Georgia will tax you 200$ a year for owning an electric car.

Syntaxvgm

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/03/georgia-gas-ev-tax/

Not only did they pull their EV subsidy (not a bad thing, in my opinion), they now tax you more for owning an electric car, This is to recoup a loss in gas tax revenue from EV drivers. 

This is stupid.

Really, really stupid. 

I think between 1-2% of Georgia cars are electric, a large number as far as revenue goes. I remember reading that when they pulled the subsidy 

One argument I've seen is gas taxes are meant for road infrastructure, so this recoups that loss. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

seriously tired of laws that restrict the progress of technology and effeciency.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

They are all like: "Oh wait we did a good thing. Lets fuck it up!"

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

It's like taxing non-smokers because of the missed cigarette revenue

Or banning e-cigss that smokers use to kick smoking or at least switch to something, while not the greatest, much better than cigs...

oh wait that's happening. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Exactly. We should also encourage... hmm no, we should force people to start smoking and then we dont need to pay pensions because people will die sooner and also pharmacy will get $$, but also take lots of tax on cigs.

Illuminati, anyone?

But its not so bad, its just that they should put road tax that will go directly to roads, not just some taxes here and there, invent more taxes just to put most of the money into armed forces :D

I hate to play devil's advocate here, but that tax REALLY IS actually to help pay for roads.  The gas tax is actually a tax that is imposed on gas sales (which has not been increased for years, so no longer accounts for inflation), which goes to the National Highway Fund to repair and build highways.

That fund is almost bankrupt.  1-2% of all cars in Georgia are electric, that means 1-2% less tax from gasoline sales.

Yes, it sounds stupid, but it's actually to pay for roads.  Not to line someone's pockets.  There certainly is a more elegant solution, such as a tax at charging stations instead of a flat $200, since not everyone drives as much as other people.

The axing of the tax break is stupid, though.

Or banning e-cigss that smokers use to kick smoking or at least switch to something, while not the greatest, much better than cigs...

oh wait that's happening. 

Personally I think governments should subsidy any disintoxication program that allows smokers to quit

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

WTF, you own electric car and you save planet.

But you must pay 200$ for saving planet again?

But what if I do not want to save planet twice? :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

So some one realized that electric cars are worse for the environment than old petrol ones.

Took them long enough now let more follow and let this lie become public knowledge at last.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

WTF, you own electric car and you save planet.

But you must pay 200$ for saving planet again?

But what if I do not want to save planet twice? :D

What? lol

First, u say "get over here and get an electric car", then - "pff, u gonna pay for that u're saving the mother nature". Nice.

seriously tired of laws that restrict the progress of technology and effeciency.

Enjoy your dirt roads and make sure suspension is covered by your insurance because this 200$ is what's funding roads. The gas tax is a form of tax placed on one gallon of gasoline. The money from that tax goes to building and maintaining roads. If a car uses no taxable fuel how do you expect it to pay for the roads it drives on?

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

Seems reasonable, considering that I live there and the roads are bad enough as is. If you don't fork up for the gas that maintains the roads(I use maintain very very lightly) but you still drive your own vehicle on them then you should still pay.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Enjoy your dirt roads and make sure suspension is covered by your insurance because this 200$ is what's funding roads. The gas tax is a form of tax placed on one gallon of gasoline. The money from that tax goes to building and maintaining roads. If a car uses no taxable fuel how do you expect it to pay for the roads it drives on?

As someone from Columbus Metropolitan area in Georgia, the only roads the tax dollars pay for are repairs on new roads. Old roads are almost never worked on. Ever. They're more interested in widening shortcut roads that people take for work, which cuts into homeowner land.

Tell me how that's fair.

So some one realized that electric cars are worse for the environment than old petrol ones.

Took them long enough now let more follow and let this lie become public knowledge at last.

well as we move towards cleaner ways of generating electricity electric cars wont be worse for the environment. and in places like germany where there are lots of renewable energy plants electric cars are better 

Nice, come to the Russia - fuel is very expensive, roads are... ok, no roads.

As someone from Columbus Metropolitan area in Georgia, the only roads the tax dollars pay for are repairs on new roads. Old roads are almost never worked on. Ever. They're more interested in widening shortcut roads that people take for work, which cuts into homeowner land.

Tell me how that's fair.

Unfortunately, that is the local government's fault, and not applied equally to every area.  I know my city here regularly repaves worn residential roads and fills potholes after every winter.

Unfortunately, that is the local government's fault, and not applied equally to every area.  I know my city here regularly repaves worn residential roads and fills potholes after every winter.

Well I guess what I'm saying is, they need to do something about that instead of worrying about a small percentage of people who are driving full-on electric vehicles.

Way to go Georgia I'm sure you just gave our stupid Australian politicians the idea and now they'll follow suite.... We tend to adopt the very worst of US laws and policy pretty quickly. 

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

I don't really see how paying property taxes on a car is a surprise when everybody already pays property taxes on their cars.

The idea of it being to recoup lost revenue from gas taxes is pretty stupid, but I don't see how people are complaining about "new" property taxes when property taxes have existed on vehicles for a long time (or at least CT found it necessary to send me a decently large tax bill for my car this year).

I mean, it's preposterous to think that you would never be paying property taxes on your vehicle just because it happens to use a different kind of motor.

Or am I just completely misreading something here?

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

well as we move towards cleaner ways of generating electricity electric cars wont be worse for the environment. and in places like germany where there are lots of renewable energy plants electric cars are better 

Nope they are not, it is not even the power they use to move, it is the insane power and resource requirement in their production and future maintenance (replacement battery packs etc) that makes them far worse than keep on driving an old petrol car.

If you want to drive and be good to the environment, keep driving your current car it is by far the most environmentally friendly option you have.

Stop believing in the lies that you are being fed everyday by business and government alike.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

To be honest I saw this coming it was gonna happen sooner or later and it will happen all over soon enough....why you say because once the oil companies start losing money that's when shit changes. I hate to say it but until oil companies back electric cars gas powered vehicles are still gonna be king.

Georgia uses coal as one of it's main source for producing electricity, and that ends up poluting more than to drive normal cars. In areas where electricity comes from coal, electric cars are causing more harm than good.