LTT Screwdriver

Imbadatnames

As GuiltySpark mentioned the LTT  screwdriver is supposed to be competing more so with Snap-On type screwdrivers. Though as indicated in the quote, my biggest concern with the LTT equipment that's been shown off is whether they will have warranties that one would expect from products of that price bracket.

39 minutes ago, Ultraforce said:

As GuiltySpark mentioned the LTT  screwdriver is supposed to be competing more so with Snap-On type screwdrivers. Though as indicated in the quote, my biggest concern with the LTT equipment that's been shown off is whether they will have warranties that one would expect from products of that price bracket.

What’s the special thing with the snap on drivers exactly it looks like a fairly standard screwdriver 

5 minutes ago, Velcade said:

It's not for you and that's okay.

My point was that you can get a Makita kit (not a cheap brand) with 227 parts for slightly more which is the screwdriver, bits, spanners and a ton of sockets. What’s so special about the LTT one for it to cost that much? 

2 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

Honestly $70 is a bit expensive.

Yup.

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Though this is what you get with Snap-On

Yup. I think the true test will be if the LTT screwdriver can be competitive with Snap-on.

Almost every hardware store sells the Lutz screwdrivers, so this is what I bought for a much smaller price:

Spoiler

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bairdbrothers.com%2FAssets%2FProductImages%2FTools%2FLutz%2Flarge%2Ffs_LUTZ-SCREWDRIVER-BLUE.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Not Snap-on quality, but it does ok.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

17 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

What’s the special thing with the snap on drivers exactly it looks like a fairly standard screwdriver 

There's not something inherently special with snap on it's just that they are made with good material and in the LMG Clips that talks a bit about the price of the screwdrivers and backpack(I will say his surprise about people asking why a screwdriver specializing in computer work would be that expensive is something that I don't understand since the video on LTTStore.com explicitly mentioned they were designed for computer work again and again, so it's reasonable to think oh it might not be using metals and plastics good for industrial work or for a boat.). The choice of price of Snap-On's is probably a combination of good materials having a lifetime warranty, being made in the USA and depending on the choice either having a bit that stays in the screwdriver well without being magnetic or having a good magnet for the magnetic one. Since Linus made a big deal about them having an excellent magnet. The bit holder included in the screwdriver also likely increases the price. Though I will say that I personally like looking at Lee Valley when it comes to tools that I don't know much about since they have kind of made their name on selling quality products and most of the screwdrivers that they sell don't have internal bit swapping so it's very possible that's a nice to have thing that people who are actually working in more normal jobs where screwdrivers come up a lot really don't care for that sort of mechanism.

5 minutes ago, Ultraforce said:

There's not something inherently special with snap on it's just that they are made with good material and in the LMG Clips that talks a bit about the price of the screwdrivers and backpack(I will say his surprise about people asking why a screwdriver specializing in computer work would be that expensive is something that I don't understand since the video on LTTStore.com explicitly mentioned they were designed for computer work again and again, so it's reasonable to think oh it might not be using metals and plastics good for industrial work or for a boat.). The choice of price of Snap-On's is probably a combination of good materials having a lifetime warranty, being made in the USA and depending on the choice either having a bit that stays in the screwdriver well without being magnetic or having a good magnet for the magnetic one. Since Linus made a big deal about them having an excellent magnet. The bit holder included in the screwdriver also likely increases the price. Though I will say that I personally like looking at Lee Valley when it comes to tools that I don't know much about since they have kind of made their name on selling quality products and most of the screwdrivers that they sell don't have internal bit swapping so it's very possible that's a nice to have thing that people who are actually working in more normal jobs where screwdrivers come up a lot really don't care for that sort of mechanism.

So it’s just a normal a normal screwdriver. Again I can get a Makita driver along with 80 bits, spammers up to 20mm and a full socket set for about $10 also made in the US, UK or Japan. The LTT driver is SUCH a ripoff it’s unreal 

If you've handled Snap-On tools its usually immedietely clear you're handling a superior product.

Materials, build quality, after-sale support. 

I have no doubt on the first two with the LTT model, its the last one that's up the air to me.

2 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

So it’s just a normal a normal screwdriver. Again I can get a Makita driver along with 80 bits, spammers up to 20mm and a full socket set for about $10 also made in the US, UK or Japan. The LTT driver is SUCH a ripoff it’s unreal 

I can't really say whether or not it's a ripoff or not. I don't know if I'd buy one since my household already has more screwdrivers then is known what to do with and for quality ones there are the ones my grandfather who was a machinist had gotten.

Saying whether or not something is a ripoff is really hard and up to personal interpretation. There might be ergonomic differences from a Makita screwdriver. Personally, I would wait till after the release and people use these new sets of products for a while and would be more interested in looking at reviews of a bunch of people who use screwdrivers or backpacks before going with either of them as whether or not they are an okay choice for if you happen to have a use for the equipment and want to give LMG money is to be determined.

12 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

There is a market for premium products that are built better with higher quality materials. This may just not be for you. 

Then again LTT's isn't out yet so i'm focusing more on what Snap-On offers, for instance. I am willing to pay for a very high end version of a simple product if its a quality item.

20 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

There is a market for premium products that are built better with higher quality materials. This may just not be for you. 

Then again LTT's isn't out yet so i'm focusing more on what Snap-On offers, for instance. I am willing to pay for a very high end version of a simple product if its a quality item.

The products I’m listing are high end products. Makita are regarded as one of the best tool manufactures and easily beat Snap-on in product functionality and durability. Snap-on aren’t a good brand just expensive, kinda like beats. Milwaukee, Dewalt and Makita all blow them out of the water. Hell even craftsman are cheaper (also including a lifetime warranty). Lifetime warranty is nice but when you can buy better kit that will last just as long if not longer and at less than half the price is it really worth it? Especially when their power tools are either terrible or rebadged? 

4 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

The products I’m listing are high end products. Makita are regarded as one of the best tool manufactures and easily beat Snap-on in product functionality and durability. Snap-on aren’t a good brand just expensive, kinda like beats. 

Here is where this conversation derails. 

Once subjectivity and opinion starts being thrown around, there is no more room for objective discussion. You've made up your mind, so don't purchase the item. 

Those that do should have no impact on your life in any way.

I wouldn't say it's a ripoff. Making actually unique product from the ground up is pretty damn expensive especially if you expect to manufacture them only in thousands and you don't have anything else related to it (as in you could manufacture them besides of something else you are manufacturing). Snap-On, Bahco, kwb and other actual tool manufacturers and companies order those ratcheting screwdrivers in hundreds of thousands (worldwide), the bit making is in millions because the same bits go to multiple different products and they expect to make them for decades, possibly, meaning they can easily stretch the development costs for multiple years.

Development costs, you ask. Let me tell you, a single prototype is ******* expensive and designing time is also expensive, actually everything is expensive especialyl if you cannot do something in it by yourself. At one point in life I wanted to produce a prototype of something that was basicly an anodized aluminium tube with end caps and some fancy moving parts and threads, if I didn't find a machinist who did it for a bottle of booze during his lunchbreaks that single prototype would have costed me, if ordered from some company, around 5 000-10 000€. From China maybe a bit cheaper but we probably would still be closer in thousand euros,  easily over, but no way near anything that could be considered "cheap".

As Linus would I make a screwdriver? No. I would probably try to find someone who already makes screwdrivers and get a deal with them to slap a bit different handle to one of theirs or even just different colours and call it mine. Making completely own is just damn expensive if it isn't my bread and only thing it will produce for me is a ton of people asking "why this is so much more expensive than X". Basicly try to do anything to get its costs down so it would be closer to the competition price than something multiple times more expensive (just for price comparison I can a screwdriver set with around the same features for 16€, Bahco one with less heads for 20€ and Bahco with added LED-lights 27€)

Am I in the customer end for a $70 screwdriver (closer to 100€ with shipping and taxes)? Nope. The way I use my screwdrivers is that the <20€ sets are better than anything expensive, if I break a bit or two, no huge deal just get another. And yeah, if I see it fitting I will use my micro screwdrivers as chisels and prying tools. Actually only screwdrivers that I have paid more (as a single unit) than 5€ have been a huge slot head made for hammering and T5-drive (because torx 5 seems to be the weakest link of every set I have ever owned). If I was to pay over 50€ for a screwdriver set, it would either need to be electric (like Bosch PushDrive) or something really special (for example: I didn't even blink to spend 120€ to a Victorinox Swiss Tool BS because from personal experience with their pocket knives, I know I can trust that tool to last my abuse and still just work for my lifetime).

39 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Just look up what Wera Joker wrenches cost and then compare them to Makita prices. You say Wera is just crazy expensive? continue with Hazet

I just looked at the Joker, that looks pretty awesome and not as expensive as I was expecting from your comment. Having said that, their website was horrible to navigate...

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

I

7 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

But does it have any advantages over a Snap On for roughly the same price?  Snap-On has a 100 year history behind it of making quality tools.

2 minutes ago, xlr231 said:

I

But does it have any advantages over a Snap On for roughly the same price?  Snap-On has a 100 year history behind it of making quality tools.

I have no idea, I have no interest in LTT's product, especially since it doesn't exist yet. It may be exactly the same quality but I don't know why they bothered to make it at all when you can get a Snap-On. 

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Standard-Handle/8-3-4"-Ratcheting-Standard-Screwdriver-(Orange)/SSDMR4BO

The snap on tool is made in USA, while LTT's is made in China. Unless @LinusTech can assure me that the the chinese workers at the chinese factory enjoy an equivilant working standards as Canada or the US (equivilant pay, workers rights, safety etc.), then I see absolutely no reason to why i'd pick LTT's screwdriver over snap on's. And to add to this, there is this screwdriver that is said to be identical to snap on's for half the price https://smile.amazon.com/Williams-WRS-1-Magnetic-Ratcheting-Screwdriver/dp/B002NI1LZK?

There is even an ltt mention in the Q&A

image.thumb.png.869e3b0bdbe034a1190bf562c80d309f.png

10 hours ago, James Evens said:

There is a difference between this set and a ratcheting screw driver. It is like complaining about the cost of a torque screw driver compared to a standard one: They are different products.

Makita pricing is more on the low end of brand manufactures.

Just look up what Wera Joker wrenches cost and then compare them to Makita prices. You say Wera is just crazy expensive? continue with Hazet

Racheting screwdrivers aren’t expensive. 

Joker spanner’s are good but they’re for specific uses, it’s not just a bog standard screwdriver with a brand. I get why they are expensive, snap on however are widely critiqued for their prices on pretty much everything. 

Pretty sure the LTT Screwdriver is made by Megapro Tools.  They offer the pull out bit organizer and it's patented and they are based in Canada.  I can't find it on the LTTStore site, but will it offer a lifetime warranty as well?

1 hour ago, Cooshman said:

Pretty sure the LTT Screwdriver is made by Megapro Tools.  They offer the pull out bit organizer and it's patented and they are based in Canada.  I can't find it on the LTTStore site, but will it offer a lifetime warranty as well?

So they’re just marking up a megapro driver 

16 hours ago, poochyena said:

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Standard-Handle/8-3-4"-Ratcheting-Standard-Screwdriver-(Orange)/SSDMR4BO

The snap on tool is made in USA, while LTT's is made in China. Unless @LinusTech can assure me that the the chinese workers at the chinese factory enjoy an equivilant working standards as Canada or the US (equivilant pay, workers rights, safety etc.), then I see absolutely no reason to why i'd pick LTT's screwdriver over snap on's. And to add to this, there is this screwdriver that is said to be identical to snap on's for half the price https://smile.amazon.com/Williams-WRS-1-Magnetic-Ratcheting-Screwdriver/dp/B002NI1LZK?

There is even an ltt mention in the Q&A

image.thumb.png.869e3b0bdbe034a1190bf562c80d309f.png

The zinc housings for our ratchets are made in China. Our moulds and all plastics are done in Canada. Final assembly and packaging is also done in Canada.

As for the other comment I'm too lazy to quote right now, no we did not simply mark up a Megapro driver. If we had, it would look like a Megapro driver with our name silkscreened on it or something. We spend hundreds of thousands of dollars customizing everything about it. Our ratchet is reversed compared to Megapros, the bit storage is much more compact compared to Megapros and the ergonomics are (imo) MUCH better than Megapro's other drivers. The quality and finish of the plastics is also outstanding.

I don't expect everyone to spend $70 for a screwdriver, but it's also not equivalent to some $25 driver.

Of course I would say that though. That's why if you're on the fence you should wait for the user reviews. As part of our internal commitment to transparency we do not censor or curate the reviews on our site, so you should have a pretty good idea of whether it's worth it pretty quickly after release 🙂

16 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

The zinc housings for our ratchets are made in China. Our moulds and all plastics are done in Canada. Final assembly and packaging is also done in Canada.

As for the other comment I'm too lazy to quote right now, no we did not simply mark up a Megapro driver. If we had, it would look like a Megapro driver with our name silkscreened on it or something. We spend hundreds of thousands of dollars customizing everything about it. Our ratchet is reversed compared to Megapros, the bit storage is much more compact compared to Megapros and the ergonomics are (imo) MUCH better than Megapro's other drivers. The quality and finish of the plastics is also outstanding.

I don't expect everyone to spend $70 for a screwdriver, but it's also not equivalent to some $25 driver.

Of course I would say that though. That's why if you're on the fence you should wait for the user reviews. As part of our internal commitment to transparency we do not censor or curate the reviews on our site, so you should have a pretty good idea of whether it's worth it pretty quickly after release 🙂

Suppose there’s only so much you can do with a screwdriver but other established brands are cheaper and widely available with great build quality, ergonomics and tool ecosystems/sets that go with them. Don’t really see how you’d make money even at $70 after spending “hundreds of thousands” and that’s without BOM cost I’m guessing too.