Epic Games acquires Bandcamp

poochyena

Summary

Epic Games acquires Bandcamp

Quotes

Today the game maker moved to acquire Bandcamp, an online music-streaming service that revolves around DRM-free purchases of MP3s, FLACs, and other audio files. The news emerged via press releases from both Bandcamp and Epic on Wednesday. As of press time, neither side of the deal has clarified its financial terms.

The move follows increasingly aggressive steps by Epic to become an entirely new kind of digital media company in the near future.

My thoughts

This is the most disappointing news I have heard in months in the tech space. I love bandcamp, its one of the few places you can buy high quality music files without paying a premium. Why would Epic want bandcamp?

Sources

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/03/epic-games-begins-to-show-its-more-than-games-acquires-bandcamp/

13 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Why would Epic want bandcamp?

I think the boring answer is "money wants to buy things" (especially profitable or otherwise exploitable things).

Guess I should probably snap up those few EPs I'm been procrastinating on buying...

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

I think we should wait and see what Epic does with bandcamp before crying and saying bandcamp is ruined. 

Who knows, maybe the service will stay the same or maybe even get better? 

I think Epic has done a ton of great things with their game store and I genuinely don't understand all the resentment people have against them. 

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I genuinely don't understand all the resentment people have against them. 

Exclusivity deals. Thats generally what people have against them iirc

✨FNIGE✨

12 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I think we should wait and see what Epic does with bandcamp before crying and saying bandcamp is ruined. 

I think Epic has done a ton of great things with their game store and I genuinely don't understand all the resentment people have against them. 

Bandcamp is the place for indie musicians as far as I'm aware, so a big corporation buying it up just really ruins much of the appeal to it for me. Its like buying fruit and vegetables at Walmart vs buying them at a farmers market. I'm worried they'll do what Etsy did when they got a new CEO, turn the marketplace from a chill space for small business owners to sell what they made, to being hyper competitive, turning you against other sellers, and trying to maximize profits as much as possible to compete against big players like amazon, and anyone who don't want to aggressively compete gets blacklisted.

7 minutes ago, FnigePython said:

Exclusivity deals. Thats generally what people have against them iirc

Yeah exclusivity deals are not exactly great, but is that really it? 

All stores on the PC, including Steam, has that. If that's the worst they have done then they are essentially saints. 

19 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I think Epic has done a ton of great things with their game store and I genuinely don't understand all the negativity surrounding them. 

It's because they're not Valve and because gamers have an irrational hatred for all other launchers that aren't Steam for some reason. Same with Uplay, EA Desktop (formerly Origin) et al. Neither of those ever bothered me to any degree. Is it DRM? Sure. But so is that USB dongle Steinberg forces me to permanently sacrifice a USB port to in addition to having to run their licensing app that makes sure that I'm really allowed to use Cubase. And all of those game launchers are vastly less intrusive and infinitely more useful, even with multiple launchers starting a conga line of DRM checks whenever you start a game, which I guess is another common criticism. One DRM scheme is apparently ok, but as soon as there's a second one, it crosses a line for some people.

I'm not ready to proclaim Epic the second coming of Christ at this point, they're as much a corporation as Valve and therefore inherently adversarial to me as a customer. But they're also not Satan incarnate, despite their aggressive exclusivity deals, which hoenstly don't bother me. I got the Tony Hawk 1 + 2 remaster on there because it's exclusive to them, in addition to over 200 free games at this point. That's more than fair. 

That being said, without knowing what Epic's actual endgame here is with Bandcamp, it's not worth speculating over it. That goes doubly for that news article from ars technica that really has a gonzo slant to it that is entirely unwarranted.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

36 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Exclusivity nonsense.
Tier F support.

Store that doesn't have a basket?

Store that doesn't have gifting?

No user reviews.
No game community pages / forums.

No user market.

No Linux support.

Constantly falling behind on their roadmap.

Dozens of other small features missing I won't even bother naming.

Great things, you mean lower sale cut and gifting games to users (buying their way into the market)?

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

Well, so long as it doesn't get turned into a storming subscription service or introduce changes that hurt producers, I'm fine. But having a tech giant breathing down your back is a tad going to be annoying

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

57 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Well, so long as it doesn't get turned into a storming subscription service or introduce changes that hurt producers, I'm fine. But having a tech giant breathing down your back is a tad going to be annoying

If the tech based companies start to buy up and change all the music services like bandcamp, distrokid etc,  then new musicians will be back in that awkward spot just after naptser where you can't make money on the internet and the big boys won't let you into the spot light for a chance.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, Biohazard777 said:

Exclusivity nonsense.
Tier F support.

