Heaven Society - Week 10 (Cowboy Bebop & Can't Be a Hero)

JLCitadel

vfAXr6z.png

This Weeks Anime!

Cowboy Bebop & Can't Be A Hero

19644.jpg54389.jpg

Synopsis'

Cowboy Bebop

Enter a world in the distant future, where Bounty Hunters roam the solar system. Spike and Jet, bounty hunting partners, set out on journeys in an ever struggling effort to win bounty rewards to survive. While traveling, they meet up with other very interesting people. Could Faye, the beautiful and ridiculously poor gambler, Edward, the computer genius, and Ein, the engineered dog be a good addition to the group?

"I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job" 

The story revolves around Raul, a boy who did not become a Hero, since the demon lord was already defeated just before his Hero exams. His dreams dashed, Raul spends his days working at a magic shop in the capital. One day, a part-time job seeker appears at the shop with an amazing résumé:
Name: Fino
Previous Occupation: Demon Lord Heir
Motive: Because my father was defeated

My Opinion
Cowboy Bebop, called Classic by many, is my pick of the two for this week. After watching 'Can't be a Hero' I decided to have both picks this week because of the polar voting we had. They're very different, and they both received their fair share of votes. I've already watched about half of both shows, so I can validate the differences. Though they do have some similarities.

To Kick Off Discussion
How do you feel about Action/Scifi Anime? How about Slice of Life? Which one do you lean more toward? & Why? I personally lean more toward Action because it's more appealing to me then watching simple day to day stuff. Though I've learned recently from Fred that Slice of Life is a much broader category then I originally thought so it isn't fair for me to say I dislike them all. They're funny and cute but not necessarily my go-to when picking an anime to watch. Did you enjoy having two very different options this week to compare? I think we will do this once every couple of weeks to change things up and to offer something a bit refreshing.

Cowboy Bebop

Can't be a Hero

Member Tags
Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of the following names:

@ was the winner!

If your name is not listed here, that's because you did not post within the polling thread in the past 48 hours.
Or
You were not listed as a member of the club when the polling took place.

The two newest members
Typho
&
TheGFXNovie
Both were added to the club during this weeks polling, both posted, therefore they were entered into the drawing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cowboy Bebop was one of the first anime I ever watched, and still one of the best. It's interesting that you compare it to a slice-of-life show (which I haven't watched yet), because one of Bebop's greatest strengths is the character interaction during the down time. Slice-of-life lives doesn't usually have a plot to rely on, so it lives and dies by its characters. Good characters make for a good show. Deep characters make for a great show. Falling back on archetypes and cliches makes for an unwatchable pile of shit - see K-On! for my personal punching bag.

It might also be worth doing a rundown of the other 90's space westerns - Outlaw Star and Trigun.

You're and your are not the same. Neither are their, there, and they're. Defiantly and Definitely are definitely not the same. Definately and Rediculous are not words, and you should feel bad for misspelling them. If English is your first language, you don't have a learning disorder, and you get any of these wrong, you are making the entire forum slightly dumber by doing so. Please take the extra three seconds to type properly, and have a nice day.

Out of the following names:

@ was the winner!

If your name is not listed here, that's because you did not post within the polling thread in the past 48 hours.
Or
You were not listed as a member of the club when the polling took place.

The two newest members
Typho
&
TheGFXNovie
Both were added to the club during this weeks polling, both posted, therefore they were entered into the drawing.

Yui-Hirasawa-wk.gif?v0

YAY! (: 

Also congrats to @ @Charger & @Jaybird for being promoted to Member from recruit.

Trigun

All my yes. 

Cowboy Bebop and Trigun were great. They fed my love of Sci-Fi as a child regarding the future and space. I consider them anime classics. At least for me & the 90's.

My avatar should say enough. 

photo-2414.gif?_r=1403214177

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Congrats @ spend Freds money well ;) ^____^

Luclocke Q: How do you feel about Action/Scifi Anime? How about Slice of Life? Which one do you lean more toward? & Why? 

I usually prefer Action/SciFi anime but having watched a large amount of it recently I like to tone it down and relax.

By watching the occasional show like hyouka which always feel like a breath of fresh air.

I'll most likely be watching can't be a hero but i'll dip into a few episodes of cowboy bebop.

Given the amount of comments about fan service I think I'll need a break from can't be a hero anyway.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

How do you feel about Action/Scifi Anime? How about Slice of Life? Which one do you lean more toward? & Why? 

I usually prefer Action/SciFi anime but having watch a large amount of it recently I like to tone it down and relax.

The occasional show like hyouka which always feel like a breath of fresh air.

I'll most likely be watching can't be a hero but i'll dip into a few episodes of cowboy bebop.

Given the amount of comments about fan service I think I'll need a break from can't be a hero anyway.

Oh, I will (:

Hmm, it sort of depends. I've seen some very good slice of life anime, and at the same time I've seen some very good scifi anime. I find that both genres tend to be very similar (as in, the qanime within each genre don't differ much). There's always exceptions though. 

Also congrats to @ @Charger & @Jaybird for being promoted to Member from recruit.

this is like the easiest membership ever! woohoo!

WooHooHomer.jpg

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Oh, I will (:

Hmm, it sort of depends. I've seen some very good slice of life anime, and at the same time I've seen some very good scifi anime. I find that both genres tend to be very similar (as in, the qanime within each genre don't differ much). There's always exceptions though. 

I'd agree with your comment on both genres being similar.

I mean I love my itano circus' but when the whole anime feels over the top its enjoyable to take a step back and enjoy something where the only explosion you have is someone forgot to turn the stove off and their food got burnt :P.

Although as I type this and think of thinks like Aoi Hana and they kind've have their own little itano circus just using flowers :P

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Cowboy bebop holds a spot in my all time top ten. Stuck somewhere between Clannad and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Given those two titles have a lot of feels and cowboy bebop not so much; space is awesome and this title encompass what made anime so great back in the 90's. Also, some of the things Ed says are hilarious, even the subtle innuendos.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Congrats @ on winning!

That said, I'll try to watch the rest of can't be a hero, no guaranty though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

-snip-

I haven't seen those two, but I feel like Cowboy Bebop had feels. Not Clannad level feels (I've been spoiled already.), but feels regardless. Everything is relative though.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

So wait I didn't post in the polling thread... You sure?

I haven't seen those two, but I feel like Cowboy Bebop had feels. Not Clannad level feels (I've been spoiled already.), but feels regardless. Everything is relative though.

Its different kind of feels man. No need for moe in bebop.

tumblr_inline_mvb1ardRSn1rx8jv6.gif

I'm sure most of you have seen bebop. But if you haven't, watch the dub. It really shines. Much better than the japanese version. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I seem to recall you posting in it but maybe I'm just crazy...

Q:How do you feel about Action/Scifi Anime? How about Slice of Life? Which one do you lean more toward? & Why?

This is a pretty tough one, because I like anime which has both of the genres Action and Slice of life.

In my opinion I think that this is a pretty good "combination" of genres, because the action part of the anime supplements the happy and joyful "school life".

I think it's kinda exciting that something unexpected happens in the middle of the class. (for example)

Honestly I prefer action over the slice of life, because for example I find the "reasons" to fight for something fascinating.(To protect the friends/family, to be the "best" in something etc.)

+  various of other reasons.

Personally I don't prefer 90's anime(there may be some exceptions), and it's not just because of the "art". Although for me it serves in an important role to the story telling of the anime.

(I like to draw manga/anime characters and one of my favorite school subject is art)

And I am really sorry for the Scifi/Space fans out there, but I'm not too into it. But I have seen some very good Scifi animes out there!

To tell the truth both of these aren't too ideal anime for me, but I find them pretty appealing and interesting.

(I have read some manga about the Cowboy Bebop and I have seen around 4 episodes of the ......Can't be a hero anime)

So in conclusion I would continue watching the ....Can't be a hero, because I really like "fantasy" themes in the anime(super powers, "supernatural" etc,)

and heroes of course!

"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many" - Hachiman Hikigaya

You totally did post.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/177133-heaven-society-week-10-poll-surprise/?p=2376754

Well before the 48 hours were up, on the very first page as well.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

YAY! (: 

Congratz on winning! 

I'll be PMing you shortly. 

ak9gHFY.png

My poor wallet.... Luclocke is gonna have to take a bite out of his too~! Hmph

o.0 You weren't include in the drawing? This is blasphemy~! I'll talk to Luclocke and check this over. 

I am a honest merchant after all~

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

o.0 You weren't include in the drawing? This is blasphemy~! I'll talk to Luclocke and check this over. 

I am a honest merchant after all~

I tend to assume he was part of it and just left out to fuck with him, I base this on the fact that i was in it after saying a few times i didn't even want to be part of the drawing and being told i wouldn't be.

I tend to assume he was part of it and just left out to fuck with him, I base this on the fact that i was in it after saying a few times i didn't even want to be part of the drawing and being told i wouldn't be.

Well that's not a impossibility with the number of times luclocke has trolled me.... -.-

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I really enjoyed "I couldn't become a hero so I reluctantly decided to get a job". It doesn't try to be something deep or interesting but instead it is silly and enjoyable although that OP gives a pretty good idea what your in for

so many ass shots and that boob jiggle...this show is shameless

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

I seem to recall you posting in it but maybe I'm just crazy...

Hmm that would make two of us crazy I guess.

You totally did post.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/177133-heaven-society-week-10-poll-surprise/?p=2376754

Well before the 48 hours were up, on the very first page as well.

Lol you didn't have to post a link and stuff its nothing too big.

I really enjoyed "I couldn't become a hero so I reluctantly decided to get a job". It doesn't try to be something deep or interesting but instead it is silly and enjoyable although that OP gives a pretty good idea what your in for

so many ass shots and that boob jiggle...this show is shameless

Yupppp!

Hmm that would make two of us crazy I guess.

Lol you didn't have to post a link and stuff its nothing too big.

It's a CONSPIRACY~!