Experiences with non-techies

Back in the early 90s my best friends loser stepfather bought him a new computer, in order to attempt to buy his affection. He actually tried to hack a PS/2 connector to fit in a USB port. He crimped it, made it rectangular, put all the pins on one end of the connector, and slid it in. There was a spark. I lol'd. 

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

Back in the early 90s my best friends loser stepfather bought him a new computer, in order to attempt to buy his affection. He actually tried to hack a PS/2 connector to fit in a USB port. He crimped it, made it rectangular, put all the pins on one end of the connector, and slid it in. There was a spark. I lol'd. 

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU PHYSICALLY MANIPULATE A ROUND CONNECTOR INTO A GODDAMN RECTANGLE?! WHAT WAS HE THINKING?!?! HAS HE EVER PLAYED THE TOY WHERE YOU MATCH THE SHAPES?!?! IT MAKES ME SO FRUSTRATED I NEED TO TYPE THIS WHOLE POST IN GODDAMN CAPS!!! 

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

i dont...

i.. i cant......

okay.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

i will make a comment about some new names for stuff...

geeksquad? they dont know diddly geek squat.

bullshitbuy. i dont need to explain that one.

the people at ANY apple store know more about windows than the people advertising it

i went to my local mac store and ALL of the imacs the emplyees were using windows VMs.

no joke

(before i leave, please vote. its more of a 'for the lulz' thing, but it'd be hilarious if it actually happened, or atleast got mentioned on the WAN show. )

http://strawpoll.me/2828578

as of posting we're at 13/13 yes. 0/0 no. ^~^

sorry for going off topic there.... i just want some more results. xD

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

i dont...

i.. i cant......

okay.

Well, that was much calmer than my comment.....

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I get frustrated when people say I'm stupid because I own an iPhone 5

How does an iPhone make you stupid?  Actually, allot of cool, smart people use iPhones.  And I probably would too if I could.  Using a Mac doesn't make you stupid either.

But telling some one their stupid for using an Apple product makes them stupid. 

How does an iPhone make you stupid?  Actually, allot of cool, smart people use iPhones.  And I probably would too if I could.  Using a Mac doesn't make you stupid either.

But telling some one their stupid for using an Apple product makes them stupid. 

Exactly

My grandpa was surfing around on my PC and was talking about 'cleaning it up'. He defragged my SSD in the process. I wasn't angry at him though, we had a good laugh. :D

*confession* 

I did that too.

I know now that that doesn't work that way, but it can't really hurt to do it once.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

*confession* 

I did that too.

I know now that that doesn't work that way, but it can't really hurt to do it once.

well i teach old people to use computers and fix there problems on weekends lets jsut say they have some interesting stuff an toolbars the vain of the internet and so much of them

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

well i teach old people to use computers and fix there problems on weekends lets jsut say they have some interesting stuff an toolbars the vain of the internet and so much of them

Haha well I am being asked by a couple that's in their sixties, they're babyboomers (right after the war) to help them with several problems.

The chap was a carpenter and definitely not a raised tech-savvy person.

Regardless, they took tech-lessons a while back, €30,- per person so €60,- for an evening.

Turns out it was a one evening-deal. The guy took off and left everyone thinking they were going to get another few lessons.

Once again, he's in his sixties but he seems to learn rather quickly, he has one of those supermarket-laptops that the local Aldi (German shop) sells every now and then, just like they sell prebuilt Medion Computers.

I believe it's a lifetab, it works though.

Yesterday he came here to ask why it wouldn't connect with the WiFi, turns out it was just messed up, so holding the network you are trying to connect to allows for more options, which he seemed to pick up on really quick.

Will go there in a few days to fix the problem of the printer only working together with the laptop and not the PC.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

*confession* 

I did that too.

I'm lucky I stumbled upon an article which explains why defragging SSDs is bad before I tried it.

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

I just overheard my parents talking about the brand new iPad Air 2 that was just released and how good it is because it has retina display. My mom then suggested that we sell my tablet and my dads iPad 2 to buy an iPad Air 2. Just.....no. If my tablets going to be sold to buy something that money sure as hell ain't going to an iPad, it's going to a 970.

i wouldn't let any one sell my stuff unless they gave me all the money form selling it

i wouldn't let any one sell my stuff unless they gave me all the money form selling it

Would you really hate it if that money went to an iPad Air 2 instead of you getting your money back?

Would you really hate it if that money went to an iPad Air 2 instead of you getting your money back?

Think of it this way: someone sells something you own (whether you like it or not), and give you back something you probably don't need / want, instead of getting money and actually getting a choice of what you want to use that money on, and to get what you actually need / want. Does your idea still sound sensible to you? If he would like the iPad Air 2, then it could work, it would be his opinion. But if he wouldn't like it / if he would hate it, then... Nope. But again, it would be his opinion.

In short: your logic on this has some flaws. Not everyone likes iPads. But he could like it (though this doesn't mean he will).

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Think of it this way: someone sells something you own (whether you like it or not), and give you back something you probably don't need / want, instead of getting money and actually getting a choice of what you want to use that money on, and to get what you actually need / want. Does your idea still sound sensible to you? If he would like the iPad Air 2, then it could work, it would be his opinion. But if he wouldn't like it / if he would hate it, then... Nope. But again, it would be his opinion.

