Asus knocked off the list of top 5 PC manufacturers in the world, by Apple

Aniallation

Article: http://games.on.net/2014/10/apple-now-in-the-top-5-pc-manufacturers-in-the-world/

Original source: http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS25187214

First NWS lost and now this... RIP my hopes and dreams

ASUS will be crying itself to sleep tonight at the news that Apple has taken its place as the fifth-largest PC manufacturer in the world.

Market research firm IDC has released its latest Worldwide Quarterly PC Tracker, which shows that Apple currently enjoys a 6.3% market share for third quarter, 2014. Acer, Dell, and HP sit atop Apple, with Lenovo taking out the top spot with a 20% market share for the same period.

The report seems quite impressed with Apple of late, “The company’s steady growth, along with recent price cuts and improved demand in mature markets, has helped it to consistently outgrow the market.”

Apple has always been in the top 5 in the US market, but has struggled to reach that level of sales in the global market thanks to lower-cost Windows-based devices, according to the report.

Lenovo held a comfortable lead as the top PC supplier, hitting another record volume of 15.7 million units. The vendor managed to regain growth in Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) as well as maintain its strong pace of expansion and growth in EMEA.

HP shipped 14.7 million units and remained in the number 2 position with growth surpassing 5%. EMEA and mature markets continued to be the vendor's primary sources of growth, as were some last-minute public sector notebook shipments.

Dell shipped over 10 million units, growing 9.7% on the year, much of it based on a strong performance in notebooks in the U.S. and Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan)

Acer grew over 11%, in part due to low volume a year ago but also from the success of its Chromebooks and entry-level notebooks

Apple moved into the number 5 position on a worldwide basis, slightly overtaking ASUS. The company's steady growth, along with recent price cuts and improved demand in mature markets, has helped it to consistently outgrow the market

"Rawr XD"

but asus is asus. why apple why  :(

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

can you please set this up so that those of us with the night theme can read?

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

ive lost hope in the pc until half-life 3

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Yay!

If this article talks about ASUS' pre-built PC then I'm fine with that. Besides, custom built PCs are constantly growing and ASUS can recover through the currently growing market. :)

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Apple has better sales because of fanboyism and hype. I'd buy asus crap over apple even if you had a gun to my head.

(irony realized)

A bit harsh, also self-perpetuating the fanboyism that you're speaking of.

fanboyism and hype

This is all apple is. Marketing lies and bent phones.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Lenovo - A respectable brand.

HP - Cheap crap until you get to corporate machines.

Dell - The bog standard PC bought by schools and business.

Acer - Absolutely disgusting cheap crap that only gets bought off price alone.

Apple - Good machines, bad pricing. Downside to using mobile parts and server.

Asus - Nice parts, but would never buy a prebuilt regardless of who it's from unless notebook or Apple. :P

Is this counting fully-built PCs shipped, or components shipped?

we build PCs though, we don't 'buy' PCs..

SPAAAAAACE!!!

Is this counting fully-built PCs shipped, or components shipped?

we build PCs though, we don't 'buy' PCs..

this does not include component purchases

Acer - Absolutely disgusting cheap crap that only gets bought off price alone.

Sorry? I have a Macbook but if were to get any other laptop/ultrabook, the Aspire S7 would be in my Top 3 (along with the Yoga 2 (now 3) and Vaio 13) . You might not have seen all the all the rave reviews about it. One of the few cons about the laptop is that it is more expensive than some of the other competing brands (completely the opposite of what you wrote)

Here are some links: http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/20/4636510/acer-aspire-s7-review-2013

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/acer-aspire-s7-1094349/review

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/13/acer-aspire-s7-392-review/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2461685,00.asp

ec1d34743c07f140f5a6ffa7c1ee69ec.jpg

Also their Chromebook, the c720/p are one of if not the best chromebooks out there

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Sorry? I have a Macbook but if were to get any other laptop/ultrabook, the Aspire S7 would be in my Top 3 (along with the Yoga 2 (now 3) and Vaio 13) . You might not have seen all the all the rave reviews about it. One of the few cons about the laptop is that it is more expensive than some of the other competing brands (completely the opposite of what you wrote)

Here are some links: http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/20/4636510/acer-aspire-s7-review-2013

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/acer-aspire-s7-1094349/review

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/13/acer-aspire-s7-392-review/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2461685,00.asp

ec1d34743c07f140f5a6ffa7c1ee69ec.jpg

Also their Chromebook, the c720/p are one of if not the best chromebooks out there

Verge is not a credible source and the worst machines I've used are Acer and if you check online, there are a lot of consumers not pleased with the brands lack of quality, either. One good product from them does not make up for the rest of their line-up/reputation. If a company cares about their public perception, /all/ of their products would be good or at least strive for it. Acer is bottom of the barrel as a company over all. It's why you'd never see a 200-400 dollar laptop from Apple. 

This is all apple is. Marketing lies and bent phones.

Not all. I wont deny they make good products, just not worth the money for the compatability and closed ecosystem

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

this does not include component purchases

this basically means I should dismiss these statistics because they mean nothing to me then.

What about all the motherboards Asus sold compared to other companies? this would be more relevant. to me anyway.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

Verge is not a credible source and the worst machines I've used are Acer and if you check online, there are a lot of consumers not pleased with the brands lack of quality, either. One good product from them does not make up for the rest of their line-up/reputation. If a company cares about their public perception, /all/ of their products would be good or at least strive for it. Acer is bottom of the barrel as a company over all. It's why you'd never see a 200-400 dollar laptop from Apple. 

There are a ton of other positive reviews on it other than the Verge. I haven't read any reviews by people who purchased it, but I will be sure to look into that. I did not know that they were problems with it. I assumed after all the online reviews and the fact that Linus gave it his first ever Editor's Choice Award (I think) made the laptop reputable enough. As for the brand, there are a few things that I feel Acer does well (although that number may be very small). Their Chromebook is exceptional. I bough myself the touchscreen version as a little tinkering toy and I love it. It has been very good to me and Acer has been really successful with (as well as Asus, Toshiba, HP, and others). Also, a buddy of mine has two Acer H236HL ips monitors that he seems very happy with. He's even going to buy himself a third one. Their 4k G-sync monitor looks promising as well. Maybe my experience with Acer has been better than others', or maybe the products I choose from them happen to be the better ones, but I don't feel that they are a "bottom of the barrel" company. 

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

People are surprised by this for what reason exactly? You can say what you want, but the only other pc i have seen that competes with apple's macbook in terms of build quality and fee is the razer blade. They do make good computers. do you get the best performance per dollar from apple? no, but that does not mean they dont make a good product.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

People are surprised by this for what reason exactly? You can say what you want, but the only other pc i have seen that competes with apple's macbook in terms of build quality and fee is the razer blade. They do make good computers. do you get the best performance per dollar from apple? no, but that does not mean they dont make a good product.

Not only that, but people seem to forget you get a new OS every year for 3-4 years without paying extra for it. That extra money that makes people say "overpriced" is (part of) what pays for these OS developer's work for the next 3-4 years.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I am surprised that Acer is 4th... pretty sure I've seen more Macbooks than Acer laptops back in university :S

Eh i don't care. Popularity doesn't correlate with the products actually being any good. For instance, lenovo sells cheap laptops because they are most definitely cutting corners in a lot of places. Their wifi cards come to mind -- they're terrible -- and you can't replace them yourself because of their BIOS whitelist bullcrap. I hate lenovo..

Praise Duarte!