Experiences with non-techies

Today in class someone got their essay back with a 50% because they didn't have anything capitalized. His excuse? "I couldn't find shift!"

...Seriously? You are a junior in high school and you can't find one of the two shift keys on a keyboard?

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Today in class someone got their essay back with a 50% because they didn't have anything capitalized. His excuse? "I couldn't find shift!"

...Seriously? You are a junior in high school and you can't find one of the two shift keys on a keyboard?

Not as bad as looking for the 'l' key BOTH TIMES when typing 'hello'. I genuinely saw a 9 year-old do that...I was 10 at the time and although I couldn't touchtype I at least knew that the letter I pressed less than a second ago hadn't moved.

so our art class got 2 new rendering PC's and i decited to chek them out...

I7-4790k

GTX980 and a quidro

32gb ram...

but after that i opened conttrole panel i noticed something weard... THEY BOTH ARE RUNING 32BIT WINDOWS 8 

My school is retardet...

steal all the memory 

steal all the memory

This. Name your price (GBP) and remember to consider adequate packaging as a factor.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

steal all the memory 

or tell the school that they are a bunch of retards

Today there was an iPad in the library (I was loaning them out) with no interwebz connection since somehow they all lost connection over the summer and had to be reconnected, this girl told me to go to Setting, find the Internet box, and enter the password for the internet box. WAT

I found that disrespectful since she was talking in a tone that suggested I was inferior to her (it was a 6th grader, I'm in 8th.)

Frankie has a titan if I remember correctly.....

He has a 690.

Look at my shiny. The logo lights up

I just overheard my parents talking about the brand new iPad Air 2 that was just released and how good it is because it has retina display. My mom then suggested that we sell my tablet and my dads iPad 2 to buy an iPad Air 2. Just.....no. If my tablets going to be sold to buy something that money sure as hell ain't going to an iPad, it's going to a 970.

Look at my shiny. The logo lights up

I just overheard my parents talking about the brand new iPad Air 2 that was just released and how good it is because it has retina display. My mom then suggested that we sell my tablet and my dads iPad 2 to buy an iPad Air 2. Just.....no. If my tablets going to be sold to buy something that money sure as hell ain't going to an iPad, it's going to a 970.

Yeah, $500 is absolutely ridiculous.

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Someone asked me if I was using am iPhone 6.i own an HTC one. That said, I kinda had a strange feeling someone else.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Oh good lord, I just went to the apple site to see what all the hullabaloo is about, and I just don't get it! New features:

Touch ID

New display

Camera

Thinner, lighter

Processor is faster

And the WiFi is faster?! Seriously this is straight off their site!

I don't really see how this is innovative..... And I am sure as holy hell WILL NOT SELL MY TABLET (If I had one... It would totally be the shield tablet...)JUST FOR A TINY ASS UPGRADE!!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Oh good lord, I just went to the apple site to see what all the hullabaloo is about, and I just don't get it! New features:

Touch ID

New display

Camera

Thinner, lighter

Processor is faster

I don't really see how this is innovative..... And I am sure as holy hell WILL NOT SELL MY TABLET (If I had one... It would totally be the shield tablet...)JUST FOR A TINY ASS UPGRADE!!

i'm just going to sit over here with my £40 archos tablet that does all i need it to...

I don't really see how this is innovative...

Who said it was? nobody even made that claim... they don't innovate every single time you know...... the who concept of the iPad was the innovation.. this is just an upgrade to give it better features, and make it more powerful and even lighter

That said very few consumer tablets have a high quality camera with slow motion, fingerprint sensors and wireless AC etc.. that is alos super light and has an amazing display.... considering its the same price as it was before.. its either great for a new customer or a customer coming from an old ipad 2 or something

What a silly tihng to say, anyway, this is not the place for this discussion

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

A lot of times when I work in the school library in the morning I get "OMFG THIS COMPUTER WON'T PRINT" questions and it turns out that they were printing to XPS.

Related to my school network.

There is a printer in the hall. You need to put the document in the list (click to Print on your PC), use a chipped card to log in to the physical printer and retrieve your document (click print there).

So, on my laptop there are two school printers (let's not use actual names)

Printer@schoolnetwork.nl

Printer

So if you print to printer@schoolnetwork.nl, you're fine. But if you print just to Printer, you lose your printing money (5 ct. per page), and get nothing.

You've guessed it. I used the wrong printer 5 times in the first month. God damnit RICOH.

Laptop: Intel Core i5-4200H, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce 840M

Desktop: Intel Core i3-6100, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Related to my school network.

There is a printer in the hall. You need to put the document in the list (click to Print on your PC), use a chipped card to log in to the physical printer and retrieve your document (click print there).

So, on my laptop there are two school printers (let's not use actual names)

Printer@schoolnetwork.nl

Printer

So if you print to printer@schoolnetwork.nl, you're fine. But if you print just to Printer, you lose your printing money (5 ct. per page), and get nothing.

You've guessed it. I used the wrong printer 5 times in the first month. God damnit RICOH.

why don't you remove the one that doesn't work and just takes your money?

My dad does not understand Ram vs Storage and thinking Norton is good

CPU:AMD FX-8350 @ 4.4 Ghz  - Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 - RAM:Kingston Hyper X Blu - 8GB - GPU:Gigabyte GTX 760 - Case:NZXT H440 Red & Black - SSD:Kingston Digital 120GB - HDD:(2) Western Digital 1TB Blue - PSU:Thermaltake Smart 650W 80 PLUS Bronze - Keyboard:Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB - Mouse:Corsair M45

So I was playing my iPod, and my friend came over and said, "Dude! Wouldn't it be awesome if you took the graphics card out of your iPod and put it in a GTX!?! That'd be a super fast GPU!" Facpalms, facepalms everywhere

That would be able to run 800x600 on ultra low settings at 30fps, tho

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

This is for the many people that can't be bothered or don't have the time to read through the many hundred pages of the Experiences with non-techies thread and just want the best bits.

I'm going to start it off with what is possibly the best post in Experiences with non-techies courtesy of @rainbrodash666

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

I don't have the time to trawl through the many pages of posts so if anyone can remember them or is willing to go through the thread, then post suggestions below and i will add them to the original post.

Uhh I don't think this thread is going anywhere, it's just going to end up as off-topic as the original Experience With Non-Techies thread with people quoting and quoting and quoting.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Uhh I don't think this thread is going anywhere, it's just going to end up as off-topic as the original Experience With Non-Techies thread with people quoting and quoting and quoting.

probably, but im hopeful. atleast i can say that i have tried. also i will edit the OP to put them all in one place

Touch ID

New display

Camera

Thinner, lighter

Processor is faster

None of those claims are wrong. Stop hating on apple

So I was playing my iPod, and my friend came over and said, "Dude! Wouldn't it be awesome if you took the graphics card out of your iPod and put it in a GTX!?! That'd be a super fast GPU!" Facpalms, facepalms everywhere

Maybe you should take out his brain and put in a new one instead....

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Who said it was? nobody even made that claim... they don't innovate every single time you know...... the who concept of the iPad was the innovation.. this is just an upgrade to give it better features, and make it more powerful and even lighter

That said very few consumer tablets have a high quality camera with slow motion, fingerprint sensors and wireless AC etc.. that is alos super light and has an amazing display.... considering its the same price as it was before.. its either great for a new customer or a customer coming from an old ipad 2 or something

What a silly tihng to say, anyway, this is not the place for this discussion

ok that does sound better for a tablet but he already has a tablet and it would be pointless to upgrade since max is losing his own tablet and his dad's just for a ONE new tablet.....

A TECHIE friend of mine plugged his flash drive into the printer directly thinking it would print a .docx natively. The only thing that showed up on the printer display was the System Volume Information (the NTFS root).