Gamespot - "Can You Tell The Difference Between PS4, XONE and PC?"

shermantanker

Please read this before clicking on the video, or dismissing it. Okay, so just finished watching this test that game-spot did with there staff. One of their editors ran a blind test on 6 writers to see if they could tell the difference between a few recent games on the PC, XBOX, and PS4. He hooked up 3 systems to 144hz 1080p (yes no 4k, because that would be too easy). ASUS monitors, used an adapter for all 3 to run DS4s, and used tape to block the control prompts :lol:. The pc's specs were good, he said a 3.4Ghz i5 and a reference 780ti. As far as games the choices were not that great, but they are all recent so i'm guessing that's why. First up is Farcry 4, what ever Call of Duty just came out, and...Unity...yeah I know :rolleyes: . I would have personally done Farcry 4, Battlefield 4, and maybe black flag or something. Farcry was an okay choice, battlefield 4 runs very well and would really show the differences much better then COD, and black flag is well...beautiful. Sadly he didn't say anything about what the graphics settings were at... I recommend that you watch it all the way through, because he throws in big curve ball the the end that is like...wait what?!?! Now feel free to watch...then read the rest below.

VIDEO

Now that you have seen this...Wow I was pretty surprised by the results. I mean really the resolution and FPS should have been enough, but damn they are reporters and should be able to tell the difference at least a bit. Even if you have never played on a maxed out PC it's blatant. your thoughts?

P.S. if this should be in the general section, please move it.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

I can't watch the video right now, but IGN has been known to tweak settings to make Xbox look better....so it wouldn't surprise me here. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I can't watch the video right now, but IGN has been known to tweak settings to make Xbox look better....so it wouldn't surprise me here. 

except this isn't IGN?

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

except this isn't IGN?

My point is, these sources have been proven to lie -- i.e. they could be lying here. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

They tested a few people.

Two people(the only two) who didn't get it 100% failed because they could not see difference between 30 and 60fps.

LOL

Last one they all messed up because it's Assassin's Greed: Unity, you know the one that Ubisoft tried to make every platform look same on.

As expected from gamespot; heavily flawed "test."

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Part of it isn't going in blindly. 

If I went into it blindly, sure, I would be more focused on the gameplay than the smaller details on graphics. 

Another aprt of it is age. That xbox one will look that good for...6-10 years. PC will bypass the limits shortly and you will be stuck. 

Another part is the game. Some developers do a much better job at making multi platform games. Some, dont even utilize a PC as much as they can. 

And finally.... it IS more than just graphics. Just graphics alone? Yes, a Both a Honda Accord and a BMW move forwards and backwards and stop. But that doesn't make them comparable.....

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

That xbox one will look that good for...6-10 years. PC will bypass the limits shortly and you will be stuck. 

I don't think Xbox one can look "that good" for 6-10 years.  After 2-3 years; it's going to be called "that bad."

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

"Yea with the labels you can definitely see the 30 fps to 144 fps difference, but can't see it without the labels"

It also has a big difference depending on what you are accustomed to.

And they never revealed the PC settings and the Unity results with the three different setups.

System: Thinkpad T460

The thing is, that frame rate and FOV kill a game for me. I can't play a game that is constantly dropping frames, or that is below 90-100 FOV (It makes me sick)

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

With the life expectancy of the new consoles, comparing them right now against the PC I feel is not really fair. The game devs might and that is a huge might with a giant grain of salt, reach the same details as a pc, but later in the consoles lives, maybe a year or so, it will be more distinguishable to tell the pc out of the bunch. That and the way that some games devs are treating the platform with optimizations for games on consoles but not on pcs. Not mentioning any names.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

the REAL reasons PC is a better choice;

mods. 

better controls. 

its a COMPUTER. (kiss that 1500 dollar macbook goodbye, this does everything that it can and more) 

its a GAMING MACHINE (kiss the other 300 dollar appliance goodbye, it does literally everything that it can) 

you cant be a console enthusiast. (except nintendo...... nintendo master race. :D

those features alone. 

no further discussion.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

The thing is, that frame rate and FOV kill a game for me. I can't play a game that is constantly dropping frames, or that is below 90-100 FOV (It makes me sick)

most humans have around a 120+ FOV (in the tests my youth pastor did and using some wikiipedia)

i need quake style FOV in games to make me happy x'D

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

You just have to look at the framerate and you can immediately tell the difference between PC and consoles.

I like how one guy in the Gamespot comments said that they should lock the PC framerate to 30 lol.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Expected results. Visible difference between new consoles and PC is small, law of diminishing returns.... new consoles look good.

Side by side you can notice the difference but blind tests are difficult.

Also for us when we are playing with a precision mouse and on the desktop with monitors close to our face we are a bit more sensitive to framerate and maybe even small graphical details.

With a controller and from the couch, or this test setup it really doesn't matter as much.

Did anyone watch the three vids at the end? I think PC was the first. The second two just didn't look as clean. But then, as pointed out above, they could have altered the frame rates, etc. So I don't know

I know in a split second, BF4 on Xbone has virtually no antialiasing so I notice it right away

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

I just played bf4 on my old gaming laptop today on a TV. I run it on minimum settings at 1080p. I felt the detail, framerate, and experience was still much better than on console. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

wanted to do the test but its pointless with the compression esp when you are not running matching scene and the DL link is broken

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

They will all look the same because most devs build games for lowest denominator lowest hardware ie consoles so they are basically all going to look the same....then the crappy editors/authors of these game websites indirectly collude by trying to compare games on consoles and pc, which is pointless( in terms of graphical fidelity) in most cases because they are built to look the same on all platforms.

The devs make them all look same so that console owners think they are getting the latest and greatest pc like quality games and the game website video editors make these videos to convince people of the same thing. Also the game websites are in the business of selling games because if no one buys console games they dont have a job!!

Well, it's like asking for the difference between 50 shades of black.
Can you tell the difference?

Meh.

Dose it matter?

Yeah, when PC is absolutely white.