Experiences with non-techies

The writer of this updated it saying that it was satire.

You should see my school! Every PC is immaculate. Even the old ones (same thing that was mentioned a few pages back with C2Ds) are spotless, not a spec of dust!

You lucky bastard!

My parents bought a pretty nice lg TV. They refuse to let me change it from 4:3 stretched to 16:9 to proper 16:9

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

CPU: Intel i5-4590  ll CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ll  Mobo:  Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7  ll  RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Corsair Vengance  ll GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ll PSU: EVGA NEX650 G1 80+ Gold ll Storage:  Segate 7200PRM 1TB HDD , MX100 256GB SSD ll Case: CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced w/ modded window ll  Display: Insignia 22' 1080p Tv ll  Speakers: Logitch Z313 w/ subwoofer  ll Keyboard: Logitec G910 ll  Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

My Computer science teacher is so ignorant about computers themselves. All he knows is how to program on them. He even admitted himself "I'm not an IT person and I can't fix your computer" I wish I had the other CS teacher in my school. He's a bit more strict but way more knowledgeable on the topic of computers (He worked at Microsoft in Seattle at one time so of course :P)

Life.exe is missing

My parents bought a pretty nice lg TV. They refuse to let me change it from 4:3 stretched to 16:9 to proper 16:9

I know the feeling.........

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

Damn kids and their new fancy ass PCI and AGP! They don't know anything these days!

I take offense to this. :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

The writer of this updated it saying that it was satire.

You lucky bastard!

Satire? Thank god. Maybe I'm just gullible AF...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Satire? Thank god. Maybe I'm just gullible AF...

His satire wasn't that good. The fact that he needed to clarify his position shows that.

HOW do they not see the poor image quality!!

His satire wasn't that good. The fact that he needed to clarify his position shows that.

It's kind of hard to have good satire on the internet.

Change it while they are not home. They will notice that the image quality looks so much better.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

The more I learn about PC's and the internet, the more my parents go to my completely computer illiterate little brother for tech advice. Here are some highlights from the last year or so:
Spend 400 dollars to do their taxes themselves online (He sent them to an accountants website)
He told them not to get a surge protector for the phone line (we are on the second modem this year due to lightning strikes)
He then went on to install the 2nd modem without getting rid of the old cables or line splitter
He refuses to install the new router we obtained from the isp (and if he did hook it up it would be with the old cables still in place)
The reason he refuses to install the new modem/router is and I quote "It's an ancient piece of ____" He came to this amazing conclusion after rapping his knuckles on the plastic shell of the modem/router.

My life is one big Facepalm :)

Lol a very similar thing happened to me when i was 14 i think, i had to stay at my grandmas house, parents had to go to another country  due to some business.

I was playing dynasty warriors, my grandfather comes in asking me what ive learned from playing the game instead of working, bad bad move. Dynasty warriors is basically  a history lesson with hack n slash gameplay, for the next 20 minutes i paused the game and starting have a verbal essay about everything i had learned. Naturally he had no idea about the three kingdoms and the conflicts which occurred within it, some are hilarious.

well it is and isn't a history lesson. The dynasty warriors games are based on the chinese play "Romance of the three Kingdoms", so in the sense you are learning about a play that originated in china. But it is not in the fact that the characters are not real people, and never actually existed/did the things in the game, or in the ingames bio.

Nothing to see here, move along

i know right? 3Mbps download speed is the worst curse for a techie. :(

what about 1Mbps down, 0.9 up? because thats what I have to deal with.

3796951237.png

I have higher upload wtf.

I feel so bad for you.

Let's hear it for short fatties everywhere. :)

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Let's hear it for short fatties everywhere. :)

My grandparent's bought a giant new TV, and two blue ray players.  They never watch blueray and they only ever watch the news, AFTER they tape it on a video tape, yes a video tape.  And watch it the next day.  

Another tale of "my nan" coming right up!

So my Nan has called me over for a few reasons. One of which was a "problem" with her aging Panasonic TV where it would say what channel it was on. Another one of which is the fact that she is being charged for using up her data cap and she asked me whether she should turn off her router or something. So I ask her why she isn't on an unlimited package which might actually end up being cheaper for her but then she goes on to state that "she doesn't need it".

Woman, you used up your data cap and you are telling me with a straight face you just need to be charged for going over your data cap?!

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

In my school they blocked flash and the IT teachers having been moaning to the technicians to unblock because flash can be useful tool for education

:blink: where do you live?

Lol ive gone through only 15 of some 550 pages now.. cant stop, but i wanna share 1 first :D In my team (im a volunteer firefighter), we have dude thats about 50 years old and we were discussing what stuff we need renewed at the station. 
This guy being the janitor as well says we need a new projector because the new computers have sockets for the cord (the cord being VGA) because they are new windows 8 laptops. Now i loled in my head but told him that it not because of windows 8

but because of the fact that the projector and the laptops we use at the station dont have any common display connectors, and told him that i can go get an adapter for it so we dont need a new projector. 

He completely ignored what i just tried telling him as slowly and simply as i could and said that yea but we need a new projector because it only works with the windows xp computers :D

These posts are really quite fun and i have had many of the same experiences regarding the stories about stupid friends being ignorant and working as an IT person. The power cord is the most common issue tbh