Would you trust a computer with your life? Apple Car reportedly to have no steering wheel or pedals.

Arika

Summary

It's been known for a while that Apple has been looking into creating their own car. However what i don't think most people expected (though maybe we should have) that they are planning to remove essential aspects of a car, naming the steering wheel and pedals. #courage

Quotes

For the past several years, Apple’s car team had explored two simultaneous paths: creating a model with limited self-driving capabilities focused on steering and acceleration -- similar to many current cars -- or a version with full self-driving ability that doesn’t require human intervention.

Under the effort’s new leader -- Apple Watch software executive Kevin Lynch -- engineers are now concentrating on the second option. Lynch is pushing for a car with a full self-driving system in the first version, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the deliberations are private.

Apple’s ideal car would have no steering wheel and pedals, and its interior would be designed around hands-off driving. One option discussed inside the company features an interior similar to the one in the Lifestyle Vehicle from Canoo Inc., an upstart in the EV industry. In that car, passengers sit along the sides of the vehicle and face each other like they would in a limousine. 

Apple is internally targeting a launch of its self-driving car in four years, faster than the five- to seven-year timeline that some engineers had been planning for earlier this year. But the timing is fluid, and hitting that 2025 target is dependent on the company’s ability to complete the self-driving system -- an ambitious task on that schedule. If Apple is unable to reach its goal, it could either delay a release or initially sell a car with lesser technology.

My thoughts

Now, i don't know about everyone else, but I would not get in a car that i have zero control over. At least with taxi's, the driver is also protecting their own life. A fully automated car on the other hand, do i trust that the car is going to keep me safe? Sorry, not happening, i'm not putting my life in the hands of an AI that might end up deciding to kill me if there's a situation where it's either me or multiple people. Or what about if there's a problem with the auto-drive? Literally "Jesus, take the wheel".

I'm not against auto-drive, i'm against ONLY auto-drive. Apple, i know you love to take things away from your devices, but do NOT take away such major components of a car, especially when it will raise safety concerns. There always needs to be the option to override the automated systems and take manual control.

Sources

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-18/apple-accelerates-work-on-car-aims-for-fully-autonomous-vehicle?sref=I5jUJbND

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Every car company is pushing Full Self Driving.  Not just Tesla.  GM's new ad has people literally hands OFF the wheel driving, so they're touting full self driving very soon.

In Atlanta, I would prefer automated vs some of the asshats driving around me.  At least SOMEONE/THING is doing the driving while you read your texts.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Just remember the correct bracing position whenever you take a plane. If it can save you from crashing at 500KM/H+ it can probably save you crashing at 70KM/H

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

7 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Every car company is pushing Full Self Driving.  Not just Tesla.  GM's new ad has people literally hands OFF the wheel driving, so they're touting full self driving very soon.

In Atlanta, I would prefer automated vs some of the asshats driving around me.  At least SOMEONE/THING is doing the driving while you read your texts.

for real by the time cars drive themselves, accidents and traffic would all go down drastically. but i don't think we're there yet...

facebook thinks meta is some VR bs people will want to spend time in, but really we need a unified car metaverse way before any trash they are imagining. a car smart grid if you will. as long as cars are processing individually and locally it's going to cause issues and you can't remove the driver 100% of the time (maybe it's 99, maybe it's 99,9% either way it's not enough to remove the wheel)

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

3 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Just remember the correct bracing position whenever you take a plane. If it can save you from crashing at 500KM/H+ it can probably save you crashing at 70KM/H

cough cough, the plane still has a trained pilot to do the manoevres

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

In 20 or 30 years, threads like this will be absolutely hilarious to look back on.

Probably pretty similar to people saying they'd never give up their horse to have something powered by continuous small explosions and an extremely flammable liquid.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

45 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Summary

It's been known for a while that Apple has been looking into creating their own car. However what i don't think most people expected (though maybe we should have) that they are planning to remove essential aspects of a car, naming the steering wheel and pedals. #courage

Quotes

My thoughts

Now, i don't know about everyone else, but I would not get in a car that i have zero control over. At least with taxi's, the driver is also protecting their own life. A fully automated car on the other hand, do i trust that the car is going to keep me safe? Sorry, not happening, i'm not putting my life in the hands of an AI that might end up deciding to kill me if there's a situation where it's either me or multiple people. Or what about if there's a problem with the auto-drive? Literally "Jesus, take the wheel".

I'm not against auto-drive, i'm against ONLY auto-drive. Apple, i know you love to take things away from your devices, but do NOT take away such major components of a car, especially when it will raise safety concerns. There always needs to be the option to override the automated systems and take manual control.

Sources

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-18/apple-accelerates-work-on-car-aims-for-fully-autonomous-vehicle?sref=I5jUJbND

Apple car: 100000$ for the car, computer and engines are sold seperately for 3000$ and 69420$ respectively

Spoiler

Fr tho, no i will not bother with self driving cars, ill prob just get a cheapo rwd 80s corolla and upgrade it instead of some overpriced computer that you cant control yourself and have no access to its code

And no even if i swap engine i will prob ecu delete or diy redundant ecu and keep everything analog so i can fix everything with a god damn screwdriver

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

naming the steering wheel and pedals.

Not on my life. Wasn't really interested, but most definitely not interested now.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Smart cars are not ready. 

Just today we were driving and the brand new Apple iPhone said to stop halfway in the middle of the highway for a stop sign (at an intersection)

I'm not trusting a stupid "self-driving car" with my life. Imagine sitting in one of those things as it drives and stops in the middle of a highway saying it's at a stop sign and getting t-boned. My 81-year-old grandpa go t-boned and he got badly injured. Thank God he's healed now.

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

This isn't new. Google (now Waymo) has been experimenting with cars that do not require any intervention from the driver via the steering wheel and pedals for a couple of years, with the notion being that in the future, full self-driving cars may not require them at all.

My opinions on this can reach 2 full pages, so I'm not going to say it. But I'm just going to point out that this isn't a new idea, just that Apple tends to get all the headlines when they do it.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

This isn't new. Google (now Waymo) has been experimenting with cars that do not require any intervention from the driver via the steering wheel and pedals for a couple of years, with the notion being that in the future, full self-driving cars may not require them at all.

My opinions on this can reach 2 full pages, so I'm not going to say it. But I'm just going to point out that this isn't a new idea, just that Apple tends to get all the headlines when they do it.

it'll be shit until it has insect hive mind tech

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

hat they are planning to remove essential aspects of a car, naming the steering wheel and pedals

Inb4 apple starts selling them as upgrades

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Apple car: 100000$ for the car, computer and engines are sold seperately for 3000$ and 69420$ respectively

Reveal hidden contents

Fr tho, no i will not bother with self driving cars, ill prob just get a cheapo rwd 80s corolla and upgrade it instead of some overpriced computer that you cant control yourself and have no access to its code

And no even if i swap engine i will prob ecu delete or diy redundant ecu and keep everything analog so i can fix everything with a god damn screwdriver

Hold hold on how much are the wheels? 🤔

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

It's been known for a while that Apple has been looking into creating their own car.

I thought it was just a meme

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

they are planning to remove essential aspects of a car, naming the steering wheel and pedals.

It's clearly dumb, and I hardly believe that anyone who has a sound mind would make that, let alone use it. I think it to be really weird that someone actually thought it's a good idea

1 hour ago, D13H4RD said:

This isn't new. Google (now Waymo) has been experimenting with cars that do not require any intervention from the driver via the steering wheel and pedals for a couple of years, with the notion being that in the future, full self-driving cars may not require them at all

Yes, but they didn't cut out the steering wheel entirely, did they? Because AI a d AI can have flaws, even if the car is self driving there should be a steering wheel which over rides the self-driving system just in case something goes wrong on the road

1 hour ago, EDK Tech said:

Imagine sitting in one of those things as it drives and stops in the middle of a highway saying it's at a stop sign and getting t-boned

Well all of the current driving systems that I have seen utilize GPS for route planning, but use other sensors to actually do the driving.  (And in cases like Waymo they effectively have the areas they drive 3d mapped).  If they encounter something that isn't correct they will pull over and get a human driver in the case of Waymo...in the case of Tesla they use their vision system to continue driving.  A good example I saw of this was the new FSD beta that took a round about that was marked as a standard intersection (it adapted and still took the correct exit). [It apparently was a new round-about]

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

Nope and I don't see how traffic safety regulators would even approve of a vehicle that doesn't have pedals or a steering wheel in case the full self driving makes an error.

It's no where near the point where a steering wheel and brake pedal aren't necessary, but eventually I could see it being eliminated...as the driving system gets better than human and you start getting humans taking over creating more danger...at that stage I think you will find that things such as a steering wheel might be removed.  I will always think a brake pedal (or emergency stop button) will be added

2 minutes ago, SeAsOn3 said:

Yes, but they didn't cut out the steering wheel entirely, did they? Because AI a d AI can have flaws, even if the car is self driving there should be a steering wheel which over rides the self-driving system just in case something goes wrong on the road

At a certain point, it's just easier adding in a controller for that situation.  A controller will be "easier" for a lot to people while driving

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

@wanderingfool2

Yes, but if you don't have a steering wheel or pedals like the Apple Car...

giphy.gif

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

3 hours ago, williamcll said:

Calm down..Relax..Tuck your head between your legs.....and kiss your a** goodbye..

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

37 minutes ago, EDK Tech said:

giphy.gif

Wonder how much that cost him...

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!