Experiences with non-techies

On 1/25/2016 at 1:19 PM, deWaardt said:

You can't argue Apple users.

The fact that they sell their 2006 macbook white that has completely yellowed and a broken touchpad for €300, just because it's an Apple tells me enough.

Apple users also always tend to compare their 2015 Mac Pro with a 2004 pentium 4, and then show how slow the Windows machine is and say "told you Apple is better"

Ugh...

No offence to the real Apple users tho that DO have an idea what the hell they are talking about, those people probably have a better reason to buy a Mac than "HURRDURR APPLE LOGO"

I feel you. You just summed up a huge chunk of my family... One of my cousins told me that PCs are not as strong as Macs because "Macs are what Hollywood uses". SMH

When I was excited about jumping to 16GB of RAM he told me his Macbook Pro had 1TB. SMFH

One time he used a PC with a single core celeron @ 1.6ghz and 1GB of RAM running Vista SP0 as a comparison to his 2012 Macbook Pro. SMMFH

He's still a amazing person, he just doesn't know shit about computers. lol

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

32 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

I feel you. You just summed up a huge chunk of my family... One of my cousins told me that PCs are not as strong as Macs because "Macs are what Hollywood uses". SMH

When I was excited about jumping to 16GB of RAM he told me his Macbook Pro had 1TB. SMFH

One time he used a PC with a single core celeron @ 1.6ghz and 1GB of RAM running Vista SP0 as a comparison to his 2012 Macbook Pro. SMMFH

He's still a amazing person, he just doesn't know shit about computers. lol

Your rig is more of a match for a Mac Pro...not a MacBook Pro. LOL

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

8 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

This thread is starting to remind me why 90% of the people behind the keyboard of a computer drive me up the wall. 

Do you mean us or "them"?  lol

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Do you mean us or "them"?  lol

Both - some people here can't look at things objectively, or take into account that not everything to do with a computer comes down the cheapest laptop with 8GB or RAM and an i5-6500 (re: every Apple hate thread ever, or AMD/Nvidia fanboy).  Meanwhile "Them" just make stuff up, don't take the time to learn basics, or seem to just turn a blind eye to technology and then blame me when it doesn't work because "it doesn't work like it used to". 

41 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Your rig is more of a match for a Mac Pro...not a MacBook Pro. LOL

B-But, Macs are what the professionals use! LMAO

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

I remember like 3 years ago when I didn't know much about computers (I knew what processors are and hard drives and graphics cards, but that's about it) my friend who was a big computer guy built his own pc and he told me the graphics card was a gtx 680 4GB model, and my other friend bought a gtx 660 2GB and I was convinced that the friend with the 680 had a better computer (which he did) because he had 4GB and the other one had 2GB, while not knowing what it means for a graphics card to have "memory"

14 minutes ago, ShrDc said:

I remember like 3 years ago when I didn't know much about computers (I knew what processors are and hard drives and graphics cards, but that's about it) my friend who was a big computer guy built his own pc and he told me the graphics card was a gtx 680 4GB model, and my other friend bought a gtx 660 2GB and I was convinced that the friend with the 680 had a better computer (which he did) because he had 4GB and the other one had 2GB, while not knowing what it means for a graphics card to have "memory"

I'm still a bit in the dark about how graphics memory affects performance but I'm happy I've at least learned that how much a card has is not the sole determining factor in GPU performance.  

1 hour ago, Belgarathian said:

Both - some people here can't look at things objectively, or take into account that not everything to do with a computer comes down the cheapest laptop with 8GB or RAM and an i5-6500 (re: every Apple hate thread ever, or AMD/Nvidia fanboy).  Meanwhile "Them" just make stuff up, don't take the time to learn basics, or seem to just turn a blind eye to technology and then blame me when it doesn't work because "it doesn't work like it used to". 

A laptop i5-6500...?

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

Also, I taught my girlfriend (she's pretty smart, but don't a lot about computers hardware) what RAM is, and when I told her that my old Galaxy S3 has 1 gig of RAM, she told me that her Iphone 6 has 64 GB lol. At least, once I told her the difference between the storage and the RAM, I think she understood. It was just really funny to me at the moment.

32 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

A laptop i5-6500...?

Doesn't exist - after a quick Google - i5-6920HQ. It was an example though, so it doesn't really matter. 

1 hour ago, Belgarathian said:

Doesn't exist - after a quick Google - i5-6920HQ. It was an example though, so it doesn't really matter. 

There is no i5 6920hq.... Only an i7 6920hq. I think you got something messed up :D 

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I'm still a bit in the dark about how graphics memory affects performance but I'm happy I've at least learned that how much a card has is not the sole determining factor in GPU performance.  

Lesson time! :D 

So basically there's two ways (at least that I can think of) in which GPU memory will reduce performance.

Way 1: Too little bandwidth. Say your GPU is attempting to render an image. If it is trying to get some textures or some variables or whatever from the memory, but the memory isn't fast enough, the GPU will be sitting there waiting for the info to come from the memory. While it's waiting on the memory, the GPU is idling for a short period. Since you're spending g more time doing no work, performance is reduced. Note: The GB/s number isn't the only thing that defines actual memory bandwidth. Compression does too.

Way 2: Not enough memory. Say you have a 2 gb card, but whatever game you're playing needs to store 4gb worth of information. The game will end up having to store 2gb memory in its own memory, and the other 2gb in the system memory, which is a LOT slower to access (partially because dram is just slower than VRAM; partially because the pcie slot also is a bit of a bottleneck). This will end up giving you the same thing as what Way 1 gives you, except in a MUCH worse way. That's why you never want to have memory usage by your GPU exceed VRAM, as it can effective performance in a horrible way and can cause stuttering and whatnot.

Hope this makes sense! :) 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

There is no i5 6920hq.... Only an i7 6920hq. I think you got something messed up :D 

Lesson time! :D 

So basically there's two ways (at least that I can think of) in which GPU memory will reduce performance.

Way 1: Too little bandwidth. Say your GPU is attempting to render an image. If it is trying to get some textures or some variables or whatever from the memory, but the memory isn't fast enough, the GPU will be sitting there waiting for the info to come from the memory. While it's waiting on the memory, the GPU is idling for a short period. Since you're spending g more time doing no work, performance is reduced. Note: The GB/s number isn't the only thing that defines actual memory bandwidth. Compression does too.

Way 2: Not enough memory. Say you have a 2 gb card, but whatever game you're playing needs to store 4gb worth of information. The game will end up having to store 2gb memory in its own memory, and the other 2gb in the system memory, which is a LOT slower to access (partially because dram is just slower than VRAM; partially because the pcie slot also is a bit of a bottleneck). This will end up giving you the same thing as what Way 1 gives you, except in a MUCH worse way. That's why you never want to have memory usage by your GPU exceed VRAM, as it can effective performance in a horrible way and can cause stuttering and whatnot.

Hope this makes sense! :) 

I think it mostly does thank you.  

When I'd gotten the GTX 960 I have in my secondary desktop I got the 4GB version instead of the 2GB.  Hopefully this means I chose the better option.  

Btw do you know if the 960 had the same 3.5GB/.5GB thing that the 970 has?

11 hours ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

His notebook has an i7-5500U, 12 gigs of RAM, and a GT 840M.

A Broadwell CPU matched with an 800 series card?

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

Coffee time. O.o

This guy:

-snappo-

wut

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Capture.PNG

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

9 minutes ago, RahulR said:

WTF********************************************************************!!!

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

1 minute ago, Pascal... said:

WTF********************************************************************!!!

That's Indian television for you :P 

1 minute ago, RahulR said:

That's Indian television for you :P 

I know, but what the F******************************************************k

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

"Do you know what cable mangament mens !!!!!!!"0bce947f5bf70cf25259ecfc8948d712.jpg

10 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

Coffee time. O.o

This guy:

2016-07-15_15-33-46.jpg

this kid.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

How to North Korea :%BB%F5%B7%CE%B3%AA%BF%C2%B0%D4%C0%D3%B1%

10 minutes ago, themctipers said:

snip

a Pentium isn't meant for recording heck you can even argue that it isn't powerful enough for  AAA gaming

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD