LTT Screwdriver

Imbadatnames
1 minute ago, James Evens said:

@DaveMath First it will be made in Canada with some oversee components. Not sure if they are from China.

Second there is China and China. There are high quality products from China but most is still low quality/cheap as possible. 

Want some example? It is infrequent that you run into a serious problem with datasheets from western companies and if most of them are interested to understand the problem and fix the specification or production. With China it is just normal that datasheets don't match reality. Companies there also don't care at all about those issues. That's why you need constant oversight and validation.

So which "China" is LTT sourcing from?

The black shaft will be available for "a short time" after launch. Nice to have an option. Linus also stated he was set on using stainless steel for the shaft in the WAN show, so that explains why other options weren't considered.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

3 hours ago, James Evens said:

That's the issue. A lot of those tools are indeed overpriced. Thankfully with online shopping you can get it cheaper.

You can buy a snap-on tool from the late 1980's at a garage sale that's beat up, broken, and doesn't work, take it to a tool truck, and get it exchanged for a functional tool, with an intact lifetime warranty.

Might be overpriced, but you will be able to get it repaired or replaced until well after you're dead.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

4 hours ago, DaveMath said:

So which "China" is LTT sourcing from?

China makes bargain shit, as well as fairly high-end stuff, too.  Just matters who you get to make it.

LTT isn't getting an 8$ kit made, so it's actually good.

Do people consider iphones to be shit because they're made in china?  No, they don't.

26 minutes ago, tkitch said:

China makes bargain shit, as well as fairly high-end stuff, too.  Just matters who you get to make it.

LTT isn't getting an 8$ kit made, so it's actually good.

Do people consider iphones to be shit because they're made in china?  No, they don't.

I do consider iphones $hit but that's besides the point.

Depending on order amount, LMG might get them for $6 a pop and sell them for a 1000%+ profit.

Obviously more time has went into this screw driver than elder scrolls 6 which affects their R&D time (apparently 1 person), We don't know.

In the RC car hobby it's been proven time again and again that crappy screwdrivers are the Devil's A$$hole.  

Everytime someone new gets in the hobby they ask about which set of screwdrivers to buy and when they are told MIP and the price they freak out.  They go buy the chinesium stuff and regret it after the second time they use the driver it breaks, the tip gets wore down or they start stripping bolts because the fit is off.  

I wonder if @LinusTechwould be interested in some long term testing in the underground mining environment. If it’s going to break or rust, we’ll find it down there. Ammonia based explosives. Everything rusts and ages way quicker than normal. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

I was a little confused by the first mail, that you cannot make steel black without coating. Because you definitly can. It is called steel bluing. This process turns the outer most iron of the steel into black iron oxyde. As I understand it, this is pretty durable amd in theory even when you scratch it hard enugh repairable.

@LinusTech maybe look into this. Or maybe you did, but the way the mail was written it did not sound like it. Or it is too expensive, but with this price I don't think it is a great concern.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_(steel)?wprov=sfla1

On 6/18/2022 at 3:23 AM, vetali said:

The black shaft will be available for "a short time" after launch. Nice to have an option. Linus also stated he was set on using stainless steel for the shaft in the WAN show, so that explains why other options weren't considered.

They should just use tungsten carbide the dummies. More durable than stainless and is dark grey. 

3 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

They should just use tungsten carbide the dummies. More durable than stainless and is dark grey. 

Isn't it more brittle? 

25 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Isn't it more brittle? 

It’s more brittle that steel but unless you’re in the habit of using a screwdriver as a hammer then you’re good. It’s good for masonry bits in hammer drills so would suspect a screwdriver wouldn’t have issues. 

48 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

It’s more brittle that steel but unless you’re in the habit of using a screwdriver as a hammer then you’re good. It’s good for masonry bits in hammer drills so would suspect a screwdriver wouldn’t have issues. 

I expect "someone" to drop it a lot, and I expect many customers to abuse it.

4 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

I expect "someone" to drop it a lot, and I expect many customers to abuse it.

Dropping won’t cause it issue, breaking it would involve abuse that would also deform steel. Have to remember they use it for drill bits, chisels and armour piercing rounds.  

21 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Carbide is a lot more brittle.

Dropping a carbide milling bit onto concreate is enough to destroy it while HSS would most likely be fine or repairable/recoverable.

It’s not that brittle dude 

14 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Have you actually worked with carbide bits or just assumption?

I’ve worked with them? They’re also the second choice after DU for armour piercing rounds, if it survives hitting armour plates upon impact at Mach 2 I think it’ll do fine against the floor at Mach 0.03

I have broken them by dropping them, I have also seen a wedding ring made from tungsten carbide break from pressure from a bench vice that really wasnt much force, I wouldnt be confident in having the shaft of a screwdriver that could easily be dropped semi-often made from it. Also I am not sure about the cost of it, that might be preventive as well?

1 hour ago, Ravendarat said:

I have broken them by dropping them, I have also seen a wedding ring made from tungsten carbide break from pressure from a bench vice that really wasnt much force, I wouldnt be confident in having the shaft of a screwdriver that could easily be dropped semi-often made from it. Also I am not sure about the cost of it, that might be preventive as well?

Drill bits aren’t made from pure tungsten carbide they’re normally just tipped in it. The tip survives hammering into ceramic better than steel but that’s more heat related. Again it’s used to penetrate chobham type armour because steel has issues getting through it. Actually penetrates better than DU rounds but DU rounds are pyrophoric, therefore more nasty which makes them the 1st choice. 

Can’t really speak to the quality of rings. Only really see tungsten with “ceramic” decoration from reputable jewellers not carbide. Most of the online “carbide” ones are fairly cheap which indicates to me that they’re not actually tungsten carbide. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the VOD on the WAN show, and Linus brought up how people were nitpicking the social media post earlier this week on the screwdriver. These people have never seen a Snap On screwdriver being warrantied if they think the handle is gonna separate from the shaft. Snap On uses a much less aggressive shaft shape that goes into the handle. When they replace the shaft under warranty they literally stick it in a vice then hammer off the handle with a rubber dampener or block of wood. Then hammer the handle on a new shaft.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

I feel bad that they've essentially endured 2 years of abuse because a lot of people in their customer base don't understand the difference between something being expensive because it's high quality and 'overpriced' because they see no value in anything beyond $15.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

8 hours ago, vetali said:

Watching the VOD on the WAN show, and Linus brought up how people were nitpicking the social media post earlier this week on the screwdriver. These people have never seen a Snap On screwdriver being warrantied if they think the handle is gonna separate from the shaft. Snap On uses a much less aggressive shaft shape that goes into the handle. When they replace the shaft under warranty they literally stick it in a vice then hammer off the handle with a rubber dampener or block of wood. Then hammer the handle on a new shaft.

I've pulled the handle off my Snap-on long flex head comfort grip ratchet several times. I warrantied that once for that and then the new handle slipped off twice in one week, I fixed it myself by putting some epoxy putty in the handle and pressing it on with the shop press. It has not come off since then. Some adhesive may not be a bad idea...if this were a tool you'd be cranking out 150lb/ft of torque with and pulling on but it's just not. If you're pulling the handle off a ratcheting screw driver you're doing it on purpose or you're trying to use it to split logs or something.

11 hours ago, saint_louis_bagels said:

I feel bad that they've essentially endured 2 years of abuse because a lot of people in their customer base don't understand the difference between something being expensive because it's high quality and 'overpriced' because they see no value in anything beyond $15.

Thats an issue with everything as well. Good example is when we quote out tires at our shop, we pick reputable brands that ride quiet. They cost significantly more than the cheaper ones but result in less comebacks. The customer will decline, go to the hack job tire shop down the road and slap on some of the cheapest offshore made tires they can find. Then they'll come back complaining of road noise/vibration.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

I've pulled the handle off my Snap-on long flex head comfort grip ratchet several times. I warrantied that once for that and then the new handle slipped off twice in one week, I fixed it myself by putting some epoxy putty in the handle and pressing it on with the shop press. It has not come off since then. Some adhesive may not be a bad idea...if this were a tool you'd be cranking out 150lb/ft of torque with and pulling on but it's just not. If you're pulling the handle off a ratcheting screw driver you're doing it on purpose or you're trying to use it to split logs or something.

Yeah the screwdrivers are only good for a couple replacements, you are only able to pull off maybe 10-20 ft lb of break away torque without leverage and only your hand before it slips in your hand. Its not a big deal.

42 minutes ago, vetali said:

Thats an issue with everything as well. Good example is when we quote out tires at our shop, we pick reputable brands that ride quiet. They cost significantly more than the cheaper ones but result in less comebacks. The customer will decline, go to the hack job tire shop down the road and slap on some of the cheapest offshore made tires they can find. Then they'll come back complaining of road noise/vibration.

Yeah the screwdrivers are only good for a couple replacements, you are only able to pull off maybe 10-20 ft lb of break away torque without leverage and only your hand before it slips in your hand. Its not a big deal.

Which is why goid screwdrivers have a hex shank on the base of the shaft so you can get extra leverage WITH OUT damage to the handle. You will never need that kind of torque on PC parts, the screws are too soft to hold anything like 20ftlbs or probably even 10ftlbs without camming out or sheering off.

13 hours ago, saint_louis_bagels said:

Im literally holding off going to a bunnings to buy a ratcheting screwdriver to get an LTT one. That warranty is a massive sticking point though. After shipping ill be at around $120AUD.

kinchrome has one for $48AUD that im very familiar with because the handle is near identical to my flexi head 3/8 and is quite nice to use… plus with a powerpass it takes about 30 seconds to go to a store and exchange for one that isnt broken, if it breaks (shoutout to my 4 Ryobi recip saws)

the bar is set high, and that warranty is the only thing that stops me committing 100%. You will ALWAYS have the odd outlier that wont perform as expected and i really dont wanna be the one who gets that when im literally on the other side of the world and probably underneath my car at 2am fixing something (i drive 10-16hrs a day for a living)

8B42E47D-1613-4011-A53F-D0F9EB329CA6.jpeg

3 minutes ago, volatus146 said:

Im literally holding off going to a bunnings to buy a ratcheting screwdriver to get an LTT one. That warranty is a massive sticking point though. After shipping ill be at around $120AUD.

kinchrome has one for $48AUD that im very familiar with because the handle is near identical to my flexi head 3/8 and is quite nice to use… plus with a powerpass it takes about 30 seconds to go to a store and exchange for one that isnt broken, if it breaks (shoutout to my 4 Ryobi recip saws)

the bar is set high, and that warranty is the only thing that stops me committing 100%. You will ALWAYS have the odd outlier that wont perform as expected and i really dont wanna be the one who gets that when im literally on the other side of the world and probably underneath my car at 2am fixing something (i drive 10-16hrs a day for a living)

8B42E47D-1613-4011-A53F-D0F9EB329CA6.jpeg

GM Turbo engine?

28 minutes ago, volatus146 said:

How many things are you going to be doing underneath your car with a ratcheting screwdriver?