Georgia will tax you 200$ a year for owning an electric car.

Syntaxvgm

Nope they are not, it is not even the power they use to move, it is the insane power and resource requirement in their production and future maintenance (replacement battery packs etc) that makes them far worse than keep on driving an old petrol car.

If you want to drive and be good to the environment, keep driving your current car it is by far the most environmentally friendly option you have.

Stop believing in the lies that you are being fed everyday by business and government alike.

Don't get your facts from topgear, that is bullshit, electric cars need about twice the energy to be made than regular cars, which is probably made back in the first year of use. How clean the source of electricity is in your region is the main factor that makes the electric car better or worse for the environment.

Nope they are not, it is not even the power they use to move, it is the insane power and resource requirement in their production and future maintenance (replacement battery packs etc) that makes them far worse than keep on driving an old petrol car.

If you want to drive and be good to the environment, keep driving your current car it is by far the most environmentally friendly option you have.

Stop believing in the lies that you are being fed everyday by business and government alike.

so regular cars have sulfuric acid batteries instead of lithium so sulfuric acid is better for the environment than lithium? what

Government's got to have that money, because the more they have, the more they can spend, so they can say they need more because next years budget has to be equal to or greater than this years budget.

yay government?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Government's got to have that money, because the more they have, the more they can spend, so they can say they need more because next years budget has to be equal to or greater than this years budget.

yay government?

The entirety of government isn't corrupt. There are people in the chain that, dare I say, actually care about the place they live in. Those guys do good things with the money.

I do see what you're saying though.

The entirety of government isn't corrupt. There are people in the chain that, dare I say, actually care about the place they live in. Those guys do good things with the money.

I do see what you're saying though.

Those people are few and far between. Most just want a job with good benefits, or power. The rest are what you described.

Don't get your facts from topgear, that is bullshit, electric cars need about twice the energy to be made than regular cars, which is probably made back in the first year of use. How clean the source of electricity is in your region is the main factor that makes the electric car better or worse for the environment.

Nope, quite a bit more and heck of a lot more precious metals and other questionable materials or origins. Beside this those battery packs have to replaced every so many charge cycles completely and than a very difficult and consumer recycle process has to start on the old ones to.

so regular cars have sulfuric acid batteries instead of lithium so sulfuric acid is better for the environment than lithium? what

You are talking about a tiny battery comparatively to the huge battery packs in an electric car and in the end neither are good for the environment.

O and lets not forget the overwhelming majority of power generated is still piss poor for the environment.

Electric cars make sense when they can come up with a solid environmentally friendly battery option and they sure are working on it, but till that day stick to your old petrol car.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

Nope, quite a bit more and heck of a lot more precious metals and other questionable materials or origins. Beside this those battery packs have to replaced every so many charge cycles completely and than a very difficult and consumer recycle process has to start on the old ones to.

You are talking about a tiny battery comparatively to the huge battery packs in an electric car and in the end neither are good for the environment.

O and lets not forget the overwhelming majority of power generated is still piss poor for the environment.

Electric cars make sense when they can come up with a solid environmentally friendly battery option and they sure are working on it, but till that day stick to your old petrol car.

brought to you by oil companies also dont forget that solar panels generate nuclear radiation and there is no evidence that smoking causes lung disease in fact some doctors smoke so it must be good for you

Those people are few and far between. Most just want a job with good benefits, or power. The rest are what you described.

Well compared to the asshats that get put on television and other media, yes that's true. Local government do have people that care though.

It's just a majority of the time the citizens look at whether or not they're a Democrat or Republican and vote according to that, rather than what that politician plans to do.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/03/georgia-gas-ev-tax/

Not only did they pull their EV subsidy (not a bad thing, in my opinion), they now tax you more for owning an electric car, This is to recoup a loss in gas tax revenue from EV drivers. 

This is stupid.

Really, really stupid. 

I think between 1-2% of Georgia cars are electric, a large number as far as revenue goes. I remember reading that when they pulled the subsidy 

One argument I've seen is gas taxes are meant for road infrastructure, so this recoups that loss. 

You realize they need to balance the budget right? So if a person chooses to do something that is out of the norm and it lowers their tax paid then sure make them pay. Better than having a deficit.

Well compared to the asshats that get put on television and other media, yes that's true. Local government do have people that care though.

It's just a majority of the time the citizens look at whether or not they're a Democrat or Republican and vote according to that, rather than what that politician plans to do.

I just wish the local governments would get off their asses. We need a convention of states, we need to start with removing every currently sitting member of congress, banning them from holding office ever again, or owning a business (or being in control of one).

Then start the ridiculously long process of undoing all the fucked up shit they've done over the years.

I just wish the local governments would get off their asses. We need a convention of states, we need to start with removing every currently sitting member of congress, banning them from holding office ever again, or owning a business (or being in control of one).

Then start the ridiculously long process of undoing all the fucked up shit they've done over the years.

You realize they need to balance the budget right? So if a person chooses to do something that is out of the norm and it lowers their tax paid then sure make them pay. Better than having a deficit.

You do realize that our government, state and local, don't actually balance budgets? they use baseline budgeting, which means what they spend this year, is the minimum budget for next year.

