Experiences with non-techies

8 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i can testify for the fact that the I5 6200U is a pice of shit to game on lol

Anything with a “U” won’t be suitable for gaming.

Ideally, you want a processor with an “HQ” at the end. While the i5 7300HQ’s naming might seem that it is significantly slower than the i7 7700HQ, in reality it’s not all that slow. It loses out in HT, but as of this time, there’s not a heap of games that can take full advantage of multithreading.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Anything with a “U” won’t be suitable for gaming.

Ideally, you want a processor with an “HQ” at the end. While the i5 7300HQ’s naming might seem that it is significantly slower than the i7 7700HQ, in reality it’s not all that slow. It loses out in HT, but as of this time, there’s not a heap of games that can take full advantage of multithreading.

I can tell you that an i5 7200u cannot play Terraria at high 1080p at constant 60fps.

The fucking m3 7y30 is more expensive than i5 7300HQ. Why isn't HQ used more often? :( 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Why isn't HQ used more often?

Power draw and heat, pyo. There is a reason that a 15" MacBook Pro with 7700HQ and Radeon Pro 555 costs damn near twice as much as an Alienware 13 with the same 7700HQ, GTX1060, RGB, and a PCIe x4 link explicitly for eGPU, pyo. Just under $1000 more for the 15" Alienware, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Power draw and heat, pyo. There is a reason that a 15" MacBook Pro with 7700HQ and Radeon Pro 555 costs damn near twice as much as an Alienware 13 with the same 7700HQ, GTX1060, RGB, and a PCIe x4 link explicitly for eGPU, pyo. Just under $1000 more for the 15" Alienware, pyo.

Lol what is pyo supposed to mean

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

10 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Make laptop thicker, boom. More space for battery and a cooling system.

I don't know what you're getting at with the MacBook .. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

11 minutes ago, themctipers said:

I don't know what you're getting at with the MacBook .. 

MBP does get hot, but it can contain the heat and give good battery life whilst being pretty thin, pyo. Whereas the Alienware can run cooler, but has worse battery life and isn't that thin, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

17 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Lol what is pyo supposed to mean

Pyo means pyo, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Pyo means pyo, pyo.

OH WOW!!! I totally know what you mean now!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DocSwag said:

OH WOW!!! I totally know what you mean now!

Good, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

MBP does get hot, but it can contain the heat and give good battery life whilst being pretty thin, pyo. Whereas the Alienware can run cooler, but has worse battery life and isn't that thin, pyo.

Pick two:

battery life

performance

thinness

wallet

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

Pick two:

battery life

performance

thinness

wallet

I have the second highest teir MBP 15", that is a recent purchase. It performs better than I expected, and keeps up with the similarly spec'd Alienware laptops I've played with. Battery life is great. Cooling is decent, I can game on it and I haven't gotten it to throttle any worse than any other laptop I've tried.

And I just bought an Oculus Rift.

I can pick all 4 if I damn well please.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I have the second highest teir MBP 15", that is a recent purchase. It performs better than I expected, and keeps up with the similarly spec'd Alienware laptops I've played with. Battery life is great. Cooling is decent, I can game on it and I haven't gotten it to throttle any worse than any other laptop I've tried.

And I just bought an Oculus Rift.

I can pick all 4 if I damn well please.

And I'm sitting here wanting an i5 8350u laptop that is thick as hell, filled with battery and a good cooling system. Also that non soldered SSD/RAM, need that. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

And I'm sitting here wanting an i5 8350u laptop that is thick as hell, filled with battery and a good cooling system. Also that non soldered SSD/RAM, need that. 

If I need raw power, I've got a desktop that will be able to outclass any laptop, pro. If I need ultra portability and artz, I have my Surface Pro 4, pyo. If I need a bit of both, my MBP can cover that, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

If I need raw power, I've got a desktop that will be able to outclass any laptop, pro. If I need ultra portability and artz, I have my Surface Pro 4, pyo. If I need a bit of both, my MBP can cover that, pyo.

Same sorta, maybe. 

I have a desktop for when I need to get shit done, and right now I am looking for a laptop that is basically going to be a chromebook for me, while not being a chromebook (chromebooks are almost all cheap plastic things that don't even have 1080p IPS display) 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Same sorta, maybe. 

I have a desktop for when I need to get shit done, and right now I am looking for a laptop that is basically going to be a chromebook for me, while not being a chromebook (chromebooks are almost all cheap plastic things that don't even have 1080p IPS display) 

Samsung has a new, high end Chromebook that has S-Pen, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Samsung has a new, high end Chromebook that has S-Pen, pyo.

Basically like. Not is. 

I want to be able to upgrade the ram, shove an SSD inside, replace the battery when it's dying, and run windows / linux. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I want to be able to upgrade the ram, shove an SSD inside, replace the battery when it's dying, and run windows / linux

Ah, I'd advice buying used, but I try to practice what I preach, and I spit upon used hardware, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Ah, I'd advice buying used, but I try to practice what I preach, and I spit upon used hardware, pyo.

I would, but my parents will be like: you fucking disgrace we only buy new shit fuck off with that disgusting, horrible, second hand piece of shit

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I would, but my parents will be like: you fucking disgrace we only buy new shit fuck off with that disgusting, horrible, second hand piece of shit

Everything Drak3 gets second hand breaks after a few months, pyo. Meanwhile, my fatboy PS3 works like a charm and has been dropped multiple times throughout the years, I got that new, pyo. Same for every other new purchase, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Everything Drak3 gets second hand breaks after a few months, pyo. Meanwhile, my fatboy PS3 works like a charm and has been dropped multiple times throughout the years, I got that new, pyo. Same for every other new purchase, pyo.

image.thumb.jpg.f42dd7f7d21604979f4a8c346edd5bf3.jpgLaptop has a dial up modem. This is how old it is. No, it's a consumer laptop.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

image.thumb.jpg.f42dd7f7d21604979f4a8c346edd5bf3.jpgLaptop has a dial up modem. This is how old it is. No, it's a consumer laptop.

I've got an old Inspiron with a dial up modem, Pyo. That's really not that special, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

I've got an old Inspiron with a dial up modem, Pyo. That's really not that special, pyo.

1280 x 800 display. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1280 x 800 display. 

Still not special, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Still not special, pyo.

Tiny 1" by 0.5" trackpad with left and right click buttons.

A dedicated macro button.

Dedicated volume up and down buttons.

Firewire '1394' port

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

4 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Tiny 1" by 0.5" trackpad with left and right click buttons.

Interesting, but not by much, pyo.

A dedicated macro button.

Not quite common, but not exactly special, pyo. Not like an old Dell XPS with a fingerprint scanner I had during mid Vista era, pyo.

Dedicated volume up and down buttons

My MBP and Surface Pro 4 have those, yp.

Firewire '1394' port

Meh, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel