Experiences with non-techies

16 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

2 years ago I ended up troubleshooting a monitor at school that would only show the red and blue signals from the computer, but it was actually only the cable that was broken. Later in the same classroom, I had to help my teacher set up a new monitor, but the only thing we had to do was plug it in...

Ah yeah, setting up monitors and stuff.

One of my teachers once called me and another kid out of one of our classes to help her connect to a monitor. We just had to plug it in and force detect it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

In high-school, there were a row of computers in the back of the classroom.  I had booted with a Linux livecd, the screensaver came on during a lecture and was distracting a few of my classmates.  Since I sat up front, I asked a kid in the back to turn off the monitor.  He pressed the reset button on the tower of the computer next to it

9 hours ago, Pascal... said:

Today I observed one of my Classmates how he explained to a Substitute teacher how a scanner works, that it slef made me cringe but the fact that he needed to explain to her how a normal everyday Headset with a regular 3.5mm jack works just made me Facepalm so hard that I nearly droped my Glasses. I mean she is a teacher, dosen't she know these simple things ? LOL

I go to a very tech focused high-school but some of the teachers don't even know how to get the projector working after working there for years :|

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Friend: "Hey, can you edit this and make a 60fps video?"
Me: "Hmm, not this one, sorry."

Friend: "What?! You must be joking! Come on, your PC can handle 60fps well but not this one?!" <- he was referring to game fps, not video.

Me: "Hey, the video was recorded in 30fps. Yeah the project file is 1080p 60fps but your video is 30fps."

Friend: "....."

Me: "....."

*moment of silence*

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Worked at Administrative building for a company as a IT support/administrator. They called me one time that one of the working lady that did their documents had faulty/broken PC and she couldn't operate. So I'm rushing through the cabinet and start investigating thinking it's something big maybe something fried from the last thunderstorm (last night) maybe it's something else. Nope....the cleaning lady turned her monitor off while cleaning..and she couldn't understand what was the problem. Turned her monitor on and did a roll backwards while facepalming out of the room.

12 hours ago, Pascal... said:

Today I observed one of my Classmates how he explained to a Substitute teacher how a scanner works, that it slef made me cringe but the fact that he needed to explain to her how a normal everyday Headset with a regular 3.5mm jack works just made me Facepalm so hard that I nearly droped my Glasses. I mean she is a teacher, dosen't she know these simple things ? LOL

Some people are technophobes, my girlfriend doesn't really understand tech that well; says she doesn't have the patience for it

On 6/15/2018 at 2:58 PM, GilmourD said:

My biggest problem is when we get tickets that are literally like this. And I'm using "literally" correctly. None of this is hyperbole.

Subject: HELP!!!
Body: My thing is broken!!!

It astounds me that nobody understands that you need to describe the problem. It also astounds me that about 80% of the time there's nothing actually wrong but rather they never even tried to make it work. They just see things are off and don't bother turning them on.

Or the variation of that

"My computer isn't working fix it please"

A lot of the time my job revolves are people who seem to not have common sense when it comes to tech, that or it's a PEBKAC or PICNIC problem

People who use bottleneck calculator.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

3 hours ago, Tcrumpen said:

Or the variation of that

Yeah, but at least your version refers to the thing that's not working as a computer and not just a "thing". LOL

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

21 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

Yeah, but at least your version refers to the thing that's not working as a computer and not just a "thing". LOL

Although true, saying my computer is broken is still very vague it could be anything from a piece of software not working to a component has failed and needing replacing, so it's more focused but at the same time VERY vague

7 hours ago, Tcrumpen said:

Although true, saying my computer is broken is still very vague it could be anything from a piece of software not working to a component has failed and needing replacing, so it's more focused but at the same time VERY vague

Yeah, but ever show up to handle a vague ticket and have it be something that's not even IT related? I've had people ask me to fix classroom announcement speakers and bells after leading me to believe it's something within my purview. LOL

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

I don't work with computers but at a battery store. We do everything from hard to get button cells, 18650s to truck batteries and 24v 100ah lithium. 

We had a lady a couple months back abuse us for selling her the wrong laptop battery. She brought her laptop in to show us and she thought the power supply case was the battery compartment. 

Another lady spent half a hour making us show her all these car and truck batteries ( her English was not very good) 

She kept measuring the batteries with a piece of cardboard ( not actually a bad idea, done it myself with multiple measurements)

Each time she pointed to a battery she would say " more like that" 

Some batteries were 80kg 200 amp batteries. 

She finally get fed up with us and pulled a laptop battery out of her hand bag to show us the actual battery she wantec.

12 hours ago, GilmourD said:

Yeah, but ever show up to handle a vague ticket and have it be something that's not even IT related? I've had people ask me to fix classroom announcement speakers and bells after leading me to believe it's something within my purview. LOL

Yes i have had that, in fact had one yesterday

On 2018-08-23 at 4:23 AM, Tcrumpen said:

Or the variation of that

Or "the server is not working" when it's working for everyone else...

They can't access a specific web page... "internet is not working"

This happened in the past, I just want to show how I felt that day...

Friend 1: "Welp, my laptop doesn't boot to Windows (couldn't reach the desktop)" <- drivers conflict

Friend 2: "My laptop is so slow" <- malware

Friend 3: "Help me install linux" <- self-explanatory

Friend 4: "Uhh can you guide me in installing Arch Linux?" <- this was a pain, one of the hardest >_<

Friend 5: "Uh.... My car is broken, can you help me diagnose it ? If you can, fix it too maybe??? Pleasee??" <- coolant issue, too late though, the head gasket popped (overheating).

Me:

Spoiler

image.png.08056ade53813559097f2573ec1694f0.png

I shouldn't have accepted all of them at once.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I found out over the weekend that one of my housemates capitalizes letters exclusively with caps lock instead of shift.

It's minor, but it killed me.

My Build, "Helios"

CPU: 5950x with Noctua NH-D15

GPU: MSI 2080ti

Case: BE QUIET! Dark Base 900 Pro

Storage: Samsung 970  pro 500gb (boot drive), unknown 2tb Seagate drive, 4tb WD Black drive

PSU: Corsair HX1000i

RAM: (4x8) Trident Z RGB

Remote PC Starter Kit

7 minutes ago, JMSOG said:

I found out over the weekend that one of my housemates capitalizes letters exclusively with caps lock instead of shift.

It's minor, but it killed me.

Even when doing full sentences in all caps SUCH AS THIS PART RIGHT HERE FOR EXAMPLE, I just hold down shift instead of using caps lock.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

I have a friend who thinks a GTX 480 has the same Specs as a GTX Titan XP (he knew what a titan was cause he claimed he "had one" and he also had a 480 and he said he "tested them" on Speedtest.net and said he got the same results...

:facepalm:

2 minutes ago, avia_tion said:

I have a friend who thinks a GTX 480 has the same Specs as a GTX Titan XP (he knew what a titan was cause he claimed he "had one" and he also had a 480 and he said he "tested them" on Speedtest.net and said he got the same results...

Oh gosh....

I mean in terms of power draw, Titan XP and 480 are pretty similar.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Oh gosh....

I mean in terms of power draw, Titan XP and 480 are pretty similar.

I'd say that's a bit unfair for the Titan XP :P. It probably uses less power lmao.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, avia_tion said:

Oh no... It's even worse when one of thise friends won't admit that they're wrong, even after you tell them the truth.

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Back in 6th grade (im now in 9th) I was classified as the most Tech-Savvy person in Grade 6. Everytime a person or the teacher needed help. They would come up to me and ask me. Now at first it might seem like a great experience but your wrong. I had people from other classes come up to me AND also come up to me when I was not here for a test and I needed to focus. One person (i'll call him Bill just for the sake of this arguement). He came up to me and asked me. Why does your laptop have LED Lights. And essentially he started acting like a smartass and saying how the "LED Lights" (AKA RGB Lights) were connected to your battery and every component and saying how it will damage your laptop making it last only for 2 years max. 

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2013 at 9:30 AM, Tr3vor said:

my aunt who is constantly complaining about her slow Pentium 4 computer, and when people tell her to buy a new one already, she says "no its fine."

>complains

>"no wait"