Experiences with non-techies

On 1/28/2019 at 8:34 PM, Schnoz said:

I'm using sarcasm lvl 100 here.

Well I didn't know if it was.

--Dominik W

(What else do you need, this is just a signature, plus I have them disabled 😅)

On 1/25/2019 at 7:20 PM, Schnoz said:

I wish, but my mom would murder me (we're Asian).

Your mom would murder you for posting somebody else's livestream?

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

My computer teacher gave us an assignment, write a essay on which is better “IPhone or Android” which you can’t compare an operating system to a smartphone, I think iOS or Android is maybe what he meant. So that’s what I’m writing about, but I overheard a couple of girls arguing wether Android is Samsung or not, not if the devices they made are on Android, if it’s Samsung.... so their head looked like this “IPhone vs Samsung”... I hate it when people think that all androids are Samsung devices, like we got one plus, hawuei, lg, google, Motorola, etc.

19 minutes ago, Schnoz said:
I forgot to use the spacers that went between the motherboard and the case when I built my first computer. I had no idea what those little brass gizmos were for — I spent a ton of time researching that system and somehow never saw anything about spacers — and you could screw everything in just fine if they weren’t there so that’s what I did. Carefully installed everything (well, everything else), powered it up, and zap!

This would have been roughly 20 years ago, fresh out of my hardware tech class. I was so “knowledgeable” at the time and full of pride. I could now build my own PC, and spent some time getting just the right parts and case. Got everything put together and am now ready to power up for the first time. Almost immediately upon hitting the power button, there was a quick popping noise, and then nothing. During my troubleshooting process, I had figured out that I screwed the motherboard directly to the case - no spacers or anything. Nice. In the end, I was able to get a free replacement by stating that the board didn’t work right out of the box. Not necessarily an incorrect statement, per se, but not the full truth either. Lesson in PC humility learned.

I had the exact same issue and also claimed DOA ? I got a new one and everything was fine

What are your most hated non-techie "slangs" ?

Mine are:

• "Computers are just Computers" 
  • "Android is Samsung"
  • "Apple is the best, the absolut best"
  • "Samsung and Apple are the only ones"
  • "Do you have an Samsung or an Apple"
  • "This Computer is broken" is literally what one of my fucking Stupid Classmates once said to me when she brought me one of our Laptops from Class that asked her to install the latest version of FireFox 
  • "Old Smartphones are better" 
  • People thinking I'm hacking the schools Network when I'm already on it and when I'm programming
  • My Classmates literally always stare at the screen when the Notebook is booting up and it says Ubuntu at the loading screen, and then they complain that their Windows laptop from Class takes too long for what ever process, like, if your complaining in the first place then atleast turn your fucking brain on and don't call every laptop a Windows laptop

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. The doubt, and fear, and despair. Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion it is.

6 hours ago, Schnoz said:

"Doesn't AMD run hot?"

"Android SUUUUCKS"

"The best PCs have Intel and Nvidia chips"

"I don't need a GPU to run [insert 3D game here]", there's already some in the CPU!

On Thursday a guy at school sent me his spec list:

- Z370 (I forget the brand)

- Intel Pentium (Dual-core)

- G Skill 32 GB DDR4

- Noctua NH-D14

- EVGA RTX 2070 

- WD Black 10 TB

Those are the important components of the build. He built this off the notion that the GPU was 90 percent of gaming performance. The HDD was his boot drive (to store a lot of games on it). I told him to get a better CPU (at least an 8700K) and he said he already ordered it. Epic facepalm.

I'll let you know how well it performs once he builds it.

He also believes that programs that claim to speed up your PC work. 

>32GB memory

>WD Black 10 fucking terabytes

>Getting OC RTX 2060 (RTX 2070) for more than a RTX 2060

>D U A L C O R E P A I R E D W I T H R T X 2 0 7 0 

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

7 hours ago, Schnoz said:

"Doesn't AMD run hot?"

"Android SUUUUCKS"

"I don't need a GPU to run [insert 3D game here]", there's already some in the CPU!

- G Skill 32 GB DDR4

- Noctua NH-D14

- EVGA RTX 2070 

- WD Black 10 TB

Those are the important components of the build. He built this off the notion that the GPU was 90 percent of gaming performance. The HDD was his boot drive (to store a lot of games on it). I told him to get a better CPU (at least an 8700K) and he said he already ordered it. Epic facepalm.

I have two good friends in my Class that are into PC Gaming that know nothing about tech and they atleast admit it and ask me for help, which I'm happy for.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

11 hours ago, Schnoz said:

- EVGA RTX 2070 

This video isn't with a 2070, but it wouldn't matter with how bad the bottlenecks would be: 

*Looks at fps

*hmm that's not as bad as I thought (1080p at the time)

*looks at CPU and GPU usage

*ooouuuuuccchhh

On 2/2/2019 at 8:14 PM, Schnoz said:

"Doesn't AMD run hot?"

"Android SUUUUCKS"

- G Skill 32 GB DDR4

- Noctua NH-D14

- EVGA RTX 2070 

- WD Black 10 TB

God bless, rub it on his face when he gets it and tell him he’s wrong and to stop acting like he knows what he’s doing. My blood pressure goes from 0 to 100 real quick from these posts lmao.

Not really what you are expecting in this thread, but it stuck with me.

When I was in the 7th grade, I had just started to get into computer programming. I was really new to how computers worked, but was figuring it out. Talked to this super cocky kid in my Spanish 1 class who said he wrote hacks in Call of Duty MW2(or 3? semantics.) He was acting like he was all bad because he knew how to hack. I decided to ask what language he programmed the hacks in and his response was golden.

"A little bit of English but mostly French"

Suffice to say the kid didn't speak French

~GeminiJupiter

~Subpar Gaming, Topnotch Quality.

9 hours ago, GeminiJupiter said:

-snip_

*Smashes Keyboard with two fingers* 

Ohhh, look at me, I'm hacking the sh*t

/s

On 1/18/2019 at 8:28 PM, Pascal... said:

Ughh.. I hate the word "hacking". Today in school I used my free in between lesson for starting out on my Project, I'm gone be creating a Puzzle App in the LiveCode environment and first of all I did some tutorials and also listend to music on Spotify, and then a kid walked by and glared at my screen and instantly saw me typing in some basic commands for a little "To Do List" Application and he was like: DUDE, ya hacking ?  

Me: *taking out in-Ear*, Sorry ?

Him:  Are you hacking the sh*t ?

Me:  *Cringes hard inside* Nah, I'm programming

Him:  *Flips out hard* 

Me:   *Facepalms and puts In-Ear back in*

can relate. if i have to run updates on my Linux VM or something people always stare at my screen... 

She/Her

42 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

can relate. if i have to run updates on my Linux VM or something people always stare at my screen... 

All I do is have a pretty decent typing speed of 80-90 WPM. And people think I'm hacking...

49 minutes ago, hiitswilliam said:

All I do is have a pretty decent typing speed of 80-90 WPM. And people think I'm hacking...

@INTERPOL hacker right here sir

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

My Aunt: And ? Which Phone do you have, Samsung or Apple ?
Me: I have an OnePlus 5t
She: What is that ?

Me: An Android Phone 

She: Annn-droiiid ???

Me: Ok, I see you don't understand *goes to the toilet to calm down*

And the most disgustingest part of all these Stupid conversations with relatives is the fact that they allways think that they know better and think there are only 2 Smartphone Brands, I blame marketing for that.

I've posted quite a few stories here, and I make it a habit to post one every time I see this threat bumped to the top. Soooo, here we go!

This was my freshman year, and I had a potato ass laptop. It was an Acer Aspire 4710, and I had to run Lubuntu because I wasn't very Linux savvy at the time, needed a light weight OS, and it only had XPDMA drivers ever made for its hardware (My schools network was made in such an bass akwards way that only Win 8, Win 8.1, and Mac's could properly log on. As well as Linux machines).

I pull up TOP in the terminal because it was lagging out hard and I wanted to see what was up. The amount of stares...

I was a renowned hacker from that day on, despite my best efforts to shut them up because I knew literally 0 coding other than basic Linux commands. Thankfully I was never asked to "hack" anything, only help bypass the schools content filter and cheat on tests.

That same laptop also nearly caught on fire in my backpack after it turned itself on and cooked itself.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

19 hours ago, Schnoz said:

Oh my actual frick. The parts for that Pentium/RTX 2070 arrived yesterday (despite me and my friends' every attempt to get him to cancel the order). I was there with him as he built it (this guy at least knew he couldn't do all of it himself). I let him do some of it, simple stuff like screwing in the mobo (he almost forgot the standoffs) and inserting the CPU. He put it in the wrong direction and was about to close the mounting bracket when I stopped him. If I had turned 0.5 seconds later we would have to RMA the mobo. As of yesterday, the CPU, mobo, and HDD were in. He heard that graphics cards consume a lot of power so he got an EVGA 1500 watt PSU. GENIUS (sarcasm).

Today, I saw his amount of knowledge in PC building. He had decided to work on it a bit when I was gone. I noticed that one of the case fan headers (Master Case of some kind) was stuck under the mobo and he was like this:

"Whoops. Lemme take care of that."

Me: "WAIT NONONO---" Then I shet you not he just ripped the fan header out from underneath! We would find out later that we were extremely lucky that time.

Upon closer inspection, he used the whole tube of thermal paste (luckily it wasn't Conductonaut), plus a trail to the GPU, which was on the bottom PCIe slot and nearly touching the PSU.

His logic? He had seen heatpipes on the CPU cooler and a Thermalright invention that cooled theback of the GPU, so he made a "heatpipe" snake out of thermal paste down from the CPU (there was more than enough on it, it was spreading out the sides), around the PCIe slots, over the chipset heatsink, and a huge blob on the back of the card. I tried to tell him that the conductivity of even good thermal paste was not close to an actual copper heatpipe, but that guy is one stubborn betch.

The rest of the build proceeded without much issue, with me wiring everything up correctly  (he was able to match the SATA port of the drive though). One shitty Windows install later, I tried to run the pirated copy of GTA V on there. It's definitely playable even on ultra, above 60  FPS on a 1440p monitor, but it's far short of the full potential of the 2070. The inside is also ugly as frick and the card runs super hot with no breathing room. Oh well, at least he's happy.

I knocked a Surface mounted little resistor to the RAM slots when that happened on a CPU fan and it's header socket. :( Soldered it back on and sold it on ebay as "working, but sold as seen/broken". Not an expensive board, but annoying and the first time I've ever made such a silly mistake of not checking where the wire was when putting down the heatsink.

On 2/4/2019 at 9:29 PM, Schnoz said:

so he made a "heatpipe" snake out of thermal paste down from the CPU (there was more than enough on it, it was spreading out the sides), around the PCIe slots, over the chipset heatsink, and a huge blob on the back of the card.

Image result for speechless

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Alright so I've just spent like 15 minutes of my life arguing on FB group, because there are some people who consider the 8350K as the best budget gaming CPU. And I've heard the most "interesting" reason ever: "The 8400 isn't a gaming CPU." Like "It's just not meant for gaming, I don't know how CPU's are made, but the 8350K is the gaming one." "The 8400 is another useless product made to confuse people". So yeah the kind of people who are convinced to be right no matter what, and even when you show them benchmarks they go "Go make builds with both CPU's to compare for yourself". And what are you supposed to say when they are many people thinking this way when someone asks for advice. I'm just sorry for the poster.

So yeah this only made me realize how creepy Facebook groups can be, and that it's always better to turn to forums dedicated to a particular topic rather than a FB group. I also regret having tried to convince people like that.

Just now, IAmAndre said:

Alright so I've just spent like 15 minutes......FB group

You have my sympathy. I feel so sorry for you.

1 minute ago, IAmAndre said:

there are some people who consider the 8350K as the best budget gaming CPU.

It's certainly not a bad budget gaming CPU. Is it the best? Not by a long shot, and especially not when Ryzen 5 exists.

And what are you supposed to say when they are many people thinking this way when someone asks for advice.

If there's just so many people like that, then you'd probably do well to point the poster towards a forum(such as this) or towards channels such as LTT(they may yet find their way here) or other similar tech channels.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

25 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It's certainly not a bad budget gaming CPU

It is. It's the worst choice when you're on a budget. It's essentially an overclockable 8100, for which you need to spend more on a mother board and cooling if you plan on overclocking. You're better off sticking with the 8100 or get the 8400 (the "non-gaming" CPU).

28 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

there's just so many people like that, then you'd probably do well to point the poster towards a forum(such as this) or towards channels such as LTT(they may yet find their way here) or other similar tech channels

Not everyone speaks in English :( It was on a French group and there's no French Linus, trust me.

It is. It's the worst choice when you're on a budget. It's essentially an overclockable 8100, for which you need to spend more on a mother board and cooling if you plan on overclocking. You're better off sticking with the 8100 or get the 8400 (the "non-gaming" CPU).

lol no it's obviously the best smh my head r u dum

/s

What's a "non-gaming CPU"?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

What's a "non-gaming CPU"?

That's what they call the 8400. But they still can't tell what a "gaming" CPU is. I did ask though.