No user reviews.

No user market.

No Linux support.

Great things, you mean lower sale cut and gifting games to users (buying their way into the market)?

So do I understand you correctly. You think that:

A product missing features = the company behind the product is cartoonisly evil and should be mistrusted? 

A product missing features = the company behind the product is cartoonisly evil and should be mistrusted? 

Im not too sure how you made that connection with what they said at all

✨FNIGE✨

I think some people are resentful that epic is choosing to compete by trying to force people onto their platform in the way of exclusives which tbh sorta makes sense by human nature. Nobody wants to feel like they are being forced to use a certain service. On top of that they aren't adding features that would make the platform better and rather doing exclusives and free games to try and buy people into using their platform. 

25 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You're completely ignoring their first point of Epic doing exclusivity deals, which IMO is terrible for the market, and I think such a company shouldn't be trusted with buying up other companies since they bribe game publishers into only putting titles on EGS, a game launcher that lacks features most other game launchers have like a shopping basket, or even basic features like being able to pause a download.

8 hours ago, Biohazard777 said:

Exclusivity nonsense.
Tier F support.

No user reviews.

No user market.

No Linux support.

They have a cart now, for one. Also, remember when Steam came out with Half-Life 2? It was godawful. It took years for Steam to become decent in the first place and even more years for it to become useful in many other areas and have many of the features you tout. So let's cut someone new entering the market some slack.

And a user market? You know that trading cards and in-game items are basically gen 0 of NFTs, worthless crap for you to buy that Valve gets a cut from every time they get sold, right? Because once the money is in your Steam wallet, it stays there, no way to withdraw it. So any money you do earn on it still eventually goes to Valve. It also caused a massive flood of cheap shitty asset flip games to be put onto Steam because some enterprising people found away to make money by offering up enough trading cards that even if they only sold them for a few pennies, the sheer volume would make it worthwhile. Being on Steam used to be a privilege for good games until Greenlight came along and Valve later dropped the requirements down to a payment of $100. Try looking through new releases these days and find something worthwhile that isn't a perpetual best-seller or a game with a big marketing push behind it. Discoverability is shit on Steam.

And don't forget the godawful partnership they entered Bethesda to provide paid mods, trying to strong-arm themselves into a hitherto free market to try and make a profit for themselves under the guise of "rewarding mod creators". At least Epic don't actively hurt the people making content by trying to strong-arm themselves into the storefront market with exclusives. 

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Biohazard777 said:

Exclusivity nonsense.
Tier F support.

No user reviews.

No user market.

No Linux support.

ok some of those are a problem........

but

- giving away free games, i wont complain, helps my bank balance when i cant afford a game.

- no linux support ?? well true but you can use heroic launcher and that can be used on linux with either your wine build or proton as simple as looking in settings for the game (pretty sure one of my video's shows me swapping between wine version 5 and proton 6.3.8 to get the game to launch )

- I DO however have to log-in via web browser to acquire the games and go to check out ..... but then i just have to re-fresh heroic launcher to start installing

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

10 hours ago, poochyena said:

Why would Epic want bandcamp?

I was also scratching my head, and then a thought popped into my head...

Music/sound packs in the UE developer store?
Could be pretty cool for small devs using UE, as well as small musicians that could do with a bit of extra income & exposure.

10 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

It's because they're not Valve and because gamers have an irrational hatred for all other launchers that aren't Steam for some reason. Same with Uplay, EA Desktop (formerly Origin) et al. Neither of those ever bothered me to any degree. Is it DRM? Sure. But so is that USB dongle Steinberg forces me to permanently sacrifice a USB port to in addition to having to run their licensing app that makes sure that I'm really allowed to use Cubase. And all of those game launchers are vastly less intrusive and infinitely more useful, even with multiple launchers starting a conga line of DRM checks whenever you start a game, which I guess is another common criticism. One DRM scheme is apparently ok, but as soon as there's a second one, it crosses a line for some people.

I'm not ready to proclaim Epic the second coming of Christ at this point, they're as much a corporation as Valve and therefore inherently adversarial to me as a customer. But they're also not Satan incarnate, despite their aggressive exclusivity deals, which hoenstly don't bother me. I got the Tony Hawk 1 + 2 remaster on there because it's exclusive to them, in addition to over 200 free games at this point. That's more than fair. 

That being said, without knowing what Epic's actual endgame here is with Bandcamp, it's not worth speculating over it. That goes doubly for that news article from ars technica that really has a gonzo slant to it that is entirely unwarranted.

????????????

It's because they're not Valve and because gamers have an irrational hatred for all other launchers that aren't Steam for some reason.

It's not for "some reason",when you have dozens of launchers that publishers force you to install even if you bought through steam or because their games are exclusive to their launcher is extremely annoying.

I don't want to install the dreaded Rockstar launcher (which is awfully bad) just to Max Payne 3 which i bought on Steam,

I don't want to install Battle .Net just for playing Call of Duty Warzone.

Same with Uplay

It's Ubisoft Connect,Uplay is no more.

EA Desktop (formerly Origin) et al.

EA Desktop and Origin are different things...

They co-exist with Origin being the main product.

Neither of those ever bothered me to any degree.

Origin and Ubisoft Connect are OK,

I don't have an issue with them either as long as i am not forced to use their launcher on top of Steam. (For example a lot of EA Games on steam do just that)

Is it DRM? Sure. But so is that USB dongle Steinberg forces me to permanently sacrifice a USB port to in addition to having to run their licensing app that makes sure that I'm really allowed to use Cubase.

That's not the issue,On Steam they already Steam's DRM (which is applied to any Steam game out there with no exceptions).

And all of those game launchers are vastly less intrusive and infinitely more useful,

I don't want to install a different launcher for every game i play...

Grand Theft Auto V - Rockstar Launcher

Skyrim Special Edition - Bethesda Launcher

Battlefield 4 - Origin

Call of Duty Warzone - Battle.net

Fortnite - Epic Games Store

Counter Strike Global Offensive - Steam

It's freaking frustrating!

One DRM scheme is apparently ok, but as soon as there's a second one, it crosses a line for some people.

As long as it's not an inconvenience it's OK,

Having to launch two launchers just to play a game is annyoing.

I'm not ready to proclaim Epic the second coming of Christ at this point, they're as much a corporation as Valve and therefore inherently adversarial to me as a customer.

No,Valve is different,they genuinely care about the customer and one of the most pro consumer corporations on earth.

That's why people call Valve's CEO Lord GabeN!

He really cares and it shows!

The people in the community really like him and that includes me as well!

But they're also not Satan incarnate, despite their aggressive exclusivity deals, which hoenstly don't bother me. I got the Tony Hawk 1 + 2 remaster on there because it's exclusive to them, in addition to over 200 free games at this point. That's more than fair. 

Steam is the preferable game store of most people including me,

I just want to play my games on my preferable store and exclusivity deals like that just hamper it - That's the issue.

People are afraid that Epic will mess Bandcamp up and it won't be the Bandcamp they knew and loved anymore.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

You didn't understand correctly.

First of all, why are you putting words in my mouth: "cartoonishly evil"? I didn't call them that. I replied to this:

10 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Please don't do that. I am not ridiculing you, don't ridicule me.

They've already shown their true colors with exclusivity / timed exclusivity BS. 

Smaller cut (12% EGS) compared to (30% Steam) is all great on paper for the consumer, competition is good.
But as things are it ain't a competition, EGS dumping prices while offering sh** tier support and  poor software solution isn't competition.

I don't want that kind of competition, I don't want sh** services for less money... Also funny thing about that, at the end of the day that price cut difference usually isn't paid by the end user but by some high position executives not getting hefty bonuses (Randy Pitchford comes to mind). But even if it did mean that I would be the one paying the the difference between 12% and 30%, I will gladly pay it and get all that Steam has to offer.
Here are few things I didn't list but I'll include now:
- Remote Play Together
- Game stats and APIs that are actually useful for the consumer, like info about daily player count for a game... because if I am buying a 3yo MP only game I would like to know if there are people actually playing it or not.

I've provided dozens of arguments with which you can agree / disagree / disprove, that is fine... but please no more childish "Valve fanboy" / "Epic hater" nonsense.

Now, if you could please answer my question: What great things has Epic done?

-------------------------------------

1 hour ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

They have a cart now, for one.

Good. Should have been there from day one, but better late than never.

Also, remember when Steam came out with Half-Life 2? It was godawful. It took years for Steam to become decent in the first place and even more years for it to become useful in many other areas and have many of the features you tout. So let's cut someone new entering the market some slack.

It was a shit show, I agree, but also let us not forget they pretty much pioneered the whole store / launcher thing. Software and tools on top of which Steam and EGS are built on top of are a lot different, lots has changed for the better for software devs since 2003.
As for cutting EGS slack, sorry no can do, partly because it is objectively easier to develop software in 2018, partly because they surely aren't lacking budget to make a decent product but instead are prioritizing on stuff like exclusives and free games to buy into the market.

