Explain like i'm 5 what a bunch of chilren on reddit think they'll achieve with this group tantrum?

Gork

I am so lost, and doing the dad head shake, and facepalm.  What's this group tantrum about on reddit? do they think umm...(googles): steve haffman will care that a some forums set their thing to private?

I also don't think they  thought about bystandards.  New to me google is now. lol or was now. doing it's thing through reddit. I came across a potential fix  for why my mums email bounces when she sends something to me. But I won't know now because something something dark,  protest. It's like people taking a wiz in a (expletive deleted) place of residence because of bad service.  All that does is make things stinky for workers and people coming to visit.

So what's the point? like if I get upset about a video on a LTT channel, I can leave a comment about why. Maybe a mod will read it and pass it on. That seems more umm umm polotic and cordial than posting a bunch of dumb things on twitter to "protest" a video.

Seems pretty stupid to me. Just inconveniencing the users. Especially when they've basically announced a time frame. So Reddit knows it can just sit tight, and know that in 48 hours it's over.... so... what?

I realize some groups may stay dark longer than 48 hours... but let's be real, I don't think it'll be many.

15 minutes ago, Gork said:

What's this group tantrum about on reddit?

Their API is going to block the usage of 3rd party apps and bots/moderation tools, so this will worsen the experience for many users.

15 minutes ago, Gork said:

steve haffman will care that a some forums set their thing to private?

The whole point of those API changes is to make reddit more profitable for a possible IPO. If they do something that makes them lose users, which will directly impact on their AD revenue, then the chances of a successful IPO decrease.

16 minutes ago, Gork said:

I also don't think they  thought about bystandards.  New to me google is now. lol or was now. doing it's thing through reddit. I came across a potential fix  for why my mums email bounces when she sends something to me. But I won't know now because something something dark,  protest. It's like people taking a wiz in a (expletive deleted) place of residence because of bad service.  All that does is make things stinky for workers and people coming to visit.

Much like any strike or protest, it does make it hard for some other users. If it didn't cause any impact, it wouldn't mean much.

8 minutes ago, Holmes108 said:

Just inconveniencing the users.

The API changes also inconvenience many users, that's the point.

8 minutes ago, Holmes108 said:

Especially when they've basically announced a time frame. So Reddit knows it can just sit tight, and know that in 48 hours it's over.... so... what?

If nothing changes after those 48 hours, it does show that reddit doesn't care, and many users (specially mods) will leave the platform, making it so that the quality of many subreddits will decrease and more users will leave the platform.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

This strike is being run by the moderators of various subreddits. The moderators are unpaid volunteers who work on Reddit content. Every subreddit must have moderators to exist, unmoderated ones are deleted.

The changes being made will take away tools that make their job manageable. So, rather than leaving Reddit a month from now when the changes hit and their volunteer job becomes unmanageable, they are demonstrating what that will be like, while the change can still be undone.

43 minutes ago, Gork said:

steve haffman will care that a some forums set their thing to private

maybe he (whoever he is) will care when twitter reddit becomes completely unusable because all moderators left (who aren't easy to replace) and majority of users just leaves.

But tbh, he probably is so rich that he definitely does *not* care like at all realistically lol.

But twitter reddit is dead then, and that's the whole point, one evil "social media bs platform" less will be good for everyone. 👍

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I think this is dumb, it WILL cause mass exodus of many subreddits and will harm reddits reputation in general and makes the mods look like total turds. This will ultimately hurt the mods abilities more than it will help. Boycotting isnt going to work, this isnt the 1950's here, stop acting like it.

EDIT: Aparrently over 95% of subreddits are set to private now. it is clear all the reddit mods are having severe case of age regression and the child-like tantrums that go along with that at the same time. No one is going to win here.

5 minutes ago, Rysters Tech said:

I think this is dumb, it WILL cause mass exodus of many subreddits and will harm reddits reputation in general and makes the mods look like total turds. This will ultimately hurt the mods abilities more than it will help. Boycotting isnt going to work, this isnt the 1950's here, stop acting like it.

I mean.. if it does, then it does work. That's the whole point. 

1 hour ago, Holmes108 said:

Seems pretty stupid to me. Just inconveniencing the users. Especially when they've basically announced a time frame. So Reddit knows it can just sit tight, and know that in 48 hours it's over.... so... what?

I realize some groups may stay dark longer than 48 hours... but let's be real, I don't think it'll be many.

The 48-hour time limit is likely instituted, as the goal isn't to outright crush Reddit, but to demonstrate the power the Moderators hold, and have Reddit to come to the negotiating table.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

It’s more about the free labour and long-time power users Reddit depended on for much of its existence feeling that Reddit’s making these decisions (this API one in particular) with short term financial gain in mind but forgetting what makes Reddit Reddit - communities run by volunteers and enthusiasts. 

so, the thinking goes, let the front page just be r/pics for a couple days and see how people like it. 

1 hour ago, Gork said:

I am so lost, and doing the dad head shake, and facepalm.  What's this group tantrum about on reddit? do they think umm...(googles): steve haffman will care that a some forums set their thing to private?

So what's the point? like if I get upset about a video on a LTT channel, I can leave a comment about why. Maybe a mod will read it and pass it on. That seems more umm umm polotic and cordial than posting a bunch of dumb things on twitter to "protest" a video.

The point is, as others have pointed out, that the changes they're making hurts developers, moderators, and users. Use a popular 3rd party app? Good luck -- they're all basically shutting down due to upcoming API pricing changes. Use moderation tools? Good luck -- only those tools that hijack your current session (think Chrome extensions) are safe... for now. Develop a 3rd party client? Good luck -- pricing for API usage is worse than Twitter.

Not to even mention the whole Spez/Apollo situation where Steve quite literally lied about the dev (of Apollo) threatening Reddit in an extortion attempt. If you're really curious as to why this is happening, and what led to this situation, simply read the news -- there are no shortages of articles from most major tech outlets at least briefly covering this controversy. 

But per the title of this thread, /r/explainlikeimfive has you covered already: 

2 hours ago, Rysters Tech said:

EDIT: Aparrently over 95% of subreddits are set to private now. it is clear all the reddit mods are having severe case of age regression and the child-like tantrums that go along with that at the same time. No one is going to win here.

In what world, is striking "child like"?

They(subreddit mods) tried to reasonably work with them(Reddit CEO), but demands were unmet, the only reasonable and correct action from there IS to strike. Striking is not childlike, your workers/volunteers asked for specific workplace conditions (like mod tools that rely on API calls) to not make them broke when Reddit is telling them the subreddits must be moderated). And the Boss was unwilling to meet those conditions or meet them half way, in fact your boss instead LIES about his interactions with people who build tools based off of the API. 

calling a strike childlike is just unhinged Pinkerton behavior. 

Like any and all strikes, this strike will hurt all sides, but the point is solidarity and to make it hurt the C-suite more. Nuking the income for 2 days in a row is not insignificant. 

Imagine being so tone-deaf to compare striking to child-like behavior and throwing a tantrum while on the other side of culture, Hollywood is experiencing their own strike.

Maybe get your head out of your ass and do some research on how strikes have done good for society.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

33 minutes ago, tdkid said:

dont forget Facebook, tiktok, instagram and other social media sites as they are never seen looking up from their phones. but what I cant stand is people always blaming millennials for the things going wrong. depending on what generation info site you use. millennials were born from 1980-1995 meaning that the youngest millennial will be turning 28 this year. more than old enough to be out of school and into the real world unless going for their doctorate but even then its close. i am in my 30s so I am a millennial but I have also been working since I was 13.

Interesting way to move goalposts.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

I am more curious about why some peoples who uses something for free, whining & raging over a few days strike/protest/boycott done by possibly volunteers of a service that isn't crucial in any way, in order to fight for something that includes some users QoL.

It's kinda fascinating in a way.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

5 hours ago, igormp said:

Interesting way to move goalposts.

move the goalposts? how about reading first?

OP: What's this group tantrum about on reddit? do they think umm...(googles): steve haffman will care that a some forums set their thing to private?

me: its called GenZ and unfortunately, that is just how they are because spanking was too cruel a punishment when time-outs in the corner work so well.

starmine: Yes. genZ, popularly known as the generation who invented strikes, and the generation who moderates reddit. 

I’m just assuming there will be more than one shut down and for longer of all the big subreddits before the changes happen.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

For many people having a tantrum results in getting what they want, so I think they expect the company to succumb to the pressure and do what they want.

People need to understand what has happened (building a business/service off someone else platform without legal agreements to protect the sustainability of your business. 

8 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Imagine being so tone-deaf to compare striking to child-like behavior and throwing a tantrum while on the other side of culture, Hollywood is experiencing their own strike.

Maybe get your head out of your ass and do some research on how strikes have done good for society.

Hollywood writers going on strike isn't the same thing at all, they weren't being paid so going on strike is a good thing.  Strikes get companies to negotiate when it starts to hurt their profits, people using a social media site for free isn't going to get the CEO to actually care.

People avoiding reddit for 48 hours seems immature as Reddit knows they can just do nothing as people will just come back after 48 hours, unless people remove their accounts I doubt avoiding the platform for a few days is going to do anything.

ITT: Some of the most stupid takes I have ever seen in my entire life.

Reddit is moderated by volunteers. Those volunteers aren't happy with the changes that Reddit are making. What do you expect them to do? Just get over it? They are getting over it by removing themselves from Reddit which ultimately leads to subreddits being closed as they don't work without moderation.

I feel like the haters in this thread actually don't know how moderation works. Reddit is dead.

8 hours ago, tdkid said:

its called GenZ and unfortunately that is just how they are because spanking was too cruel a punishment when time-outs in the corner work so well.

Not surprising you have a lifted truck as a profile picture and you're talking about spanking. Might need to take a look at yourself buddy.

I am approaching this topic as someone who generally is not a big fan of misdirected protesting, like setting up an online petition, attracting massive attention for a mid-tier product boycott that helps it more than it hurts, or inconveniencing unrelated people.

I do not believe that this is a tantrum, as that would generally imply an irrational expression of frustration where one uses a lot of energy with a meaningless objective, kinda like how a toddler might cry and throw their arms around in the air. I believe that this is actually quite a rational and effective action that I kinda wish other platform users would have taken example of years ago. Basically Reddit has shown themselves, similar to many other platforms out there, to be completely deaf to the voices of the people that use it, like you and me. And whereas for us, the site is just a place where we may come for a random scroll or find a reliable answer to an obscure question, that site does not exist without the maintenance of its userbase. This includes the people who make the posts as well as the people who moderate posts of lesser quality and retain the focus of the content. This is active, and as far as I know, unpaid work.  When the platform shows itself to be indifferent to the concerns of the people who keep it running, does it make sense for them to keep on providing their service?

I can understand that John deciding to make his subreddit private seems like a hostile action to you, if you just wanted to read an archived post that did not need any more moderation or active action to be available to you. However, the fact that the answer exists in that place is only because John decided at some point to dedicate a lot of his time to creating and maintaining a subreddit that gained enough notoriety and respect which made Jane discover it and willing to post their answer to it. This may not be active work, but it is still work which, regardless of your view of redditors, is quite respectable. That said, actions speak louder than words. In this case, saying that UGC sites like Reddit and YouTube are built upon the shoulders of its creators does not mean anything if these creators let the sites walk all over them.

In this case, Reddit has made a clear anti-user and dishonest move with little respect and integrity into their reasoning and explanations, and a large number of reddit users have drawn their line in the sand. Without any response to this, they've made their action which includes withdrawing their work from the service for a limited time. And as can be seen by how this has been a hindrance to you, it can be seen and felt that this work has been quite valuable.

Now people have speculated that these actions may not be very effective due to their announced time limitation of 48 hours. Whether or not it is effective, I don't know, but I do respect them for it. Since, if we look at a platform like YouTube, it has had a consistent streak of ignoring its community and objectively worsening their platform experience with complete disrespect for its creators since 2016. And whereas many times the community has stood up and said no, they have always continued to let YouTube profit off of their work and never taken as decisive action as seen on Reddit today. This has made it clear to YouTube that whenever they want to do something that spits in the face of the people who make it what it is, they can just do so, as these people will be back again tomorrow regardless.  At least the people of Reddit have shown that they won't be back, if only for 2 days, but hopefully longer.

I can understand that this may not be very helpful to your quest to find an answer to your question, so perhaps utilizing ChatGPT may be a good alternative. I may be mistaken, however it has been somewhat effective in answering niche questions. Do be aware that it can make some mistakes, so apply some common sense to what it suggests to you (although I'd recommend that with anything you read online, since rule 1 of the internet is: Don't believe anything you see online).

Anyway, I hope that clears it up a bit. Have a nice day.

Looks like a lot of the people in this thread want to either use the default reddit app, or spend $90 on a functional, usable, third party app. 🙄

I'm not throwing a tantrum, I simply quit using it. I'm not going back until the API price change is reversed; if it isn't, I'm never going back.

This is like NVidia. They did stuff I don't agree with, and I have stopped purchasing their crap. I've picked up two non NVidia cards, with a third planned eventually. Tantrum? No.

If you cannot see the problems with reddit, then just keep using it. Don't complain when you are forced to use trash tier software, or have to pay out your ass for something functional that's third party, though. Nobody wants to hear it, and the fact that you don't care about what the problem is isn't our problem, either

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

I don't get what there is no not understand. They are using basically the only recourse they have as people who still want to use the service but disagree with a new policy, banding together and making a statement. They chose to take down subreddits to accomplish this. Not sure what there is to not get. 

How do you think Women got the right to vote, or the United States was founded, or whatever other really important thing happened. Was usually the result of some kind of protest. This is their very small form of that. If you are just being purposefully obtuse and trolling, maybe go back to Twitter? 

1 hour ago, MichelPostma said:

~~snip~~

Now people have speculated that these actions may not be very effective due to their announced time limitation of 48 hours. Whether or not it is effective, I don't know, but I do respect them for it. Since, if we look at a platform like YouTube, it has had a consistent streak of ignoring its community and objectively worsening their platform experience with complete disrespect for its creators since 2016. And whereas many times the community has stood up and said no, they have always continued to let YouTube profit off of their work and never taken as decisive action as seen on Reddit today. This has made it clear to YouTube that whenever they want to do something that spits in the face of the people who make it what it is, they can just do so, as these people will be back again tomorrow regardless.  At least the people of Reddit have shown that they won't be back, if only for 2 days, but hopefully longer.

~~snap~~

I totally agree with everything you said, just want to add something.
There are multiple subreddits that said that their lockdown is indefinite, not just 48 hours.
Also, many users have been sharing tools to completely wipe out their accounts, including content, even replacing it with the reason for doing so.

And of course, there were some thinly veiled threats from Reddit implying they will watch this with amusement, but the moment they get tired, they'll take over the subreddits.
So we'll see what will happen in the next few weeks.

Alternatives have started to get more users, but so far, nothing comes close, and I doubt they will really take of, like many replacements before them (it's annoying to have some places on, lets say, Kbin, and other on Lemmy, and having to register for each one of them)

As of now, according to Reddark, there are 8477 private or restricted subreddits, comprising more than 2 billion collective (not different) subscribers, so I'd say people are really really angry.

34 minutes ago, rcoelho14 said:

As of now, according to Reddark, there are 8477 private or restricted subreddits, comprising more than 2 billion collective (not different) subscribers, so I'd say people are really really angry.

Subscribers don't have a say in the matter.