Basically, it's an ever increasing budget, it can't get smaller, ever.

if you live in a place like germany where a lot of the energy is from clean sources in a year the benefit to the environment will out weight the pollution from making the car. but if you are in a place where electricity is from coal power plants it will make things worse. so basically dont buy electric cars in the united states

A flat tax will make electric car owners feel like they are getting ripped off, but there isn't a much better way to do it. Charging more per kw/hr (add a road tax) at public charging stations would help, but the majority of energy would still be untaxed because people charge their vehicles at home.

People charging their cars at home is equivalent to a farmer using untaxed red-dyed diesel in his/her pickup truck they use to drive to the grocery store; that is a very costly offense. They dye the fuel so it is easy to catch people using it on public roads. They can't put red dye in electricity, so a flat tax is being implemented instead. Liquid propane and natural gas vehicles are also popular for fleets around here; similar taxation issues pop up just the same. Either a flat fee is introduced just like they are doing in GA for EVs, or it is made illegal to "fill up" using untaxed fuel. It is easier to enforce taxation by maintaining a yearly registration fee than it is to attempt to track and validate a vehicle's refueling records. This is especially true when the fuel is not easily identified as "taxed" or "non-taxed" such as electricity/LPG/natural gas.

Any new taxation method is going to leave someone feeling ripped off, but this is just an attempt to fill a gap that was created by the inability to enforce a road tax on electricity used to charge EVs. This isn't really an extra tax for electric vehicle owners, it is just a way to start collecting road tax they were not paying in the first place (by purchasing taxed fuel).

Bottom line is the roads and bridges in the US are in a dangerous state right right now. Road tax on fuel is not high enough as it is (there is a good reason petrol/diesel is 2-4x more expensive in other countries), and electric cars are not paying any such equivalent tax unless "extra" fees are introduced like they are doing in GA. Maybe they want to avoid having a bridge collapse with hundreds of vehicles on it like what happened in the twin cities back in '07 during rush hour: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-35W_Mississippi_River_bridge

I wish all of these taxes could be collected directly proportional to usage, but this is not practical with EVs. I do get a bit worked up when I think about the almost $200/year in registration costs (more than insurance!) I pay for two cars that are on the road less than 1000miles/year, but I get it.

IMO, car dealerships lobbying to not allow the direct sales of Teslas is an example of unfair rules again electric vehicles. A new registration fee to make up for previously uncollected road tax is not.

its all about money... when will people understand. People are greedy. (esp in a Coorperate and Government setting)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

WTF, you own electric car and you save planet.

Well, it's not quite as black and white as that (where does the electricity come from? Yep, petrol/nuclear plants), but still ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

???

Yeah because roads are free. /s

Electric cars do no less wear on roads than gas cars, why exactly should there not be a way for them to pay just like everyone else? 

IMHO this makes sense. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

???

Yeah because roads are free. /s

Electric cars do no less wear on roads than gas cars, why exactly should there not be a way for them to pay just like everyone else? 

IMHO this makes sense. 

Yea, I don't really see the butthurt here. 

Gas here (as I'm sure in many other places) has a local tax on top of the federal tax. Its a modern road tax, as they do funnel that back into road upkeep. Electric cars don't pay for gas, they don't pay into the tax. Electric cars usually don't have increased registration or title fees either. 

200 a year? 16.6 a month. The kind of person who can afford the range of 40k-120k on a electric car isn't going to cry a river at 200 a year. Until they figure out a 'better' way to fund roads, thats what we have to live with. 

But nah, I don't expect kids who don't drive much less pay proper taxes to understand that part. 

v.v why is everyone afraid of good change? are they afraid that if they accept electric cars as a thing that they are saying global climate change is a thing? or is it they just dont like Superior technology?

seriously tired of laws that restrict the progress of technology and effeciency.

In some states in the US and in some provinces in Canada it is LESS efficient to run an EV than a gas vehicle due to 1) cost of generating the electricity to recharge the vehicle and/or 2) it uses more fossil fuel to create that electricity. So for some areas a gas car is actually more efficient.

Or banning e-cigss that smokers use to kick smoking or at least switch to something, while not the greatest, much better than cigs...

oh wait that's happening. 

Yeah, but e sigs have other problems.

Alot of people (like at least 50%) in my high school use them

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Okay people, this is sign we have to fuck up the planet. Fart as much as you can, take dumps on the streets, piss on the walls,

throw your trash on the grass and fuck up the planet more.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

If you can afford the $30k+ it is to buy a new electric car, you can pay the $200 per year tax. Idk why everyone is going crazy over this. This obviously is a replacement for the gas tax which everyone pays already.

Some governments or states are a bit money hungry...

America, land of progress...

Best quote ever....

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7GHz --- RAM: Lenovo 1600MHz 16GB --- MOBO: Gigabyte Z97-G7 --- GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0+--- PSU: Corsair CX600 --- Case: Corsair Air 540 --- Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 --- OS: Windows 8.1 --- Monitor: 24" AOC G2460P + Dell 19" --- Mouse: Logitech MX Perfromance --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Brown) --- Audio: Sennheiser HD558

Don't buy a GTX 980, it's overpriced! Buy 2 GTX 970s or 2 R9 290s intstead (the R9 290s would even be cheaper)

This is beyond illegal, they can't tax you for not needing gas. Next they'll tax people for walking or riding bikes instead of using a car.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW