Experiences with non-techies

42 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

[Grandpa voice] Back in my day we didn't have automoblies (not a typo) and elevators. I had to walk through the Lost Woods, hike Death Mountain, and talk to a big tree all while being pestered by an anthropomorphic spirit thing inside my sword. You should count yourselves lucky with your speedy travel maguffins and instant lunch boxes. I can still remember walking the 400 stairs going up as I went to fight some pig-demon. [A single tear flows] Those were the good old days...

Reveal hidden contents

Zelda for those who don't know.

[Elderly voice] Back in my day, we didn’t have elitists talking crap on what other people have just because they spent more on a top-end GPU...

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

14 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

-Snip old fart #1, pyo-

Stop with your superhero bullshit, grandpa, pyo!

It makes being a family of benevolently evil villains hard, pyo!

13 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

-snip old fart #2, pyo

Y'all really shouldn't adopt things that come out of meteorite anymore, pyo.

@themctipers Where Mondo Media has failed, the Society of Virtue saves the day, pyo!

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

[voice of someone older than Linus's grandpa] Back in my day, CPUs and video cards (they weren't called GPUs then) didn't even need or HAVE heatsinks! :o The 5.25" bay (not the 3.5" bay, those came later) was where you put your hard drive, and sound, networking, etc. were added via expansion slots (and there were usually 8 of them, not limited to 7 like on most modern motherboards).  We didn't have SATA, IDE, PCI Express, PCI or USB yet.

• 2 weeks later...

People having difficulties understanding that a phone has 2 volumes, one for a ringer and another one for the media including maps.

I work in an environment, where silence is a must or you get sent home without pay, yet I see people's phones making sounds from something like Google Maps or FB video, with them looking horrified, this continues for years, with the same people, even after I explain it to them.

On 9/19/2017 at 5:04 PM, PianoPlayer88Key said:

[voice of someone older than Linus's grandpa] Back in my day, CPUs and video cards (they weren't called GPUs then) didn't even need or HAVE heatsinks! :o The 5.25" bay (not the 3.5" bay, those came later) was where you put your hard drive, and sound, networking, etc. were added via expansion slots (and there were usually 8 of them, not limited to 7 like on most modern motherboards).  We didn't have SATA, IDE, PCI Express, PCI or USB yet.

My first floppy drives were 8" and the first hard-drive I worked with was 5MB - that's Mega-Bytes. Not GB or TB, MB, and was for work. 

The expansion slots were S100 bus and had a massive 8k of memory on each card...the network was a 9600kbit modem.

frind bought and SD card for his 3DS

dosent work

i ask if he formated it correctly because they cant take most of the file formats

he said he hasent, and he cant format it

i ask "what about your phone, you might be able to format it from that?"

"the small one goes in there, but not the big one and the big one goes in the 3DS!"

thats when i just broke down in laughter for like 10min before explaining "the big one" was just an adapter and it worked flawlessly after that

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Here is one for you guys. 

A friend of the family's grandmother was having computer issues. From what they told me, when ever they turned the computer on it had colored lines going down the screen. My first though was a graphics issue, or iGPU issue specifically. When any way I guess the grandmother believes that if she has a computer issue, its because of Comcast. So I guess she called Comcast support and was on the phone with them for hours. They finally told her its her printer to get her off the phone. :D

I ended up looking at the machine myself. Well it booted just fine for me and worked with my monitor. They said they tested it with another monitor but used the cable that was already connected to the computer. So my thoughts were a bad cable. I ended up cleaning the dust out of the machine, because Im a nice guy. Sweet baby Jesus, that heat sink was atrocious (I really like that word, thats the first sentence I could use it in). Well any way I ended up pulling off the heat sink, cleaning it, cleaning all the fans and put some Artic Silver 5 on the Intel Core2 Duo. The only positive of this story, is I was able to get the computer to boot faster. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Here is one for you guys. 

A friend of the family's grandmother was having computer issues. From what they told me, when ever they turned the computer on it had colored lines going down the screen. My first though was a graphics issue, or iGPU issue specifically. When any way I guess the grandmother believes that if she has a computer issue, its because of Comcast. So I guess she called Comcast support and was on the phone with them for hours. They finally told her its her printer to get her off the phone. :D

I ended up looking at the machine myself. Well it booted just fine for me and worked with my monitor. They said they tested it with another monitor but used the cable that was already connected to the computer. So my thoughts were a bad cable. I ended up cleaning the dust out of the machine, because Im a nice guy. Sweet baby Jesus, that heat sink was atrocious (I really like that word, thats the first sentence I could use it in). Well any way I ended up pulling off the heat sink, cleaning it, cleaning all the fans and put some Artic Silver 5 on the Intel Core2 Duo. The only positive of this story, is I was able to get the computer to boot faster. 

God damn thermal throttling from boot. I can't imagine.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

On 10/4/2017 at 8:20 AM, AncientNerd said:

My first floppy drives were 8" and the first hard-drive I worked with was 5MB - that's Mega-Bytes. Not GB or TB, MB, and was for work. 

The expansion slots were S100 bus and had a massive 8k of memory on each card...the network was a 9600kbit modem.

The first computer I used was a Pentium 2-3 or something. Don't remember. I was 3 then. Around 2001.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

1 minute ago, DeezNoNos said:

The first computer I used was a Pentium 2-3 or something. Don't remember. I was 3 then. Around 2001.

probably a pentium 3 then

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Ohh i am soo glad I found this thread.. 

I work the Help-desk at a Heath Center that employees right around 500 people.

I had someone call me and was legitly mad thinking that we had done something to her computer. She said that her screen said "no input"  Its hard to not sound like a jerk when you tell her she needs to turn her computer on .... 

People call towers "Hard Drives" and think that dell xps with 960 and 4k display  are good for 60+ fps in games like GTA V and VR

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B350 GPU: Reference cooled GTX 980 Storage: Intel SSD5 256Gb RAM: 8gb Geil EVO Potenza Case:  Phanteks p300 PSU: EVGA 500 watt CPU Cooler: AMD wraith spire

Steam: maxarooni4

Battle.net: MAX

If you have an Oculus HMU in dead and buried   

On 1/16/2013 at 9:16 AM, RobbieX27 said:

People thinking they can download RAM....

People thinking secondary memory and memory are the same thing. Ha!

important figure in mensa

2 minutes ago, Jihakuz said:

People thinking secondary memory and memory are the same thing. Ha!

And you just quoted a nearly 5 year old post. I love those ads that advertise a 32GB phone! Yes! Wait, that's just storage. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Here is another one. This is a less techy issue and more of a law issue. Im in a Management Union relations class. So some of the assignments in the class involve us watching movies at home about Unions. No joke, the professor has Youtube links posted in Canvas on where to find these movies. Watched Grapes of Wrath on Youtube. LOL. Because promoting piracy at the University Level seems to be ok. LOL. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Actual Acer Home Page!

acerlol.PNG.d2dff45a85cd7ec0c89c5f815374a063.PNG

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I was telling my mom about Linux and she said she Had never heard of the Linux OS but she has heard of Linus OS

Linus OS...

Edited by ScrappyZeDog
Autocorrect

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D

It's a really small thing, but my dad thought that clock speed was the factor that determined how fast a CPU was. He was having a bit of trouble finding a laptop with a CPU that ran at over 3.06GHz. His laptop has a Core 2 Duo, so...

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

On 1/16/2013 at 9:14 PM, cxz said:

I don't really have an example except that when I go to the apple store with my gf, because her phone broke again, I would look around for the noobie and mess with him/her. I would also like to add that I do not think some of the employees should be called geniuses lol. Anyone else enjoy doing this?

To be honest, I'm not sure any of them should be called "geniuses" . They all do the same thing, performing the same troubleshooting you find on the first page of google. Some of them are more or less well trained monkeys.

15 minutes ago, Linglanglong said:

To be honest, I'm not sure any of them should be called "geniuses" . They all do the same thing, performing the same troubleshooting you find on the first page of google. Some of them are more or less well trained monkeys.

But it sells so...

So my PC wasn’t working and my grandma needed to send a ecard to my uncle in Germany, so I told her she could use my laptop. She said “where’s the mouse, because I’m not comfortable with the pad thing” so the whole time on 123greetings she was right clicking even though I showed her how to click the pad on the left side. I lol’ed so hard.

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

https://myanimelist.net/profile/AnalCavity

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

1 hour ago, Zic05 said:

So my PC wasn’t working and my grandma needed to send a ecard to my uncle in Germany, so I told her she could use my laptop. She said “where’s the mouse, because I’m not comfortable with the pad thing” so the whole time on 123greetings she was right clicking even though I showed her how to click the pad on the left side. I lol’ed so hard.

mom is the same with my HP laptop. she is using a MBP for her daily the last few years but still, even after i tell her she dosent seem to understand how the two buttons differ

Builds:

Spoiler

"It downloaded, but I don't see the little bar at the bottom!" - a Chrome user trying to use Firefox

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Um...

...what part of not being able to natively remap the squeeze gesture on the Pixel 2 is "not the same" as the inability to do the same for the Bixby key?

I don't get it.

wut.png

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1