"Intel Processor": Intel drops Celeron and Pentium branding

Spotty

Summary

Intel has announced that starting in 2023 their new mobile chips will drop the Pentium and Celeron branding, will now be branded as "Intel Processor".

Quotes

Today, Intel introduces a new processor for the essential product space: Intel Processor. The new offering will replace the Intel Pentium and Intel Celeron branding in the 2023 notebook product stack.

The new Intel Processor branding will simplify our offerings so users can focus on choosing the right processor for their needs." -Josh Newman, Intel vice president and interim general manager of Mobile Client Platforms

Intel Processor will serve as the brand name for multiple processor families, helping to simplify the product purchase experience for consumers. Intel will continue to deliver the same products and benefits within segments. The brand leaves unchanged Intel's current product offerings and Intel's product roadmap.

Intel announced today that its laptop chips will shed the Pentium and Celeron branding beginning in Q1 of 2023, to be replaced by "Intel Processor." The word "Processor" has a capital P so that you don't confuse an Intel Processor with an Intel processor.

My thoughts

The article only mentions this is for the notebook (mobile) processors, though it wouldn't surprise me if the branding also gets phased out for desktop CPUs later. The first Pentium branded CPU was released in 1993 so this would mark the end of a 3 decade run for the Pentium brand, through which time the product and meaning behind the Pentium name have changed. I remember when I first got in to PC building and Pentium was the chip to get, now it's considered the budget CPU in cheap laptops for schoolkids.

Calling the new branding "Processor" seems an odd choice. Trademarking that name would likely be difficult since it's a generic industry term.

Sources

https://www.techpowerup.com/298952/intel-kills-celeron-and-pentium-branding-with-intel-processor-naming

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/the-new-intel-processor-will-replace-pentium-and-celeron-cpu-branding-in-2023/

Original press release from Intel:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/newsroom/news/welcome-the-new-intel-processor.html#gs.cm8gb4

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Calling the new branding "Processor" seems an odd choice. Trademarking that name would likely be difficult since it's a generic industry term.

Never underestimate corporate lobbying. They'll likely get it unless/until someone complains.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Maybe they can whip up some deepfake ads starring Abbott and Costello.

"My new laptop has an Intel Processor!"
"What processor?"
"An Intel Processor!"

"No I mean which Intel processor?"
"Yeah, that's the one!"

"WHICH Intel processor?!"
"That one!"

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Typical corporate stupidity.

Instead of an sub brand name carrying information and history (first Pentium was in the 90s) you got a stupid common name that don't mean anything...

Soon Apple will create the Computer 😩

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Trademark point is pretty interesting. Pentium only came about because 586 was not trademarkable.
I suppose intel doesn't care THAT strongly on the trademarkability of their lowest end parts. Do you really want someone to use a slow as a turd computer with a celeron and have it strongly associated with your brand?

But then again. Now you cant even say its just a segment that is shit, you get to say intel processors are shit.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

Maybe they can whip up some deepfake ads starring Abbott and Costello.

"My new laptop has an Intel Processor!"
"What processor?"
"An Intel Processor!"

"No I mean which Intel processor?"
"Yeah, that's the one!"

"WHICH Intel processor?!"
"That one!"

"Okay fine, what generation is it!"

"uhhhhhh a first gen Intel Processor"

"Oh dang so it's an old computer!"

"Nah I just bought it"

7 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

They doing this to obfuscate how product specs are labelled. Pentium and Celeron are old product names and is synonymous with lower performance, so better to make them harder for consumers to identify.

"It is true that my high performance PC with a new i7/i9 has an Intel Processor. So go get a computer with an Intel Processor it will surely perform just as well"

Dont overestimate people's intelligence

Wouldnt the association go the other way?
when I worked retail, the big sellers in laptops WERE The Pentiums and the i3s because of the price. (I would try hard to steer them away from Celeron, but my coworkers knew nothing(not a slight on them, not paid enough to care) so god help the consumers when I wasn't working)
But people may just associate intel with being slow rather then recognize it was a slower segment.

In the past you could say, oh its slow because it was a celeron/pentium. 
going forward, you would say, oh its slow because its intel.

That does not seem like the connection intel wants end users to make.

12 hours ago, Spotty said:

Not an expert in the field by any means, but the trademark would be "Intel Processor" not "Processor". It does not generally block anyone else from using "processor", unless your company name happened to be Imtel or something.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

42 minutes ago, porina said:

Not an expert in the field by any means, but the trademark would be "Intel Processor" not "Processor". It does not generally block anyone else from using "processor", unless your company name happened to be Imtel or something.

You're probably right. The "Core" branding is trademarked as "Intel Core". I had a quick look and there's currently no Trademark registered for "Intel Processor" (or any variation I could find). On another note a battery company in Florida attempted to trademark "Intel Outside" for solar panels/chargers but the trademark was abandoned.

2 hours ago, starsmine said:

In the past you could say, oh its slow because it was a celeron/pentium. 
going forward, you would say, oh its slow because its intel.

That does not seem like the connection intel wants end users to make.

Linus made the same argument on this week's WAN show. Branding their lowest end products as "Intel Processor" just means people are going to say "Ah don't buy that it's got an Intel Processor they're the slowest", and that could hurt Intel's reputation since most people don't know the difference between an Intel Processor and an Intel Core processor.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Pentium is a much better brand name than the bland ”Core” branding.

Also I’m so old so I have strong memories of Pentium being THE IBM compatible PC CPU to have.

Not sure why they wouldn't just use a serial number at this point. Or make the whole lineup conform to the core i branding by launching the core i1, or just extend the i3 line down since there isn't that much difference between bottom of the barrel i3s and pentiums.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Imagine how confusing this would be for tech support.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

On 9/16/2022 at 3:07 PM, PDifolco said:

Typical corporate stupidity.

Instead of an sub brand name carrying information and history (first Pentium was in the 90s) you got a stupid common name that don't mean anything...

Soon Apple will create the Computer 😩

Nah, Apple would prefer to not be thought of as a computer company at all. Computers are so old and lame.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

15 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

The new Intel Processor processor, now with Intel Graphics Processor graphics processors and integrated Intel Cache cache.

I can't wait for the new Intel SSD SSDs.

I'm proactively starting a fan group of the Intel Fan fans. I'm calling it the Intel Fan fans fans group.

Mobile Pentiums have been trash for a long time, and all Celerons have been trash since day one (with the exception of the late '90s overclockers). I'm not surprised by this at all, because there's really not much in terms of performance differentiating them from each other, or even from the old Atom lineup.

On the desktop side, I would anticipate the branding staying the same. There are real differences in performance and price on that platform. One possible change I could see there would be taking the discontinued "Pentium Silver" line from mobile CPUs and replacing the Celeron name with that on the desktop side to standardize things a bit. If it happens, it would be kind of sad to see the Celeron name lost to time, but OEMs would no doubt love it. They could slap the cheapest Celeron trash back into PCs and start labeling everything as a Pentium, a name that still carries a lot of value today.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

On 9/17/2022 at 11:52 AM, Sauron said:

Not sure why they wouldn't just use a serial number at this point. Or make the whole lineup conform to the core i branding by launching the core i1, or just extend the i3 line down since there isn't that much difference between bottom of the barrel i3s and pentiums.

They're more likely to drop the "core" branding at some point. Basically the reason why every chip generation doesn't have an official trademarked name is because it costs money to register, maintain and defend. Hence we get "Alder Lake", "Rocket Lake", but those are only used for a single chip generation, and are interchangeable with "12th gen intel processor" and "13th gen intel processor"

5 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Mobile Pentiums have been trash for a long time, and all Celerons have been trash since day one (with the exception of the late '90s overclockers). I'm not surprised by this at all, because there's really not much in terms of performance differentiating them from each other, or even from the old Atom lineup.

On the desktop side, I would anticipate the branding staying the same. There are real differences in performance and price on that platform. One possible change I could see there would be taking the discontinued "Pentium Silver" line from mobile CPUs and replacing the Celeron name with that on the desktop side to standardize things a bit. If it happens, it would be kind of sad to see the Celeron name lost to time, but OEMs would no doubt love it. They could slap the cheapest Celeron trash back into PCs and start labeling everything as a Pentium, a name that still carries a lot of value today.

I think we're seeing the same thing from nVidia, where they recently dropped the "Quadro" branding and the cards formerly known as Quadro's are just "RTX."

"Celeron" has historically been the "garbage" processor that you avoid buying. It's the chip that Intel cut the cache from entirely originally. Pentium stopped having any meaning when the chips after it became Pentium 2, and Pentium 3. With Pentium 4 not being related to the Pentium 3, but the Core Duo is. 

If I were Intel, I'd drop the Core branding, and take a cue from car branding and just call the cpu's what they are like how a Toyota and a Lexus vehicles are the exact same car, but the Lexus has the luxury trim levels.  Instead of cutting down a Lexus ES into a Toyota Camry, it's the other way around where the Camry is the "platform" and the Lexus is a trim level not marketed as Camry, but is still a camry, and anyone who sits in one knows it. The same was true with all of GM's vehicles before they dropped a bunch of old brands, where a Pontiac, GM, Buick would all be the same underlying vehicle, and sitting in one looked identical other than some color and trim options.

Intel should have dropped the Celeron and Pentium brands, along with the Atom brand years ago. It's confusing for customers, and leaves them at a disadvantage, marketing-wise. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/history/virtual-vault/articles/end-user-marketing-intel-inside.html

So my thought here is that perhaps they're going to double down on the "Intel Processor" the brand for all the CPU's. Maybe start calling all of them "Intel Processor" and retiring the core i-series as a brand, since it's become far more confusing than it should be.

Back in the 286, 386, 486 era, we knew the first digit was the cpu gen, and things should have stayed that way. But then the Pentium brand came along, and competitors made "586" and "686" processors which threw confusion into the whole mess (586 chips fit on 486 motherboards, and 686 motherboards fit on third parties socket 7 pentium-chip boards)

Is that an AMD or a Cyrix or an Intel CPU? Nobody knows unless you take it apart. That was the situation right up to the end of the 486 era. Let's also not get started on the "IBM Compatible" branding which is what everyone was using until "Windows 95" became it's own platform. Windows 95 could also still run on a 386.

Which is then asking the question, how are they going to differentiate performance models? If everything is just "Intel Processor" like Apples "A-series", with no distinction anywhere between the models, that's going to create a lot of pissed off people when two people with "Intel Processor" laptops have dramatically different experiences.

I hope what they're doing is going to do a full rebrand of everything so you get something like

"Intel Processor" (everything that has at least 4 P cores)

"8-core Intel processor" (counting only P cores)

"32-core Intel processor" (counting only P cores)

But I think ultimately, this is going to be harmful, as people will start associating the "crap parts" with "Intel" if they do it this way without any specific brand segmentation. They should have stuck with a naming scheme like this:

mXX (Mobile/HTPC/embedded)

dXX (Desktop) 

wXX (Workstation/HPC)

hXX (Server)

With only using a two-digit designation. So d99 would be the highest performance chip, and d01 would be the lowest performing chip, think of the two-digit number as a relative percent performance. So d99 would be "99.99%" and "d01 would be  "1%" So if d99 is a 16-core part, then d24 is a quadcore part. If w99 is a 32 core part, w24 is an 8 core and w12 is a quadcore. 

At any rate, The Xeon branding has been extremely confusing, and the laptop branding has been terrible. You see a U/Y part and can't understand why this U part is a terrible performer despite the 5-digit model number being the same as a desktop, should have bought the H part, which is similar to the desktop part. This problem is even worse with laptop GPU's, where it feels like model number shrink rays, when the GPU in a laptop is marketed as the high end, but compared to the desktop it's not even equal to the bottom tier.

7 hours ago, Kisai said:

With only using a two-digit designation. So d99 would be the highest performance chip, and d01 would be the lowest performing chip, think of the two-digit number as a relative percent performance. So d99 would be "99.99%" and "d01 would be  "1%" So if d99 is a 16-core part, then d24 is a quadcore part. If w99 is a 32 core part, w24 is an 8 core and w12 is a quadcore.

To see with those who don't like mathematics to have their opinion on your idea 😅

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)