LTT TikTok on Youtube

rednaX99
Go to solution Solved by danomicar,

This style of video is wildly popular at the moment. Why wouldn't a media company (For instance, LMG) want to be involved in that?

I'm asking prior to unsubscription that LTT not put out any of these tiktok cash grab style 10 second videos ruining my daily watch of my subs.

At least make a separate LTT Shorts channel I can remove myself from. 

LTT is the only channel of a high quality which presents a problem with getting rid of them from my OLED daily viewing as you keep sneaking them into your main channels, but enough is enough. 
I want to remain subscribed but you're making it difficult, and ultimately I am asking myself if LTT thinks it's above that decision being made by viewers.

When your inbox is filled with spam you need only take a week to unsubscribe from most spam as it comes in as most spam is weekly,  and what remains should be mostly legitimate. LTT is still spamming me. 

I beg of you, I don't want LTT to be just another random review video I watch when I get a new device you review has come to market, but like any relationship that becomes shitty you deserve to at least know why I've fallen out of love. 

Interestingly, I've never watched one of their shorts. Never had them show up in my suggested or my auto play. 

Didn't know they were a thing until you mentioned them. 

I guess YouTube really does show you more of what you watch.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

17 minutes ago, rednaX99 said:

I'm asking prior to unsubscription that LTT not put out any of these tiktok cash grab style 10 second videos ruining my daily watch of my subs.

LTT is the only channel of a high quality which presents a problem with getting rid of them from my OLED daily viewing as you keep sneaking them into your main channels, but enough is enough. 
I want to remain subscribed but you're making it difficult, and ultimately I am asking myself if LTT thinks it's above that decision being made by viewers.

When your inbox is filled with spam you need only take a week to unsubscribe from most spam as it comes in as most spam is weekly,  and what remains should be mostly legitimate. LTT is still spamming me. 

I beg of you, I don't want LTT to be just another random review video I watch when I get a new device you review has come to market, but like any relationship that becomes shitty you deserve to at least know why I've fallen out of love. 

If they're in your subscription feed, then that's "working as intended" - if your default YT view is the general channel search one, just remove LMG videos from you recommendations by r/clicking them.

IF, however, you're YouTubing on a mobile device - more specifically a 'mobile phone' - then that's a burden I have no wish to live with, as I do all my "internet-ing" on a PC.

Either way, it's a "you" issue...

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

4 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

If they're in your subscription feed, then that's "working as intended" - if your default YT view is the general channel search one, just remove LMG videos from you recommendations by r/clicking them.

IF, however, you're YouTubing on a mobile device - more specifically a 'mobile phone' - then that's a burden I have no wish to live with, as I do all my "internet-ing" on a PC.

Either way, it's a "you" issue...

Hardly a "me" issue. 

They queue up in my daily playlist of subs on my fold, on my XPS, and on my TV. 
LTT also take a very different editorial approach in which it's mostly shot with a phone and a loud soundtrack at medium to high volume. 

This is an LTT editorial issue, nothing to do with those of us who've been subscribers for well over a decade. As a content publisher with YouTube I'm also badgered by their continual persuasion that I create and upload this kind of content, trying to tease me with with a certain percentage of "guaranteed" Youtube Red  adsense revenue for my efforts. 
If I wanted to create, publish and view vertical short form videos I would surely move to a platform that focused on it. Similarly if I wanted a social media based platform I would go to Facebook, not Google pages, which also was an abject failure from the word go. 

How are your G+ pages doing by the way?

5 minutes ago, rednaX99 said:

Hardly a "me" issue. 

Linus had mentioned there was some benefits to posting shorts, I believe the algorithm helped share channels more when they posted shorts. That is why alot of creators post them every so often.

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

8 minutes ago, Tamesh16 said:

Linus had mentioned there was some benefits to posting shorts, I believe the algorithm helped share channels more when they posted shorts. That is why alot of creators post them every so often.

When will the algorithm present an episode of bock kwaks? 

19 minutes ago, rednaX99 said:

When will the algorithm present an episode of bock kwaks? 

Monday, Wednesday, Friday, evening EST.

47 minutes ago, rednaX99 said:

You're free to your own opinions of course, but since you posted this here to talk about it, I'm gonna take issue with two points here.

1. "TikTok cash grab style" "LTT is still spamming me."
I can understand if you don't like smaller videos, but saying they are tiktok cash grabs and flat out spam is turning a small thing into a serious offence. I actually prefer having some short videos from time to time. the variety enhances my viewing experience. I have some small videos I can watch when I'm short on time and just need something quick, or I can pull a normal video when I have some more free time. And when I need to just listen to some info in the background, I can watch a WAN video. You may not enjoy them, but I enjoy them a lot and don't find them to be spam or cash grabs. They certainly don't ruin my watching, quite the opposite. And the fact is, a lot of people enjoy the variety and shorter videos. I know this because the algorithm targets it and it does that because it works. 

2. While there is value in discussing preferences and having civil discourse, it seems there's been a recent trend of "I hate this one thing someone does so now I'm gonna call them out for being cash grabs and evil and not caring for their viewers and I'm gonna unsubscribe if you don't change."
First off, it feels over dramatized, why do we feel the need to announce we are leaving? if you have an issue with content, you can certainly address that, but adding that you're gonna leave if it's not done the way you like feels less of a civil debate on content and more of trying to threaten the channel. 

Second, we're not talking about an issue with what's being done in the videos, rather your issue is with the format of a few videos being posted. You seem to still like the rest of the videos, so just ignore the short ones. When you're looking at the site it shows the time, and most of the shorts are in a little side scrolling area you can easily just go past if you don't like them. 

It all just seems stretched out of proportion and posted like it's some kind of threat letter. I don't know if that's how you intended it, but that's how it comes across when I see posts like these. Unfortunately for you, your preferences don't seem to line up with the majority according to the algorithm. I wouldn't count on shorts being removed anytime soon, and I'm personally happy with that. I enjoy them a lot and hope they stay. But if the length of the video genuinely bothers you that much, then feel free to give some discourse about it. Calling it a tiktok cash grab is just using insults without providing context or reasons. It doesn't further any useful discussion or give any ideas of how to make the content better for you. 

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

This style of video is wildly popular at the moment. Why wouldn't a media company (For instance, LMG) want to be involved in that?

Just now, danomicar said:

On TikTok

Fuck this, I'll unsubscribe. 

Enjoy G+ 2.0  and remember this thread.

To be clear, the people on this forum aren't here to defend LTT or anything like that. 

I respect that you want to unsubscribe on principle. But I do also think you're getting a bit carried away. The solution is simply don't watch the LTT Shorts. Don't think that you're making some sort of big stand here. 

@rednaX99 I am just going to point this out, LMG stands for Linus MEDIA Group. LMG will utilize any means of output [business growth] they will in order to take advantage of increase viewership and increased methods revenue. This is no way an ethical or moral thing, it's a business thing, LMG is a For Profit company so that means that if it is an available and attainable venue to increase their outreach they can and will do so. Taking a business decision to increase business as a personal attack and using that to unsubscribe then trying to convince others to do the same is irrelevant and ignorant of you. Now if LMG was doing because they frankly don't care and doing it based on immoral stance, then that would be a practical ground to stand on. But I will tell you, as a former COO and a current business owner, this was a business move. Linus owns the company, but LMG is not Linus. Linus has explained this position many times. I believe him as I have been close enough to his shoes. Growth is growth and as a Smart business it would do well to grab what it can. Businesses must play to its advantages to attain growth, stagnation for a company esp. one like this is bad for business.

This is very simple economics 101, education of ones mind is a good thing. Do not retard your understanding of the world by barricading yourself with opinions and feelings over facts and common sense.

FYI I am defending the LMG business choice on this not Linus so don't confuse the two. Linus is capable of defending himself.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 hours ago, danomicar said:

I see no problem in it, but it should be a different channel. They already have many channels, so idk why they are posting these insta/twitter/tiktok style videos on their main channel. Basically no one goes to youtube to watch videos under 5 minutes anymore.

*** Offtopic removed ***

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Decided to look at LTT's channel for the short videos and holy crap they are so bad. I can understand why OP don't want those videos showing up in their feed.

Sadly, I don't think there is much you can do about it. Complaining on this forum doesn't do much since most people who post here are quite rabid fans, and as a result reacts quite hostile towards people who criticise Linus and the gang.

LMG is a company, and as a result they pretty much only cares about money. The best way to send a message for them to stop is to watch less of their content as long as they keep doing this. I've heard that if you get a lot of thumbs down you get punished in "the algorithm", so opening the video, thumbing it down right away, and then closing the video might be effective. Even if thumbs downs doesn't appear publicly on videos, they still have an effect.

If enough people thumb the videos down then they will stop posting them. If the majority of their viewers respond positively to these videos then they will keep posting them, as they should. If their audience likes it then they should keep posting them. If that is the case then it might just be that people that share your preferences are a small part of their audience and as a result they will not cater to you.

It's important to make your voice heard (by doing things such as thumbing down if you dislike it, or thumb up if you do) so that LMG gets an accurate representation of what their audiences likes or dislikes. 

7 hours ago, poochyena said:

I see no problem in it, but it should be a different channel. They already have many channels, so idk why they are posting these insta/twitter/tiktok style videos on their main channel. Basically no one goes to youtube to watch videos under 5 minutes anymore.

Probably because they will get more views on the regular LTT channel. I doubt they would get 500-900K views if they were on a separate channel.

Sure it might piss of some people like OP, but those extra views are probably worth pissing off a couple of people for. If the benefits to LMG outweighs the drawbacks then they will keep doing it.

Youtube currently very disproportionately rewards shorts, plus they tend to get shown to lots of people outside your usual viewer base so they're kind of essential to use to attract new viewers at this point. 

A small creator I follow who hadn't done shorts yet made some a couple of weeks ago and ironically stopped straight away because they blew up so much that it attracted loads of toxic people to the channel.

8 hours ago, poochyena said:

Basically no one goes to youtube to watch videos under 5 minutes anymore.

Number of views on shorts say the opposite, "nobody" likes them, but then they get more views than a legit video...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

but then they get more views than a legit video...

??
Not the most recent 3, they have much fewer views compared to the videos released the day before and after.

56 minutes ago, poochyena said:

??
Not the most recent 3, they have much fewer views compared to the videos released the day before and after.

I'm saying that's how it goes with shorts in general, not talking of those particular ones. Likely different when the channel usually gets 50-100K views than when it's 10-20x that. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

• 1 month later...

uhhhhhhhhhh buddy you know youtube shorts is a thing right?

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
If my comment helped you please mark it as solution. Refresh before you reply, I edit comments often.

Current PC Spec
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
RAM: XPG D10 White 2x8GB 3200 CL16
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC
Storages: 1x512GB Intel 760P M.2 NVME(boot drive)
1x2TB Umax M1500 Gen4 M.2 NVME(Game storage)
1x1TB Adata SU800 Ultiamte 2.5 inch Sata3 SSD(Game storage)
1x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM CMR drive
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850
Keyboard: Ducky Zero 3108 Cherry MX red
Mouse: Logitech G603 LightSpeed
Headphone: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
Microphone: AVerMedia AM310
Flight stick: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS 3 pack

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Value: $308
  • Games owned: 229
  • Games played: 163 (71%)
  • Hours on record: 4,976.9h

On 1/16/2022 at 8:52 AM, LAwLz said:

1. Complaining on this forum doesn't do much since most people who post here are quite rabid fans, and as a result reacts quite hostile towards people who criticise Linus and the gang.

2. I've heard that if you get a lot of thumbs down you get punished in "the algorithm", so opening the video, thumbing it down right away, and then closing the video might be effective. Even if thumbs downs doesn't appear publicly on videos, they still have an effect.

1. Rabid fans? I barely watch any videos anymore, and I've never been a person to fanboy. Most of the comments I've seen here are in favor of common decency, not rabid fanboyism. It's one thing to genuinely not like the content on a channel, it's another thing to keep posting these goodbye posts being overdramatic and threatening essentially. I think the rabid behavior you should be worried about is having to turn criticism into drama and threats all the time. I think you said it right that he's simply not the majority of the audience in views. Shorts work, people like them, hence the algorithm favoring them. Acting like posting shorts is somehow ruining everything the channels once stood for and treating this like some large betrayal is simply overdramatic. I don't have to be a fan of a company to recognize a customer being overdramatic.

2. This is the rabid behavior that worries me. You are free to have different ideas of quality content. You're allowed to not like what a business is doing. But encouraging people to actively punish a company simply for providing a product you don't like? That's downright mean-spirited. I don't use axe body spray, but I don't go around saying how i'm never gonna use them cuz they stink etc... Now if the company does something immoral, that's one thing. But posting short videos with content you don't like? That's their right as a company to make what you subjectively think is a bad product. Intentionally not watching videos and immediately hitting the thumbs down button to harm them is downright petty behavior and completely uncalled for given they've done nothing but make videos you don't enjoy. it wouldn't be any more appropriate for me to do the same to videos for a youtube makeup channel. I'm not part of the audience, I don't enjoy the content, but the creator hasn't done anything wrong. It would be rude of me to start hurting their metrics on purpose. Legitimate criticism is good and necessary, but using subjective differences in opinion as an excuse to hurt others who have done nothing wrong is in my opinion immoral. That is the rabid behavior that really worries me. 

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

15 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

2. This is the rabid behavior that worries me. You are free to have different ideas of quality content. You're allowed to not like what a business is doing. But encouraging people to actively punish a company simply for providing a product you don't like? That's downright mean-spirited. I don't use axe body spray, but I don't go around saying how i'm never gonna use them cuz they stink etc... Now if the company does something immoral, that's one thing. But posting short videos with content you don't like? That's their right as a company to make what you subjectively think is a bad product. Intentionally not watching videos and immediately hitting the thumbs down button to harm them is downright petty behavior and completely uncalled for given they've done nothing but make videos you don't enjoy. it wouldn't be any more appropriate for me to do the same to videos for a youtube makeup channel. I'm not part of the audience, I don't enjoy the content, but the creator hasn't done anything wrong. It would be rude of me to start hurting their metrics on purpose. Legitimate criticism is good and necessary, but using subjective differences in opinion as an excuse to hurt others who have done nothing wrong is in my opinion immoral. That is the rabid behavior that really worries me. 

Dude, take a deep breath and calm down.

Someone said they didn't like shorts and my suggestion was to either not watch those videos, or if they wanted to send a stronger message, press thumbs down on the video to send the signal that they are not appreciated. 

Thumbing down content you don't like is literally what the thumbs down button is for. All I am saying is, use the tools available to you if you want to send a message to LTT.

If OP is in the minority then LTT has nothing to worry about, because the thumbs up will greatly outweigh the thumbs down.

If they start getting a significant amount of thumbs down then they will adjust the content to cater to what the audience wants.

37 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

1. Dude, take a deep breath and calm down.

2. my suggestion was to ... press thumbs down on the video to send the signal that they are not appreciated. 

Thumbing down content you don't like is literally what the thumbs down button is for. All I am saying is, use the tools available to you if you want to send a message to LTT.

1. I'm perfectly calm, but still allowed to voice legitimate criticism

2. If that's all you said, that would be voicing criticism normally. Like you said that's what the thumbs down button is for. But what you actually said was to open the video and hit the dislike instantly without even watching it. That's vastly different. That is abusing the tool to hurt someone's metrics purposefully. If you haven't watched the content, then you can't honestly say whether you liked or disliked it, since you didn't even try. That amounts to dislike bombing and is why youtube got rid of the dislike count. If you just vehemently dislike a shorter video REGARDLESS OF ACTUAL CONTENT QUALITY, which I can't understand, then your issue is with the youtube platform pushing it and society in general for liking something you don't. That is not an issue with LTT and there's no reason to "punish" LTT for doing nothing wrong. 

On 1/15/2022 at 10:31 PM, rednaX99 said:

remember this thread.

I promise you no one will.