LTT Screwdriver

Imbadatnames
On 3/29/2022 at 10:48 PM, GuiltySpark_ said:

If you've handled Snap-On tools its usually immedietely clear you're handling a superior product.

Materials, build quality, after-sale support. 

I have no doubt on the first two with the LTT model, its the last one that's up the air to me.

Whilst true, I'll be honest and say I've never needed after-sale support for a screwdriver 😂

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Has there been any official word on what each of the bit packs are going to contain? I see in the picture the types in the default one but not the sizes.

13 hours ago, vetali said:

How many things are you going to be doing underneath your car with a ratcheting screwdriver?

European car

theres a plastic shield for your plastic shield for your metal shield for your plastic one.

also the missus car has the cabin filter underneath the dashboard behind the centre console/radio fascia. You have to lie down facing up with your back on the scuff plate to open the hatch😂

14 hours ago, Bitter said:

GM Turbo engine?

yaaaaas, 2L ecotec-based.

10 hours ago, W.D. Stevens said:

Has there been any official word on what each of the bit packs are going to contain? I see in the picture the types in the default one but not the sizes.

I don't know if anything has been officially announced except that there will be multiple sets available so you can load your screwdriver with the bits you need the most. A long while back on WAN Show, Linus mentioned an "FU Set" with some of the common security and proprietary bits.

The shank is supposed to be the standard 1/4-hex diameter, so regular off-the-shelf bits will work. The LTT bits are just shorter from end to end, so more of them can fit in the handle.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

6 hours ago, volatus146 said:

yaaaaas, 2L ecotec-based.

But without VVT? Interesting. I recognize that upper chain tensioner just about anywhere, I've seen enough of them bent and broken from timing chains slapping around.

15 hours ago, Ezzy-525 said:

Whilst true, I'll be honest and say I've never needed after-sale support for a screwdriver 😂

I've broken a few tips on my Snappy screw drivers, not even flat blades from prying!

15 hours ago, Ezzy-525 said:

This is why Snap-On sells mainly to professionals.

Most consumers will never wear out a tool.  People who use them professionally every day, sometimes will.

My mom has never worn out a keyboard, but I play lots of video games and most certainly have worn WASD off pretty much every keyboard I've ever owned.

2 hours ago, BrokenSh1eld said:

Since LTT is using components sourced from MegaPro, for working on PC's, MegaPros own 24-1 screwdriver for the money makes a lot more since. 

https://megaprotools.com/products/24-in-1-precision-screwdriver

$35, 3 year warranty

I hear you but thats a precisions screw driver and not a full size one like the LTT one, also the one you linked I dont believe is ratcheting so basically its not at all the same thing

On 6/19/2022 at 10:51 AM, Imbadatnames said:

Dropping won’t cause it issue, breaking it would involve abuse that would also deform steel. Have to remember they use it for drill bits, chisels and armour piercing rounds.  

Everything you listed is a consumable. This is meant to last for years, if not decades. Different expectations of wear.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:13 PM, saint_louis_bagels said:

I feel bad that they've essentially endured 2 years of abuse because a lot of people in their customer base don't understand the difference between something being expensive because it's high quality and 'overpriced' because they see no value in anything beyond $15.

I can sort of understand why though. They're an influencer, and there's been a lot of influencers that have put out shit products.

On 7/3/2022 at 5:08 AM, Needfuldoer said:

I don't know if anything has been officially announced except that there will be multiple sets available so you can load your screwdriver with the bits you need the most. A long while back on WAN Show, Linus mentioned an "FU Set" with some of the common security and proprietary bits.

The shank is supposed to be the standard 1/4-hex diameter, so regular off-the-shelf bits will work. The LTT bits are just shorter from end to end, so more of them can fit in the handle.

Pretty sure it's not a standard bit diameter. Can't remember what size it is, but I remember him stating something along those lines.

11 hours ago, BrokenSh1eld said:

Since LTT is using components sourced from MegaPro, for working on PC's, MegaPros own 24-1 screwdriver for the money makes a lot more since. 

$35, 3 year warranty

They haven't marketed it only as a PC screwdriver, he's said multiple times it can be used for anything. These also use different mechanisms and different grades of materials.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Pretty sure it's not a standard bit diameter. Can't remember what size it is, but I remember him stating something along those lines.

According to the Screwdriver Teaser video, their bits will be 20mm in length but “you can use standard bits if you really want to”.

Not using a standard 1/4-hex shaft would be dumping money into reinventing the wheel. (Especially if they're working with a tool manufacturer that already has all the production lines and tooling in place to produce 1/4-hex bits.) 20mm bits are uncommon as it is (25mm is standard), having them all manufactured in a custom diameter at LMG’s volume would probably never pay the tooling off.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Everything you listed is a consumable. This is meant to last for years, if not decades. Different expectations of wear.

It’s a much higher expectation. The point is the material DOESN’T wear. It’s significantly harder than steel and unless you’re in the practice of smacking it with a sledgehammer it will not break (might even perform better than steel in that regard depending on the angle tbh)

13 hours ago, BrokenSh1eld said:

$35, 3 year warranty

10 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

I hear you but thats a precisions screw driver and not a full size one like the LTT one, also the one you linked I dont believe is ratcheting so basically its not at all the same thing

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

They haven't marketed it only as a PC screwdriver, he's said multiple times it can be used for anything. These also use different mechanisms and different grades of materials.

Just to minimize misinformation, they are specifically licensing the usage of MegaPro's ratcheting mechanism. Although they admit that it's been heavily re-tuned to to meet their own specs.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

I remember Linus mentioning something about changing the direction of the selector, which way will it be.

To me, the correct way is if you hold onto the selector ring and turn the handle clockwise (or, if you're a weirdo, hold the handle and turn the selector ring anti-clockwise) , it will be set to tighten the screw, and vice versa.

It's been that long since I used a ratcheting screwdriver (they're pretty much all crap) that I can't remember what the 'standard' is!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

3 hours ago, yolosnail said:

I remember Linus mentioning something about changing the direction of the selector, which way will it be.

To me, the correct way is if you hold onto the selector ring and turn the handle clockwise (or, if you're a weirdo, hold the handle and turn the selector ring anti-clockwise) , it will be set to tighten the screw, and vice versa.

It's been that long since I used a ratcheting screwdriver (they're pretty much all crap) that I can't remember what the 'standard' is!

LTT had them change the ratcheting mechanism to where you rotated the collar in the direction you want to turn the screw. I believe this was the cause of the major delay. MegaPro had it reverse which is common and I believe cheaper. Linus did a demo of the ratcheting mechanism in a recent vid (I think the PS3 dev kit video). If the mechanism catches with as little force as hes saying, I am really excited. I do a lot of the interior work on cars at the shop, especially dash related stuff. Having a good magnet and ratcheting mechanism will be really handy for my job. Trying to use my impact driver less on interiors because it tends to overtighten stuff and cause creaks and rattles in newer cars.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

9 hours ago, vetali said:

LTT had them change the ratcheting mechanism to where you rotated the collar in the direction you want to turn the screw. I believe this was the cause of the major delay. MegaPro had it reverse which is common and I believe cheaper. Linus did a demo of the ratcheting mechanism in a recent vid (I think the PS3 dev kit video). If the mechanism catches with as little force as hes saying, I am really excited. I do a lot of the interior work on cars at the shop, especially dash related stuff. Having a good magnet and ratcheting mechanism will be really handy for my job. Trying to use my impact driver less on interiors because it tends to overtighten stuff and cause creaks and rattles in newer cars.

But driver with selectable clutch?

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

But driver with selectable clutch?

I have one, its not strong enough to remove the rear cargo anchor screws. Those things are way too tight from the factory and need a full on impact to remove.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

20 hours ago, vetali said:

That's a shame, that's probably enough to put me off the LTT screwdriver.

My 1/2" impact wrench gets used for just about everything on the cars, it's just so convenient. Luckily it has 3 power levels so if I'm screwing into plastic it's not too powerful even on full send, I've basically perfected the trigger at this point to get the perfect torque

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

13 hours ago, vetali said:

I have one, its not strong enough to remove the rear cargo anchor screws. Those things are way too tight from the factory and need a full on impact to remove.

And there's loctite on them too, right? I meant for assembly, before my snappy bit driver became a home tool I used it all the time for dash reassembly, every screw was the same torque more or less. Now it's a $300 Ikea furniture assembly tool, but hey at least I finally got my GF to use my little pink tool. I actually prefer to get pink tools when they're available from the truck guys, they're easier to find, less likely to be borrowed, and often times after whichever cancer month they're on sale.

34 minutes ago, Bitter said:

And there's loctite on them too, right? I meant for assembly, before my snappy bit driver became a home tool I used it all the time for dash reassembly, every screw was the same torque more or less. Now it's a $300 Ikea furniture assembly tool, but hey at least I finally got my GF to use my little pink tool. I actually prefer to get pink tools when they're available from the truck guys, they're easier to find, less likely to be borrowed, and often times after whichever cancer month they're on sale.

No loctite... they take a PH3 bit, milwaukee 1/4 impact driver, and me putting a ton of downward force on it in order for them to come out. Some don't fight me too much, others its a good 5 seconds of impacting before its convinced to loosen up.

On 7/5/2022 at 4:33 PM, butchbottom said:

what is the warranty expected to be like for the LTT screwdriver?

IIRC, in a recent WAN show they said the eventual cosmetic wear on the black-shaft model of the screwdriver will not be covered under warranty, for example.

I would expect them to stand behind their products as they always do, but unless it's a manufacturer defect, I would not anticipate that they would cover end-user abuse.

On 3/29/2022 at 7:51 PM, Imbadatnames said:

Honestly $70 is a bit expensive. I can get a full Makita 227 piece kit for just a little bit more?

Yeah the screwdriver just seems really over priced for what it is.

Im fine with my i fix it kit....

1 hour ago, CK637 said:

IIRC, in a recent WAN show they said the eventual cosmetic wear on the black-shaft model of the screwdriver will not be covered under warranty, for example.

I would expect them to stand behind their products as they always do, but unless it's a manufacturer defect, I would not anticipate that they would cover end-user abuse.

cosmetic wear is never covered under any tool warranty, from what im aware. what is nice about the snap on truck is that i can take a 50 year old broken screwdriver to my truck guy, and he just takes it and gives me a new one without much bother. Im not expecting that at all from LTT, however it would be nice to know the ratcheting mechanism is covered for any amount of time. as well as any functional parts of the driver.

Is it out yet? Can I throw my money at Linus and help him with his cash flow problem?