Bethesda still trying to milk the dead cash cow, Skyrim Anniversary will be a $20 upgrade for owners of Special or $50 for everyone else

Master Disaster

Skyrim, the meme that keeps on giving.

Bethesda have announced pricing for the "next gen upgrade" of Skyrim and people are pretty mad about it. The expectation was that special edition owners would get a free upgrade in line with how other studios have handled it but Todd has different ideas. Despite the game being nothing more than Special + a mod bundle Todd seems to think the game is still worth $50.

What is the Skyrim Anniversary Edition?

The Skyrim Anniversary Edition bundles together Skyrim Special Edition with every piece of Creation Club content released at the time of the Anniversary Edition’s launch, including additional quests, armor and gameplay modes. Get a first look at some of the content included in our article here.

Players who already own Skyrim Special Edition may choose to purchase just the Anniversary Upgrade, which includes all the Creation Club creation content mentioned above in one convenient, high-value bundle.

What is the price of the Skyrim Anniversary Edition and the Anniversary Upgrade?

• The MSRP for the Skyrim Anniversary Edition on digital storefronts will be USD $49.99/EUR €54.99/GBP £47.99/AUD $79.95/RUB 3399 at launch.

• If you already own Skyrim Special Edition, the MSRP for the Anniversary Upgrade on digital storefronts will be USD $19.99/EUR €19.99/GBP £15.99/AUD $29.95/RUB 1429 at launch.

By far the best part of this joke is the fact Bethesda are touting a resolution bump and faster loading that come from the XBS & PS5 as a "next gen upgrade"

Is Skyrim getting a next-gen upgrade?

Yes! Owners of Skyrim Special Edition or the Anniversary Edition on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S will receive a next-generation upgrade for the game. The upgrade will be free and optimize the game with enhanced graphics, faster loading times and more.

https://elderscrolls.bethesda.net/en/article/5esC91g2ABY1jQ97uq39zW/skyrim-anniversary-edition-faq

This game first released in 2011 on the XB360 & PS3 yet they still think its worth $50? Todd be trippin 😄

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Probably the absolute most annoying part about this "upgrade" will be the fact that modding will be broken again, as SKSE will have to be redone and likely a lot of other mods will have to be updated too. 

Guess it was too much to ask for a separate version.

MAIN SYSTEM: Intel i9 10850K | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4-3600C16 | RTX 3070 FE | MSI Z490 Gaming Carbon WIFI | Corsair H100i Pro 240mm AIO | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSDs | EVGA SuperNova 850 P2 | Fractal Design Meshify C | Razer Cynosa V2 | Corsair Scimitar Elite | Gigabyte G27Q

Other Devices: iPhone 12 128GB | Nintendo Switch | Surface Pro 7+ (work device)

time to break all the mods from the previous 2 versions.

i would care about this if they changed the combat system at all, it's just too old in the tooth for it to really be fun. Give me combos, light and heavy attacks. actual animations that look like they aren't 10 years old

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Arika S said:

time to break all the mods from the previous 2 versions.

i would care about this if they changed the combat system at all, it's just too old in the tooth for it to really be fun. Give me combos, light and heavy attacks. actual animations that look like they aren't 10 years old

It'll be Bethesdas usual minimum possible effort affair

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

"Hey we know everyone has been looking forward to the next Elder Scrolls game, and we have some exciting news about the Elder Scrolls series. We have decided to rename it to "Skyrim.

Elder scrolls 6 is no longer in production so we started over with Skyrim: anniversary edition. We know this name change might be confusing but we knew you're going to love it. because you have to, it's all you're ever going to get"

how can they, without any sense of irony, release this game AGAIN, announcing it close to the 10 year anniversary and still not have any more information about ES6 other than the trailer from 2018?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Don't get me wrong, Skyrim is a great game... but Bethesda definitely isn't afraid to milk it dry.

I own a few of the Creation Club mods (dlc?) when they were given away almost for free. They are, for the most part, inferior to comparable free mods. Especially Survival Mode vs Frostfall. Frostfall is a cornerstone of any modlist I come up with, Survival Mode does not hold up compared to it.

MAIN SYSTEM: Intel i9 10850K | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4-3600C16 | RTX 3070 FE | MSI Z490 Gaming Carbon WIFI | Corsair H100i Pro 240mm AIO | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSDs | EVGA SuperNova 850 P2 | Fractal Design Meshify C | Razer Cynosa V2 | Corsair Scimitar Elite | Gigabyte G27Q

Other Devices: iPhone 12 128GB | Nintendo Switch | Surface Pro 7+ (work device)

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

"Hey we know everyone has been looking forward to the next Elder Scrolls game, and we have some exciting news about the Elder Scrolls series. We have decided to rename it to "Skyrim.

Elder scrolls 6 is no longer in production so we started over with Skyrim: anniversary edition. We know this name change might be confusing but we knew you're going to love it. because you have to, it's all you're ever going to get"

how can they, without any sense of irony, release this game AGAIN, announcing it close to the 10 year anniversary and still not have any more information about ES6 other than the trailer from 2018?

The alarming thing is we know starfield is coming before ES6 and we still know almost nothing about that either. The number 6 (ES6 & GTA6) is looking to replace the number 3 in the "games that will never release" meme category 😄

I still like Skyrim . . . But I am not happy to spend an additional $20 on this. I am still waiting for a new Elderscrolls game, but dang has been a long time. I think Bethesda has dropped the ball.

If you want a hint as to the next game, I got one! You start out as a prisoner. How do I know this? Because every Elderscrolls you start out as one! Bleh!

26 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

The alarming thing is we know starfield is coming before ES6 and we still know almost nothing about that either. The number 6 (ES6 & GTA6) is looking to replace the number 3 in the "games that will never release" meme category 😄

Well to be fair a new elderscrolls without a new engine wouldn't be that great imo so I am sorta glad that they are going to switch engines for the new one even if it is taking an incredibly long time to come out. It would be one thing if they released an elderscrolls 6 not too long after skyrim on the creation engine but if they did that now it would be a disappointment. Starfeild is apparently on this new engine so it is probably taking awhile to make as it is a new engine and not just a new game. 

Skyrim 2 anyone? Nope.

I never played Skyrim, but it's getting the treatment of every game's succes these days: a remaster. And it's usually just a remaster, not a remake. A polished up game which is full price.

These days it's also unusual to get a free upgrade. We should be happy with free DLC already. Only free upgrade I can think of are some PS4 games with PS5 upgrade.

10 minutes ago, FRD said:

These days it's also unusual to get a free upgrade.

Aside from the garbage 2K Sports titles pretty much every game that released during the last gen to current gen transition offered players who bought the last gen version the ability to upgrade to the current gen for free (or for a small enough fee that it made sense), heck even EA & Activision did.

Skyrim is 3 generation old at this point and has been rereleased, almost literally, more times than you can count on your fingers. To state "enhanced graphics" and "faster loading times" as an excuse for another full price rerelease is disingenuous at best, those things come as a direct result of the power of the new platform.

Its also laughable they think anybody on PC would touch this since A) you can make PC Skyrim look amazing using mods and B) (as mentioned above) this will almost certainly break SKSE and various other free mods.

and it will still be full of bugs they will never patch.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

21 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

and it will still be full of bugs they will never patch.

"the modders will fix it"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

This game first released in 2011 on the XB360 & PS3 yet they still think its worth $50?

why not? Having games priced high at launch and lower over time is a business strategy, its not lowered because its worth less over time.

It's not dead, todd will keep releasing skyrim as long as people keep buying it.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

why not? Having games priced high at launch and lower over time is a business strategy, its not lowered because its worth less over time.

Care to try and justify this stance, I mean one of the fundamentals of consumerism is that things get cheaper as they age, at least until they reach "vintage".

Bethesda please...

Stop Hes Already Dead GIFs | Tenor

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I don't see anything wrong with that.

If you consumer sheep don't start growing brain cells and consider just maybe not mindlessly buying everything corporations throw in front of you then perhaps they would act in a more reasonable manner.

How many dumb people buy a 3090 because they want to feel like they have the best even though they can't really afford it? Wanna take a wild guess whether the 4090 will be cheaper or pricier than the 3090?

Stop complaining about business behaviour. They exist to make money and if they see that consumers are braindead they will act accordingly. That Tod guy or whatever his name is does not play video games. That guy owns a mansion and lives a very rich life. He does not give two fucks about your feelings regarding the price because he does not give a shit about "g4m1ng". If you were a wealthy man who had celebs on his phone contacts and you were working out on how you can make more money would you reduce your income when all your analysts tell you that your playerbase are dumb gullible sheep that can be exploited easily? Will you write off the yacht you wanted to buy because you want the players who were gonna throw $50 at you anyway to pay $10 instead?

These questions are rhetorical because let us be honest, everyone in this thread who is whining is going to buy the next Elder Scrolls on release day and take days off work to play it.

8 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

If you consumer sheep don't start growing brain cells and consider just maybe not mindlessly buying everything corporations throw in front of you then perhaps they would act in a more reasonable manner.

How many dumb people buy a 3090 because they want to feel like they have the best even though they can't really afford it? Wanna take a wild guess whether the 4090 will be cheaper or pricier than the 3090?

Stop complaining about business behaviour. They exist to make money and if they see that consumers are braindead they will act accordingly. That Tod guy or whatever his name is does not play video games. That guy owns a mansion and lives a very rich life. He does not give two fucks about your feelings regarding the price because he does not give a shit about "g4m1ng". If you were a wealthy man who had celebs on his phone contacts and you were working out on how you can make more money would you reduce your income when all your analysts tell you that your playerbase are dumb gullible sheep that can be exploited easily? Will you write off the yacht you wanted to buy because you want the players who were gonna throw $50 at you anyway to pay $10 instead?

These questions are rhetorical because let us be honest, everyone in this thread who is whining is going to buy the next Elder Scrolls on release day and take days off work to play it.

Vans UltraRange EXO SE

12 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

That's the real reasons why shit gets more expensive each year because too much dumb sheeps keeps paying those prices.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

19 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

The essence of this reply is "just ignore the people doing the bad thing because the people they're affecting are too dumb to care about it".

The "dead cow coprse" of skyrim not even Identifiabe cow anymore, its turned into just dust particles in the air...

Lmao its still a 20 dollar upgrade even with gamepass. They didn't mention it in their press release, had to google it. I was hoping to just download it with gamepass on my xbox and play through it. 20 dollars is too much for a resolution bump and adding stuff that mods can do.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max