Experiences with non-techies

Quote from a streamers girlfriend 1 sec ago: 'Babe, you have 2 screens. Can I play on this screen and you on the other one?'

You can imagine the chat laughed their asses off

well he could create a virtual OS and let her play on the second screen with another set of keyboard and mouse\controller.

well he could create a virtual OS and let her play on the second screen with another set of keyboard and mouse\controller.

Except for the performance issues.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Recently during a bus ride to a school field trip I was telling three non-techies why I prefer PCs over consoles, and Androids over iPhones. All their replies were along the lines of "I don't really need that feature".

i5-4670k @4.2GHz Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 @1135MHz 1600MHz G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Corsair K70 Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G230 Blue Snowball SteelSeries QcK+

YouTube // Steam // Twitter // Facebook // Google+

Those young kids from the Jr. High with their Alienware computas and Xbox Ones be getting all of dem graphicalizationz & stuff.

Those young kids from the Jr. High with their Alienware computas and Xbox Ones be getting all of dem graphicalizationz & stuff.

but none of dem frame rates tho

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

This has happened recently. Apparently, because I'm a slave, after helping my neighbours buy a new computer, I was asked to sell the old one. Now it's important to know that the old pc was a POS 1,8GHz intel dualcore with a LAUGHABLE passively cooled office gpu and 350W PSU, 2 gb ram. The whole reason for selling it, was because it wasn't able to run World of Warcraft (on lowest settings) anymore. So, I was asked to sell it for €70. Which is, to be honest, waaaaay too overpriced. So anyway, I clean it from dust (why?), create a classified ad and people start calling me. Among them was a woman. She wanted to buy a gaming PC and asked me whether this was one. OOOOHH, the PAIN! Woman, did you just seriously ask me that? It took me a couple of seconds to come to terms with the situation. Then I proceeded to explain to her that even a low level gaming GPU alone, already costs more than this whole computer. I'm certain, anyone else would have told her that this was a fine gaming computer. But this isn't even the climax of this story. Because later, I mentioned this to my neighbour. And she was obviously dissatisfied with me not selling the damn computer to that clueless woman.

- "Well, she wanted a gaming PC and this isn't one."

- "But I was playing World of Warcraft on it, so it is a gaming PC."

- "The whole reason, why you're getting rid of it now, is because it can't run one of the oldest games around anymore. How is that a gaming PC?"

And then there was silence.

I've changed the ad, so that people would call HER. A day later, someone actually picked the overpriced POS up, without even turning the machine on and seeing whether it works, or not... Oh GOD, I'm not cut out for this world.

This has happened recently. Apparently, because I'm a slave, after helping my neighbours buy a new computer, I was asked to sell the old one. Now it's important to know that the old pc was a POS 1,8GHz intel dualcore with a LAUGHABLE passively cooled office gpu and 350W PSU, 2 gb ram. The whole reason for selling it, was because it wasn't able to run World of Warcraft (on lowest settings) anymore. So, I was asked to sell it for €70. Which is, to be honest, waaaaay too overpriced. So anyway, I clean it from dust (why?), create a classified ad and people start calling me. Among them was a woman. She wanted to buy a gaming PC and asked me whether this was one. OOOOHH, the PAIN! Woman, did you just seriously ask me that? It took me a couple of seconds to come to terms with the situation. Then I proceeded to explain to her that even a low level gaming GPU alone, already costs more than this whole computer. I'm certain, anyone else would have told her that this was a fine gaming computer. But this isn't even the climax of this story. Because later, I mentioned this to my neighbour. And she was obviously dissatisfied with me not selling the damn computer to that clueless woman.

- "Well, she wanted a gaming PC and this isn't one."

- "But I was playing World of Warcraft on it, so it is a gaming PC."

- "The whole reason, why you're getting rid of it now, is because it can't run one of the oldest games around anymore. How is that a gaming PC?"

And then there was silence.

I've changed the ad, so that people would call HER. A day later, someone actually picked the overpriced POS up, without even turning the machine on and seeing whether it works, or not... Oh GOD, I'm not cut out for this world.

i like how you made people call her

Yeah, I call bullshit.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

My friend:

I consider any computer with over 4 tb hard drive a super computer

Me: that's not that much, I have 1 tb hard drive, besides, it doesn't matter how much storage for a supercomputer.

My friend: well I have an 8gb hard drive (wut?) And it's not even close to full.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

There's this guy from my dojo who used to work at Best Buy. He told me a few months ago that dual-core processors were "these really cool new processors that are super fast." Knowing enough about tech I decided to test him. I asked "Well, would my 2008 iMac (which I had at the time) be a dual core?" (It's a *CORE 2 DUO*) and he said "oh no way, these are like, brand new things. You'd have to buy a BRAND NEW computer to have a dual core!" I just let him go with it. 

Didn't have the heart to tell him that the dual core Pentium came out in like '97.....

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

My friend:

Me: that's not that much, I have 1 tb hard drive, besides, it doesn't matter how much storage for a supercomputer.

My friend: well I have an 8gb hard drive (wut?) And it's not even close to full.

I think he's talking about RAM. 

My Build : AMD Ryzen 9 3950X - Asus Strix X570-E - 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo

- Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti - 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply

It still isn't *quite* right, while yes you can be utilising all your RAM, you can't store information (not permanently) on it, (he said "full" instead of something like "I have 8gb of memory, and I utilise all of it") 

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Nope, we had a diff discussion on ram. He has 4gb ram

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Today I witnessed something pretty terrifying. It's a long story, but it's definitely worth it. But first, a little background  :P

So at my school, MacBooks are mandatory (don't ask me why, just is) This leads to A LOT of unintelligent people with very expensive hardware.. I know, great combination. Anyways, there's this one kid who I just can't stand. Thinking about it, no in at my school likes him, teachers included (you all know that one student). Anyways, now to the actual "experience"...

So we're in library. This kid, who will remain unnamed, is loudly complaining that his Macbook trackpad is not working/clicking and how he can't get any work done (funny joke, coming from him). After ten minutes of moaning, he decides to take apart his computer and fix it. Mind you, this is the type of person who cannot open a door without being confused, let alone a computer. Naturally, I was intrigued. He closes his computer, flips it around, and starts to take apart his $1200+ piece of hardware. He looks at it with the most confused look I have ever seen. He starts tapping the motherboard with his screwdriver. "Is this the hard drive, isn't it?" he asks. I let out a giggle. Then, he proceeds to try to take out the ram. At this point, I am actually more worried about his computer that I am him. Throughout the entire taking apart of his computer, he did not even THINK of switching it off, and now he is trying to take out the RAM. I was seriously contemplating whether or not I should help him (He was an asshole, after all.. but did he deserve to get his Mac broken because of his own stupidity?) I decided to carry on watching. He slowly starts unscrewing all the screws to the motherboard and battery. I am partially scared, and partially amazed that he managed to find a tri-wing screwdriver to take the battery out with. Finally, I can't take it anymore. I ask him, "Hey, did you make sure to ground yourself before working on that computer?" He looks at me and scoffs, claiming that he knows what he is doing. Reluctantly, I backed down. Then, he tries to pull out the battery (the battery is right above the trackpad, if you didn't know). He notices that he forgot to take out a screw. Instead of taking it out, he tries to pull out the battery by brute force. He ends up bending the little bracket that holds the battery screws in place. To fix it, he decides to hit his Mac with such a force that it would probably knock out the computer if it had a consciousness. He hits if at least six times and then he puts the computer back together and flips it around (no need to boot up because he didn't turn it off in the first place). He opens the computer, and by some miracle that even Jesus himself could not explain, the trackpad actually started working. Now I don't know if it was because of him hitting the battery, or if it was God trying to mess with me, but it actually freaking worked. He fixed something. He turns to me, with the most cocky look I have ever seen in my life, and smirks. "See, I told you I know what I'm doing". The bell rings, he leaves for his next class, and I am in the left in the library with the most confused look that has ever graced the face of a human being. 

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

-magic snip-

If you don't know what's wrong, try percussive maintenance... 50/50 chance of working...

My friend:

I think I've still got a 10GB hard drive from ~2000 around somewhere

Today I witnessed something pretty terrifying. It's a long story, but it's definitely worth it. But first, a little background :P

So at my school, MacBooks are mandatory (don't ask me why, just is) This leads to A LOT of unintelligent people with very expensive hardware.. I know, great combination. Anyways, there's this one kid who I just can't stand. Thinking about it, no in at my school likes him, teachers included (you all know that one student). Anyways, now to the actual "experience"...

So we're in library. This kid, who will remain unnamed, is loudly complaining that his Macbook trackpad is not working/clicking and how he can't get any work done (funny joke, coming from him). After ten minutes of moaning, he decides to take apart his computer and fix it. Mind you, this is the type of person who cannot open a door without being confused, let alone a computer. Naturally, I was intrigued. He closes his computer, flips it around, and starts to take apart his $1200+ piece of hardware. He looks at it with the most confused look I have ever seen. He starts tapping the motherboard with his screwdriver. "Is this the hard drive, isn't it?" he asks. I let out a giggle. Then, he proceeds to try to take out the ram. At this point, I am actually more worried about his computer that I am him. Throughout the entire taking apart of his computer, he did not even THINK of switching it off, and now he is trying to take out the RAM. I was seriously contemplating whether or not I should help him (He was an asshole, after all.. but did he deserve to get his Mac broken because of his own stupidity?) I decided to carry on watching. He slowly starts unscrewing all the screws to the motherboard and battery. I am partially scared, and partially amazed that he managed to find a tri-wing screwdriver to take the battery out with. Finally, I can't take it anymore. I ask him, "Hey, did you make sure to ground yourself before working on that computer?" He looks at me and scoffs, claiming that he knows what he has been doing. Reluctantly, I backed down. Then, he tries to pull out the battery (the battery is right above the trackpad, if you didn't know). He notices that he forgot to take out a screw. Instead of taking it out, he tries to pull out the battery by brute force. He ends up bending the little bracket that holds the battery screws in place. To fix it, he decides to hit his Mac with such a force that it would probably knock out the computer if it had a consciousness. He puts the computer back together and flips it around (no need to boot up because he didn't turn it off in the first place). He opens the computer, and by some miracle that even Jesus himself could not explain, the trackpad actually started working. Now I don't know if it was because of him hitting the battery, or if it was God trying to mess with me, but it actually freaking worked. He fixed something. He turns to me, with the most cocky look I have ever seen in my life, and smirks. "See, I told you I know what I'm doing". The bell rings, he leaves for his next class, and I am in the left in the library with the most confused look that has ever graced the face of a human being.

Holy fucking shit! That may have been THE best thing I have read all year!!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Do you think that I should start a best of experiences with non Techies thread?

If I do I would need suggestions as to what goes there.

Anyone has the time to go through the 500+ pages of this thread??

Anyone has the time to go through the 500+ pages of this thread??

not many people can be bothered, especially if they are busy. I made it through in a couple of weeks during the holidays when it was a 450 page thread.

A fair few of my posts might fit in there =P

Seriously though, I think it would be a great idea. But you might want to get a few people to help you.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

A girl at my school is so technology ignorant that (I'm not even kidding) in IT class she asked me how to copy and paste...

I-I don't even. Just how. W-why...I don't understand...PPFFTTTGRRRAHUHIASpisopagiopajdfaklf;jka