Pet peeves when it comes to people building PCs

ANewFace

What if I am a kid who gets money on my bday and Christmas or something and have 800 and I get more in December when it's January. Do you really want me to wait 11 months to get extra money?

No, you could wash your parents' car or that of your neighbors for a little extra money, mow their lawn, help with painting windows/doors/fences, etc. The money doesn't just appear by itself once you finish school, you'll need to work for it then too.

I think the only real dislike I see in a lot of builds is Black and Red and the fact that most Intel and AMD motherboards are either not truly black and a decent color compliment otherwise or they're a full black PCB and they have red. I like aesthetic (hence I'd probably build in either a windowed Fractal Design S or a mod Mac Pro with a Krait edition Mobo) Or the fact that they use ugly angular stuff. Though this annoyance isn't quite related to this topic but with all the unwarranted Console hate. Sure their graphics aren't on par with most PCs and sure a controller isn't as accurate or as fast as a keyboard and mouse. Yes consoles if you paid monthly or even yearly are going to cost more over a span 5+ years. However for XBL you can get a year for the price of a game (that's not too bad) and PSN I think that's about the same (but a little less). Personally my set up will probably end up being a Mac Pro, Gaming PC, and a PS4 [that would reside in the living room]

This look much better...

[spoiler=]

jCQUaiW.jpg

than something like this.

[spoiler=]1DT1uTU.jpg

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

list

I have every fan slot used except for the top 120mm, it is useless to me because my rad is already an exhaust up there and it would be extra noise for no reason.

6 Black + Blue Intel Systems/Repainting the heatsinks/VRM to go with it and vice versa.

I kinda just find that also boring nowadays?, I'd love to see more Black and Red Intel systems myself or black and blue for AMD.

I have a pure AMD rig that is black-blue (and a rainbow of wires)...

I'm asking people for their Intel/nvidia case badges though... just want to fool around with the stickers...

What if I am a kid who gets money on my bday and Christmas or something and have 800 and I get more in December when it's January. Do you really want me to wait 11 months to get extra money?

Is it really that hard to get $20? You could probably get it in half an hour working at the corner at night ;). But seriously just help somebody out or do some extra work for your parents or a neighbor. Shovel a driveway. Not very difficult. Hell, take $20 from your bank account (unless it's the same money). 

If I go Nvidia/Intel again I'm getting one of those Gigabyte Sniper boards I saw on Amazon.  Black, Blue, and dat Green.

I guess I don't really have too many hardware preferences just the fact it would be able to do 1440p @ 30+ FPS and boot reasonably fast and look nice (Black/White and sleek case [i.E Define R4/R5/S]) ...

Like AMD and Intel they both are pretty good (AMD you just need more energy to run a decent AMD system) and Nvidia and AMD again they're both good but AMD you just have to pay a little bit in power and power in MN is like 10 cents/kWh so not bad.

I hate it when people can't do a decent wiring job and make their computers look messy. I also I don't like when they put the CPU in AFTER they put the motherboard in. xD Silly I know but it is annoying. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

Alright here's my pet peeve. People that say that the gtx 970 is overkill for 1080p gaming. It isn't really imo, even if you're only playing at 60hz. Take a look at benchmarks. I like to use GTA5 as an example since many people play that game. I believe you get a staggering 80 fps average on highest settings. Some people might be content with less than that, and that's totally fine. It obviously depends on the games you're playing and the settings. Just my opinion.

People who have a 1000$ budget and get a 4790k ,an ROG Board and dominator platinums, yeah.

*turns right to look into case*

But I went over $1000 by a mile :P

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Using fan control software (and motherboard fan headers) instead of a proper fan controller. 

Have fun with your 1A fan headers. 

Can't run Deltas off that. 

I control most of my fans through fan xpert on my Asus board. Works just fine. Nothing wrong with this. 

Not everyone runs deltas. It's one of those by-case scenarios. Some people need separate fan controllers, some don't.

-comments about ram-

About system ram: It's a situational thing. Some people need more than 8GB, some don't. I've been gaming with 8GB for almost 2 years now and have yet to max it out. Also usually have chrome running at the same time. It's not an issue for me nor for many others. 

I'm the guy who got a locked cpu and put it in a z series board . . . I wanted to stay away from overclocking because i thought my pc would catch alight if i tried it and i couldnt find the h series equivalent of the board . . . regretting it a bit now but lol oh well. 

You can OC your locked CPU a little if you want by adjusting the base clock. I'm running my i5-4570 at 3.7. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I control most of my fans through fan xpert on my Asus board. Works just fine. Nothing wrong with this. 

Not everyone runs deltas. It's one of those by-case scenarios. Some people need separate fan controllers, some don't.

Everyone needs Deltas. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

People on "Budget builds" with like 6300's, and a 100$ case, then a H100i.

Or people on "PURE GAMING BUDGET BUILDS" of like 500 but get an 8350 instead of a 6350.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

8GB of RAM is a good baseline to start at.

Yep, I've managed to use over 8GB a couple of times with my i5, so I'm glad I bought another 8GB of RAM when I could get it for $20 a stick. Its just a shame that I can only find high density 4GB DDR2 sticks-because I'm still a bit wary of the compatibility with my P5Q Deluxe.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

People who get 60gb SSDs just for the OS drives me crazy.

I made that mistake, I'm regretting it.

Sig under construction.

Anyone complaining about the way thermal compound is applied and that their method is better

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

Anyone complaining about the way thermal compound is applied and that their method is better

TBH I don't think the method matters too much as long as there is full IHS coverage.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Always have a static bracelet but never use it. Just show it to people. 

I bought one, put it on, it was just in the way. Never used since. :D 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

About system ram: It's a situational thing. Some people need more than 8GB, some don't. I've been gaming with 8GB for almost 2 years now and have yet to max it out. Also usually have chrome running at the same time. It's not an issue for me nor for many others. 

You can OC your locked CPU a little if you want by adjusting the base clock. I'm running my i5-4570 at 3.7. ;)

Could I run my 4790 at a higher base clock? How do you do that exactly? Message me.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

Omg how??

We all have them, those things that drive you crazy when other people do them. I have two things that people who are building PCs do, that drive me insane. 

1. People who build a $500-$600 PC and spend $100+ on a case. At that price range you should try to squeeze every bit of performance you can out of your PC, if you spend that much of your budget on a case that is just stupid. You loose so much performance for the outside of you PC to look good. I wouldn't recommend spending that much on case unless you are spending $1000+.

2. People who have VERY strict budgets. The people who say, for example, give me a $800 build and you give them something that costs $820, and they say, "That's to expensive I can't go over $800." That's ridicules you can spend $20 more to get something better. And don't say you don't have the money for it, you can get $20. The same thing goes for components, people will say, "I need a GPU that costs $330." You give them a 970 for $350, and they say they can't go that high, yes you can.  

Those are my two biggest pet peeves. What are some of your guys? 

Edit: Just thought of another one. People who don't put their GPU in the top slot.

Edit 2: Guys who get a locked CPU and, (A) (this one is the least bad) Put them in a Z series board, ( B ) put expensive cooling on them like H100is and NH-D15s, ( C ) Put them in a really expensive motherboard. I saw this guy the other day who had a i5 4590 on a sabertooth Z97 with a Dark Rock 3.

pc its all about the look and the performance but it depends on what you want do maybe i want my pc to look great maybe i dont want the look i want the performance so ya at the end of the day it come to u.

Not with the new stuff, but the older ya.

At almost 1080p on Ultra the x4 860K plays Far Cry 4 fairly smoothly

[spoiler=]

GTA V @ 1080p Ultra plays pretty good on the X4 860K as well.

[spoiler=]

I mean the i5 4690K does do better but to be fair the X4 860K is like a $70 to $75 CPU whereas the i5 4690K is a $200 CPU.

[spoiler=]

I'm not sure how well it would perform with 1440p but whatever.

Cheap unbranded PSUs, the biggest sin of all. Also in a similar vein, massively overpowered PSUs for their build. Head room for a second GPU, fair enough unless you're mini-ITX, but 1200w PSU for a system that at most will draw little over half that, no, just no.

So people whose power requirements correspond to the peak of their PSU's energy efficiency curve annoy you... Not to mention that those massively OTT PSUs are almost ubiquitously fanless up until about 600-800W power usage, which is a massive plus to lots of people.

People who build their first computer but then pay extra for a company to actually build and ship it, i always would want to build my own pc. I exactly know how it was built, where everything was put and built to my high standards for most things

Edit 2: Guys who get a locked CPU and, (A) (this one is the least bad) Put them in a Z series board, ( B ) put expensive cooling on them like H100is and NH-D15s, ( C ) Put them in a really expensive motherboard. I saw this guy the other day who had a i5 4590 on a sabertooth Z97 with a Dark Rock 3.

well, some times all you need a a certian CPU, 

like this one build. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Dd6FnQ

i dont need the board, but its the board i -want-. 

sure i could save some money, but the only other option similar is biege as shit and doesnt have the features im going to need. 

and the cooler, i have a 65watt i5 and a dark rock pro 3, 

why?

not because i -NEED- it, because im a tempurature enthusiast, and people will get pissed if i water cool components like this. 

i, personally will never need more than this, i dont wanna water cool and i want the lowest temps i can with a very specific mobo. 

:/

whats to be peaved about? O.o 

personally?

my biggest pet peave is when people use a single 200mm where they could have used two 120mm. 

YOU COULD HAVE 1.75 TIMES THE AIR FLOW BUT YOU DEFY LOGIC Y U NO MOAR FANZ

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen