LTT TikTok on Youtube

rednaX99
Go to solution Solved by danomicar,

This style of video is wildly popular at the moment. Why wouldn't a media company (For instance, LMG) want to be involved in that?

On 1/16/2022 at 8:52 AM, LAwLz said:

LMG is a company, and as a result they pretty much only cares about money

Got your critical thinking cap on, eh?

14 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

2. If that's all you said, that would be voicing criticism normally. Like you said that's what the thumbs down button is for. But what you actually said was to open the video and hit the dislike instantly without even watching it. That's vastly different. That is abusing the tool to hurt someone's metrics purposefully.

Again, relax. You seem to take this very personally as if I told someone to "hurt" you.

All I said was that if OP don't like the content, then don't watch it. If OP wants to send a stronger message that they do not appreciate the shorts, then OP can thumb it down. That's what the thumbs down button is for.

Since OP seems to not want to watch any shorts, my suggestion was to open the video, thumb it down and then close the video, if the purpose is to send the message that "I don't like shorts" to LTT.

I am not going to tell OP "hey, you should watch all short videos and then thumb them down if you don't like them". OP clearly wants to send the message that "I don't like shorts". If other people feels the same way then LTT should get that feedback. 

OP said that those 10 second videos are "cash grabs" that are "ruining" his subscription feed. Let's equivalate that to OP thinking the shorts are shit. Let's imagine that you and I both hold the same opinions as OP, that shorts are so bad that they are considering unsubscribing because they merely show up in their subscription feed. Let's imagine that both you and I think shorts are repulsive and we don't want anything to do with them.

Okay, are we both on the same page? We are both imagining that we hate shorts.

If you went to a restaurant and the waiter told you "hey, do you want to eat shit today?" my guess is that you would say "no I don't want that".

My suggestion was "tell the restaurant that you do not want to be told about literal shit when you want to eat. Tell them that they should stop asking about it".

That is what thumbing the video down without watching it is. If you already know that you don't like the content because it is not something you are interested in, then why bother watching it if you already know you won't like it? If you aren't satisfied with just ignoring it, thumb it down.

In my restaurant analogy, what you are suggesting (watch the video and then thumb it down) is basically "order the shit and then taste it before telling the waiter to not recommend it to you".

If you haven't watched the content, then you can't honestly say whether you liked or disliked it, since you didn't even try.

True, but based on what the OP said it feels like he dislikes the entire concept of shorts, not necessarily the content itself. You mentioned that you don't like makeup videos earlier. I don't like those either. If some youtuber I watched, let's say RedLetterMedia, started posting several makeup tutorials a week then I think that would be pretty annoying. I might give a couple of them some quick watches but I would very quickly realize that this is not something I enjoy.

If I wanted them to stop making makeup videos because it was cluttering up my subscription feed, what do you recommend I do? I would probably just thumb the makeup videos down without even watching them, because I want to send the message that "I don't think makeup videos belongs on the RLM channel. I did not subscribe to see makeup videos".

That amounts to dislike bombing and is why youtube got rid of the dislike count.

I don't think it's the same thing.

The dislike bombing that allegedly made Youtube remove the dislike button was because of harassment campaigns against people or companies. This is different because the dislikes I suggested mean "I don't like this type of content", not "I dislike you as a person".

My suggestion was, if you don't like shorts then thumb them down to send the message that you dislike it to LTT.

That is not the same as "if you dislike Linus, thumb all his videos down".

The former is what I suggested. The latter is what caused Youtube to remove the dislike button.

There is a subtle but very important difference.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

If you went to a restaurant and the waiter told you "hey, do you want to eat shit today?" my guess is that you would say "no I don't want that".

My suggestion was "tell the restaurant that you do not want to be told about literal shit when you want to eat. Tell them that they should stop asking about it".

That is what thumbing the video down without watching it is. If you already know that you don't like the content because it is not something you are interested in, then why bother watching it if you already know you won't like it? If you aren't satisfied with just ignoring it, thumb it down.

In my restaurant analogy, what you are suggesting (watch the video and then thumb it down) is basically "order the shit and then taste it before telling the waiter to not recommend it to you".

I think a better analogy would be giving a mexican restaurant a 1/5 star review online without having dined there just because you don't like mexican food.

That said I also dislike, unsubscribe (if subscribed), and "Don't recommend this channel" to any #shorts content that shows up in my feed in the hopes that Youtube will stop recommending that trash content to me or at the very least get rid of all the channels that show up in my feed pushing that content. If a video gets a dislike because they were unfortunate enough that Youtube decided to blast me with a bunch of stuff that I'm not interested, have no intention of ever watching, and continues showing in my recommended feed for weeks then they should blame Youtube, not me. In the restaurant analogy it would be like every time I drive down the street my phone prompts me to leave a review for the restaurant that I'm not interested in dining at and I end up leaving a negative review just to stop it from asking me to review it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just do the same as with every other youtuber: Ignore the content you're not interested in. Everyone in my subs posts content i don't care about from time to time. If i still enjoy most of their content then i will keep the sub, if i don't like the majority of their content i unsubscribe. I agree with @LAwLz that the shorts are terrible and imo they seem like very low-effort attempts to pull in a wider audience. This low-effort approach is probably just enough to feed the algorithm. And with the 2 second attention span many people have nowadays i see why they do it from a business standpoint.

Personally i don't like them, so i'll just keep ignoring them. I don't feel obligated to watch every video that comes up in my sub box.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

36 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I think a better analogy would be giving a mexican restaurant a 1/5 star review online without having dined there just because you don't like mexican food.

Except in this case the OP seems to like what LTT does, except the shorts, and the shorts were a new thing when this post was made.

So it would be like if a sushi restaurant one day changed their menu to include a bunch Mexican food, and they constantly bombarded you with suggestions to try it even though you already know you don't like it. If we want to keep going with this analogy then what I said was basically:

Well if you don't like type of food the restaurant is now pushing then give them a 1 star rating and then let the system in place determine their destiny. If others feel like you then they will get a lot of 1 star reviews and will have to change back. If you are essentially alone in disliking the new menu then maybe you should look for a different sushi place to eat at.

43 minutes ago, Spotty said:

In the restaurant analogy it would be like every time I drive down the street my phone prompts me to leave a review for the restaurant that I'm not interested in dining at and I end up leaving a negative review just to stop it from asking me to review it.

Except in this case LTT have made the active choice to take part in the shorts trend. It's not like Youtube decided to push shorts to everyone and LTT just happened to get caught in the crossfire between users and Youtube. LTT jumped on shorts BECAUSE Youtube were pushing it to everyone.

If the restaurant in our analogy actively told Google "hey, blast everyone that walks past our restaurant with a notification telling them to review our restaurant" then I think leaving a 1 star review would be at least a bit justified. 

55 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

imo they seem like very low-effort attempts to pull in a wider audience

That's exactly what shorts are, but... it works, and as long as they do more will be made for obvious reasons. As many creators have said shorts suck, but they'd be downright stupid not to make them. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Again, relax. You seem to take this very personally as if I told someone to "hurt" you.

All I said was that if OP don't like the content, then don't watch it. If OP wants to send a stronger message that they do not appreciate the shorts, then OP can thumb it down. That's what the thumbs down button is for.

Since OP seems to not want to watch any shorts, my suggestion was to open the video, thumb it down and then close the video, if the purpose is to send the message that "I don't like shorts" to LTT.

I am not going to tell OP "hey, you should watch all short videos and then thumb them down if you don't like them". OP clearly wants to send the message that "I don't like shorts". If other people feels the same way then LTT should get that feedback. 

OP said that those 10 second videos are "cash grabs" that are "ruining" his subscription feed. Let's equivalate that to OP thinking the shorts are shit. Let's imagine that you and I both hold the same opinions as OP, that shorts are so bad that they are considering unsubscribing because they merely show up in their subscription feed. Let's imagine that both you and I think shorts are repulsive and we don't want anything to do with them.

Okay, are we both on the same page? We are both imagining that we hate shorts.

True, but based on what the OP said it feels like he dislikes the entire concept of shorts, not necessarily the content itself. You mentioned that you don't like makeup videos earlier. I don't like those either. If some youtuber I watched, let's say RedLetterMedia, started posting several makeup tutorials a week then I think that would be pretty annoying. I might give a couple of them some quick watches but I would very quickly realize that this is not something I enjoy.

If I wanted them to stop making makeup videos because it was cluttering up my subscription feed, what do you recommend I do? I would probably just thumb the makeup videos down without even watching them, because I want to send the message that "I don't think makeup videos belongs on the RLM channel. I did not subscribe to see makeup videos".

I don't think it's the same thing.

The dislike bombing that allegedly made Youtube remove the dislike button was because of harassment campaigns against people or companies. This is different because the dislikes I suggested mean "I don't like this type of content", not "I dislike you as a person".

My suggestion was, if you don't like shorts then thumb them down to send the message that you dislike it to LTT.

That is not the same as "if you dislike Linus, thumb all his videos down".

The former is what I suggested. The latter is what caused Youtube to remove the dislike button.

There is a subtle but very important difference.

I've made it quite clear the opposite, I'm not hurt or emotional in any way. I'm completely calm, but I'm allowed to be calm and talk about something I believe too.

What you suggested IS dishonest use of the dislike button as a way to "punish" the creator, as you said in your post. If you watch a video and dislike the content and hit the thumbs down, that's a perfectly reasonable and expected use. But as @Spotty said, the solution you gave in your post was to NOT watch a video and dislike it anyways, no different than giving a bad review to a restaurant you haven't been to because you don't like the type of food. Shorts are a form of media, just like watercolor and acrylic in art. If you don't like the look of acrylic, then you shouldn't go around disliking a bunch of acrylic artists. You should focus on adding positive feedback to the watercolor artists you do like. It's spreading negativity to people who aren't the issue. If you don't wanna call that intentional dislike bombing, you're free to come up with a different term, but at least be real and admit that is, again as YOU said, intentionally punishing the creator for a difference in preference. That's not a good faith attempt to put in constructive criticism to make a larger change on the way the audiences preferences are viewed. It's just a single person being petty and lashing out at a creator without having any issue with the actual content, only the form. If you don't like that type of media, don't watch it. hurting creators for your preference when they did nothing wrong is just misdirected.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.