Explain like i'm 5 what a bunch of chilren on reddit think they'll achieve with this group tantrum?

Gork
On 6/16/2023 at 2:14 AM, Rex Hite said:

For me the problem with social media is not lack of moderation, but lack of editing. Editing decides if content is worthy while moderation merely decides if it is un-worthy. 

Deciding if material is worthy requires an informed and involved editor with some stake in the decision.  It's bad enough when editors acting out of good will and best judgement get things wrong, but when they subvert their own profession then the credibility of their publications suffers and not just the information they publish. I'm thinking here of newspapers and newscasts.

Without editing, mass information can and must only conform to the lowest standard of speech. Unedited free speech necessarily elevates ignorance to the same level as informed, with both deemed worthy.

'Free' can also mean devoid of value, whether free labour or free opinion. Reddit suffers from both of these meanings.

A large scale social media site is probably not going to be feasible, if subject to what effectively amounts to a whitelist. Editing would require far greater resources, than moderating content that is reported, or obviously against guidelines. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 6/16/2023 at 11:14 AM, Rex Hite said:

For me the problem with social media is not lack of moderation, but lack of editing. Editing decides if content is worthy while moderation merely decides if it is un-worthy. 

Deciding if material is worthy requires an informed and involved editor with some stake in the decision.  It's bad enough when editors acting out of good will and best judgement get things wrong, but when they subvert their own profession then the credibility of their publications suffers and not just the information they publish. I'm thinking here of newspapers and newscasts.

Without editing, mass information can and must only conform to the lowest standard of speech. Unedited free speech necessarily elevates ignorance to the same level as informed, with both deemed worthy.

'Free' can also mean devoid of value, whether free labour or free opinion. Reddit suffers from both of these meanings.

No. its the up/downvote thing simply... point out a flaw in a thing and get immediately downvoted by rabbid fanboys, so your criticism will never be seen, even if truthful (not that this happened to me! lol...)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 6/16/2023 at 8:03 PM, redditrefugee1 said:

long form my friend, that's how I do. That annoys some folks, and if that's you...

i mean you do you, but not only exclusive to forums, its always preferable to keep things short and precise  (which btw makes it more complicated!  ...i know!) because otherwise people will just get bored halfway through,  no one goes on a forum to read novels (that usually don't tell much and include lots of repetitions...)

Or at least make a Tldr! UwU

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 6/18/2023 at 8:38 AM, Mark Kaine said:

i mean you do you, but not only exclusive to forums, its always preferable to keep things short and precise  (which btw makes it more complicated!  ...i know!) because otherwise people will just get bored halfway through,  no one goes on a forum to read novels (that usually don't tell much and include lots of repetitions...)

Or at least make a Tldr! UwU

I think there is room for both. Yes, sometimes short and simple works great. There are other times when elaboration and nuance is important or at least better then pithy. The desire to make everything short form can cut out a lot of detail and discussion that is worth having to some folks.

I reject the idea that a few paragraph's equal a novel. I get your just using that as a short hand, but this shortening of everything is not always for the better, add to that, not everyone takes information in the same way. Elaboration is really useful not just for others, but also for yourself. Sometimes writing out how you feel even when your thoughts aren't fully formed is a good way to think about why you feel that way, and why you are convinced to think that way. It gives you a solid way to examine yourself, and for others to think about as well. Plus it reduces the chance you say something you don't mean, or meant to say differently.

I can't tell you the number of times I've seen comments where people just blurt out an opinion or idea or thought, and it's misinterpreted because they didn't elaborate. We have a lot of folks who also don't take the time to express themselves because they can't sum up what they are saying in a couple of sentences. IT's good to give people the room and space to explain, debate, and discuss things. I mean this is a Forum and not Twitter right? 

Like I said, I'm just being me, and sometimes that means people will be annoyed by me... and that's ok. 

That being said, I might consider a TL;DR in future.

55 minutes ago, redditrefugee1 said:

I think there is room for both. Yes, sometimes short and simple works great. There are other times when elaboration and nuance is important or at least better then pithy. The desire to make everything short form can cut out a lot of detail and discussion that is worth having to some folks.

I reject the idea that a few paragraph's equal a novel. I get your just using that as a short hand, but this shortening of everything is not always for the better, add to that, not everyone takes information in the same way. Elaboration is really useful not just for others, but also for yourself. Sometimes writing out how you feel even when your thoughts aren't fully formed is a good way to think about why you feel that way, and why you are convinced to think that way. It gives you a solid way to examine yourself, and for others to think about as well. Plus it reduces the chance you say something you don't mean, or meant to say differently.

I can't tell you the number of times I've seen comments where people just blurt out an opinion or idea or thought, and it's misinterpreted because they didn't elaborate. We have a lot of folks who also don't take the time to express themselves because they can't sum up what they are saying in a couple of sentences. IT's good to give people the room and space to explain, debate, and discuss things. I mean this is a Forum and not Twitter right? 

Like I said, I'm just being me, and sometimes that means people will be annoyed by me... and that's ok. 

That being said, I might consider a TL;DR in future.

yes, yes, it depends on the subject etc, just saying if possible its preferable to keep it short imo, especially on something like a forum, eh, why write a lot if not necessary (ie depends on the subject) 

for example people often do that in troubleshooting,  they write and write and write, including their interpretations etc, (for example "its not the power supply")  *then why go on a forum and ask for help when you basically already excluded the most likely solution lol*

And often  its just hard to read because the enter key is apparently the most broken key in history! 😉

ps: yeah a tldr cant hurt because maybe people are interested in your opinion,  just don't want to read much 🙂

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 6/14/2023 at 7:20 PM, Strobel said:

The average age is mid twenties, so no development of the prefrontal cortex yet and very few actual intelligent people on there.

boomer cope, although i do wish said mid-twenties people went outside and talked to each other instead of being online all day.

Filled with SJW's

SJWs? really? are we back in 2016?

all the loud mouths literally have a seizure if someone dares have a slightly different opinion.

pointing out stupid opinions someone holds =/= having a seizure. Wonder what the opinions you’re talking about are 😁

4 hours ago, NF-A12x25 said:

boomer cope, although i do wish said mid-twenties people went outside and talked to each other instead of being online all day.

SJWs? really? are we back in 2016?

pointing out stupid opinions someone holds =/= having a seizure. Wonder what the opinions you’re talking about are 😁

Hi Reddit user, with baseless argument.

5800X3D Stock. 32GB RAM. RX 7900 XT. Arch Linux.

On 6/18/2023 at 5:29 AM, Mark Kaine said:

No. its the up/downvote thing simply... point out a flaw in a thing and get immediately downvoted by rabbid fanboys, so your criticism will never be seen, even if truthful (not that this happened to me! lol...)

This, giving people the ability to downvote things makes for a far more toxic community. Makes more opportunities for people to get upset and bitter.

I've got bullies on a few reddits that do nothing but look for my comments and downvote them. Why? Idk but reddit is shit for the anonymous hazing their system allows.

3 hours ago, Strobel said:

Hi Reddit user, with baseless argument.

fortunately I haven’t used reddit in years

4 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

fortunately I haven’t used reddit in years

Exactly. *Kisses*

5800X3D Stock. 32GB RAM. RX 7900 XT. Arch Linux.

This thread was cleaned multiple times, but sadly the OP's title and post were extremely antagonistic and condescending, not something that will work if you want an actual explanation into what is happening, if you actually care.

This thread has obviously ran it's course, especially with the high horsing and condescending tone throughout.

Happy or not about what's happening, the community standards still apply.

*Thread locked*

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !