Experiences with non-techies

Just now, Urishima said:

I... what?

While not entirely open source there are a variety of programming languages existing for Windows that are easy to learn

Just now, LucasDerpYT said:

I like windows more than Linux. I don't code so the existing coded programs and coding languages are more abundant on Windows help me if I want to code

I see Linux as suitable for more technical users, though Windows gets the edge in ease of use and historical familiarity. Linux is noted in business field to be viable as servers due to not needing to pay license fees at the expense of needing well-trained staff or group to operate or setup the system, respectively.

Spoiler

Primary PC - Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 w/ 8GB RAM and HDD to SSD upgrades - Multi-Purpose / Light Gaming Laptop

Aurelia Null Box - Custom Gamer-Developer Hybrid Desktop PC: Link Below (Intel Core i7 6700, RX 480)

1 minute ago, Aereto_Compuru said:

I see Linux as suitable for more technical users, though Windows gets the edge in ease of use and historical familiarity. Linux is noted in business field to be viable as servers due to not needing to pay license fees at the expense of needing well-trained staff or group to operate or setup the system, respectively.

Yea though I can't imagine its hard on LTT servers to host LTT forums on Windows Server. And yes it is cheaper to make a Linux server is it really easier?

8 minutes ago, LucasDerpYT said:

I like windows more than Linux. I don't code so the existing coded programs and coding languages are more abundant on Windows help me if I want to code

i like windows over linux because shit just works

and terminal is scary

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

i like windows over linux because shit just works

and terminal is scary

*Pulls up cmd and starts typing on a green backlit keyboard like a hack*

That type of scary?

1 minute ago, LucasDerpYT said:

*Pulls up cmd and starts typing on a green backlit keyboard like a hack*

That type of scary?

@echo off 

color 0a

cd..

cd..

tree

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Seriously why are people so scared of command prompt and more so Dosbox or dos? I get the media portrayal and that isnbullshit CMD is useful.

Yea though I can't imagine its hard on LTT servers to host LTT forums on Windows Server. And yes it is cheaper to make a Linux server is it really easier?

That would depend on who's managing it, but to non-technical users of the system, Linux is pretty technical in exchange for being able to have as much control over software components as their experience can provide.

Not to mention that there is the choices of accessing the system via terminal with Command Line Interface (minimal resource use), or via Graphic User Interface (ease of use)

Spoiler

Primary PC - Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 w/ 8GB RAM and HDD to SSD upgrades - Multi-Purpose / Light Gaming Laptop

Aurelia Null Box - Custom Gamer-Developer Hybrid Desktop PC: Link Below (Intel Core i7 6700, RX 480)

3 minutes ago, LucasDerpYT said:

Linux servers CAN be easier seeing as the OS just has to include the features you want and almost everything is free aswell, Linux distros usiually have basically one purpose and it does that REALLY good and everything else meh. i would totaly use Linux but i play to many games to cocider switching

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, LucasDerpYT said:

Seriously why are people so scared of command prompt and more so Dosbox or dos? I get the media portrayal and that isnbullshit CMD is useful.

it just is

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

34 minutes ago, LucasDerpYT said:

Well alot of them happened when my mum took a job in Myrtle Beach managing a hotel. At the time I looked my best, I had access to a pool everyday and since we weren't sure if she'd keep the job due to a 6 month contract that they might sell the property we got to stay there. 

Most of thEm were like 13-14

Uh... Ok then...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, themctipers said:

it just is

CMD isn't scary. It's what enables people to know their ipv4 or Mac address for WLAN sessions. It's what let's you know through a simple command of your HDD is OK etC

2 minutes ago, Aereto_Compuru said:

That would depend on who's managing it, but to non-technical users of the system, Linux is pretty technical in exchange for being able to have as much control over software components as their experience can provide.

Not to mention that there is the choices of accessing the system via terminal with Command Line Interface (minimal resource use), or via Graphic User Interface (ease of use)

As in Windows gives you more control of hardware or Linux does? 

2 minutes ago, LucasDerpYT said:

CMD isn't scary. It's what enables people to know their ipv4 or Mac address for WLAN sessions. It's what let's you know through a simple command of your HDD is OK etC

actually cmd is somewhat scary for me but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I've known about CMD (or bash in Linux), but knowing commands and attributes is something users feel they're better at the hands of technical users who are more familiar with the interface. It's also possible to make scripts or programs there as long as it has a text editor, just that requires knowledge and experience to know how that is done.

Spoiler

Just now, Aereto_Compuru said:

I've known about CMD (or bash in Linux), but knowing commands and attributes is something users feel they're better at the hands of technical users who are more familiar with the interface. It's also possible to make scripts or programs there as long as it has a text editor, just that requires knowledge and experience to know how that is done.

i might've gotten into trouble once for making a little cmd script that just said this is not the end (a krewella song i enjoyed back then and still enjoy now)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, Aereto_Compuru said:

Yea. I wish there weren't si many misconceptions

4 minutes ago, LucasDerpYT said:

As in Windows gives you more control of hardware or Linux does? 

Control of hardware is in the hands of the kernel / firmware, especially when the circuity is as small as technology has developed to be. Linux's open source trait allows editing of that kernel or operating system and even update itself without rebooting (so long as you know what you are doing).

I do happen to have limits of what I have learned and practiced on either operating systems.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, LucasDerpYT said:

Yea. I wish there weren't si many misconceptions

Be it punch cards, binary, switches, scripts, or programs/applications, it's the thing with translating human thought language to machine process language. Don't ask me on qbits and quantum computers; that's not in my mental library.

Spoiler

Just now, Aereto_Compuru said:

Be it punch cards, binary, switches, scripts, or programs/applications, it's the thing with translating human thought language to machine process language. Don't ask me on qbits and quantum computers; that's not in my mental library.

Yea, coding and such isn't in my mental library but hardware and computer stuff is

2 hours ago, LucasDerpYT said:

While not entirely open source there are a variety of programming languages existing for Windows that are easy to learn

You do realize that you can code anything anywhere, right? As in, the process of writing code.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

*accidentally shoves charger into my HDMI*

Fuck *proceeds to shove into Ethernet port*

*laptop falls* fuck

*Proceeds to locate USB and shoves it in upside down*

And yea, my laptop hinges are broken and make it immobile hence why I want a new laptop 

image.jpg

My mouse doesn't work in Linux so nope...

And I hate that it takes so much effort to install a simple program.

25 minutes ago, Urishima said:

You do realize that you can code anything anywhere, right? As in, the process of writing code.

Not with the same programming language

Not with the same programming language

huh?