Experiences with non-techies

ok that does sound better for a tablet but he already has a tablet and it would be pointless to upgrade since max is losing his own tablet and his dad's just for a ONE new tablet.....

I'm not necessarily losing my tablet, my parents just think that two tablets should be sold in order for one with slightly better performance for them to watch shows off of amazon through AirPlay and onto an Apple TV. On top of this my dad just bought a 64 gig iPhone Six which serves the same purpose as the iPad Air 2 would, except it's smaller. My dad used to work for Intel, and his dad ahad a chance to help found it, so I expect better of my parents.

On a side note, if the iPhone Six Plus bends and the iPad Air 2 is thinner, will it bend? #bendgate2confirmed

Look at my shiny. The logo lights up

I'm not necessarily losing my tablet, my parents just think that two tablets should be sold in order for one with slightly better performance for them to watch shows off of amazon through AirPlay and onto an Apple TV. On top of this my dad just bought a 64 gig iPhone Six which serves the same purpose as the iPad Air 2 would, except it's smaller. My dad used to work for Intel, and his dad ahad a chance to help found it, so I expect better of my parents.

On a side note, if the iPhone Six Plus bends and the iPad Air 2 is thinner, will it bend? #bendgate2confirmed

It may, though it seems less likely due to the nature of the jobs (you carry it/put it in a bag as opposed to a pocket). That said, as Luke mentioned in a recent wan show, you could perhaps place a few books on it

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Overheard a conversation with some people I barely know in a school assembly. Talking about (overpriced) gaming computers and recording software.

Kid: "Ya, y'know those cool gaming computers uhh, aliens? Ya, I'll be getting one and my dad will pay for it".

Later he said: "If you need any help any type of computer stuff I can help you cause I know alot about it".

CPU: Intel i5-4590  ll CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ll  Mobo:  Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7  ll  RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Corsair Vengance  ll GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ll PSU: EVGA NEX650 G1 80+ Gold ll Storage:  Segate 7200PRM 1TB HDD , MX100 256GB SSD ll Case: CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced w/ modded window ll  Display: Insignia 22' 1080p Tv ll  Speakers: Logitch Z313 w/ subwoofer  ll Keyboard: Logitec G910 ll  Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

*Class is in computer lab*

Kid next to me: Hey, I don't have one of those internet cable thingies on my laptop!! (ethernet port).

He was on wireless for some reason...

Thought he couldn't access the internet because of this but doesn't come to think why there are bars on his wifi signal.

Tells teacher.

Teacher thinks the same thing as the kid and lets him go to a different computer.

*FaceDesks*

CPU: Intel i5-4590  ll CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ll  Mobo:  Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7  ll  RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Corsair Vengance  ll GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ll PSU: EVGA NEX650 G1 80+ Gold ll Storage:  Segate 7200PRM 1TB HDD , MX100 256GB SSD ll Case: CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced w/ modded window ll  Display: Insignia 22' 1080p Tv ll  Speakers: Logitch Z313 w/ subwoofer  ll Keyboard: Logitec G910 ll  Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

My dad does not understand Ram vs Storage and thinking Norton is good

Time to send him that TechQuickie video about that and then replace Norton with MalwareBytes and AVG.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Overheard a conversation with some people I barely know in a school assembly. Talking about (overpriced) gaming computers and recording software.

Kid: "Ya, y'know those cool gaming computers uhh, aliens? Ya, I'll be getting one and my dad will pay for it".

Later he said: "If you need any help any type of computer stuff I can help you cause I know alot about it".

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

my worst experience was once I had to help a friend where there were advertisements all over the computer and she had not thought that there were some pogramer she did not need and she would not reinstall windows so after i have deleted about 150 pograms samt installed antivirus could it be used again

You need to learn some grammar and punctuation skills and how to communicate properly. That was just a mess of you tripping over your own words.

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

@nillas12, I think this thread of yours must be one of the many long threads on here. You've got a whopping 570+ pages on this thread of yours and about 11,420 posts. I'd hazard a guess that you weren't expected this thread to be so popular. I think I've only ever gotten 7-10 pages, give or take, max on my threads. Nice! :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

My Dad keeps insisting that I get Norton for my gaming PC. Even though I have already explained to him that I have Avast and that it's better even though it's free. Of course, he thinks all free stuff is a virus in itself so eventually I said that it was a free trial and that I now have the paid version (even though I don't). Sigh.

Another one of my favourites is when I built my PC. After explaining that I did a lot of research about it and everything my parents were cool with it. Until Mum came in and saw me picking up the motherboard and freaked out. I don't know why, she just seemed surprised that I 'even had to buy the motherboard'. I don't know what she was thinking though, like I'd get a motherboard for free or something? I think maybe she thought I was buying some sort of barebones PC with motherboard, CPU and stuff already installed and then doing some "gaming modifications" with a graphics card and stuff. Still, it was kinda funny. "You had to buy a motherboard?" is a quote I'll never forget.

My grandfather. So many stories.

He used to put his CD's, not in the optical drive, but rather in the gap between the optical drive and the drive bay cover directly under it. One day he said "My computer has eaten like 25 CD's and I when I open the CD drive it's empty. The discs just disappear." I opened the case and there were about 30 discs just strewn about inside.

Another time he called me at 4am, woke me up, and told me his PC wouldn't turn on. I asked him to at least make sure it was plugged in and the power supply was turned on. He said he didn't know how to do that. I got there... and it wasn't plugged in. Problem solved.

A friend of mine has a crappy smartphone that has some problems with the screen not regestring touch input very well. He was playing a game one it and it was actiong out, here is what he said.

Oh no! The touch isn't touching!

i'm a potato

Geek Squad experience follows(not sure if I posted this before)

So many years ago my grandma and grandpa took their malfunctioning 2006 mb pro to geek squad. The problem-it kept shutting off during use. 8 year old me suggested just changing the battery as that should be the problem with it shutting off. Hey, it works for rc cars, so why not a laptop? My g&g still wanted geek squad to diagnose it because "they are reaal geniuses". Anyways, the diagnoses was it be broked buy a new laptop from us. So that's what happened. I was then given the laptop because it was broken, but a few months ago I decided to try it again. I went in thinking the battery was the problem, so I took it out and plugged the laptop into its charger and viola, it works! The moral of the story-

NEVER, EVER TRUST GEEK SQUAD!

Look at my shiny. The logo lights up

snip

And then you have the couple geek squads you hear of that actually help fix something while the rest do this.. Also sometimes RC trucks relate to computers, well not ones for little children though except for the battery situation. Speaking of that, I need to get mine racing again.

Sorry for getting a little offtopic.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Geek Squad experience follows(not sure if I posted this before)

So many years ago my grandma and grandpa took their malfunctioning 2006 mb pro to geek squad. The problem-it kept shutting off during use. 8 year old me suggested just changing the battery as that should be the problem with it shutting off. Hey, it works for rc cars, so why not a laptop? My g&g still wanted geek squad to diagnose it because "they are reaal geniuses". Anyways, the diagnoses was it be broked buy a new laptop from us. So that's what happened. I was then given the laptop because it was broken, but a few months ago I decided to try it again. I went in thinking the battery was the problem, so I took it out and plugged the laptop into its charger and viola, it works! The moral of the story-

NEVER, EVER TRUST GEEK SQUAD!

Geek squad needs a class action law suit against them for the bullshit they pull.

And then you have the couple geek squads you hear of that actually help fix something while the rest do this.. Also sometimes RC trucks relate to computers, well not ones for little children though except for the battery situation. Speaking of that, I need to get mine racing again.

Sorry for getting a little offtopic.

Well, I can't just fix something and leave it, I HAVE to make sure the problem will never occur again

Geek squad needs a class action law suit against them for the bullshit they pull.

Yeah, over here there's a place called noel leeming. So, I guess their called "Noels" but they do the worst job at repairing peoples tech. One of my friends called up a guy because his modem wasn't working, and so this ass comes over, resets the router and leaves it unsecured, the WAN unconfigured.

My uncle used to always say he knew a lot about computers. But I always knew I knew more than him. In 2004 he built his own computer for the first time. He called me and said he couldn't get his AGP GPU to work. I told him he needed a GART driver since he was using an AMD system. He was like "Wtf is a GART driver". I finally got to rub his nose in the fact that I knew more than him. Muahahaha

Once when I was in 7th grade back in 1995, our computer science teacher was showing us what all the different parts of a computer looked like. He held up a hard drive and said "This is an 800GB hard drive". I put my hand up and told him that (this is 1996, lest we forget) 800GB hard drives did not exist. He told me I was wrong, so I asked him if he wouldn't mind hooking the hard drive up to a computer and checking the capacity. It was 800MB. 

So these just happened today:

My mother was complaining about her Lumia 625 running out of storage space. I go check it, not a single byte free. I proceed to check what is taking up all that space; 4 GB worth of pictures she has taken with it and never deleted. That was over 2000 photos, within 3 months or so.

My little sister complained at her laptop (that's finally in use now, just because I bought a functioning charger for it as a b-day gift) was acting up, and constantly complained that Firefox extensions needed updating. I go check it, the laptop opens a new window every time you click a link or open a new tab (wat? Doesn't even allow just to open to the same window, it forces a new one), and installing new versions of the outdated Firefox extensions was impossible because of that. Solution? Download Chrome and call it a day. Extension problems were gone, but still opens a new window every time you go anywhere on the internet.

Her laptop's keyboard also has a mind of it's own: you can type one correct word per 3 seconds or so. Otherwise it just blurs some random letters without any structual reason.

I guess it's time to re-install Windows on her laptop (it's running Windows Vista Basic, in case you're asking. It ran without problems when I owned the laptop, but after giving it to my sister, it got messed up, like every electronic device she touches...)

Here is how to solve both problems.

Have your mothers pics upload to OneDrive so she can delete every pic off her phone yet can still get access to it. Have it automatically upload the pics.

The problem isn't firefox. It's just a setting. Go to Option-Tabs and check mark "open new windows in a new tab instead"

IDK about the keyboard problems though. Unless it's a hardware problem (possibly got food or liquids on her keyboard) or you just need to refresh the PC.

Today I witnessed something pretty terrifying. It's a long story, but it's definitely worth it. But first, a little background  :P

So at my school, MacBooks are mandatory (don't ask me why, just is) This leads to A LOT of unintelligent people with very expensive hardware.. I know, great combination. Anyways, there's this one kid who I just can't stand. Thinking about it, no in at my school likes him, teachers included (you all know that one student). Anyways, now to the actual "experience"...

So we're in library. This kid, who will remain unnamed, is loudly complaining that his Macbook trackpad is not working/clicking and how he can't get any work done (funny joke, coming from him). After ten minutes of moaning, he decides to take apart his computer and fix it. Mind you, this is the type of person who cannot open a door without being confused, let alone a computer. Naturally, I was intrigued. He closes his computer, flips it around, and starts to take apart his $1200+ piece of hardware. He looks at it with the most confused look I have ever seen. He starts tapping the motherboard with his screwdriver. "Is this the hard drive, isn't it?" he asks. I let out a giggle. Then, he proceeds to try to take out the ram. At this point, I am actually more worried about his computer that I am him. Throughout the entire taking apart of his computer, he did not even THINK of switching it off, and now he is trying to take out the RAM. I was seriously contemplating whether or not I should help him (He was an asshole, after all.. but did he deserve to get his Mac broken because of his own stupidity?) I decided to carry on watching. He slowly starts unscrewing all the screws to the motherboard and battery. I am partially scared, and partially amazed that he managed to find a tri-wing screwdriver to take the battery out with. Finally, I can't take it anymore. I ask him, "Hey, did you make sure to ground yourself before working on that computer?" He looks at me and scoffs, claiming that he knows what he is doing. Reluctantly, I backed down. Then, he tries to pull out the battery (the battery is right above the trackpad, if you didn't know). He notices that he forgot to take out a screw. Instead of taking it out, he tries to pull out the battery by brute force. He ends up bending the little bracket that holds the battery screws in place. To fix it, he decides to hit his Mac with such a force that it would probably knock out the computer if it had a consciousness. He hits if at least six times and then he puts the computer back together and flips it around (no need to boot up because he didn't turn it off in the first place). He opens the computer, and by some miracle that even Jesus himself could not explain, the trackpad actually started working. Now I don't know if it was because of him hitting the battery, or if it was God trying to mess with me, but it actually freaking worked. He fixed something. He turns to me, with the most cocky look I have ever seen in my life, and smirks. "See, I told you I know what I'm doing". The bell rings, he leaves for his next class, and I am in the left in the library with the most confused look that has ever graced the face of a human being. 

Possibly, just from him closing it and it going to sleep mode then waking that it fixed the problem. Or maybe, him slamming things. Sometimes tech stuff just needs a good hit.

Let's hear it for short fatties everywhere. :)

When they aren't around, JUST DO IT!

When they aren't around, JUST DO IT!

When aren't short fatties "around"? ;)

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

My dad does not understand Ram vs Storage and thinking Norton is good

Norton almost got it right this year, they switched everything to the cloud, and the problem is that it takes like 5 minutes to scan one file, and threats can't be detected right.  

They completely ruined it.  

People asking if a computer can sit in a closed cabinet...

BOB%20FIRE%20TONI%20BIG%20FLAME%20(OP)%2

I have had my pc folding or overnight in a closed cabinet with good temps and no ill effects ;)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

I have had my pc folding or overnight in a clouded cabinet with good temps and no ill effects ;)

Did you have it ventalated?  Because, my grandma had her pc in a thick wooden cabinet and the plastic on her pc case melted.  Her PC got ruined.