Cryptominers Target AMD Ryzen CPUs for Their Big L3 Caches

Lightwreather

Another controversial one..... getting a lot of 'em these days /s

Summary

According to a recent report from Bitcoin Press, the new Raptoreum (RTM) crypto has the potential to create a shortage of AMD Ryzen processors if enough cryptocurrency miners jump on the bandwagon. Unlike other cryptocurrencies that you can mine with graphics cards or ASICs, Raptoreum favors processors, especially those with huge caches, such as Ryzen, Threadripper or Epyc chips from AMD

Quotes

Having been in testnet for three years, Raptoreum launched earlier this year. It's based on the Proof-Of-Work (PoW) model and the GhostRider algorithm. The latter combines the x16r and CryptoNight algorithms present in Ravencoin and Monero or Bytecoin, respectively. GhostRider likes L3 cache, especially the massive ones, and that's an area in which Ryzen chips excel.

AMD's Zen 3 mainstream processors, such as the Ryzen 9 5950X and Ryzen 9 5900X, feature up to 64MB of L3 cache. Based on information from the Raptoreum Mining Profitability Calculator, the Ryzen 9 5950X and Ryzen 9 5900X offer up to 4,247 h/s and 3,557 h/s, respectively. The first could net you 205 Raptoreum a day, while the latter delivers up to 172. At $0.0220255 per Raptoreum and utilizing an energy cost of $0.12/kWh, a Ryzen 9 5950X makes around $4.16 a day, while a Ryzen 9 5900X puts in a respectable $3.43. That means the Ryzen 9 5950X ($739) practically pays for itself in 178 days and the Ryzen 9 5900X ($524) in about 153 days. While the Ryzen 9 5950X delivers a higher hashrate, the Ryzen 9 5900X takes less time to break even.
For the meantime, Raptoreum doesn't seem to have any effect on Ryzen stock, which is a good thing. However, the panorama could change when Ryzen with 3D V-Cache brings chips that can deliver up to 192MB of L3 cache, tripling that of a vanilla Ryzen processor.

My thoughts

So...... Here we have another cryptocurrency that uses the CPU, and seems to be more profitable than Monero (XMR). Well, even if that's the case I doubt it'll really take off in any meaningful way. Why? Because there are only so many CPUs you can put into a socket, not to mention that you'll probably need Multiple motherboards, boot drives, PSUs, Memory DIMMs and it's starting to look a lot less appealing now doesn't it? So that's my take on it, please try and keep the discussion civil......

Sources

Tom's Hardware
Bitcoin Press
Raptoreum calculator

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

i mean mining at the beginning should be profitable. if i had a ryzen i would honestly mine for a bit just for the fun of it.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

43 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Summary

According to a recent report from Bitcoin Press, the new Raptoreum (RTM) crypto has the potential to create a shortage of AMD Ryzen processors if enough cryptocurrency miners jump on the bandwagon. Unlike other cryptocurrencies that you can mine with graphics cards or ASICs, Raptoreum favors processors, especially those with huge caches, such as Ryzen, Threadripper or Epyc chips from AMD

Quotes

My thoughts

So...... Here we have another cryptocurrency that uses the CPU, and seems to be more profitable than Monero (XMR). Well, even if that's the case I doubt it'll really take off in any meaningful way. Why? Because there are only so many CPUs you can put into a socket, not to mention that you'll probably need Multiple motherboards, boot drives, PSUs, Memory DIMMs and it's starting to look a lot less appealing now doesn't it? So that's my take on it, please try and keep the discussion civil......

Sources

Tom's Hardware
Bitcoin Press
Raptoreum calculator

I always find it funny when people talk about profitability of new cryptocurrency when everyone knows the value is pretty arbitrary so either people get interested in it and the value goes up or people just don't have interest in it ending with the value of the coin tanking. I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't just tank like so many other coins. Sure you can say a coin is profitable in a moment in time but with how volatile they are I would risk building for a coin that isn't even well established. Also at least with most mining rigs you have a few cryptocurrencies to choose from if one becomes unprofitable while with this one you would be more relying on CPU meaning you could really only switch over the mining other cpu heavy cryptocurrencies. 

I mean... I probably wasn't going to AMD for my next build anyways... but... oh dear lord... 

PTSD Chihuahua | Know Your Meme

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Summary

Quotes

My thoughts

Sources

Tom's Hardware
Bitcoin Press
Raptoreum calculator

I don't think there would be a long time before cryptocurrency starts favouring CPU's with more pins on the bottom.

so what I'm hearing is xeon phi may have a new life?
other than milan-X which already isn't going to be easy for most smaller customers to get for a while, getting harder to find, I doubt this coin will take off

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Main Rig: 5900x

Capture: 3700x

Wife: 3600

HTPC: 2600

Sitting in the closet... 1800x... 

hmmmmmm 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

So, how about them 3DVC Zen 3 CPUs?

Man, it's gonna be a bloodbath, isn't it.

On a more serious note, profitability is directly correlated to how the coin retains its value. Chia was hyped as something that'd upend the HDD market until it... didn't.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

4 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Raptoreum favors processors, especially those with huge caches, such as Ryzen, Threadripper or Epyc chips from AMD

Has anyone actually tested how this behaves under various resource limited scenarios? There will be multiple layers, from the CPU cores themselves, to cache, maybe to ram too. Cache generally matters more when ram performance is out of balance to cores, which hits recent AMD more. Is it bandwidth or latency sensitive? Does merely having a bigger cache improve performance that much? I'll have to poke into this a bit more for a better picture as this has got my interest.

4 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Because there are only so many CPUs you can put into a socket, not to mention that you'll probably need Multiple motherboards, boot drives, PSUs, Memory DIMMs and it's starting to look a lot less appealing now doesn't it?

This shouldn't be considered in isolation. Someone looking at mining at scale at CPU probably already is mining at scale on GPU too. Rather than buying the minimal system to support GPU mining, you could get a CPU mining rig supporting those GPUs instead. If anything this could be more efficient. CPU cost goes up, mobo/PSU cost not that different, ram maybe a bit more if you need two sticks for dual channel for performance as opposed to single. Boot drive could be a cheap USB stick so insignificant. I think the main cost delta is the CPU itself. If the miner is not core limited as suggested by cache influence, it wont even need high end cooling.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

35 minutes ago, porina said:

I'll have to poke into this a bit more for a better picture as this has got my interest.

Having had a look at the results in one of the sources, and playing about with the profitability calculator, I think I have a partial picture but it isn't completely clear.

Desktop Zen 2 seems pretty similar to Zen 3 so doesn't seem to be a clear architecture advantage there. However for both, the 16 cores perform much better than the 12 cores, suggesting a core performance difference there. Also there seems to be good scaling with clock within that, which points to core limiting. Going down to 8 cores we see roughly half of 16 cores, and 6 cores slower still.

5600H vs 5600X shows about 2x difference. Same core and architecture, but 2x the cache. I wouldn't say it scales with the cache, as we don't know other variables like running clock, but certainly there is a big gap there.

Ryzen CPUs older than Zen 2 see a big drop in performance. Intel CPUs listed also perform relatively badly compared to similar desktop Zen 2 or newer.

Based on this, my tentative conclusion is that it seems to be first affected by "enough" cache. If you have enough, then it scales with cores better. Given this, I'm not convinced that high cache CPUs would provide better mining value. On the flip side, it implies desktop grade Zen 2 and Zen 3 CPUs are already best for this mining, with the higher core count models probably being best value. 

Edit: forgot to say, power usage seems to be quite high, again pointing more to core loading. A better cooler than stock may be beneficial.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

10 minutes ago, porina said:

Based on this, my tentative conclusion is that it seems to be first affected by "enough" cache. If you have enough, then it scales with cores better. Given this, I'm not convinced that high cache CPUs would provide better mining value. On the flip side, it implies desktop grade Zen 2 and Zen 3 CPUs are already best for this mining, with the higher core count models probably being best value. 

It should follow GPU mining, in that you need enough VRAM (cache here) and any more does nothing. I can't really see how more would make it faster without some rather specific information about the running algo, larger caches are also slower so performance could well regress, who knows. Since there is no difference between Zen 2 and Zen 3 then it's per core isolated and does not use AVX2, educated assumptions on my part.

With GPU mining it's pretty easy to scale up, you can have multiple GPUs running off one system. If CPU mining is going to be the next big thing then that's going to require motherboard, memory, storage, and PSU for every CPU. You could have dual and quad socket motherboards, but that would only affect Epyc CPUs not Ryzen or Threadripper. Hopefully that additional equipment cost on top of the cost of the CPUs deters people from just buying as many CPUs as they can. Though it also means that if there is a frenzied rush for Ryzen CPUs that the motherboards and possibly other system essential components will also see shortages, impacting people who aren't even buying AMD systems.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

-snip-

inb4 pentium ii slot CPUs

A Brief History of Intel CPUs, Part 2: Pentium II Through Comet Lake -  ExtremeTech

Also, intel has been using compute elements in higher end nucs. If they move the memory off to a mainboard, and allow the CPU and other circuitry to reside on the compute element, then it might just be viable

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

With GPU mining it's pretty easy to scale up, you can have multiple GPUs running off one system. If CPU mining is going to be the next big thing then that's going to require motherboard, memory, storage, and PSU for every CPU. You could have dual and quad socket motherboards, but that would only affect Epyc CPUs not Ryzen or Threadripper. Hopefully that additional equipment cost on top of the cost of the CPUs deters people from just buying as many CPUs as they can. Though it also means that if there is a frenzied rush for Ryzen CPUs that the motherboards and possibly other system essential components will also see shortages, impacting people who aren't even buying AMD systems.

I'd like to see that Ryzen 4700S PS5 thingy tested, maybe the GDDR memory bandwidth has improvements with this or other CPU mining. At least then all the miners can go off and buy odd ball Ryzen CPUs (well base systems) that we never were going to lol

How great.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

CPU mining never turns out profitability because the entry cost is too high. You can stack 10 GPUs on one board but only one CPU in most boards.

3 minutes ago, SlidewaysZ said:

CPU mining never turns out profitability because the entry cost is too high. You can stack 10 GPUs on one board but only one CPU in most boards.

In current mining systems the CPU doesn't do much, it's usually just some cheap Pentium CPU that is there just because they need some CPU. The smart thing for miners to do would be their usual GPU mining with multiple GPUs on one board, but swap to Ryzen CPUs to also use the CPU for CPU mining. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Milan-X has almost 800MB L3 cache... I wonder how interesting that is to miners given it's an expensive part meant for servers... Still, cryptomining is cancer that needs to die, but never will unfortunately, because everyone is so naive they'll make quick bucks, meanwhile only few are really making millions from it and the rest are just scraping the bottom of the crypto barrel, breaking even at best in the end. Or have massive losses because of random crypto crash.

7 hours ago, tim0901 said:

The 'Here we go again' meme is perfect for every frustrating situation

Guess I'll be going Intel for my next build...

fortunately with 12th gen, that's not really a problem

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

Coin hype is what's going to finally kill this childish garbage.  You can't keep making fake money and expect anyone to give you real money for it.

2 minutes ago, Heliian said:

Coin hype is what's going to finally kill this childish garbage.  You can't keep making fake money and expect anyone to give you real money for it.

So far it seems to be working (sadly)...

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

7 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

so what I'm hearing is xeon phi may have a new life?
other than milan-X which already isn't going to be easy for most smaller customers to get for a while, getting harder to find, I doubt this coin will take off

I am over here thinking about Broadwell and its 128mb L4 cache, lol. It's much slower than traditional cache (having only 50GB/s bi-directional bandwidth), but is still very low latency and a decent size for "cache". 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.