Experiences with non-techies

11 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Static electricity can be a real bitch. Even if your hardware still works after an ESD event, the lifespan could be reduced substantially. 

And that's how my 760 died. :/ 

-

my dad's laptop. 

image.jpeg

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

On 2017-03-05 at 7:12 PM, Akima said:

I used to work for a heavy industrial IT company. So not desktop level hardware. Not even server. Industrial grade. Equipment that could operate fanless in extreme wide temperatures environments, and suffer a ton of ESD and EMI interference without even twitching.

One of the directors at the company had literally no idea what half the equipment did. It was so cringeworthy watching him trying to blag his way with clients. I remember one meeting with a well known research body and they were after an Embedded PC that met some high-end MIL-STD-810 standard and his response was "oh yeah I'm sure we can meet that.. we're ISO9001."...........

im glad im studying enginering because if not i wouldent have understod shit of that xD

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

ok this isnt verry much to do with computers or anything but i was on my way home with my family from vacation today and i see that the gas station i usiually refuel at has stopped selling E85 and i go "oh well where am i suposed to get E85 from now?"(im planing on running my moped on E85 because its dirt cheap and saves the enviroment a bit) and mom goes "but why dony you just put bio-diesel in it?" and i facepalmed so hard i cant even belive...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

13 hours ago, themctipers said:

iPhone 7.

Apple is most certainly ISO-90001 certified.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

18 hours ago, themctipers said:

i aim for ~80-90 fps on my display (60hz, overclocked to 70hz)

just for the extra fluidity. 

did you mean hdmi? :P 

u use hdmi yes, i can only run 144 on dvi but im too lazy to buy one

20 hours ago, techstorm970 said:

I once ran into somebody that thought that video games were popular in the 1950s, and that the Game Boy was invented in the 1960s.

If that were true, could you imagine where gaming would be today?

21 hours ago, themctipers said:

That's bad... You should do 70 or 140 but anything in between causes tearing.

On 3/8/2017 at 0:52 PM, themctipers said:

HDMI can't do 144hz

3 minutes ago, checkitimawesome said:

HDMI can't do 144hz

what?

HDMI 1.3 and above are capable of 144 Hz at 1080p, and HDMI 2.0 is capable of 144 Hz at 1440p.

19 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

what?

That's not what HDMI specs say. HDMI specs says it doesn't support 144hz, other than 2.1, 2,1 supports 144.

But there might be something that doesn't follow the spec?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 minute ago, Mihle said:

That's not what HDMI specs say. HDMI specs says it doesn't support 144hz, other than 2.1, 2,1 supports 144.

Which specs? where you getting the info from

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Which specs? where you getting the info from

I mean, different sources seem to say different things.

So I don't know.....

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

7 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Check official site

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/

5 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I can not find any specs for 1080p there, at least without becoming an adopter..

-Stephen Hawking

23 hours ago, Radiant said:

I use DisplayPort :P 

how do you not have a spare..?

20 hours ago, Principis said:

That's bad... You should do 70 or 140 but anything in between causes tearing.

I don't notice screen tearing very much, or at all. 

Extra fluidity >>>> maybe seeing something for a split second that may annoy me 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

On 2017-03-09 at 4:00 PM, Radiant said:

DVI-D dual link to insainely thick VGA cable masterrace :ph34r: thats how i get 75Hz one of my 22" monitors. anyway over HDMI iv never been able to push over 77Hz 1080p(might be panel limitation too, not sure) but hey, its one hell of an upgrade from 60Hz, i never want to game on a 60Hz panel ever again lol

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

I use DisplayPort :P 

how do you not have a spare..?

i litteraly dont own a DP cable and my 970 has 3 DP outs -_- why could they not just stick another DVI-D Dual Link on there instead :( 

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Extra fluidity >>>> maybe seeing something for a split second that may annoy me 

i never limit my framerates, screen tearing isnt really something thats present in most games i play(OSU, Paladins, BDO(when it goes over 30fps...))

Builds:

Spoiler

47 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

DVI-D dual link to insainely thick VGA cable masterrace :ph34r: thats how i get 75Hz one of my 22" monitors. anyway over HDMI iv never been able to push over 77Hz 1080p(might be panel limitation too, not sure) but hey, its one hell of an upgrade from 60Hz, i never want to game on a 60Hz panel ever again lol

i litteraly dont own a DP cable and my 970 has 3 DP outs -_- why could they not just stick another DVI-D Dual Link on there instead :( 

i never limit my framerates, screen tearing isnt really something thats present in most games i play(OSU, Paladins, BDO(when it goes over 30fps...))

Pip is cute ?

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

8 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Pip is cute ?

pip is fun, especially with the Catalyst legendary on Serpent beach lol

Builds:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Same. I prefer to use my old 1280x1024 17" Dell UltraSharp rather than my Acer H236HL BID due to the refresh rate being 75Hz on the Dell and 60Hz on the Acer. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

Same. I prefer to use my old 1280x1024 17" Dell UltraSharp rather than my Acer H236HL BID due to the refresh rate being 75Hz on the Dell and 60Hz on the Acer. 

i just overclock all monitors i have, everything is better then 60Hz tbh

Builds:

Spoiler

well i was a bit of a non techy today, i bought a used pair of headphones that looked like they would plug right into my sound cards MIDI out but no, they were XLR 5 pol and adapters for that are scarce at best -_- 

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i just overclock all monitors i have, everything is better then 60Hz tbh

Idk how to oc my AOC 23 inch 1080p monitor. We use DVI on it