Microsoft clarifies "Windows 10 free for pirate". It's not!

GoodBytes

Microsoft spokesperson clarifies the previous statement that Windows 10 can be freely installed on pirated copies of Windows 7 and 8.

It is stating that while the upgrade process will work, it won't change the state of the license of the user.

Their full statement is:

The consumer free upgrade offer for Windows 10 applies to qualified new and existing devices running Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1. Some editions are excluded from the consumer free upgrade — including Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to other Windows 10 enterprise offerings.

"We have always been committed to ensuring that customers have the best Windows experience possible. With Windows 10, although non-Genuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license. Non-Genuine Windows is not published by Microsoft. It is not properly licensed, or supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner. If a device was considered non-genuine or mislicensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered non-genuine or mislicensed after the upgrade. According to industry experts, use of pirated software, including Non-Genuine Windows, results in a higher risk of malware, fraud (identity theft, credit card theft, etc), public exposure of your personal information, and a higher risk for poor performance or feature malfunctions."

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/upgrading-to-windows-10-on-pirated-versions-wont-get-you-a-valid-license

So there you go guys. This should be good news for the majority of people who bought Windows.

This means that the already ''hooked'' windows licence will just transfer over to Windows 10 and people won't have to get another ''hooked'' licence for windows 10 and it will just keep working or what?

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

lol people are so quick to assume

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

damn :|

disclaimer:None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I'm using enterprise licensing so its not a big deal for me, I'll probably switch over to a personal license by reinstalling my Windows 7 Ultimate and just upgrading that way. 

Couldn't one just install a fresh genuine copy of Windows 10?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Here's a key part not clarified yet: Non-genuine copies eventually self destruct right now and won't let users log in or use em. If the non-genuine on 10 will now mean no security or any kind of updates and no support but the os still being functional....I actually could be ok with that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm using enterprise licensing so its not a big deal for me, I'll probably switch over to a personal license by reinstalling my Windows 7 Ultimate and just upgrading that way.

How come?

How come?

When work pays for stuff, I feel inclined not to. 

I bet someone is going to be mad at Microsoft for not allowing them to pirate Windows 10.

You might joke, but I bet someone on this very forum is going to cry about not being able to pirate windows... 

I bet someone is going to be mad at Microsoft for not allowing them to pirate Windows 10.

Actually people will still be able to pirate Windows 10, just not with Microsoft's permission and such.

-------

Current Rig

-------

When work pays for stuff, I feel inclined not to.

Fair enough. :D haha

China must've been celebrating prior to this clarification announcement.

Now they might DDOS some services in a fit of rage.

Actual thats happening.

H5DEtdr.jpg
Ofc they won't give it for free to pirated copies. Lol.

I know this wasn't true, but damn, I hope they give me a free copy for being an insider.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

But what if you have genuine Windows, could you make a fresh Windows 10 install from USB? Don't want to update, I prefer clean install.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

The win8 key i bought long time ago was like 30$ it activates online but idk if its genuine(it should be if it checks with MS servers) if it doesnt work -> pirate.

But what if you have genuine Windows, could you make a fresh Windows 10 install from USB? Don't want to update, I prefer clean install.

There will be a way. Probably, to get the Windows 10 free upgrade, you need to put your product key in some Microsoft website page, and then it will validate it and give you the ISO download.

Or you'll download a setup.exe, which will check your license of Windows installed (this is how Windows 8 release promotion worked), and then hive you option to burn a disk (I recommend doing that, so that you have a good backup. Once done, either use the the disk to put it on USB, or kill the setup, and restart it and pick USB), and install.

Assuming nothing changed in Windows 10, since Windows 7, there is a registry change that you can do once you install Windows Upgrade license as a clean install to make it activate fine (yes it is legal, it was implement in Windows 7 for people changing their drive). It was not possible to do this before.

Honestly I don't think they would care about it. They just say these reports to not be taken by joke, but Nadella wants all the pirates in for win10, even if he has to 'pardon' them for the piracy being committed. I'm pretty sure that a non-genuine copy will work with Windows 10, and the latter won't complain or even check it's genuine or not, at least on the first row of updates.

Win10 is a very interesting concept, as major part of the testing part is being done by users, not the company. However, what would be the problem with this? An immature product at launch. The part where Nadella is a smart and diabolic man, is that instead of 'forcing' the latest version of windows upon people's throats (like Vista, 7 and 8 was forced), he is making the consumer pick his own poison, likely to be the most early adopted MS OS. Having all these people (including pirates, current 7 and 8 users that will upgrade for free on launch, as it's very likely to be just an offer for the first couple of months), is going to speed up drastically the maturing process of the platform, having by the end of the year a pretty compelling OS, that people won't hate or complain about. Brilliant.

I know this wasn't true, but damn, I hope they give me a free copy for being an insider.

Is free for everyone with a valid Win7 or Win8/8.1 within the 1st year of launch. I joined insider too.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Is free for everyone with a valid Win7 or Win8/8.1 within the 1st year of launch. I joined insider too.

Duh. I already know that, I said I just wish I would get a free copy because I joined insider.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Couldn't one just install a fresh genuine copy of Windows 10?

They would still need valid licensing to do so. You will likely have an option to type your current Windows 7 or 8.1 key into a microsoft webpage that will then verify it and spit out a Windows 10 key.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

"According to industry experts, use of pirated software, including Non-Genuine Windows, results in a higher risk of malware, fraud (identity theft, credit card theft, etc), public exposure of your personal information, and a higher risk for poor performance or feature malfunctions."

I have Windows 8.1 Pro and I can guarantee you that this is bs

I've never had a single hiccup or a virus in the year and a half I've been using my pc.

CPU: AMD FX-6350@4.2Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston Fury Black + 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance HDD: WD Green 1Tb SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 60Gb CASE: DeepCool Tesseract SW

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fJLRWZ

"According to industry experts, use of pirated software, including Non-Genuine Windows, results in a higher risk of malware, fraud (identity theft, credit card theft, etc), public exposure of your personal information, and a higher risk for poor performance or feature malfunctions."

I've never had a single hiccup or a virus in the year and a half I've been using my pc.

Yea but by denying support and patches they can claim all that and for average users that do not know not to support Nigerian Princes, it'd be true.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well...around 80% of people in Romania use pirated versions of Windows anyway so... (with the exception of businesses)

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Yea but by denying support and patches they can claim all that and for average users that do not know not to support Nigerian Princes, it'd be true.

Actually it is more dangerous. When you download a Windows ISO off the internet you have no idea what tampering has been done to it.

Anyone can configure a Windows install however they see fit (changing registry settings to reduce security, changing obscure firewall settings, removing/disabling software and/or security settings. Bundling in obscure and undetectable software, etc. and then create their own bootable/installable ISO from it using a Microsoft tool called ImageX. Then they upload that ISO onto torrent sites and Blow Joe looking for free Windows downloads it, installs it, and doesn't know that its any different from the legit ISO (because everything looks and feels the same in every sense, even though its been tampered with to hell and back.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit