Experiences with non-techies

People asking if a computer can sit in a closed cabinet...

BOB%20FIRE%20TONI%20BIG%20FLAME%20(OP)%2

I think that picture would be more accurately depicting the atari 5200 and RCA studio II's shitty ass switch box connectors that combine power and video into one wire....

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Yeah, over here there's a place called noel leeming. So, I guess their called "Noels" but they do the worst job at repairing peoples tech. One of my friends called up a guy because his modem wasn't working, and so this ass comes over, resets the router and leaves it unsecured, the WAN unconfigured.

You a kiwi? I'm on mobile so can't see locations and sigs.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

There's obviously something wrong with your sensor, if it's not working on a mousepad then the sensor is most likely broken from you hauling it around on a scratched piece of wood.

???

The sensor should not make contact with the surface iirc... that's what the slip feet on the mouse are for... Even if it did make contact, I doubt  that you can scratch the stuff in the mouse itself...

You a kiwi? I'm on mobile so can't see locations and sigs.

Yeah  

Oh here's another one I get frequently and hate.

"Macs are awesome"

"Why do you say that?"

"I had a PC and my new MacBook is much faster"

Of course, their new MacBook was at least $1200 (AUD) and their old PC was some crappy $300 thing from 2005.

And, of course, the analogy that "just because a brand new top-of-the-line Nissan GTR is better than a bargain-basement 1995 BMW 316i doesn't make Nissans better than BMWs" doesn't apply...

Aaaaand another one...

Why is it that people understand that when it comes to Macs, more money = better, but somehow the same logic doesn't apply to Windows PCs? (Talking about people looking for prebuilts to put in an office).

Here is how to solve both problems.

Have your mothers pics upload to OneDrive so she can delete every pic off her phone yet can still get access to it. Have it automatically upload the pics.

The problem isn't firefox. It's just a setting. Go to Option-Tabs and check mark "open new windows in a new tab instead"

IDK about the keyboard problems though. Unless it's a hardware problem (possibly got food or liquids on her keyboard) or you just need to refresh the PC.

It could very well be a hardware problem: she eats / drinks frequently in front of her laptop (I do that all the time, never spilled anything on a keyboard or anything technical), food crumbs get inside the keyboard occasionally, not sure about spilling drinks though. Her laptop is kinda old though (from "Windows Vista -era"), and she has though of getting a new laptop, but even a 100€ second-hand computer is too much for her and my mother's budget (except mine. My family is poor as hell, and that's why I want to move out of here ASAP)

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I actually made a bad mistake myself, when i did a motherboard upgrade i didnt position the stand offs correct en the board was bend ( you couldnt see from the top). It worked just fine. Had one AMD card in.

Then i wanted to try and use Crossfire, the second card wouldnt work normal, after I send the second card for RMA I took out the motherboard (ASUS ROG board) and i saw what happend. it was bend pretty bad. 

The next day i went to the shop where i bought the mobo and told them; idk whats wrong but the second pcie doenst work, they gave me a new one (bad karma) and everything worked.

Lesson learned, without to much pain in the wallet ;)

Did you have it ventalated?  Because, my grandma had her pc in a thick wooden cabinet and the plastic on her pc case melted.  Her PC got ruined. 

not really, there are a few slats in the back of where a PC case is supposed to go, but my case is too long for the compartment and i have to put it in a different one.

BTW: i also had my G3258 overclocked. with the stock cooler. temps were about 75C.  ;)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

My mom was on her Mac looking for high schools and colleges for me. She came across this "school of apps" when she told me I asked "oh, is it app development", she replied "no?". Well, I don't know the point of a school of apps. Especially at a college with extremely high standards

Aah, this reminds me of this club we had in fifth grade called "Snappy Apps".

Most of you guys here that know me, albeit a few, will know that I like gaming, wether it be digital like TF2 or tabletop like Warhammer, more than tech. The only reason why I got into tech was because I was planning to create my own games in Unity, and just decided it would be nice to have some background knowledge, ye know, and save a lotta money on a custom built PC as opposed to a pre-built PC too.

But, despite this, I somehow struck out as some kind of "nerdy kid", maybe because I liked reading a lot (used to love Lemony Snicket and such, now I stick to Stephen King) to the teacher, who, despite not sending me an invite to the robotics club, send me an invite to "Snappy Apps".

I come from a relatively working-to-upper class family, mkay? But we are very, very conservative with our money. I spent 1 whole day wondering wether it was worth it to buy a Warhammer codex for the Necrons off my friend for $2. 

So, you can probably understand my anger when I find that you must have an apple touch device for the club.

I'm like: dafuq? they can jsut give us some ipads to test our apps on...

But no.

I psyched myself to the point where I felt confident about asking my dad for permission to ahem borrow ahem his iPad.

He says yes. Okay, good and all, right? So I'm here, thinking: okay, this snappy apps thing looks cool. It's unlikely we'll learn any Objective C, but it's cool, cuz I assumed the teachers had some easy app-making program.

Even if we were making 2d games in Unity it would've been better than what we actually did.

What did we actually do?

Simply,

Play apps. And then share "cool" ones with our friends.

Holy crap. Never before in my life, have I heard of such a ridiculous idea. I swear to the holy trinity BRAHMA CREATE ME VISHNU PRESERVE ME SHIVA DESTROY ME I have never, never in my life heard of such a crappy idea.

