EU ban on non-removable laptop and smartphone(?) batteries

jboman1980
1 hour ago, HenrySalayne said:

No, Apple never use any numbers or are comparative in their wording...

Not in the tiles/product page both you and I referred to, with the exception of the display size. But here you come and pull another page that suits your narrative out of your arse.

The rest of your childish and horrible attempt at memeing of a reply I won‘t even comment. The last straw you were hanging on surely just snapped, and so did you.

1 hour ago, HenrySalayne said:

And to add insult to injury - every single tile has a link with follow-up information, except WATER RESISTANCE (and display size, but who cares).

Bullshit. Battery life and 5G also do not have one. Goes to show absolutely nothing.

And once again, made up random shit from you that suits your narrative.

7 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

Bullshit. Battery life and 5G also do not have one. Goes to show absolutely nothing.

And once again, made up random shit from you that suits your narrative.

image.thumb.png.b911e50208207be2569abe1e0223a7c5.png

20 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

Not in the tiles/product page both you and I referred to, with the exception of the display size. But here you come and pull another page that suits your narrative out of your arse.

That's a pathetic attempt to distract from the topic at hand.  I started this. The Pro page has been the basis of discussion from the very beginning.

Don't give me your BS with the non-Pro page that's slightly different. It's completely irrelevant and you are just creating a diversion.

As long as you haven't shown Apple actually advertising their "best in class" IP rating, you have no point. So either find something or shut up.

On 6/27/2023 at 1:37 PM, Dracarris said:

Really going of your way to play dumb, huh? WALKING WITH YOUR PHONE IN YOUR HAND ON THE EDGE OF THE POOL, how much more explicit do I need to be here??

Except others have proven you wrong on the depth of most pools, most swimming pools aren't going to be 6m deep, so you'd have to be diving to even care about having 6m of water resistance. Also the more realistic accidents to happen with dropping your phone were already mentioned, if you drop your phone into at least 6m of murky ocean water there isn't much chance you'd get your phone back anyway.

How about for once admitting that claiming Apple forcing you to rent tools was utter and total BS from you? Next, the gasket is a 1$ spare part and tf know where you pulled that BS from that you need a heat plate to put it back togeter. BULL-SHIT. You need a hair dryer to open the phone and some heavy books to press the display against the new gasket.

I asked you to post proof of a phone that was repaired vs. one that was never opened, now you're insisting anyone could open up a glued shut phone and still have 6m of water resistance after repairing it. Unless you can prove a phone has the same level of water resistance using things you can find at home compared to the way the phone is sealed when new, then you're wrong.

Glue has nothing to do with planned obsolescnce and is simply a mounting mechanism that has many advantages compared to screws and hot swap. Screws only provide localized pressure which is a huge issue with bloated batteries, additionally they consume more space. Hot swappable batteries needs to be much more rugged in comparison to bare, permanently installed ones and I will not explain for the 20th time to you what adverse consequences this has.

And if you are not totally left-handed you can easily undo that glue at home, with any newer devices there are dedicated pull straps.

Gluing a phone shut is planned obsolescence for most people, as the whole point of this EU ruling is to make the battery more accessible without needing special tools. Using screws is fine as long its done every few mm, and the access door has more than one silicone seal.  I and others have already proven that a battery with contact pads doesn't take up a significant amount of battery compartment space, the Galaxy Xcover 6 pro is one example since you keep ignoring it.

The only consequences are less water resistance, however realistically most people don't need a phone with anything more than 1.5m of water resistance, and other only other drawback is the phone can't use a glass backing, which really isn't a consequence as only reviewers and people buying their phone as a lifestyle fashion accessory will complain about not having a slippery glass backed phone.

As for adhesive pull strips, those only work when they are new,  and when they break they are no better than glue. I would rather have a battery that isn't glued or taped in at all.

If you'd for once read my posts properly you'd have seen that I was never talking about guarantees but only chances/probabilities of survival.

Except you are claiming those chances are fact when they are not, an IP rating means the device is only rated to the depth it is tested at. And again, those tests are done under very controlled conditions, so something could still fail before the rated depth, especially if the phone has ever been dropped or is a few years old as glues and seals can degrade.

38 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

I started this. The Pro page has been the basis of discussion from the very beginning.

Don't give me your BS with the non-Pro page that's slightly different. It's completely irrelevant and you are just creating a diversion.

Hahaha, lol. Yeah, you started with some random screenshots without naming a source. So what did I do? The most natural thing anybody would go, go to APPLE DOT COM SLASH IPHONE DASH FOURTEEN, the most vanilla and often sold model.

Everything I said is based on this page, and from the beginning I named my source

So why exactly did you chose the Pro page? Why exactly is the Pro page highly relevant but the regular page "completely irrelevant"? Even though they are only

40 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

slightly different

?

Right, because you nit-picked the Pro page bcs it's exactly those slight differences that suit your bullshit story. And just to be clear: Also the Pro page has no numbers whatsoever with the exception of display size, so your whole argument is absolute and total garbage.

41 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

As long as you haven't shown Apple actually advertising their "best in class" IP rating, you have no point. So either find something or shut up.

It's right there, in a very prominent place in the product specs. One click away from the main product page. And just so you don't come up with that bullshit again: Product specs are an integral part of every products description. And if Apple would put any numbers into their tile-style marketing, it would be there.

40 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Except others have proven you wrong on the depth of most pools, most swimming pools aren't going to be 6m deep, so you'd have to be diving to even care about having 6m of water resistance. Also the more realistic accidents to happen with dropping your phone were already mentioned, if you drop your phone into at least 6m of murky ocean water there isn't much chance you'd get your phone back anyway.

Omfg. Even with the smallest common denominator, every pool with a 3m diving board is at least 3.7m deep - which is a lot of pools, at least where I come from. 1.5m rating is not going to cut it for any of those cases, not even by a stretch.

41 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I asked you to post proof of a phone that was repaired vs. one that was never opened, now you're insisting anyone could open up a glued shut phone and still have 6m of water resistance after repairing it. Unless you can prove a phone has the same level of water resistance using things you can find at home compared to the way the phone is sealed when new, then you're wrong.

You're right. You need a new gasket for 1$ and replace the old one. People usually do not have the gasket at home.

42 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Gluing a phone shut is planned obsolesce for most people, as the whole point of this EU ruling is to make the battery more accessible without needing special tools.

Special tools? Lets see: A screwdriver, a hair dryer, a guitar pick and a suction cup. Yep, checks out, much special tools, impossibru to do at home.

And for anybody else there's an abundance of shops and stores that do the job for a small fee. Planned obsolesence my ass. Take off the tinfoil hat and use your brain and hands. For people to stupid to take their phone to the mall much more fundamental things are a problem.

44 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Using screws is fine as long its done every few mm, and the access door has more than one silicone seal.  I and others have already proven that a battery with contact pads doesn't take up a significant amount of battery compartment space, the Galaxy Xcover 6 pro is one example since you keep ignoring it.

Using screws every few mm requires counterparts on the other side as well every few mm, which again clutters internal space and complicates design. And still only provides localized pressure.

You and others have proven nothing. The Xcover 6 is a prime example of the horrid compromises phones have to make to ease a process that is done once every few years. It's a tradeoff beyond stupid for people stuck in the cellphone past of the early 2000s.

The battery compartment does not only take away space, it also fragemtns and hard-divides the internal space, again complicating design as I ahve elaborated on already.

@Dracarris

Spare me the excuses. You are still just evading the core problem of all your theories:

The mighty Apple corporation, who validates their phones for 6 m (under controlled laboratory conditions), advertises their phones only with "water resistance", something an IPX4 rating would be sufficient for.

One of your axioms was that any manufacturer would have an interest in validating their product for the maximum depth and advertise this characteristic. Yet, all evidence shows that the IP rating and especially the depth is only a footnote or just in a spec sheet and nobody cares. You axiom is false, your argument therefore invalid.

Just accept that this train of thought imploded like an ill-fated submarine and move on. We don't need the clown show trying to turn a footnote into something prominent or a spec page into an advertised feature.

9 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

Yet, all evidence shows that the IP rating and especially the depth is only a footnote or just in a spec sheet and nobody cares.

That's your horribly subjective interpretation of looking at only what you want to see. Just accept this, and spare us with any tasteless BS comparisons to submarines.

13 hours ago, Dracarris said:

Again, just because some norm/standard says whatever does in no mean make me wrong. Your crude and naive application of those standards is futile and wrong - get over it. And I and someone else here gave you enough examples. It's not my diligence to cater to your stubbornness.

No someone gave me a few, not enough. And no the international standards body is THE standard, you know like IPXX being discussed now. If you want to invalidate one international standards body then do it to all including IPXX lol.

Pools are exactly what I said, your few pools in your life you have seen don't many anything to me and it's not like the entire pool over the full length is that deep, at best 25% of it, maybe.

I however have been in literally hundreds of different pools in multiple different countries and actually take notice of competitive events I did not compete in and the pool facilities since if I was going to have to watch them then I'd try and find something of interest to look at.

Further to this is fact that recreational pools that are not for lane swimming are shallower and residential pools are not deep either.

Diligence is absolutely required if you want to argue this point, if you can't do it then accept that you are wrong or toss out IPXX as well since you don't seem to care at all about international standard bodies.

The one being naïve here is you.

Ookay so for once it's not arrogance that leads you to wrong conclusions. So we are talking about municipal open-air pools that were mainly built for recreational purposes, back in the 70s or so. You honestly think they gave two flying hoots about what FINA or the fucking olympic committee say about pools? No. They did not.

No that is what YOU are talking about because you wanted to counter what I said with 1 pool that YOU have used versus my comment which applies broadly across the world and is very simple to observe. I linked you the standards of Olympic/WC pools and ones for learning and training which you didn't seem to notice at all. 

Yes everyone does care because they are the standards body that bases these specifications on safety and suitability requirements. They are the ones figuring out what depths are actually safe, of which it has been widely determined that deep pools are unsafe and unsuitable to learn to swim in and at least in NZ, Aus, UK and many EU countries nobody under around 12 is even allowed in to the Olympic/WC pools and you must also be a competent swimmer that can complete a full 50m without stopping. That's a safety requirement so you don't drown. And if you honestly think most indoor and outdoor community pools are constructed to Olympic/WC specifications then that is very ill-advised train of thought.

The very last thing shows shows how ignorant you are being and will say and do literally anything to suit yourself in the face of the mountain of evidence showing otherwise.

Even if all of the above would be true, you'd still be wrong about the depth of my pool, which is all I was claiming and where you were wrong from the beginning. 

No that is NOT what you were claiming. You didn't like what I said because it was counter to YOUR belief from YOUR understanding of ONE of a few pools you used. You attempted to use that to try and disprove what I said. You are the one that wanted to argue this with your extremely limited understanding and now it seems you want to change the narrative of what actually happened.

Right now I'll just take this as you simply forgot where this started and leave it there.

Call me stubborn all you like, I'll defend the truth and facts because those do matter. If you want to portray that deep water is something actually common to every day life then you're simply going to need to be accurate about where that will be encountered, community pools aren't it and the most likely to get the phone back quickly and effortlessly. It is by far the worst situation to use to justify a higher/deeper rating for water resistance, a flushing toilet probably has more chance of causing water damage.

Ah, going nitpicky here.

Nitpicky?!? No, this is what I ACUTALLY SAID. You are the one that then tried to say I claim no pools are deeper than something I did not say. This simply falls back to the issue I have raised multiple times now, you don't read properly and create situations that were never said. You seem to like arguing things that you created yourself that nobody has or implied.

What am I supposed to do about that? Not point out that what you say is incorrect and not the case? I'm supposed to let you decide what I have and have not said?

Why would I let you get to say I have said something I didn't? Would you allow that? I don't think so.

when you still claim that my damn pool is not 4m deep even though I personally have been there a million times and you have not been.

I will until you provide photo evidence of a depth marker. You know I wouldn't' demand this of you if you were not acting the way you are but since you are I am not going to believe a single thing you say out of trust of knowing your own situation because you acted in a way that has resulted in losing that privilege. The other person who gave counter experience comments did not and has not lost that privilege which you'll notice I did not argue against it like you and I have been.

Am I being unfair to you on this specific thing, yes. Have you earned it, also yes.

Now if I may suggest start relating this back to some actually relevant discussion about phone water resistance. I'll start, pools are not a common situation of needing deep IPXX water resistance ratings because they are not commonly deep.

Edited by leadeater

1 hour ago, Dracarris said:

The Xcover 6 is a prime example of the horrid compromises phones have to make to ease a process that is done once every few years.

What are the horrid compromises?

Samsung Galaxy XCover 6 Pro Tactical Edition runs Android Android 12 and is powered by a 4,050mAh removable battery.

The Galaxy XCover6 Pro's 6.6-inch large Display gives you room to see and do more.

Battery capacities for the iPhone 13 lineup:

• iPhone 13 mini: 2,406 mAh
  • iPhone 13: 3,227 mAh
  • iPhone 13 Pro: 3,095 mAh
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max: 4,352 mAh

Battery capacities for the iPhone 14 lineup:

• iPhone 14: 3,279 mAh
  • iPhone 14 Plus: 4,325 mAh
  • iPhone 14 Pro: 3,200 mAh
  • iPhone 14 Pro Max: 4,323 mAh

Screen sizes for the iPhone 13 lineup:

• iPhone 13 mini: 5.42 inches
  • iPhone 13: 6.06 inches
  • iPhone 13 Pro: 6.06 inches
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max: 6.68 inches

Screen sizes for the iPhone 14 lineup:

• iPhone 14: 6.06 inches
  • iPhone 14 Plus: 6.68 inches
  • iPhone 14 Pro: 6.12 inches
  • iPhone 14 Pro Max: 6.69 inches

Doesn't seem like there is any compromise in battery capacity or capacity relative to size.

The battery design doesn't also block or prevent access between the top and bottom of the device either.

image.thumb.png.6c9e9794ac10e659cfea0edb99220522.png

Of which the top and bottom is fragmented in similar sized iPhones so I'm not really sure what your point is.

iPhone-14-Pro-Max-vs-13-Pro-Max-internals.jpg

Aesthetically it looks like a normal phone, one I'd have no problems owning. The only compromises I can think of or see is that the back cover itself and the suitable choices there since it's removable. Metal or plastic would be suitable however.

Edit:

Also $600 USD vs $1199 USD. I would hope that extra money gets you quite a lot better, which it does. I wouldn't call these competing phones, they are only relevant to compare in regards to showing a removable back cover does not prevent a sufficient water resistance capability.

18 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I will until you provide photo evidence of a depth marker. You know I wouldn't' demand this of you if you were not acting the way you are but since you are I am not going to believe a single thing you say out of trust of knowing your own situation because you acted in a way that has resulted in losing that privilege. The other person who gave counter experience comments did not and has not lost that privilege which you'll notice I did not argue against it like you and I have been.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You are just hilarious (and pathetic). You demanded that depth marker photo proof right in response to one of my very first posts in this thread, so again you are horribly and utterly wrong. Apart from playing daddy that gives out privileges to forum members seems to be a recurring theme with you here. Your cringe profile picture is another piece of evidence for that behavior.

