Seagate creates World's Thinnest Portable Hard Drive at only 7mm thick

CyberneticTitan

Seven_Sketch.0.0.jpg

At just 7-mm thick, Seagate calls its new Seven the slimmest 500GB USB 3.0 hard disk drive available. That’s thinner than an iPhone 6 Plus only with physical platters spinning at incredible speed inside of an all-steel chassis that hints at the mechanics within. The HDD is being launched to celebrate the 35th anniversay of Seagate introducing the world's first mass produced 5.25-inch hard disk for PCs.

Other than Seagate telling us it’s based upon the 5-mm Angsana drive, the company isn’t giving us much in the way of detail. But that’s ok, this disk isn’t about performance, it’s a message to the world that says, WE ARE SEAGATE now step aside, son. Look for the Seagate Seven to be widely available starting mid- to late-January for $99.99.

Original article: http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/4/7483635/seagate-seven-worlds-thinnest-500gb-hard-disk

I think it's a little too expensive for the money. You can get four times the storage for a larger drive. 2.5inch drive + an enclosure aren't exactly bulky either. However I have to give props to the design. Looks great imo.

This is super cool!

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

For once, a harddrive looks amazing.

LTT CSGO SERVER! IP 8.12.22.45!~  Connect by connecting on csgo console

Use console command "connect"   --->  connect 8.12.22.45

wow it's beautiful

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Looks real slick, I like it.

I don't really care about size though.

I'd prefer something like a 1tb.

At 500gb, I'd still rather carry around 2 smaller flash drives.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'd prefer something like a 1tb.

At 500gb, I'd still rather carry around 2 smaller flash drives.

I'm looking for a 4TB portable HDD that requires no external powers! :P lol in this SLIM! :P lol more!

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Will it bend in your pocket too?

The picture shows what looks like the drive bending. So yes, it will bend in your pocket, in your computer that is a completely different story. I would say possibly no. 

I never thought I'd say a hard drive looked good.

Also, I don't get the obsessive need to get smaller and smaller.

zoolander-phone.jpg

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

It's awesome! But I think we both know it's gonna fail in like, less than a month

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

People say HDD don't look good then put them in a damn enclosure.  

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I don't get it. The only point of HDDs nowadays is that they're cheap.

It's like making a luxury freight train.

Also, the trend of calling anything with shiny metal surfaces 'beautiful' is getting silly.

Pointless, carry round a portable hard drive thickness has never been an issue, its not like a phone where reduced weight and thickness benefit holding it.

Why? I see no point in this.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

When it comes to hard drives, manufacturers should never sacrifice capacity for design. I'm sure that the drive could be 1TB at the same cost if it was 9.5mm.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

rpm?

Probably 5400 RPM. It'll probably say it in the article.

OT: Looks good but I see no need for it. It's just a proof of concept if you ask me. 

However, there's 3 reasons I wont even consider this.

1. Seagate. Don't act like you haven't heard the horror stories. 

2. You can have a slightly bulkier external HDD with 400% more storage space for the same price (or even less).

3. I'd never carry a hard drive around. I'd be paranoid about it breaking, it only takes one good impact to destroy the drive. While that drive looks good I guarantee that enclosure does very little in terms of protection. If I want portable storage then I would get a USB stick or I would put up with half the space and buy an SSD and an enclosure.

For $50 more one can find discounted (or second hand) 500GB SSD with SandForce controller, and for a few bucks more - an external USB-to-SATA adapter and there you have much more reliable and fast solution.

1. Seagate. Don't act like you haven't heard the horror stories. 

2. You can have a slightly bulkier external HDD with 400% more storage space for the same price (or even less).

3. I'd never carry a hard drive around. I'd be paranoid about it breaking, it only takes one good impact to destroy the drive. While that drive looks good I guarantee that enclosure does very little in terms of protection. If I want portable storage then I would get a USB stick or I would put up with half the space and buy an SSD and an enclosure.

1. There are just as many horror stories from the rest of the manufactures... None are really any better than any others when you stand back and look at it. I'm sure you can find one test where Seagate is way worse than the rest... and another where WD is the worst, so on and so forth.

2. People pay for design and style, I think its dumb personally, but its always going to be that way. Its obviously not marketed towards tech enthusiasts. 

3. I don't think people give hard drives the credit they deserve. For how high of tolerances needed to work, it is amazing the abuse they will put up with. While spinning I could see one hard impact being able to break the drive... but when it is off it is MUCH less likely. I have my original 80GB external drive that I paid around $150 for in 2006 IIRC. It has been in my "tech bag" ever since and works to this day (the USB adapting part broke so I put it in a new enclosure), I still use it occasionally. I used to work on cellular towers, and on several occasions we had to take tracked Yamaha Rhinos to the top of mountains to get downed sites back up, the drive would nearly break my back but the good old hard drive never quit. I always took it with in case when I got to the top the hard drive in my laptop would be broken I would be able to restore and still do the work rather than waste 4 hours going down and back up. I've been the "computer guy" for that company for 9 years now, 15 guys have their laptops mounted to a stand in the trucks and drive 100k miles a year with 10k miles or so driving rough mountain roads. In 9 years I've replaced three hard drives (that I can remember atm, may have been a few more), and one of them was from a 6 foot drop onto rocks while the laptop was running.