Experiences with non-techies

On 10/21/2017 at 9:47 AM, Zic05 said:

<snip>

I don't like the most trackpads either so I have a wireless mouse. My mother was so happy when we found the key combination to disable hers

One of my gaming friends was interviewing for a game testing gig that I had at the time. I was close to my manager at the time and he was conducting the interviews so I asked him how it went afterwards. He said that my friend didn't know what a hard drive was. Still really confused by this as he had installed a higher capacity HDD in his PS4... God knows what he said during that interview @_@

One of my co-workers used to work at a call center for Apple (I think) and he had plenty of terrible stories to tell. One customer that called had nothing but great things to say about Apple. Their machine run so great, it really helps his productivity, they really think of everything for their customers. Just one issue his cup holder wont go back in his PC... After some confusion my co-worker realized that the customer thought the disk drive bay was a cup holder and bent it out of shape... This world sometimes...

"this computer is underpriced, I paid 2600 for a worse one"Screenshot_20171024-075636.thumb.png.49377280bfef88c53dcbba731e80724d.png

So Basically, my job is that of an IT/Epos Manager. Epos meaning Electronic point of sale (Till Systems).

Had a customer call up and state that there system turned off mid service and they were panicking. They were screaming down the phone "First our Kitchen and now the F***ing Till system too!"

I calmed them down and asked them to make sure it was turned on at the wall and plugged in to which they replied "Its too dark to see, this is impossible". I calmly asked them to turn on the light to which they responded "I can't, we have no power".... -.-

Long story short, Had a customer shouting down the phone about their till not working when it was due to a power cut.

B| Obligatory Signature Text B|

12 minutes ago, The_Protagonist said:

So Basically, my job is that of an IT/Epos Manager. Epos meaning Electronic point of sale (Till Systems).

Had a customer call up and state that there system turned off mid service and they were panicking. They were screaming down the phone "First our Kitchen and now the F***ing Till system too!"

I calmed them down and asked them to make sure it was turned on at the wall and plugged in to which they replied "Its too dark to see, this is impossible". I calmly asked them to turn on the light to which they responded "I can't, we have no power".... -.-

Long story short, Had a customer shouting down the phone about their till not working when it was due to a power cut.

people find a way to make everything the ITs foult lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

15 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

"this computer is underpriced, I paid 2600 for a worse one"

WHAT THE FUCK IS A UNDERPRICED PC????????????????????????????????????

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Um, okay then.

So apparently, they gimped the viewing angles by having severe color shift so "Samsung phone owners" can't look at them.

Screenshot_20171025-122121.jpg

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

5 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Um, okay then.

So apparently, they gimped the viewing angles by having severe color shift so "Samsung phone owners" can't look at them.

thats retarded to a new level

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

so i could go on and on about my parents. they call starting firefox "going into the internet" and they are under the impression if the browser isnt open then the pc is not online so they will start firefox and just have it open in the background before starting teamviewer so i can help. 

also my dad still goes back every page seperatly until he reaches the startpage before closing the browser. i have no idea he got that into his head even after explained you would go back in a book page by page before closing it.

he aso has me overlook every single one of his ebay purchases just to make sure he doesnt "do something wrong" even though hes done it hundreds of times

i could go on and on ...

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

3 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

also my dad still goes back every page seperatly until he reaches the startpage before closing the browser.

i have the same thing with my mom, but she only does that on her phone :D

ASUS ROG Strix GL502VM

i7-6700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 128GB SSD+1TB HDD 5400 RPM | 1080p IPS G-Sync 

4 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

so i could go on and on about my parents. they call starting firefox "going into the internet"

LOL I do this sometimes just because people give me funny looks if you call the browser by name

That's an F in the profile pic

7 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

so i could go on and on about my parents. they call starting firefox "going into the internet" and they are under the impression if the browser isnt open then the pc is not online so they will start firefox and just have it open in the background before starting teamviewer so i can help. 

also my dad still goes back every page seperatly until he reaches the startpage before closing the browser. i have no idea he got that into his head even after explained you would go back in a book page by page before closing it.

he aso has me overlook every single one of his ebay purchases just to make sure he doesnt "do something wrong" even though hes done it hundreds of times

i could go on and on ...

dude is stuck in the VCR era

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

At work, a professor called IT explaining that their computer was booting up slowly and new users couldn't login. After a seeing that the disk was completely full, we found that the professor had over 80 hours of 1080p video of an experiment where he just poked a bug in a trash can with various sticks and poking items. He was indinant when we told him it was because of his stupid bug videos (obviously we didn't say it like that, but he had to buy an external hard drive)

It took almost 2 hours to move all the videos for him :( 

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

One of my favorites was when my friend asked me questions about his MacBook and I asked him what version of MacOS he has, his response was "I don't even know what that is." At school we tricked someone into thinking you could actually download more Ram, coincidence or not both were Apple users. 

Not to be rude to my family, but basically everyone is very tech illiterate. My grandparents have gotten scammed a few times now and had to get new computers after viruses were put on them. And my parents use... Internet explorer... 

Me on the other hand, I've been using technology for as long as I could remember. From taking apart the dishwasher to taking apart every single HESS truck I had, I can't remember a time I haven't used, dismantled or destroyed technology. Every piece of technology I have has been taken apart more than once, because I have to know everything about what I use. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

1 minute ago, kk027 said:

I hate it when people do that. 

people call the tower the cpu.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

Just now, kk027 said:

That is just as bad. 

people think the better laptop is the one with the i7. Doesnt matter which sku or generation.

People point at the monitor and say can you turn it on.

A new computer is a changed case not changed components. 

I could go on.................................................................................

Build

Spoiler

Just now, kk027 said:

And some people think that U/M/HQ/HK processors and AMD Mobile/Nvidia M GPUs are as good as their desktop counterparts. 

I once saw some one on this forum asking if he should buy a 5960x or a Fx-8350. He didnt care what he bought he just wanted a 8 core. Dont know for what reason.

I once saw a guy on youtube say that the fx-9690 or something was a good cpu for gaming cause it naturally boosted to 5ghz

Build

Spoiler

Just now, kk027 said:

Even if the FX-9690 did boost to 5GHz it still has that low ipc holding it back. 

Yes but the video also said higher clock speed is better for gaming.....................

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

FUCK IPC

Build

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, kk027 said:

That is a very good point... 

Hide contents

Why does that person even make tech videos? 

No i idea. I subscribed because he did videos in my mother tongue. Then he did not make sense so I stopped watching.

TechincalGurgi or something like that

Build

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, kk027 said:

And some people think that U/M/HQ/HK processors are as good as their desktop counterparts. 

Ti be fair, U, HQ, and HK are...at the same clocks.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

10 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Ti be fair, U, HQ, and HK are...at the same clocks.

yeah.............at the same clocks. 

Build

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

yeah.............at the same clocks. 

One can get a 7700HQ to 4.2GHz, on sone laptops.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

and one can get a 7700k to 5ghz on most desktops.

Build

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

With one or two cores, yeah.

4.2 would way exceed the 45w limit if it was on all cores.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb