Windows 11 - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!!!

GoodBytes
4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Keep in mind that having this linked account provides:

• Ready to go personal file backup with OneDrive (as much as I personally don't like this OneDrive sync of Pictures, Documents folders, I do get that not everyone has the know how or willingness to do backups (they may do it once, or twice, then discipline is gone to keep doing manual backups). As for NAS setup to setup File History or some automated backup solution, well, you are looking at turn-key solutions for consumers, and that means, expensive (ex: Synology)... people aren't willing to pay. Many don't want to go to the hassle in figuring all this up).

• Store and all other apps (including Edge) are pre-configured and ready to go, and not be 'complicated' at first run, making the experience less inviting to them. This also includes, if their phone is also setup for, to quickly and easily view their phone pictures on their PC (as it would go through OneDrive, and the Photo app would link there, a nice convenience compared to plugging their phone to the PC), and of course, assuming they install Edge on their phone, have their bookmarks sync between devices.

I'm using Firefox which has its own sync. I don't need to sync or backup ANYTHING else on it because it's that disposable. I can just roll over new Windows install and not care about anything. Thus, stop bugging me about accounts, passwords and lock screens Microsoft, I DON'T care.

10 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows 10 20H2, if I am not mistaken, if you have a MS linked account. You have to use Microsoft tool linked above instead.

I've never used that program. If there's a specific need (like a kiosk or conference room PC), I've always done it through the Registry.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/user-profiles-and-logon/turn-on-automatic-logon

Note: password isn't encrypted, so don't grant the local account Administrative access, and don't use this for AD account login.

Edited by StDragon

48 minutes ago, StDragon said:

I've never used that program. If there's a specific need (like a kiosk or conference room PC), I've always done it through the Registry.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/user-profiles-and-logon/turn-on-automatic-logon

Note: password isn't encrypted, so don't grant the local account Administrative access, and don't use this for AD account login.

The program method encrypts the password.

Another thing to add related to Microsoft Accounts... I wished they fixed that weird quirk where it would truncate your name to 5 characters I believe, for your home directory. On Windows 10 the work around was to create a local profile, then link that to your Microsoft Account afterwards. Now that you're forced to use a Microsoft Account during the initial setup, there's going to be a ton of awkwardly truncated home directory names... like mine.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Aside from cut/paste icons etc being in different places depending on the menu, the post upgrade hassle of putting all your own apps in the launcher, removing spotify etc most things are good. The latest issue I am having is getting drivers and firmware updated. I found CS-GO would not run smoothly at first. When M$ did the last big update to fix the AMD problems etc CS-GO got even worse until I updated the AMD drivers from Gigabyte. That seemed to fix everything. However, I am now unable to update the bios from F60 to F62 which apparently has some Win 11 fixes too. Trying to use the Gigabyte @bios tool and it just tells me it is incompatible with this version of windows. So I do what is suggested and update to the latest version but get the same problem. I now get the feeling I should have upgraded the bios before I upgraded to Win11

On 10/26/2021 at 10:54 AM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Now that you're forced to use a Microsoft Account during the initial setup, there's going to be a ton of awkwardly truncated home directory names... like mine.  

Just disable your internet by pressing Airplane mode or disconnect the LAN cable after you connect to the internet. It will let you create a local account after that. 

If your laptop/keyboard doesn't have airplane mode, you can press Shift+F10 to open command prompt and run devmgmt to open Device Manager. Just right click and disable your wifi device from there. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

5 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Just disable your internet by pressing Airplane mode or disconnect the LAN cable after you connect to the internet. It will let you create a local account after that. 

If your laptop/keyboard doesn't have airplane mode, you can press Shift+F10 to open command prompt and run devmgmt to open Device Manager. Just right click and disable your wifi device from there. 

If I understand it correctly, that only works on the Pro version. If you're a Home user, you must have an internet connection to install the OS, and you must use a Microsoft account. 

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

If I understand it correctly, that only works on the Pro version. If you're a Home user, you must have an internet connection to install the OS, and you must use a Microsoft account. 

That is correct.

@xAcid9 You can't create a local account with Home edition; that option only exists in Pro.

And yes, I've attempted to create a VM of Windows 11 Home without a virtual NIC. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

16 hours ago, StDragon said:

That is correct.

@xAcid9 You can't create a local account with Home edition; that option only exists in Pro.

And yes, I've attempted to create a VM of Windows 11 Home without a virtual NIC. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

No I've did this in over 10 new laptops that come with Windows 11 Home Single Language recently.

