Experiences with non-techies

I got one here. So my mom calls TCF bank because she couldn't login or change your login creds for online banking. In Chrome and Firefox the site would not load. So TCF says we have to call our Anti Virus Provider, because TCF made "changes" and a few AV's didnt work with the changes. Ok what ever. My mom gets off the phone and tells me to call Avast up and tell them to fix. I was like, they aint going to do shit. Then I proceeded to test the site in Chrome, Firefox and MS Edge. GUess what, it was a Firefox and Chrome Issue. It worked fine in Edge. Why the Tech on the phone didnt try a few web browsers. 

I had the same issue when loging in with to my Universities sites. Same thing, Chrome didnt work but Edge did. So I used Edge for a while until the problem went away. Morale of the story, if it dont work in one browser try several more before you give up. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Luke-meme2.PNG

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

29 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Luke-meme2.PNG

My eyes they hurt 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I might've forgotten my LTT password..

image.jpg

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

15 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I got one here. So my mom calls TCF bank because she couldn't login or change your login creds for online banking. In Chrome and Firefox the site would not load. So TCF says we have to call our Anti Virus Provider, because TCF made "changes" and a few AV's didnt work with the changes. Ok what ever. My mom gets off the phone and tells me to call Avast up and tell them to fix. I was like, they aint going to do shit. Then I proceeded to test the site in Chrome, Firefox and MS Edge. GUess what, it was a Firefox and Chrome Issue. It worked fine in Edge. Why the Tech on the phone didnt try a few web browsers. 

I had the same issue when loging in with to my Universities sites. Same thing, Chrome didnt work but Edge did. So I used Edge for a while until the problem went away. Morale of the story, if it dont work in one browser try several more before you give up. 

And try to remove cookies. Last week I couldn't log in to some website got poped an error.

removed the cookies all was fine again.

15 hours ago, Darth Revan said:

To be fair, he does have a point. The User Account Control feature is annoying and useless.

Getting viruses is annoying and useless too you know...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

7 hours ago, themctipers said:

I might've forgotten my LTT password..

i just log in with Steam, that way i dont have to remember and its safe because dual factor auth lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Getting viruses is annoying and useless too you know...

User Account Control doesn't stop viruses.

5 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

It's actually what most nasty viruses use to disable everything that protects your PC and to annoy you

trust me, not fun. Not even malware bytes can remove all of that nasty shit

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, Darth Revan said:

In some cases it does... For example, if the file is not signed

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

7 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

In some cases it does... For example, if the file is not signed

ive only noticed that to happen when i install 'specsboss' @AluminiumTech

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

On 1/16/2013 at 0:12 AM, nillas12 said:

Thought it would be fun to make a topic about, all of our experiences with all the people, who doesn't really understand all the tech.

Note: Don't make this too harsh on them. You need to help them, not yell at them.

I'll go first:

So my mom has a daycare. And one day I am sitting on the floor with my laptop. And one of the kids, with real dirty hands come and put his hand on the screen. Guess he thought it was a touch screen. Still haven't gotten it off, and it was 3 months ago.

My grandmother is scared of getting rid of the computer, because she thinks it will cut the power to her house.

What is *insert technical term here*

41 minutes ago, yathis said:

What is *insert technical term here*

What is the Ethernet ?

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

50 minutes ago, themctipers said:

What is the Ethernet ?

i keep calling it Ethernet infront of my parents when explaining shit and i have to add, the internet thing so they understand somewhat

Builds:

Spoiler

One time (quite a long ago, when we still had CRT TV's) I noticed my grandma was watching TV but the image was almost grayscale, so I opened the front knob cover to turn up the color saturation but she stopped me by yelling: "No! Don't fiddle around with it! It will break!"

My other grandma got a widescreen TV some years ago. At that point most TV stations still broadcast 4:3 video and she had it stretched to 16:9. I said that I will fix it, but: "No! Then I have black bars on the sides!". Apparently a horribly stretched image was not a problem for her.

One time I had to drive to the other side of town because my aunt had accidentally dragged an icon off the quick launch bar onto the desktop and couldn't get it back in there so I had to come to "fix" it. No joke.

I'd noticed that when I plug in my netbook to one of the powerstrips at work, it (the netbook) would shock me upon touching after a while. I told my boss not to plug in her laptop to that strip and to do something about it. But because her philosophy is "if something is working now, it will work forever", she didn't, and consequently fried her laptop's motherboard last week while plugged in to that strip.

My Polish teacher in high school once asked me to come up to her desk because "the mouse isn't working" (the school had recently bought laptops for the teachers). Turns out that the mouse was, indeed, not working, because the laptop hadn't been turned on.

Another time, the same teacher was writing a website address on the blackboard. She had it written down on a piece of paper. She started writing "www." and then paused for a moment before going: "but there isn't an @ in this address..."

That's just a few examples. The worst thing isn't that these people do such things, I mean not everyone has to be tech savvy. The worst thing is that when I try to explain to them what they did wrong and what to do so that it doesn't happen again, they immediately stop me, saying: "Nah, it's all black magic to me". As a teacher I find this popular unwillingness to learn disturbing.

People calling every form of internet connection "Wi-Fi"

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

Just found this on amazon... xD

Cable1.PNG

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

3 minutes ago, Xsinar said:

Just found this on amazon... xD

Cable1.PNG

?????????? good shit go౦ԁ sHit? thats ✔ some good??shit right??there??? right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self ? i say so ? thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ? ?? ?НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ??Good shit 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I think the thing that frustrates me as a young techy, People ask for my help, Then when things start to look complicated for them (i open a CMD window) or the registry or something they always say something like "you're sure you know what you're doing right?" 

I mean, YOU are asking for MY help right? stop asking questions and let me do my thing. 

16 minutes ago, themctipers said:

?????????? good shit go౦ԁ sHit? thats ✔ some good??shit right??there??? right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self ? i say so ? thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ? ?? ?НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ??Good shit 

CCYHPF6y5yhnG.gif

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

36 minutes ago, Xsinar said:

CCYHPF6y5yhnG.gif

Working as intended

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

When people say that they have more "knowledge" than you in the "topic" of Information technology...   ...every time I meet such people it comes out that they have no clue what so ever... #Rekt

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

There was one time that my dad was in a college computer lab a few decades ago, and there was a student there that typed very slowly.  Basically, the conversation went like this:

Dad: "Why are you typing so slowly?"

Person: "Well, I'm worried I'll break the keyboard."

Dad: *repeatedly karate-chops keyboard*

Dad: "You're not gonna break it."

Person: "Ok! :D"

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy