Experiences with non-techies

My friend: I just completed Skyrim! It was so freaking hard.

66931.jpg?

Me: Hard? I just beat the Duke's Dear Freja on my friend's PC. 

Him: NERD!!!

Skyrim *can* be hard. If you over do it with combat enhancing mods that essentially turn 70%-80% of hits that you take to 1 shot kills... Now that coupled with Legendary and you've got a painfully difficult game.

My friend: I just completed Skyrim! It was so freaking hard.

66931.jpg?

Me: Hard? I just beat the Duke's Dear Freja on my friend's PC. 

Him: NERD!!!

Forget 'hard' (guy should play Morrowind or Dark Souls before calling anything hard) - he claimed to have finished Skyrim. I'm sorry, but one does not simply complete an Elder Scrolls Game.

Just saw a commercial of some "videogame highschool" and some kid was carrying a really old keyboard/mouse

You do not mess with BrianD. The Law does that for you.

My System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X - CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F - RAM: Neo 16 GB 3600 Mhz - GPU: 2x Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 OC in crossfire - OS SSD: Samsung Nvme SSD 256 GB Second SSD Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB - Games: RAID 0 3 x Seagate 1 TB HDD - Case: NZXT H710i - PSU: Corsair AX860i
Former Rig Picture: http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/10157-4-pc-may-2014/

Just saw a commercial of some "videogame highschool" and some kid was carrying a really old keyboard/mouse

That's Brian D he brought that from home but threw it in "the dumpster" when he realised just how old hat it was. It was subsequently recovered and repaired by his two friends Ki and Ted for the Varsity V Junior Varsity match (this becomes his final showdown [in series1] with "the LAW").  I find VGHS a tad childish but it is good mental chewing gum (and very well made for a YouTube thing).

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Skyrim *can* be hard. If you over do it with combat enhancing mods that essentially turn 70%-80% of hits that you take to 1 shot kills... Now that coupled with Legendary and you've got a painfully difficult game.

I doubt he even knows what a mod is.

Forget 'hard' (guy should play Morrowind or Dark Souls before calling anything hard) - he claimed to have finished Skyrim. I'm sorry, but one does not simply complete an Elder Scrolls Game.

That's the joke, one does not simply finish Elder Scrolls.

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

Mom: (to brother) *points at flash drive* Don't forget to take your Zip drive.

I never saw one of those zip drive things... I did have the honor of using 5.25" floppies...

I never saw one of those zip drive things... I did have the honor of using 5.25" floppies...

It looks like a really fat floppy disk...there was a Zip drive set in school.

Went to the local computer store today and thought i'd search for an 34um95 to look at. there was non but i found the ROG Swift. Excited as shit i jumped on it to try it out, it was unlocked and even Unigine Heaven installed!

Started up the Benchmark to look how smooth it is. Turns out, they installed a R9 270 in the system. R U FCKING KIDDIN ME? Those retards *facepalm*

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Today in U.S. history we had a substitute teacher who was told to continue playing the movie we were watching. I came into class and noticed that the projector was not on and the teacher was at a loss for how to begin. This projector is ceiling mounted so climbing up to press the power button, while possible, is difficult. A quick search for the remote ended with her going to the next classroom to get their remote and me just climbing up on a desk to turn the thing on manually. I went back to my desk, thinking that everything would go smoothly from then on.

I was wrong...

Less than a minute later she started the movie from the beginning instead of about 45 minutes in, where we left off. When we told her this she began searching for a shortcut or button to play the movie from that point. I simply walked up and skipped forward to the timestamp. 

As a final facepalm moment, instead of pressing spacebar to pause she clicked the pause button at the end of class.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Same at my school, right click is impossible.

Does the menu key on the keyboard work? It's next to the second windows key. If it works, you can hit tab a few times, to select whatever (clickable) element you want and then hit the menu key.

The right-click keyboard shortcut is to hold down SHIFT and then press F10.

Often there are multiple ways to bypass something. And plenty of scrips are stupid. Like the ones that won't let you right click to paste, but using CTRL+V works just fine. I've once bypassed a user interface, specifically designed to restrict acces to the intErnet, so that only the intrAnet was accessible. Funny thing is, out of boredom, I discovered 3 WAYS to do it. There was a browser for the intrAnet, but it did not have the address bar and adding the address bar to the browser wasn't an option. So I've 1) added the address bar to the taskbar instead, haha, 2) changed the homepage to google and 3) created a shortcut to google, on the desktop. It felt like taking a candy from a child, too easy.

Does the menu key on the keyboard work? It's next to the second windows key. If it works, you can hit tab a few times, to select whatever (clickable) element you want and then hit the menu key.

The right-click keyboard shortcut is to hold down SHIFT and then press F10.

Often there are multiple ways to bypass something. And plenty of scrips are stupid. Like the ones that won't let you right click to paste, but using CTRL+V works just fine. I've once bypassed a user interface, specifically designed to restrict acces to the intErnet, so that only the intrAnet was accessible. Funny thing is, out of boredom, I discovered 3 WAYS to do it. There was a browser for the intrAnet, but it did not have the address bar and adding the address bar to the browser wasn't an option. So I've 1) added the address bar to the taskbar instead, haha, 2) changed the homepage to google and 3) created a shortcut to google, on the desktop. It felt like taking a candy from a child, too easy.

I accidentally learned a different way to close a web browser trying to guess Google Document's shortcut for the word count.

(Ctrl+Shift+C, yes it works, go ahead try it!)

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I accidentally learned a different way to close a web browser trying to guess Google Document's shortcut for the word count.

(Ctrl+Shift+C, yes it works, go ahead try it!)

Doesn't work in Firefox. Instead, a console pops out on the bottom and the content is split into sections.

Doesn't work in Firefox. Instead, a console pops out on the bottom and the content is split into sections.

It does for Waterfox and Chrome. O_o

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I just saw it last night too! my moms like "Joe, Look!! a high school for you!" after watching the commercial, i looked her square in the eyes and said "no".

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

well it is and isn't a history lesson. The dynasty warriors games are based on the chinese play "Romance of the three Kingdoms", so in the sense you are learning about a play that originated in china. But it is not in the fact that the characters are not real people, and never actually existed/did the things in the game, or in the ingames bio.

463px-Facepalm.png

Are you serious bro

463px-Facepalm.png

Are you serious bro

I don't get why you facepalmed, but yes I am serious. why do ou ask?

Nothing to see here, move along

That's the best kind of keyboard.

463px-Facepalm.png

Are you serious bro

I don't get why you facepalmed, but yes I am serious. why do ou ask?

The three kingdoms actually existed. The characters in the fiction and the game are all historical figures. The book is based on actual historical events. AFAIK, even the warfares in the games are mostly (if not all) based on real history. You can read about them in any Chinese history books. You saying the exact opposite from the fact sounded much like a troll lol. That's why I asked. 

my mom has an ipad.

she likes to watch pewdiepie.

she went to the appstore.

downloaded youtube.

opened youtube.

searched in the bar for ''youtube.com''

`~` *caugh* my parrents are fucking idiots. *caugh, phlem, caugh*

and yes, my mom watches pewds. my mom is super awesome.

she's also super meanie smelly fayce.

she ate all my nutty bars and maltesers........

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

*dad calls me*

My dad deleted his antivirus because "he didnt knew that was a antivirus and he thought IT WAS A VIRUS""

*hangs up phone* me and my mom burst out in laughing (she actually knows how to replace an hdd and replace ram)

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

The three kingdoms actually existed. The characters in the fiction and the game are all historical figures. The book is based on actual historical events. AFAIK, even the warfares in the games are mostly (if not all) based on real history. You can read about them in any Chinese history books. You saying the exact opposite from the fact sounded much like a troll lol. That's why I asked. 

from the reasearch I have done I learned it was almost completely made up (aside from the play itself). I guess I have to do more research, If I'm wrong i'm wrong no shame in admiting when you have something wrong. I can't say I am correct after what you said, so More research time for me.

Nothing to see here, move along

Another fucking story with the famous idiot.

Him: Fuck you.

Me: Why?

Him: You said you wouldn't let me help you with your Unity game cuz I don't know "code"?

Me: And?

Him: I do know code.

Me: Which language?

Him: Code.

Me: What?

Him: Cod-

Me: No, I heard you perfectly well. But this is like me saying I have a car, and you ask which car it is, and I reply "a car". What the hell. Which compiler do you use, what do you write your code in?

Long story short: this kid thinks that knowing how to use a Terminal/The Command Prompt is knowing "code".

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

Long story short: this kid thinks that knowing how to use a Terminal/The Command Prompt is knowing "code".

If that was the case I'd be a millionaire "coder" :(

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*