Connect internet>Click Next>Disconnect from the internet. It will let you create a Local Account. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

3 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

No I've did this in over 10 new laptops that come with Windows 11 Home Single Language recently.

Connect internet>Click Next>Disconnect from the internet. It will let you create a Local Account. 

No it won't. That used to work, but now it'll just sit there bitching about not having internet. Especially if you use flight mode to turn it off since there is no other way.

I had to invoke Command prompt, fire up task manager through it and kill a certain network checking process. After it was killed the setup went through without any account creation. It's idiocy beyond comprehension.

26 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

No it won't. That used to work, but now it'll just sit there bitching about not having internet.

Yo, I just did it with a brand new Lenovo laptop that come with Windows 11 Home Single Language like 30 mins after I posted that. 

22 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Yo, I just did it with a brand new Lenovo laptop that come with Windows 11 Home Single Language like 30 mins after I posted that. 

Would you mind checking if they really removed all local backup options from Settings? I was checking when was the last time my backup ran, but seems like they removed it and now you need to go to File History in the old control panel.

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

Tried it in virtualbox, it works. But i think its just a matter of time before it gets patched out.....

Not going to upgrade in the near future.

Let Microsoft release their bug fixes and when it will be stable - upgrade.

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

Well, I did it few days ago and I remember damn well how it just sat at "select WiFi" menu with ZERO options to say you don't have it or whatever because it somehow just autodetected that Win10 Home license is tied to the laptop even though I had intention to install Win11 Pro on it just to have local option. So I gave it internet. After that it kept bitching to create account. Only way to "disconnect" it is with Flight Mode with which it kept bitching about "muh no internet" again.

After I killed the process through Command promt and Task Manager on WiFi selection the damn thing continued with local account without any problems. So....

12 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

After I killed the process through Command promt and Task Manager on WiFi selection the damn thing continued with local account without any problems. So....

Funny, that did not work for me. Had to resort to the god old 1@1.local email address, it bailed out and let me make a local account... 😄

@xAcid9 Perhaps the Lenovo is letting you do that due to some OEM agreement for OOBE customization that Microsoft is allowing.

@RejZoR @jagdtigger @LAwLz I'm not sure what I'm doing different other than installing this as a VM (Home Edition) in Hyper-V from the Win11_English_x64.iso file

The screenshot below is installing the OS without the virtual NIC installed. There's no way to get past this screen unless you install the NIC so it can fetch for updates and prompt to log in with the MS account.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

1 hour ago, StDragon said:

The screenshot below is installing the OS without the virtual NIC installed. There's no way to get past this screen unless you install the NIC so it can fetch for updates and prompt to log in with the MS account.

Shift+F10 > type: taskmgr > End Task: Network Connection Flow.

It will automatically skip to the next step, which is local account creation

And how am I suppose to not install a NIC on a live system that's a laptop? You can't compare VM to this...

5 hours ago, StDragon said:

The screenshot below is installing the OS without the virtual NIC installed.

Because you are doing it wrong, have a nic installed but leave it disconnected. When prompted connect it and when it says checking updates disconnect it again.

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Because you are doing it wrong, have a nic installed but leave it disconnected. When prompted connect it and when it says checking updates disconnect it again.

And how are you going to do this with a laptop that has wifi always active? Even if you put it in flight mode, Windows installer knows that and bitches about it.

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

And how are you going to do this with a laptop that has wifi always active? Even if you put it in flight mode, Windows installer knows that and bitches about it.

Um usb to ethernet adapter? :old-unsure:

Just a sidenote - the 11 context menus and taskbar will be configurable to older Windows versions by 3rd party program - StartAllBack. Good stuff.

I edit my posts more often than not

3 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Just a sidenote - the 11 context menus and taskbar will be configurable to older Windows versions by 3rd party program - StartAllBack. Good stuff.

Excuse me but if i need 3rd party tools (from which some paid) to make a paid and not so cheap SW usable, well thats one hack of a gigantic red flag.....

On 10/30/2021 at 12:19 PM, jagdtigger said:

Excuse me but if i need 3rd party tools (from which some paid) to make a paid and not so cheap SW usable, well thats one hack of a gigantic red flag.....

Windows lacks many GUI changing options and some program adds the needed functionality. At least there's a choice.

Edit: I just realized it's not free, just month of trial, then $5. (or a sad smiley on the start menu)

I edit my posts more often than not