Experiences with non-techies

7 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

... that's not old! lol

I'm 38 and I don't consider myself "old" ... talking about old, it's my Grand-Pa's birthday this weekend, he's turning 95! :D (not joking!)

But does your grandpa use a full blown Windows 10 laptop?

My grandma does and she's 78.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

I'm 38 and I don't consider myself "old" ... talking about old, it's my Grand-Pa's birthday this weekend, he's turning 95! :D (not joking!)

My Grandpa turned 74** today.

Oops, 74, not 84.

Edited by RahulR

15 hours ago, cummerou1 said:

HAH, 18 years old master race 

download.jpg

dont get happy, i am turn 18 in 3 months

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

One of the most annoying things I experience at work are when people buy a new computer, and ask us to download their facebook, and transfer it from their old computer.

The hardest part is trying to explain that it's a website.  Most common replies are "What's an internet browser?" They really don't get that you just have to login and you can have all your content again.  

The other thing that gets pretty annoying is when you try to help someone out with registering for software, like an anti virus or office, and they can't fill out the forms themselves for their email or phone number without being walked through it personally.  

5 minutes ago, RavagedOsiris said:

One of the most annoying things I experience at work are when people buy a new computer, and ask us to download their facebook, and transfer it from their old computer.

The hardest part is trying to explain that it's a website.  Most common replies are "What's an internet browser?" They really don't get that you just have to login and you can have all your content again.  

The other thing that gets pretty annoying is when you try to help someone out with registering for software, like an anti virus or office, and they can't fill out the forms themselves for their email or phone number without being walked through it personally.  

Just as bad as when you ask them to put their password in and they look dumbfounded. My dad does this all the time. He looks at me like whats the password? Im like Im not a password manager. Hell I cant remember all of my passwords. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Just as bad as when you ask them to put their password in and they look dumbfounded. My dad does this all the time. He looks at me like whats the password? Im like Im not a password manager. Hell I cant remember all of my passwords. 

I had someone call and ask the other day what their password was, saying since she bought the computer from us, then we must have the password.  

She persisted saying things like "Well how many letters is it? Are there any numbers? How long or short can it be?" 

It doesn't really surprise me anymore.  

On 6/24/2016 at 11:53 PM, JoePro87 said:
1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

What? You aren't your dad's password manager.... come on man... LOL

On a more serious note, I know people who write their passwords on a piece of paper. I'm actually one of them. I legitimately have 6 account/passwords I have to remember just for work everyday, on top of a bunch of other account/passwords for bank accounts, etc.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

13 minutes ago, deVIZtation said:

Ehh. as long as people don't know where said piece of paper is it really isn't a big deal. On a side note, anyone here other than me using their routers default password for Wi-Fi?

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

23 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Ehh. as long as people don't know where said piece of paper is it really isn't a big deal. On a side note, anyone here other than me using their routers default password for Wi-Fi?

me but i really should change it. (if only my parents would let me do it)

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

IMO, everyone need to pass a exam and get a license the basics on, how to use a computer, so technicians can focus on real problems, instead of dealing with nonsense.

Imagine you don't need to pass a exam and get a license on driving a car. Think about the amount of phone calls, car dealers will get with people asking dumb questions like, how to I put my car in reverse or why isn't my wheels turning.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

9 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

IMO, everyone need to pass a exam and get a license the basics on, how to use a computer, so technicians can focus on real problems, instead of dealing with nonsense.

Imagine you don't need to pass a exam and get a license on driving a car. Think about the amount of phone calls, car dealers will get with people asking dumb questions like, how to I put my car in reverse or why isn't my wheels turning.

It would be a good idea but I wouldn't be surprised if car dealers do actually get calls from people asking about simple things to do with their car.

1 minute ago, brickster said:

It would be a good idea but I wouldn't be surprised if car dealers do actually get calls from people asking about simple things to do with their car.

Maybe when there is a actual problem, not for how to tutorials

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

My mom thought that if she gave my brother (that lives in another city) her web tv site´s account password so he could watch tv online since he does not have one himself, she might get charged extra for data (you can watch on your phone) when he was watching using her account because it said so on the website. I had to explain to her that it does not use some sort of voodoo magic to leech data off of her, he uses his own. "Well then why are they warning me about it" well that´s because if you use it yourself on your phone you might get charged if you use too much data. "Are you sure?" Yeah im sure mom "okay"

I work with non-techies quite a bit and by far the most laugh inducing experience was when I went to configure some old granny's TV, her TV couldn't pick up any channels because the access point had moved so I had to press a couple of buttons and wait 30 seconds for the decryptifier to do it's thing. When all that was done  i said ''aight m'am it's all done'' and she just stood there awkwardly in awe. ''that was it ?'' she said , ''Yes that was it'' I replied and switched to a channel to prove it. She then got up from her chair hugged me , kissed my cheek , and said that I should be and IT and gave me 5 euros xD. In her defense she is like 80 years old so i'm hardly surprised, she is quite charming too i might add :3.

Edited by Raptor_zzr
Typo

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Something bold and profound about the collapse of Moore's law resulting in a massive

market crash and the fall of capitalism or some shit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So back in February a friend of mine was getting parts for his second gaming PC (first was prebuilt and bought from some local tech store). He REALLY isnt a techy guy, he didnt even know the specs of his first gaming PC which cost over 1000 euros...He asked my help with choosing the parts as he basically had no idea what he was doing. So i suggested a R9 390 with a skylake i5-6600k and 8 gigs of RAM, good for maxing out games on 1080p, he doesnt want to worry about fps issues etc. (he doesnt even know what fps means). So once ive listed him all the parts and answered a couple dozen questions he had about how all this stuff works his dad orders the parts. The thing is he forgot windows...The day the parts came he asked if he could just download windows 7...One of the Biggest facepalms in years...a guy who owns a 1000€+ gaming PC doesnt know windows costs...and then he blames me for it and says i never should have intervened in this (he literally asked me help multiple times)...He did get windows 10 and had to pay for it but luckily the dust has settled, although he still blames me for it, he asked about pretty much every other part and even about the windows installation but didnt ask how to get windows itself...

This same guy also doesnt trust Amazon...Why? Because his dad ran into "some payment issues" in ebay years ago...He only buys his stuff from finnish sellers and could have saved a noticeable amount of money with his gaming PC as well but no...He is probably the most stubborn person i know.

"Give a man a mask and he will become his true self." -Oscar Wilde

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i5 6600k @ 3.5GHz GPU MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Motherboard Asus Z170 Pro Gaming RAM Kingston Fury 2x4GB DDR4 2666MHz PSU XFX 650W Storage Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, Kingston 128GB SSD OS Windows 10

3 minutes ago, Iron couch said:

So back in February a friend of mine was getting parts for his second gaming PC (first was prebuilt and bought from some local tech store). He REALLY isnt a techy guy, he didnt even know the specs of his first gaming PC which cost over 1000 euros...He asked my help with choosing the parts as he basically had no idea what he was doing. So i suggested a R9 390 with a skylake i5-6600k and 8 gigs of RAM, good for maxing out games on 1080p, he doesnt want to worry about fps issues etc. (he doesnt even know what fps means). So once ive listed him all the parts and answered a couple dozen questions he had about how all this stuff works his dad orders the parts. The thing is he forgot windows...The day the parts came he asked if he could just download windows 7...One of the Biggest facepalms in years...a guy who owns a 1000€+ gaming PC doesnt know windows costs...and then he blames me for it and says i never should have intervened in this (he literally asked me help multiple times)...He did get windows 10 and had to pay for it but luckily the dust has settled, although he still blames me for it, he asked about pretty much every other part and even about the windows installation but didnt ask how to get windows itself...

This same guy also doesnt trust Amazon...Why? Because his dad ran into "some payment issues" in ebay years ago...He only buys his stuff from finnish sellers and could have saved a noticeable amount of money with his gaming PC as well but no...He is probably the most stubborn person i know.

Yeah I have one of these people . . . I try not to think about them xD 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Something bold and profound about the collapse of Moore's law resulting in a massive

market crash and the fall of capitalism or some shit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6 minutes ago, Iron couch said:

i had to teach my friend how to use windows.

7 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

me.. all of my fucking devices/parents/whatever needs to get updated and im too lazy to do that.

if anything, the 12 random charactor combination should be secure..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

9 hours ago, themctipers said:

me.. all of my fucking devices/parents/whatever needs to get updated and im too lazy to do that.

if anything, the 12 random charactor combination should be secure..

Not always, routers from UPC in my country have a huge security issue, where the wifi password is tied to the SSID which is tied to the serial number of the device. Some people figured it out and made a script that can tell you the password, when you give it it's SSID.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

20 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

Not always, routers from UPC in my country have a huge security issue, where the wifi password is tied to the SSID which is tied to the serial number of the device. Some people figured it out and made a script that can tell you the password, when you give it it's SSID.

oh, mine is just some random hash.

i dont think its tied to anything, the serial number is less cryptic.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

20 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

My wifi doesn't have a password. I literally live in the middle of a forest so it isn't a problem :D 

13 hours ago, Iron couch said:

I find this applies to about half of older people i know, they only pay online with bank transfers :P. At least i managed to convince my dad that paypal is safe...

This is one of those rare occasions where i am actually asking for a friend who has less tech experience then me. Basically, his gpu is showing a green light, so its getting power and the hardware is fine, but when he presses the power button, nothing happens. I told him to check and make sure his power button header was connected correctly to the motherboard. It was. Any ideas? Its strange since he left for vacation, came back, and his pc refused to work. By the way we are talking on skype with no video connection so this is extra difficult.

EDIT: he was pressing the reset button.

Yeah, he really isn't that tech savvy.