21 minutes ago, leadeater said:

No that is NOT what you were claiming.

It's exactly what I was claiming. I only talked about MY pool here and a few in the area. Which is where you started doubting that MY pool is 4m deep and demanded "photo evidence". Immediately, which is simply ridiculous and arrogant. Period.

41 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

It's exactly what I was claiming. I only talked about MY pool here and a few in the area. Which is where you started doubting that MY pool is 4m deep and demanded "photo evidence". Immediately, which is simply ridiculous and arrogant. Period.

I had a good reason to doubt and ask since this is all you said.

On 6/26/2023 at 10:30 PM, Dracarris said:

Where I live pools are easily 3 to 4m deep.

Without the extra pertinent information of having a diving platform I was always going to question that. My doubt was and is completely justified. Edit: Also when I mentioned diving in to that was in regard to swim diving/starting blocks not board or platform diving, sure "diving" is ambiguous here and since your pool is the way it is I get that maybe you thought I meant platform/board diving. As you may noticed dedicated dive pools is my expectation in case you think I'm am trying to change what I said.

Also how you were acting started before this discussion line, you get no favors from anyone acting like you are, certainly none from me. You may also want to reconsider how you converse too, going deeper and deeper like you are is not advisable.

26 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Without the extra pertinent information of having a diving platform I was always going to question that. My doubt was and is completely justified.

Well maybe apply some common sense and think a tiny bit outside your competition pools and that it may come in quite handy to add a diving board when you’re already building a pool.

And even after that you stubbornely insisted on 3.7m instead of finally believing what people see with their own eyes. I am not stupid and you doubting my memory or gaslighting me into having remembered it wrong is plain insulting and condescending.

26 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Also how you were acting started before this discussion line, you get no favors from anyone acting like you are, certainly none from me. You may also want to reconsider how you converse too, going deeper and deeper like you are is not advisable.

Woot? I haven‘t written almost anything here in a looong time before this, so you want to tell me you remembered my „acting“ from way back then even in light of the sheer amount of posts you write on here?

Also, I do not expect any favors. All I expect is not to get treated like a child which gets lectured by you - THAT is a non-advisable type of behavior and you do this over and over again. With both me and numerous other forum members.

I was at the edge of avoiding and refusing any discussion with you several times already. What happened in this thread certainly pushed me waay over. 

23 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

All I expect is not to get treated like a child that gets lectured

Then act accordingly, this is a simple concept and you'll get treated basically how you do others. If you don't like how things are going then it's a good idea to asses how it got there and why.

Calling others clowns, using clown emoji's and all the other things are what exactly? Any person here could have done something about that but we have all chosen not to. Some favorable treatment has actually been given and not just by me. So if you have any complaints about behavior do well to include yourself.

If you want the bar raised, start by raising it yourself and people will meet you there.

Well maybe apply some common sense and think a tiny bit outside your competition pools and that it may

Again my comment originally was NOT about competition pools and never was nor has ever been. How many times have I stated most pools are not to competitions standards and also not Olympic/WC standard?

I absolutely did apply common sense since you'd never compete in 1.2m which is what I originally said is the standard depth of pools. Maybe I wasn't explicitly and specifically accurate enough to say that one end gets a bit deeper past 75% of the length sure fault me on that if you like.

come in quite handy to add a diving board when you already have a pool.

3m diving platforms shared with a lane pool is not as common as you think. Ground height or 1m boards are far, far more common. Being handy is not a good compromise for what is safe. Ever wondered why a 70's pool is like that but  anything probably past like 1990's isn't? Do you seriously think a pool built today, brand new breaking ground is going to have a 3m diving platform included?

Obviously I do not think so.

I was at the edge of avoiding and refusing any discussion with you several times already. What happened in this thread certainly pushed me waay over. 

If you haven't liked this then you are more than welcome to stop. I have an utter intolerance to people not listening to what I have actually said, claiming things have been said that have not and twisting situations to suit only their point of view utilizing the former things I have just mentioned.

It happens to you often because that's they way you seem to always go. You will most likely always end up in the same situation as you have with me and others and you may not like this but if that is happening reflect on why.

I personally happen to enjoy a good debate, I will also defend a position that I know to be correct even if it's no longer a good debate. If someone is unwilling to give leeway or consideration to the other than I'll simply also not do the same in kind.

Edited by leadeater

2 hours ago, Dracarris said:

Omfg. Even with the smallest common denominator, every pool with a 3m diving board is at least 3.7m deep - which is a lot of pools, at least where I come from. 1.5m rating is not going to cut it for any of those cases, not even by a stretch.

I said most pools aren't even close to 6m deep, pools where you live aren't how most pools are either. @leadeater proved you wrong on that one already.

And like I said before if your're taking your phone around a pool, that isn't the problem with the phone. I wouldn't recommend taking any phone in pool water because IP ratings aren't tested in a pool.

You're right. You need a new gasket for 1$ and replace the old one. People usually do not have the gasket at home.

Replacement seals aren't that cheap at all, then the user would have to go through prying all the old adhesive off the display and the display bezel.

And replacing the seals in a glued phone without a specialized phone display heat plate and pressing it shut until the adhesives are cured doesn't guarantee the phone will be water resistant to the depth IP testing was done.

Special tools? Lets see: A screwdriver, a hair dryer, a guitar pick and a suction cup. Yep, checks out, much special tools, impossibru to do at home.

And for anybody else there's an abundance of shops and stores that do the job for a small fee. Planned obsolesence my ass. Take off the tinfoil hat and use your brain and hands. For people to stupid to take their phone to the mall much more fundamental things are a problem.

You keep missing the point of this ruling making devices so the average phone user can replace the battery in the phone, most people aren't willing to attempt prying at their phone with a pick and a hair dryer.

The whole point is so you don't have to take your phone to a shop or store, its planned obsolesce when manufacturers make phones so difficult to repair the average user has to pay $100 to have the battery replaced. The problem is devices don't need to be glued together.

You keep refusing to accept facts while calling people tinfoil hat and insist people are stupid, people are proving you wrong with objective factual evidence and you keep being naive here.

Using screws every few mm requires counterparts on the other side as well every few mm, which again clutters internal space and complicates design. And still only provides localized pressure.

You and others have proven nothing. The Xcover 6 is a prime example of the horrid compromises phones have to make to ease a process that is done once every few years. It's a tradeoff beyond stupid for people stuck in the cellphone past of the early 2000s.

The battery compartment does not only take away space, it also fragemtns and hard-divides the internal space, again complicating design as I ahve elaborated on already.

The use of screws to secure a battery door isn't anything new, it wouldn't complicated design any more than companies that insist on gluing a phone shut. Again see the Xcover 6 pro as an example, it has a replaceable battery yet it has the same 1.5m water resistance rating as other glued shut phones.

What exact "horrid compromises" are there from having a phone with an easily replaceable battery? There aren't any compromises in battery capacity or water resistance. Is it so horrid to have a phone that has a plastic backing? It is a worthy tradeoff to not having a phone that isn't sealed shut so the user doesn't have to pay to have the battery replaced.

Also go compare the inside of phones to the Xcover 6 pro, the battery compartment doesn't take up any additional space compared to a glued shut phone, and the battery compartment doesn't block other parts of the phone either.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Then act accordingly, this is a simple concept and you'll get treated basically how you do others. If you don't like how things are going then it's a good idea to asses how they go there and why.

Here we go with the lecturing again. I did not start treating you like you did me. I never doubted you misremembering anything.

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It happens to you often because that's they way you seem to always go. You will most likely always end up in the same situation as you have with me and others and you may not like this but if that is happening reflect on why.

You really don‘t get it, do you? It‘s incredibly condescending and patronizing to predict how I will end up with others. And strangely, situations like this are basically exclusively happening with you. 

8 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

Here we go with the lecturing again. I did not start treating you like you did me. I never doubted you misremembering anything.

So you didn't first start saying things I have said were BS then? You didn't start first ignoring what was said and making up silly situation comments that weren't actually said or not in the way you wanted them to be?

You didn't first start calling people clowns and using clown emjoi's?

You in fact did start and if you really wish for me to show you then I can.

How about instead we both lift that bar?

8 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

And strangely, situations like this are basically exclusively happening with you. 

There are very few people I get in to arguments with like this and you are one of them, I can only think of 1 or 2 others myself and it's not always. They also seem to know when they are causing a problem as well and we can all let it pass by without taking it overly seriously.

10 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Replacement seals aren't that cheap at all, then the user would have to go through prying all the old adhesive off the display and the display bezel.

Well as per usual you are wrong about literally every aspect of phone repair, from prices for parts and repairs all the way to how complicated repairs actually are, but there is no sense in explaining things to for the 20th time when you simply refuse to listen.

And if „most people“ refuse to invest 50-100$ after 2-3years into their phone to give them another 2 years of life and instead spend several times that for a new phone, then the problem is throw-away mentality of the people and not planned obsolescence, no matter how much you love that term.

18 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You didn't first start calling people clowns and using clown emjoi's?

Hell no. I was called a clown first, as per usual on this forum!! Not by you but someone else here. If I used clown emojis at all it was after that and only in response to that person.

And I only called things you said BS WAY after you tried to gaslight me into misremembering the depth of „my“ pool.

But honestly I do not care anymore how wrong you think of me what I have said/not said. I made my decision.

Edit: However I also want to make clear that all this shall not mean my behavior was spotless at all times. This has been a very heated debate which surely also caused me to go off the rails here and there.

I would like to direct the conversation to the point at what is user replaceable.

Like late 2020 Macbook Air 13" which almost literally needs to be taken into atoms with 3 different screwdrivers (with 2 being so close each other that it's pure madness to not use the same heads in the screw) and even the miserable sound system is not only hold by screws but also pull tabs because "Apple" and only to get access to the battery pull tabs.

Oh yeah, and the M2 Macbook Airs, just a chef's kiss. Now you not only need to rip off the speakers and the trackpad cable to get access to the battery... You need to rip off the logic board, use heat gun/heat pad, not only T5, T4 and P5 screwdrivers but also T3 screwdriver (which no one else really uses because the screw head is so small that due to the manufacturing errors it just might be T4 screw). As in complete disassembly just to change the battery, 41 step guide in iFixit which probably is the longest guide to battery replacement on the site.

Edit: They also replaced 4 screws on the back cover of the MBA with internal tabs which most likely (as always with tabs) break during the first or second opening so Apple can deny you any future repairs and make an 0% discount offer for a new laptop.

And it isn't even IP rated.

8 hours ago, Thaldor said:

Oh yeah, and the M2 Macbook Airs, just a chef's kiss. Now you not only need to rip off the speakers and the trackpad cable to get access to the battery... You need to rip off the logic board, use heat gun/heat pad, not only T5, T4 and P5 screwdrivers but also T3 screwdriver (which no one else really uses because the screw head is so small that due to the manufacturing errors it just might be T4 screw). As in complete disassembly just to change the battery, 41 step guide in iFixit which probably is the longest guide to battery replacement on the site.

Edit: They also replaced 4 screws on the back cover of the MBA with internal tabs which most likely (as always with tabs) break during the first or second opening so Apple can deny you any future repairs and make an 0% discount offer for a new laptop.

And it isn't even IP rated.

No, no, no, Apple is not a greedy corporation that would choose to built their Mac in such a way that would almost seem that they are trying to design a product to be irepairable by the user.  It's a clear engineering design choice to make the MacBook better than... Better than, uhm, better than something else. Yeah.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>