That. Was. Crazy.

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

My Dad keeps insisting that I get Norton for my gaming PC. Even though I have already explained to him that I have Avast and that it's better even though it's free. Of course, he thinks all free stuff is a virus in itself so eventually I said that it was a free trial and that I now have the paid version (even though I don't). Sigh.

Another one of my favourites is when I built my PC. After explaining that I did a lot of research about it and everything my parents were cool with it. Until Mum came in and saw me picking up the motherboard and freaked out. I don't know why, she just seemed surprised that I 'even had to buy the motherboard'. I don't know what she was thinking though, like I'd get a motherboard for free or something? I think maybe she thought I was buying some sort of barebones PC with motherboard, CPU and stuff already installed and then doing some "gaming modifications" with a graphics card and stuff. Still, it was kinda funny. "You had to buy a motherboard?" is a quote I'll never forget.

My Dad uses Norton. I cri everytim

My mom would've said "you had to buy a motherboard? See, if you had a Mac you wouldn't have to buy a motherboard."

My parents...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

My mom would've said "you had to buy a motherboard? See, if you had a Mac you wouldn't have to buy a motherboard."

My parents...

My mom calls my computer a computer box and my SSD a Windows box.. No matter how many time you explain stuff to them, they never care to remember it.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

My mom calls my computer a computer box and my SSD a Windows box.. No matter how many time you explain stuff to them, they never care to remember it.

I don't even want to get my parents started on how an SSD works....

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

My parents...

My Mum insists that the family PC is "protected" using BT Netprotect Plus (McAfee with BT's badge on it) because "we're paying for it" So I have to explain to her that we aren't  in fact paying for it, it comes free with our internet package, and you can get better for free :(

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Guise help.

My dojo has a Mac Pro (Mac Pro, not Macbook Pro) hooked up to an ancient CRT monitor. It has Leopard installed on it. 32 bit Leopard on a Quad Core Xeon Machine...

It actually has a dead hard drive so it just sits on the floor looking all sad because they don't know how to fix it...

I want to take it in and save it...

My Mum insists that the family PC is "protected" using BT Netprotect Plus (McAfee with BT's badge on it) because "we're paying for it" So I have to explain to her that we aren't  in fact paying for it, it comes free with our internet package, and you can get better for free :(

lol

My dad pays for Norton (god tell me why) and it shitted itself on me and I don't have the disc to reinstall it, so I'm just using AVG until this computer dies.

I don't even want to get my parents started on how an SSD works....

Same here, I just described it as a "very fast hard drive" and that it was really robust because there were no moving parts, when they asked why it wasn't wrapped in bubble wrap, or even an antistatic bag

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Same here, I just described it as a "very fast hard drive" and that it was really robust because there were no moving parts, when they asked why it wasn't wrapped in bubble wrap, or even an antistatic bag

My mom has an external hard drive hooked up to her iMac. She must be using up her entire 240GB hard drive internally, right?

Well, no, She's got 207 GB of the 240 free and she has about 20GB of "stuff" on the external 500GB hard drive.

Aah, this reminds me of this club we had in fifth grade called "Snappy Apps".

Most of you guys here that know me, albeit a few, will know that I like gaming, wether it be digital like TF2 or tabletop like Warhammer, more than tech. The only reason why I got into tech was because I was planning to create my own games in Unity, and just decided it would be nice to have some background knowledge, ye know, and save a lotta money on a custom built PC as opposed to a pre-built PC too.

But, despite this, I somehow struck out as some kind of "nerdy kid", maybe because I liked reading a lot (used to love Lemony Snicket and such, now I stick to Stephen King) to the teacher, who, despite not sending me an invite to the robotics club, send me an invite to "Snappy Apps".

I come from a relatively working-to-upper class family, mkay? But we are very, very conservative with our money. I spent 1 whole day wondering wether it was worth it to buy a Warhammer codex for the Necrons off my friend for $2.

So, you can probably understand my anger when I find that you must have an apple touch device for the club.

I'm like: dafuq? they can jsut give us some ipads to test our apps on...

But no.

I psyched myself to the point where I felt confident about asking my dad for permission to ahem borrow ahem his iPad.

He says yes. Okay, good and all, right? So I'm here, thinking: okay, this snappy apps thing looks cool. It's unlikely we'll learn any Objective C, but it's cool, cuz I assumed the teachers had some easy app-making program.

Even if we were making 2d games in Unity it would've been better than what we actually did.

What did we actually do?

Simply,

Play apps. And then share "cool" ones with our friends.

Holy crap. Never before in my life, have I heard of such a ridiculous idea. I swear to the holy trinity BRAHMA CREATE ME VISHNU PRESERVE ME SHIVA DESTROY ME I have never, never in my life heard of such a crappy idea.

That. Was. Crazy.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I would have sat in there all day playing the Chrome and YouTube app, in addition to the PCPartPicker app. :D

Wait, PCPartPicker has an app?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Wait, PCPartPicker has an app?

Nope, just realized now. It's in the works ATM.

A employee in my school went to my class room because the projector was overheating and it wouldnt start (my school doesnt give a shit about the filters BTW)...

And she was like

- If you disconnect the black cable (power cord) and connect it back on, sometimes, it works...

I was like, ROFL

"an obvious supporter of privacy"