In short: your logic on this has some flaws. Not everyone likes iPads. But he could like it (though this doesn't mean he will).

what [member=Ruostunut kokis] said also they would have to sell loads of my stuff to buy an i pad because i have no money and can't afford nice things

Well, I would rather they wait and get a shield tab 2 (assuming that will come out, haven't looked into it), and their reasons for wanting one are just bs. On top of that they have a 64 gig iPad Air already.....

Look at my shiny. The logo lights up

My younger brother just like fixes everything by banging it.  He did it with the printer, he did it with the television, with a bunch of other stuff.  I'm like "wtf?"  He bangs it once, and it works.  Yet I go and do all this stuff to diagnose the problem, and I can't fix it!!!

ARRGGHHH

I challenge him to fix everything in life by banging it ;)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Not an experience with a non-techie (so off-topic), but a little something tech related:

So my high school's wlan has just flat out refused to work for this whole week. It has had problems before, but now it's completely useless for a while. That's why the students here are forced to use the shared connection from their phones, this is the result:

post-23506-0-92090900-1413963386.jpg

Keep in mind that usually here is 5 different connections at max, but now it's quite a bit more... The high school's connection is the one labeled "b-talo", the one bellow that (highlighted in blue) is my phone's shared connection ([sarcasm] because I'm so creative at naming things... [/sarcasm]), and the rest are other student's personal connections. Red bars are real first names of some students, which I've crossed out.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Not an experience with a non-techie (so off-topic), but a little something tech related:

So my high school's wlan has just flat out refused to work for this whole week. It has had problems before, but now it's completely useless for a while. That's why the students here are forced to use the shared connection from their phones, this is the result:

attachicon.gifSo much wlan.jpg

Keep in mind that usually here is 5 different connections at max, but now it's quite a bit more... The high school's connection is the one labeled "b-talo", the one bellow that (highlighted in blue) is my phone's shared connection ([sarcasm] because I'm so creative at naming things... [/sarcasm]), and the rest are other student's personal connections. Red bars are real first names of some students, which I've crossed out.

I spy an unsecure connection...

I wish I could post the screencap of the Wifi Analyzer app when I was on the train earlier... Such a mess of Wifi networks...

Friend: Hey my pc just broke can you help me fixing it?

Me: Sure.. btw why did it broke?

Friend: Idk I just browsing one time and it just turned off.

Me: (hmm sounds spooky to me) Ok I will go to your house and check it.

(After a few hours)

Friend: So here is my pc.. see it wouldn't turn on.

Me: *checks if it is connected to the power source (and it is connected)*

*Opens the side panel*

*sees inside the case which is very dusty and a rat jumped out of the case, there are also some small spiders crawling out( it is clean on the outside tho... and btw the inside stink as hell and the spiders look cute) and the cables were all chewed.*

Me: HOLY MOTHER OF GOD... How did this even happened? Are you even cleaning it?

Friend: Well idk that I should clean the inside of my pc so I am only cleaning the outside.

Me: *jumps out of the window because facewall is not enough*

I know that a non-techie wouldn't automatically know that cleaning their pc is a must.. I can understand the dust but how can fully grown rat got inside of it?

Case: NZXT H440     CPU: Intel core i7-4790k    RAM: 2x G.Skill ripjaws 4gb 1600mhz   GPU: Soon   CPU Cooler: Stock (will buy a decent one soon)     PSU: CM V650 80+ gold PSU.

Friend: Hey my pc just broke can you help me fixing it?

Me: Sure.. btw why did it broke?

Friend: Idk I just browsing one time and it just turned off.

Me: (hmm sounds spooky to me) Ok I will go to your house and check it.

(After a few hours)

Friend: So here is my pc.. see it wouldn't turn on.

Me: *checks if it is connected to the power source (and it is connected)*

*Opens the side panel*

*sees inside the case which is very dusty and a rat jumped out of the case, there are also some small spiders crawling out( it is clean on the outside tho... and btw the inside stink as hell and the spiders look cute) and the cables were all chewed.*

Me: HOLY MOTHER OF GOD... How did this even happened? Are you even cleaning it?

Friend: Well idk that I should clean the inside of my pc so I am only cleaning the outside.

Me: *jumps out of the window because facewall is not enough*

I know that a non-techie wouldn't automatically know that cleaning their pc is a must.. I can understand the dust but how can fully grown rat got inside of it?

What the actual fuck?

What the actual fuck?

my exact reaction...

Case: NZXT H440     CPU: Intel core i7-4790k    RAM: 2x G.Skill ripjaws 4gb 1600mhz   GPU: Soon   CPU Cooler: Stock (will buy a decent one soon)     PSU: CM V650 80+ gold PSU.

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

There is no way...

PC: Ryzen 2600X, EVGA 1080 DT, Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 5 WiFi, Corsair 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold, Phanteks  Enthoo EVOLV ATX

Peripherals: Logitech G502 HERO, Cooler Master ML510, Corsair K68 Cherry MX Red, Dell S2417DG YNY1D 24" 165HZ G-Sync 1440p, Acer XF251Q, 

Audio: AKG K7XX, JBL SLR308 MKI, Scarlett 2i4 (2nd Gen), Sony MDR-7506, Shure SE-215, Audio-Technica AT2020
Server: Dell Poweredge T420 running ESXi, Hosting Plex and Automation services and misc. game servers; 2x Xeon E5-2400, 32GB ECC Memory, ~40TB Storage (Mix of SSDs and HDDs)
Network: Asus RT-AC3100 (Current), Supermicro running pfsense, 10/100/1000/10000 Netgear Switch