Display(s) 3x Asus 24" Full HD Cooling Custom Watercooled, Radiators: 1x 420, 1x 360, 2x 240, 1x120 Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95 Mouse Mad Catz R.A.T. 7 Notebook Asus UX360UAK (i7 7500U, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD, 3200x1800 touch, 2 in 1)

Anti-static bags are conductive on the outside. They form a faraday cage around the outside to prevent static electricity from affecting the electronics inside. I'm not saying the conductivity is high but it is there.

No, because the same material is used for the entire bag, so the outside of the bag is not conductive. Come on why are we still debating this? It is proven that it is fine to put part on anti-static bags.

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

People who are only concerned with performance, The GPU may sound like a vacuum but its cheap! Why should you spend 20$ for a better cooler?

:/

No, because the same material is used for the entire bag, so the outside of the bag is not conductive.

Plastic can be engineered to be electrically conductive. http://www.rtpcompany.com/products/conductive/

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-02/24/electricity-conducting-plastics

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

People who constantly question why I need 3 monitors.

1) I don't need 3 monitors. I want 3 monitors and can afford 3 monitors, so I have 3 monitors!

2) It's useful! Let's see you watch a TV show on netflix, play a full screen game, monitor a skype chat, and keep an eye on component temps at the same time on your laptop!

3) Have you ever seen a game played in Surround? Like, in person? It has to be experienced to be fully appreciated. Same could be said about my Rift tho...

My Build 
i7-4790k @4.6GHz, 16GB GSkill Ares RAM, Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming G1, Strix 970, RM1000 PSU, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB Barracuda, 3TB WD Green, CM Storm Scout II

I was talking about the modular bay.

yeah, it doesn't use pins. it's something more like what the laptop battery terminals look like.

People who constantly question why I need 3 monitors.

1) I don't need 3 monitors. I want 3 monitors and can afford 3 monitors, so I have 3 monitors!

2) It's useful! Let's see you watch a TV show on netflix, play a full screen game, monitor a skype chat, and keep an eye on component temps at the same time on your laptop!

3) Have you ever seen a game played in Surround? Like, in person? It has to be experienced to be fully appreciated. Same could be said about my Rift tho...

Really, i would love to have 3 monitors tbh, since like you said it's super useful. i could surf the web on one screen, watch a movie on another, and game on the other one.

yeah, it doesn't use pins. it's something more like what the laptop battery terminals look like.

Really, i would love to have 3 monitors tbh, since like you said it's super useful. i could surf the web on one screen, watch a movie on another, and game on the other one.

My buddy just built his first comp, splurged on a 144Hz GSync monitor, was convinced I would love it so much when it arrived that I would sell my triple 1080p 60Hz monitors to buy just one Gsync display, and I have to say, not so much.

Sure, it looks fantastic when it sits around 35-50 fps, but I think I would rather just adjust my settings to keep my fps above 60 and enjoy the extra real estate. Needless to say, he's still convinced he has the better setup.

My Build 
i7-4790k @4.6GHz, 16GB GSkill Ares RAM, Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming G1, Strix 970, RM1000 PSU, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB Barracuda, 3TB WD Green, CM Storm Scout II

External dacs are overrated. You avoid the noise in your PC by moving it somewhere that get lots of interference from your mobile phone every few minutes; as well as whenever you receive a call.

My buddy just built his first comp, splurged on a 144Hz GSync monitor, was convinced I would love it so much when it arrived that I would sell my triple 1080p 60Hz monitors to buy just one Gsync display, and I have to say, not so much.

Sure, it looks fantastic when it sits around 35-50 fps, but I think I would rather just adjust my settings to keep my fps above 60 and enjoy the extra real estate. Needless to say, he's still convinced he has the better setup.

Really, real estate on a desktop is more valuable than the performance from a GSync monitor. I'd rather have 3 monitors over 1 GSync monitor. Would be even better if it were LG ultrawide monitors.

Not related to the builder of the actual PC, but it always bugs me when people consider any build without a high-end GPU to be a waste of money, without taking into consideration the purpose of the build itself. I can't recall how many times I've seen someone post an i7/16GB/lower end GPU setup that the OP specifically states is used for graphic design or editing with maybe some light gaming on the side... and then That One Dude has to chime in that an i5/8GB/GTX 980 config would have been "better".

“Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?”

Not related to the builder of the actual PC, but it always bugs me when people consider any build without a high-end GPU to be a waste of money, without taking into consideration the purpose of the build itself. I can't recall how many times I've seen someone post an i7/16GB/lower end GPU setup that the OP specifically states is used for graphic design or editing with maybe some light gaming on the side... and then That One Dude has to chime in that an i5/8GB/GTX 980 config would have been "better".

That's a combination of entitlement, a failure to understand real non gaming workloads, and not getting high performance parts are not one size fits all...my laptop for example does everything I need it too without high end gpu

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Anyone who wants me to build them a PC,
then blames me when something goes wrong THAT THEY DONE.
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \)

/╲/\╭( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)╮/\╱\

01010011 01000101 01001110 01000100 00100000 01001000 01000101 01001100 01010000 00101100 00100000 01010000 01000101 01001110 01000111 01010101 01001001 01001110 01010011 00100000 01000101 01010011 01000011 01000001 01010000 01000101 01000100 

It's subjective, but I guess he wants to impress you, and in a way thinks of you as a "sort-of" tech role model, therefore justifying his purchase

/╲/\╭( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)╮/\╱\

01010011 01000101 01001110 01000100 00100000 01001000 01000101 01001100 01010000 00101100 00100000 01010000 01000101 01001110 01000111 01010101 01001001 01001110 01010011 00100000 01000101 01010011 01000011 01000001 01010000 01000101 01000100