And a user market? You know that trading cards and in-game items are basically gen 0 of NFTs, worthless crap for you to buy that Valve gets a cut from every time they get sold, right? 

Was market abused by some, for sure, but at the same time I had fun buying and selling my CS:GO skins. I am well aware Valve got a cut from each sale, if you don't like that system then don't use it, it wasn't a requirement in order to play the games that supported the steam market.

Because once the money is in your Steam wallet, it stays there, no way to withdraw it.

Yeah, again, well aware of that. Can you cash out VBucks / Fortnite skins?

I didn't call out Epic over VBucks or microtransactions... but as it is now, you can't trade or buy / sell skins with other people in Fortnite (if I am not mistaken). That feature simply ain't there. If you dislike the feature fine don't use it, but for some of us it is a good feature.

Being on Steam used to be a privilege for good games until Greenlight came along and Valve later dropped the requirements down to a payment of $100. Try looking through new releases these days and find something worthwhile that isn't a perpetual best-seller or a game with a big marketing push behind it. Discoverability is shit on Steam.

Agreed, Steam is starting to look more and more like Google Play when it comes to discoverability and shameless asset flips. They could and should do better on that front.
That being said, I don't see how Epic is "doing great" things in that regard... I can't even glance over user reviews to quickly filter out at least some of the trash quickly.

Here, let's take a look at "Wife Quest":

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.e8ba50f9ff7532122e1b7c21a3bf9c3d.png

No Reviews (should be between Follow Us and Specification)... because OpenCritic draws a blank on this game.
Meanwhile on Steam:

Spoiler

image.png.118e6f0b349ecb6db3c3e35621a33acb.png

Oh and I don't play retro platformers... nor am into these anime tidies, so great discovery over at Epic for me.

And don't forget the godawful partnership they entered Bethesda to provide paid mods, trying to strong-arm themselves into a hitherto free market to try and make a profit for themselves under the guise of "rewarding mod creators". At least Epic don't actively hurt the people making content by trying to strong-arm themselves into the storefront market with exclusives. 

Would Valve profit from a cut of sold mods, for sure... Would it have led to better user generated content given enough time to mature, we will never know. What rolled out was piss poor and backlash was well deserved.

^ not a crypto wallet

50 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Battlefield 4 - Origin

So basically just a single launcher for all games would be preferable? Like a single app store?

3 minutes ago, mecarry30 said:

So basically just a single launcher for all games would be preferable? Like a single app store?

It would be the most user friendly, but same as in the hardware space, competition is always a good thing and especially needed in the digital distribution market.

Everyone has exclusives, they make those deals to gain relevance over their competitors. I read people complain about the free (paid) games that Epic provides. Well, I don't complain about free games, especially when we get really good (and costly) title once in a while. I haven't ever gotten anything from Valve.

The Epic Games Store is lacking features, there's no denying, but comparing it against Steam, which has a 15-year advantage, is unrealistic.

As for bandcamp, I don't think too much (or anything) will change with the platform.

NZXT S340 | Ryzen 7 5900X | B550 AORUS PRO V2 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200 | RTX 4070
Nintendo Switch (2x), Nintendo *New* 3DS, PSP-1000, PSP-2000 (Crisis Core Limited Edition)

MacBook Pro 14 (2021), 16GB RAM, 512GB ROM

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

It's not for "some reason",when you have dozens of launchers that publishers force you to install even if you bought through steam or because their games are exclusive to their launcher is extremely annoying.

First world problem if I've ever heard of one. Did you know that there are games you can't get on any of the launchers and have to manually track down, install and even update? This is just whining on an elevated level.

That's not the issue,On Steam they already Steam's DRM (which is applied to any Steam game out there with no exceptions).

Which is very easily broken. Hence the additional layers. And no, this isn't to excuse DRM. This is an explanation.

Battlefield 4 - Origin

Oh woe is me, for I have to launch two applications to play a game. Cry me a river.

No,Valve is different,they genuinely care about the customer and one of the most pro consumer corporations on earth.

That's why people call Valve's CEO Lord GabeN!

He really cares and it shows!

The people in the community really like him and that includes me as well!

No they fucking don't. They care about money and it just so happens that this objective currently aligns with what customers want from them. I hope this is a failed attempt at sarcasm that I'm not getting, because if it isn't, this is just sad.

Steam is the preferable game store of most people including me,

I just want to play my games on my preferable store and exclusivity deals like that just hamper it - That's the issue.

And I would love to be able to do all my shopping at a single store but unfortunately not every store carries every item in the world for me to buy it at one single convenient location. Why can't I buy Target's inventory at Walmart? Never mind that this wish for a single unified place to get everything is basically a tacit push for monopolization. And you certainly wouldn't want that.

45 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

As for cutting EGS slack, sorry no can do, partly because it is objectively easier to develop software in 2018, partly because they surely aren't lacking budget to make a decent product but instead are prioritizing on stuff like exclusives and free games to buy into the market.

That's just petty.

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

2 hours ago, cretsiah said:

- no linux support ?? well true but you can use heroic launcher and that can be used on linux with either your wine build or proton as simple as looking in settings for the game (pretty sure one of my video's shows me swapping between wine version 5 and proton 6.3.8 to get the game to launch )

- I DO however have to log-in via web browser to acquire the games and go to check out ..... but then i just have to re-fresh heroic launcher to start installing

Yeah I know about open source projects like Heroic and Legendary, I was talking about EGS specifically and Epic... they don't officially support it. Heroic and Legendary are not made by Epic, it is made by regular people like you and me, volunteering their time and effort.

2 hours ago, cretsiah said:

but

- giving away free games, i wont complain, helps my bank balance when i cant afford a game.

Frankly, vast majority of games they hand out aren't that good. Those that are good are usually old, I've had most of them already or could have bought them elsewhere heavily discounted, very few of them were new good titles... and even with those few new good titles usualy had are some problems, like timed exclusive nonsense (like WWZ) or base game only and to get the full story buy some DLCs (from Epic, like Remnant or Control) which don't get me wrong isn't as bad, but still something to consider.
Anyhow yeah, I can't argue that for the consumers giving out free stuff is always good hah. EGS is a very interesting entry point for new PC gamers, especially if they procure said accounts with all the previous games from certain places for cheap. But for older gamers, like me... honestly the value I've received from free games isn't that big or important.

34 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

That's just petty.

I believe it is objective. As someone who has developed software for a long time I said that developing software in early 2000s was harder than it was in late 2010s. You are also a developer if I am not mistaken, you disagree with my observation?
Also they had 3+ years to fix their stuff. Seriously they could have made new EGS from scratch in those 3+ years with more features than it has now, even with Covid slowing them down. Which begs the question, are some of those user oriented features not implemented on purpose? Or is the team working on EGS understaffed / underfunded or  incompetent?

^ not a crypto wallet

18 hours ago, LAwLz said:

They turned a perfectly playable game on Steam into an unplayable game if you don't have an Epic Games account (Fallguys) and pulled a game from Steam after it was already released (Rocket League). They're backsliding on the support of the products they bought (also Rocket League) by effectively dropping Linux and Mac support.

And overall they're just a really shitty company. I hate Epic's timed exclusives and I hate timed exclusives in general. I hate what they did with Fall Guys and I tried to have Valve refund my copy, they refused. I hate what they did with Rocket League and Valve at that time did refund me for Rocket League.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

49 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

First world problem if I've ever heard of one.

That doesn't make it less of an issue.

But more importantly - What is the logic behind this comment of yours?

You can use that sentence to try invalidating many issues,

But it's unreasonable to use,i could use it against your argument.

There are hungry people in Africa and you argue with me about such trivial matters? - First world problems...

Do you see how unreasonable it is to use that sentence?

Which is very easily broken. Hence the additional layers. And no, this isn't to excuse DRM. This is an explanation.

The Epic Games,Origin,Ubisoft Connect,etc DRMs are as easily broken as Steam's.

A lot of publishers use third party DRMs because the DRM of the launchers don't give much protection, Denuvo,VMProtect are examples for that.

Oh woe is me, for I have to launch two applications to play a game. Cry me a river.

You are just being disrespectful at this point,completely disregarding the issue and then ridiculing me.

No they fucking don't. They care about money and it just so happens that this objective currently aligns with what customers want from them. I hope this is a failed attempt at sarcasm that I'm not getting, because if it isn't, this is just sad.

With such stubbornness there is no point in continuing this argument.

And I would love to be able to do all my shopping at a single store but unfortunately not every store carries every item in the world for me to buy it at one single convenient location. Why can't I buy Target's inventory at Walmart?

Third party and first party products are different things.

Just like you can't get Counter Strike Global Offensive on the Epic Game Store,you can't get Fortnite on Steam even though those stores do offer third party titles.

But third party titles are a different matter,they can be released everywhere.

Imagine Cheetos or Coca Cola announcing an exclusivity deal with Walmart for an entire year but you prefer to buy your Cheetos at target...

Never mind that this wish for a single unified place to get everything is basically a tacit push for monopolization. And you certainly wouldn't want that.

Competition is a good thing,but exclusivity deals are just dirty.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566