Experiences with non-techies

49 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's windows XP... with SP2 no less... how does he live?

Hey!  I miss XP... ?  

It wasn't as flashy as 7 or 10 but it was still nice.  Also let me play older Win95/98/ME or 2000 whichever it was called games that 7 and 10 won't work with. 

I'm thinking of you Star Trek Armada!  ?  I miss that game...

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Hey!  I miss XP... ?  

It wasn't as flashy as 7 or 10 but it was still nice.  Also let me play older Win95/98/ME or 2000 whichever it was called games that 7 and 10 won't work with. 

I'm thinking of you Star Trek Armada!  ?  I miss that game...

Run on vm

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

24 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I don't know how to do that...  >_>

Get XP and run it in VBox.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

11 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Get XP and run it in VBox.

Maybe I should make a topic about this?

Idk where/how to get XP and I've never heard of VBox.

Back to topic... well roughly!

It's about my *genius* friend, the one that thinks VRAM is what GPU power is all about! (Feel free to look at my posts in this thread ;))

This is OLD tech ... what I mean by that is "mechanical tech" !

Last weekend he was working on his lawnmower, he had took the whole engine apart, cleaned it, put new gaskets and was putting everything back together.

Forward to today, we're talking and out of curiosity I asked about the lawnmower.

I don't know how he does that, but I've seen him do stuff like this so many times and yet I'm still surprised every time!

So basically, he dismantled the 3hp 2 stroke engine, without plans, without taking pictures, without looking online for videos on how to do it and without paying attention to what he was doing, so when he put everything back together he mounted the camshaft out of alignment, and apparently some parts were even backwards!!!

He realized something was wrong when he was trying to start it and the engine would exhaust through the intake...

I'm still wondering how he "survived" life that long... is what I told him after I was able to take a breath because I was laughing so much!!! xD

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

13 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

*snip*

lol that took a different turn than I was expecting.  I thought you were going to say something like "he took apart the whole engine and rebuilt it perfectly with no instructions or images, yet he can't do the simplest thing on a computer" or something like that :p 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

It's about my *genius* friend, the one that thinks VRAM is what GPU power is all about! (Feel free to look at my posts in this thread ;))

Last weekend he was working on his lawnmower, he had took the whole engine apart, cleaned it, put new gaskets and was putting everything back together.

Forward to today, we're talking and out of curiosity I asked about the lawnmower.

I don't know how he does that, but I've seen him do stuff like this so many times and yet I'm still surprised every time!

So basically, he dismantled the 3hp 2 stroke engine, without plans, without taking pictures, without looking online for videos on how to do it and without paying attention to what he was doing, so when he put everything back together he mounted the camshaft out of alignment, and apparently some parts were even backwards!!!

He realized something was wrong when he was trying to start it and the engine would exhaust through the intake...

I'm still wondering how he "survived" life that long... is what I told him after I was able to take a breath because I was laughing so much!!! xD

52 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

lol that took a different turn than I was expecting.  I thought you were going to say something like "he took apart the whole engine and rebuilt it perfectly with no instructions or images, yet he can't do the simplest thing on a computer" or something like that :P

This man has the DIY abilities of Jeremy Clarkson. 

Ok once again a story about me. 

This happened in march. I had just bough my first pc with a i5-6500 and I really wanted to overclock it (BCLK) (if some remembers my how to bclk overclock thread. I had a purple unicorn as dp then). I had not bought a after market cooler yet and some posted saying that it would be fine on a stock cooler just a bit hot (85). I oced it to 4 ghz on 1.325V .

Dumbass me did not consider that package temps is not equal to core temps. One day i booted up the pc with the side panel on, windows hung and crashed. LOL

I got the processor back from RMA a week ago. YAYAYYA a new processor for free. (and a hyper 212 evo)

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Honestly, non-techies can actually be so annoying...

My friend comes over to my place with his laptop, and we play Overwatch together. I show him my first, new rig, and he seems pretty impressed. His notebook has an i7-5500U, 12 gigs of RAM, and a GT 840M. He has to play the game on low settings at 900p for playable framerates, while I'm maxing games out at Ultrawide with my 290X. He asks me for the specs of the system. (He's sort of a techie...well...not really.) I tell him I have an i5-6500, 8 gigs of RAM, and a 290X. 

He starts saying his PC is better because of the i7-branding. And because it's got 4 extra gigs of RAM. He says the only reason it's slower is because it's got a slower GPU. And then he starts saying that his 5K iMac (he has one at his place) could easily outperform my gaming rig, were there to be a Mac version of Overwatch.

Checking Apple site now. Highest configuration is that with a thermal-throttled 4790K, Radeon M395X, and 32 gigs of RAM (which they charge an $800 premium over the 8 gig version). He purchased it from an Apple Store, so I kind of doubt they sell that model there. And even if they did, the M395X is only about on par with a desktop 380 at best. Plus, he would be trying to drive the game at 5K. Which a 1080-SLI rig can't do. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

8 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Excuse me while I go die from laughing so hard.  lol 

I can Understand you 

from - Mr.Cat                                                                                                                        https://linus.lol

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

2 hours ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Honestly, non-techies can actually be so annoying...

My friend comes over to my place with his laptop, and we play Overwatch together. I show him my first, new rig, and he seems pretty impressed. His notebook has an i7-5500U, 12 gigs of RAM, and a GT 840M. He has to play the game on low settings at 900p for playable framerates, while I'm maxing games out at Ultrawide with my 290X. He asks me for the specs of the system. (He's sort of a techie...well...not really.) I tell him I have an i5-6500, 8 gigs of RAM, and a 290X. 

He starts saying his PC is better because of the i7-branding. And because it's got 4 extra gigs of RAM. He says the only reason it's slower is because it's got a slower GPU. And then he starts saying that his 5K iMac (he has one at his place) could easily outperform my gaming rig, were there to be a Mac version of Overwatch.

Checking Apple site now. Highest configuration is that with a thermal-throttled 4790K, Radeon M395X, and 32 gigs of RAM (which they charge an $800 premium over the 8 gig version). He purchased it from an Apple Store, so I kind of doubt they sell that model there. And even if they did, the M395X is only about on par with a desktop 380 at best. Plus, he would be trying to drive the game at 5K. Which a 1080-SLI rig can't do. 

Your friend hurts my brain.  No one in their right mind buys a Mac for gaming nor should a sane person say they can outclass a respectable gaming Windows PC.  

Technically your friend could install Windows on their iMac but it still wouldn't be any better at running games than before.

Side questions: How does a 290X compare to Nvidia cards in terms of performance?  I'm not trying to imply snatching bad about it just trying to get an idea of how well it performs in general since I'm not familiar with AMD GPUs.

Is a 4790K thermal limited by default or as a result of how the CPU cooling is set up on a Mac?

Had someone once ring up and say there was a spider stuck inside their monitor, that it was running along the monitor and asked what to do... quite frankly I didn't even think it was possible, they wanted me to remote over to 'view' the spider even though I suggested if it was an actual spider it would not be seen on a remote support session... haha!

Jr. Systems Administrator

*All my opinions are my own based on my Technical Experiences and Tech Reviews!

12 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Your friend hurts my brain.  No one in their right mind buys a Mac for gaming nor should a sane person say they can outclass a respectable gaming Windows PC.  

Technically your friend could install Windows on their iMac but it still wouldn't be any better at running games than before.

Side questions: How does a 290X compare to Nvidia cards in terms of performance?  I'm not trying to imply snatching bad about it just trying to get an idea of how well it performs in general since I'm not familiar with AMD GPUs.

Is a 4790K thermal limited by default or as a result of how the CPU cooling is set up on a Mac?

My 290X is a little above a GTX 970 with the factory overclock on my Windforce cooler. Not a match for your 1070 (damn, you're a lucky guy). It's my first build, and I built it just around two weeks ago, so I haven't tried overclocking it any further. Was just a little behind a 780 Ti back in the day...or so I've heard. The Nvidia equivalent...not really any....sits right between a 970 and 780 Ti. I could probably get some better performance if I install more case fans and OC it a little.

Well...Linus' video on the iMac shows that the performance of the 4790K in it is limited by the horrible cooling solution. It would still outperform a 6500, but I doubt my friend ordered the top model off of the Apple site. Probably a core i5 in there. Also with a terrible cooling solution. It's not like the CPU's going to bottleneck the M395X, anyway...LOL

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

56 minutes ago, MatthewsTech said:

Had someone once ring up and say there was a spider stuck inside their monitor, that it was running along the monitor and asked what to do... quite frankly I didn't even think it was possible, they wanted me to remote over to 'view' the spider even though I suggested if it was an actual spider it would not be seen on a remote support session... haha!

Oh dear Godoka kill it with fire!  ?  I HATE spiders...

Does it count as related if I mention that twice, not just once but twice, I've found a small spider in the same area of my monitor?  Idk what made them find it so appealing but I really hope it never happens again.

Edit: Where's the "eep that scared me!" button?  lol

1 hour ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

My 290X is a little above a GTX 970 with the factory overclock on my Windforce cooler. Not a match for your 1070 (damn, you're a lucky guy). It's my first build, and I built it just around two weeks ago, so I haven't tried overclocking it any further. Was just a little behind a 780 Ti back in the day...or so I've heard. The Nvidia equivalent...not really any....sits right between a 970 and 780 Ti. I could probably get some better performance if I install more case fans and OC it a little.

Well...Linus' video on the iMac shows that the performance of the 4790K in it is limited by the horrible cooling solution. It would still outperform a 6500, but I doubt my friend ordered the top model off of the Apple site. Probably a core i5 in there. Also with a terrible cooling solution. It's not like the CPU's going to bottleneck the M395X, anyway...LOL

If it's as good as a 970 then you've still got a good GPU.  I mainly wanted a 1070 so I could max out a fee games I have that my 970 could come close but not quite max out at 1080p and still give at least 60fps like the reboot Tomb Raider games.  I did get very lucky that it was available to order for a few hours weeks ago.  I had to wait at least 2 weeks after I placed the order before I got the card and I count myself lucky I didn't have to wait far longer than that.  

Is a M395X not very good?  I assume it isn't given typical Apple GPU trends.

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

...Is a M395X not very good?  I assume it isn't given typical Apple GPU trends.

The M395X GPU is actually only found in the 5K iMac...no other vendor is known to put it into their systems. It's AMD's flagship mobile GPU, but the performance isn't great. About on par with a 970M, which is about on par with a desktop 960, which is a little behind a desktop 380. Lags behind the 980M significantly. This is the reason why AMD is failing so horribly in the industry. Only reason I got a 290X was because I found a deal for a used one at only $250 CAD. (About $195 USD. Yes, the 480 offers similar performance, but we Canadians have to put up with this thing called HST which pays for our free healthcare.) I impulse-bought that, then found a deal for a 780 Ti (used) for only $200 CAD...hard luck.

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

48 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Oh dear Godoka kill it with fire!  ?  I HATE spiders...

Does it count as related if I mention that twice, not just once but twice, I've found a small spider in the same area of my monitor?  Idk what made them find it so appealing but I really hope it never happens again.

Edit: Where's the "eep that scared me!" button?  lol

Haha I wouldn't be the one going to get it, she didn't seem that bothered - mentioning "Oh I'll just keep it as a pet" or something as apparently it was just running along the taskbar area? Bizarre! Probably one of the strangest things I have heard on the phone xD

Jr. Systems Administrator

*All my opinions are my own based on my Technical Experiences and Tech Reviews!

18 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

I was expecting him to say something like "oh I found 6gb of vram in my lawnmower so it can run games at higher fps than you can"

?

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Both iirc

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270