EU ban on non-removable laptop and smartphone(?) batteries

jboman1980

Summary

EU will ban non-removable laptop batteries. Takes effect in 2027.

image.png.6ef2853572e9ed2398a38b63c5091b47.png 

The European Parliament approved a directive in which portable batteries in appliances placed on the European Union market must be designed so that end-users can easily remove and replace them. 

My thoughts

The obvious: what will Apple do? 😄

Sources

https://www.newsendip.com/laptop-and-smartphone-batteries-sold-in-the-e-u-will-need-to-be-easily-removable-by-users/

1 minute ago, jboman1980 said:

My thoughts

Inb4 Apple makes the battery removable though still under the bottom cover of the chassis and then makes the bottom cover harder to open with more screws or more obscure screws.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Topic headline edited (+smartphones)

Not sure if I got this straight, but could be huge

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Inb4 Apple makes the battery removable though still under the bottom cover of the chassis and then makes the bottom cover harder to open with more screws or more obscure screws.

They'll make "official Apple Batteries"

In this case "official" means price x4 😄

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

8 minutes ago, jboman1980 said:

must be designed so that end-users can easily remove and replace them. 

Easily
Remove
By end-users

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

They'll make "official Apple Batteries"

In this case "official" means price x4 😄

Inb4 all the batteries for iPhones get MFI chips and need to be MFI certified to work on IOS and Apple spins up Made For Mac as a programme and requires a MFI type chip in Mac batteries to work.

Would not surprise me in the least.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, jboman1980 said:

Topic headline edited (+smartphones)

Not sure if I got this straight, but could be huge

Does it also cover tablets?

Just now, jboman1980 said:

Easily
Remove
End-users

Is there a deeper explanation of this anywhere yet?

Does this also mean making the batteries replaceable and not just removeable? As in look at what apple is doing where it is not user replacable without their expensive proprietary stuff.

Inb4 all the batteries for iPhones get MFI chips and need to be MFI certified to work on IOS and Apple spins up Made For Mac as a programme and requires a MFI type chip in Mac batteries to work.

Would not surprise me in the least.

Not sure if sarcasm or if you are just 5 ish years behind :p.

Does it also cover tablets?

Often these laws see tablets as smartphone in their texts sometimes as portable computing devices (aka laptops in the law speech). Which is strange but it gets em included

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Not sure if sarcasm or if you are just 5 ish years behind :p.

Not sarcasm. Current iPhone batteries don't have MFI chips in them. I'm not aware of ways Apple forces use of their batteries at the moment but I don't follow iPhones that closely.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Often these laws see tablets as smartphone in their texts sometimes as portable computing devices (aka laptops in the law speech). Which is strange but it gets em included

Ah, alright.

17 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'll take 100000 screws over a glue though

10 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not sarcasm. Current iPhone batteries don't have MFI chips in them. I'm not aware of ways Apple forces use of their batteries at the moment but I don't follow iPhones that closely.

They do.

if you do NOT have the exact battery the iphone came with in the device the device will say it's not a legit battery and disable a heap of functions.

Even if you swap 2 brand new iphone's batteries between eachother they will be seen as unofficial

By 1 January 2024 portable batteries incorporated in appliances and batteries for light means of transport shall be designed in such a manner that they can be readily and safely removed and replaced with basic and commonly available tools and without causing damage to the appliance or the batteries. Portable batteries shall be removable and replaceable by the end-user and batteries for light means of transport shall be removable and replaceable by the end-users or by independent operators during the lifetime of the appliance, if the batteries have a shorter lifetime than the appliance, or at the latest at the end of the lifetime of the appliance. Battery cells for light means of transport shall be removable and replaceable by independent operators.

Oops sorry that was not about devices...

More scrolling to do...

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

They do.

if you do NOT have the exact battery the iphone came with in the device the device will say it's not a legit battery and disable a heap of functions.

Even if you swap 2 brand new iphone's batteries between eachother they will be seen as unofficial

I'm surprised they don't yet make proprietary screws with chips 😄

They're so damn good at screwing people 😛 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Wont do much im afraid, manufacturers will just soft-lock the batteries and charge for theirs an obscene amount of money...... And because of the soft-lock nothing else is going to work:

50 minutes ago, jboman1980 said:

Stop long term support of the iPhone. iPhones have like 5 or 6 years of software support. Cut that down to about how long the battery lasts, give people less of an incentive to buy a new battery vs a new phone. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

36 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I do change the battery of my Iphone SE (2016) (I lost the battery analysis doing this, the ..%, but the phone works fine)

(I like the small form factor of that old phone)

I did change the battery (and camera) of the Iphone 8 of my gf with an original one and it was working as original, with the ..%.

I don't know anything about newer ones except that batteries can be bought and that it seems doable.

(I'm not saying it's easy, I did brick one or 2 Iphones)

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

1 hour ago, jboman1980 said:

My thoughts

You mean "what will everyone, including Apple do?"

Cause the last laptops with removable batteries were made in 2016. Dell, HP, Lonovo, Asus, etc all switched to crappy ultra-book designs.

That said, the solution is pretty easy since all laptops and the pda's that predated

smartphones had removable batteries. Simply go back to the "door" type batteries the iBook/Macbook's had.

a1185_5c2fce70-ed0a-4a84-a0c4-99604587d9f5.jpg?v=1648129516

Like these. Just stick a USB-C connector on the end. Problem solved.

A derogation is granted for appliances regularly subject to splashing water, water streams or water immersion and intended to be washable or rinsed. Such derogation is only applied when the design is required to ensure the safety of the user and the appliance. Professional medical imaging, radiotherapy, and in-vitro diagnostic medical devices with rechargeable batteries are also excluded from the regulation.

So no -easy out- by saying it needs IP67 and thus why it's sealed.

And realistically,  Smartphones always had the option to do this back when they were PDA's. PDA's typically had removable batteries in the same way that the Nintendo 3DS does. Just open a plastic back held in by one or two screws and swap out a standard shaped battery.

So this will probably result in a few devices becoming *shock* a whole 2mm thicker to account for the additional protective material to handle the battery.  Most devices, eg iphones, laptops, will just have you remove the back of the device, like now, except they will likely stop using security screws and glue.

15 minutes ago, Kisai said:

security screws

Please stop helping them spreading that BS. Those are proprietary screws to prevent any 3rd party repairs, too bad for them that nowadays no matter what you do someone will make a bit for it...... It has nothing to do with security.

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Wont do much im afraid, manufacturers will just soft-lock the batteries and charge for theirs an obscene amount of money...... And because of the soft-lock nothing else is going to work:

Apple will do that, Android brands won't

Hope it hurts Apple to its walle.. balls 🎯

Finally, I wish it would come into effect sooner though...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

24 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Cause the last laptops with removable batteries were made in 2016. Dell, HP, Lonovo, Asus, etc all switched to crappy ultra-book designs.

Most of the Dell,HP, Lenovo, Asus laptops with a decent design are screwing their batteries in, all you need to do to access the battery is undo a few phillips screws to remove the bottom panel, while that still isn't as nice as a battery door or easily swapped batteries at least most people could be capable of changing it.

The only one making the battery unremovable is Apple using proprietary screws and gluing the battery in.