Experiences with non-techies

My teacher who was also libary keeper/operator/idunno had a computer in libary and i was the only one in the class (6 grade) who knew about computers so i could use her computer. It was a core 2 duo filled whit shit it had 1000 different anti virus programms and toolbars. And when i opend the computer .......... It gave me cancer . But it had insanely fast internet so i downloaded all my games and torrents from there. Sorry for my bad english

CPU:Intel® Core™ i7-4690K  MOBO: Asus Z97 PRO  RAM: 16GB Kingston GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 980 CASE: Cooler Master SSD: Samsung EVO 850 240GB  HDD: 2TB WD Red PSU: CX750M  CPU COOLER: 212 Evo CASE FANS: Cooler Master

My step brother went to an electronic store (noel leeming) and got a computer for $1600 this is NZD so roughly $1250 USD which he was told would run Borderlands 2 at max setting when it came out he asked me why he couldn't play it (it had a 6450).
He was also sold a DVI to VGA adapter for his monitor at $30 that had both DVI and VGA because VGA is "far better"

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Godlygamer23, on 02 Jul 2013 - 4:39 PM, said:

including 4K?

No. 8K. /sarcasm

Str_Mape, on 02 Jul 2013 - 4:39 PM, said:

My step brother went to an electronic store (noel leeming) and got a computer for $1600 this is NZD so roughly $1250 USD which he was told would run Borderlands 2 at max setting when it came out he asked me why he couldn't play it (it had a 6450).

He was also sold a DVI to VGA adapter for his monitor at $30 that had both DVI and VGA because VGA is "far better"

That gave me cancer.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Boutique cables really are not worth it when it comes to digital signals, for analog signals yes the quality of the cable can come into play. But these "so called" fancy HDMI cables are really just rip offs, a 1 and 0 digitally is still a 1 and 0, if there is a problem with the cable it flat out does not work, but a $3 HDMI provides the same picture as a $400 HDMI. If the cheap cable fails, then I could get 132 cables for the price that i would pay for just 1, chances are one of them has got to work *rolls eyes*.

You should do some double blind testing with cables, I guarantee you won't be able to pick the more expensive (or supposedly higher quality) cable.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

i was once talking do this dumb about the NBN he said he dident need it his internet was fast enough i said my speed was 35 down and 1 up he said o thats shit i have unlimited download their i was standing their like wtf just happend

Can i put my laptop cpu into my phone? Can my phone run windows? Can I play cod on my phone? Don't get me started.

Cpu: I5 3570k @ 4.3ghz Gpu: EVGA GTX 780 FTW edition Case: Corsair 300R​ Ram: 8GB Corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Motherboard: ASUS P8-Z77 V-LX Keyboard: Corsair k50 raptor  Mouse: Razer naga 2012 edition OS: Windows 8.1

i was once talking do this dumb about the NBN he said he dident need it his internet was fast enough i said my speed was 35 down and 1 up he said o thats shit i have unlimited download their i was standing their like wtf just happend

Pimp slap of justice and knowledge is the only correct response for such a stupid statement.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

i was once talking do this dumb about the NBN he said he dident need it his internet was fast enough i said my speed was 35 down and 1 up he said o thats shit i have unlimited download their i was standing their like wtf just happened

I didn't realise I had a 200GB/s connection :D .  It's a shame my data limit is only 16Mb. :rolleyes:  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

my friends dont understand what a "techie" is and i cant think of a good way to explain it to them :(

but my grandma calls wifi "wifee" and i keep telling her that if you say so noone will understand you. Also when my grandma wanted me to get google back on her laptop, i basically had to uninstall the stupid avg toolbar and homepage and install chrome. i had to install flash because she was dedicated on having flash outside of chrome. -sigh-  :blink:

i7 4770k/Asus GTX 1080 TI/Asus RX5500 XT/Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB/Samsung 840 Pro 256GB/Seagate Barracuda 3TB/AX860i/ASUS Z87 PRO/Fractal Design Define R4/HD 598

On this same test we had to explain the difference between hardware, so I wrote something like "The hardware is the actual components of the computer and the software takes advantage of the hardware (kind of hard to translate what I said from Italian), you can touch the hardware yet you can't touch the software". So keep in mind this was a VERY VERY basic test, pretty much if you wrote anything vaguely close you got it right. So when I got my test back turns out I got the difference between hardware and software wrong, so I ask the teacher why it was wrong and he says "you can touch software, if you put software on a hard disk, you can touch the hard disk". Now that's the reason why i got a 6- instead of 6 (6 is like 100%) in my computer class.

You should have gotten it right since your touching hardware instead of software when you touch a disk (wonder who still uses those?)

my friends dont understand what a "techie" is and i cant think of a good way to explain it to them :(

but my grandma calls wifi "wifee" and i keep telling her that if you say so noone will understand you. Also when my grandma wanted me to get google back on her laptop, i basically had to uninstall the stupid avg toolbar and homepage and install chrome. i had to install flash because she was dedicated on having flash outside of chrome. -sigh-  :blink:

I hate people that say wifee. it drives me insane....

Another thing is my mom does something "important" on the computer such as hitting the final order button on an amazon order she holds down the mouse button for at least 5 seconds. I have no idea why. She also believes Norton destroys viruses, making you're computer completely immune. Finally she assumes that Skype, Youtube, and Steam are viruses, and that my computer is riddled with them because I use these things, and that if someone who has a computer with a virus uses facebook and you see their wall, you too have the virus.

I almost choked on my coffee when I read that. My mom is exactly the same. She thought her iPhone could get a virus through voicemail. *facepalm*

My best friend said that windows sucks because it does not delete your files. He just pressed the delete and sent them to recycle bin. *facepalm*

Year ago my dsi xl broke and i went back to the store. When i said that my dsi broke the lady pushed rubber pads/dots under the dsi and said: did you press these buttons?

Sorry for my bad english im from estonia (pointless country who invented skype :) ) and i am 14 and i learned my english from youtube

I have to say you speak english pretty well.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

Not really, A HDD read and writes from a magnetic plate so it's not getting heavier with more data as it does not add more mass to the platters.

It is true with SSDs. Sinve flash storage uses electrons, and electrons have mass, a full ssd weighs more than a newly-formatted ssd.

I have a cousin (insert expletives) that told me he got an iPod Touch 5 (which is true) that has GORILLA GLASS. He thinks he can best someone who has dedicated immense amounts of time into stuff like this... F-ing noobs.

He put the iPod back in the box to keep it safe, so I told him they made cases so he didn't have to do that. He looked at ne like I was crazy.

It is true with SSDs. Sinve flash storage uses electrons, and electrons have mass, a full ssd weighs more than a newly-formatted ssd.

Are you ready for this:

a proton weighs 1.67x10-27  that is 0.000000000000000000000000000167Kg.  An electron weighs 1/1836 of that.  so an electron weighs:

0.000909x10-27 or 0.0000000000000000000000000000909Kg

do you reckon those flimsy little screws they give us can handle the weight if we fill our drives? :unsure:

I have a cousin (insert expletives) that told me he got an iPod Touch 5 (which is true) that has GORILLA GLASS. He thinks he can best someone who has dedicated immense amounts of time into stuff like this... F-ing noobs.

He put the iPod back in the box to keep it safe, so I told him they made cases so he didn't have to do that. He looked at ne like I was crazy.

Also, he calls 5fps smooth.

I'm confused at how that is possible unless he is brain dead...

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

I'm confused at how that is possible unless he is brain dead...

i problem is most people who try to use a computer are, i had one person come up to me in comet (in england) and say to me, what do u think about this computer (it was a HP .....) " u mean this scrap of silicon and metal no thanks." the person: "but it has a 512Mb radeon graphics card + amd phenom 3 core all for £500" Me: "stop trying to sell me something from the dark ages and go try to sell it to someone who is dumb enough to buy this without knowing what they are buying "

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

Here in the uk, Don't ever go to these 3 shops, maplin,currys/pc world.  All three are a complete joke i've applied to work at currys before as i am a tech freak, But no reply.

Back to the point they stock old tech, that no one wants.

They don't know anything about pc's.

I asked for a sata cable once as i could not find it, So he went off and came back with a usb lead for printers. I just started laughing and walked out.

Not an experience but it's related: http://xkcd.com/627/

I'm wearing a shirt from Thinkgeek with that comic printed on it as I type this :)

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/