Windows 11 - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!!!

GoodBytes
59 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Again because Apple does it with their machines. Microsoft wants to have an ecosystem like Apple. They wont achieve it, but they are going to keep trying. 

Pretty sure MacOS allows you to create a local account on your computer.

I'd say it's Microsoft wanting to be more like Google.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Pretty sure MacOS allows you to create a local account on your computer.

I'd say it's Microsoft wanting to be more like Google.

Im pretty sure I had to log in with an iCloud account when I first setup my Mac. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You cannot not have a login, however you can setup so that it auto logins for you:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autologon

Run AutoLogon64.exe, and enter the password. The other fields will be auto populated.

For not asking for a password when you wake up the system:

Settings > Account > Sign-in option > "If you've been away, when should Windows require you to sign in again?", and pick "Never".

Why is there a need to run around in circles when there was literally no need to do this since settings weren't designed by a moron? Now they put things in most illogical places or just hide or remove them entirely. Microsoft, you're not Apple where they for better or worse think instead of users. This is Windows, you don't have the authority or balls to do it, yet they do it anyway and do it so poorly it makes even Apple look good.

Oh and the setting you're mentioning literally doesn't exist in settings. Maybe it did in Windows 10, but smartass Microsoft now yet again removed it.

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Why is there a need to run around in circles when there was literally no need to do this since settings weren't designed by a moron? Now they put things in most illogical places or just hide or remove them entirely. Microsoft, you're not Apple where they for better or worse think instead of users. This is Windows, you don't have the authority or balls to do it, yet they do it anyway and do it so poorly it makes even Apple look good.

If someone has access to you laptop, which I know you'll say that you have a desktop, and I'll point that the desktop market is tiny compared to laptops. That person that got access to your machine, by-passing BitLocker (assuming you enabled it) as it auto logins, and now can perform purchases or extract your passwords stored on your system (web browser, and programs which might not have the best encryption or any)

14 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

This is Windows, you don't have the authority or balls to do it, yet they do it anyway and do it so poorly it makes even Apple look good.

But they do have the authority and the market share. Microsoft makes its money with cloud services and enterprise users. Regulars people like me and you are just a pin prick. Microsoft knows it gots most people by the balls. Because Apple wants $2k for its entry level 14" Macbook Pro they just announced launched. And most people are not willing to learn Linux. So Microsoft knows people have to bend over and take it. The only saving grace is that Windows 10 is supported for a few more years. The fact is Microsoft sees Google and Apple being successful with its cloud services. They want a piece of the pie. I think they are late to the party like they were with the WIndows phones. But they intend to try. 

@GoodBytesmakes a good point about security. Windows historically has been the subject of people saying it has poor security. In recent versions of WIndows Microsoft has attempted to rectify this. Thats why they do what they do. Thats why secure boot is a thing, TMP is a thing and the rest. They have to put the security in place so that the dumbest of users is protected. The techies just have to deal with this decision or find a work around. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Im pretty sure I had to log in with an iCloud account when I first setup my Mac. 

"Had" and "Highly encouraged to and didn't see the 'skip' button" are two completely different things.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

41 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

If someone has access to you laptop, which I know you'll say that you have a desktop, and I'll point that the desktop market is tiny compared to laptops. That person that got access to your machine, by-passing BitLocker (assuming you enabled it) as it auto logins, and now can perform purchases or extract your passwords stored on your system (web browser, and programs which might not have the best encryption or any)

Speaking of BitLocker... I'm not sure why they still hide BitLocker behind a Professional license upgrade. Yea there's that weird device encryption thing they introduced with Windows 10 Home but its requirements are way too restrictive and unnecessary with the need of Modern Standby support. It doesn't seem OEMs are in a rush to make their devices Modern Standby compliant because well... my ASUS X510UA doesn't have it. So while it met the requirements for the "more secure" Windows 11, if someone stole it, taking any data from it is still literally as easy as taking candy from a baby. 

Is there any logical reason for this? If they're mandating devices to have a TPM 2.0 chip for Windows 11, why not enable BitLocker for all who meet that requirement? And if someone didn't have a TPM chip, then make it a "Professional" feature for those edge cases.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

6 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Speaking of BitLocker... I'm not sure why they still hide BitLocker behind a Professional license upgrade.

That I completely agree, this is stupid, and should be enabled by default or have the option in the OOBE screen.

6 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Is there any logical reason for this? If they're mandating devices to have a TPM 2.0 chip for Windows 11, why not enable BitLocker for all who meet that requirement? And if someone didn't have a TPM chip, then make it a "Professional" feature for those edge cases.

No idea. Sounds like some decision done at the executive level back in the day, and just forgotten, or Microsoft feels like it is a "business" feature, that if its not there, for companies who don't buy volume license or don't implement domain joining might go with Home, and so costs less, and so Microsoft makes less money. Or they are desperately trying to have features to justifies the Pro edition.. if that is the indeed the case, then yea made sense before, but not these days with the direction of Win11.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

This is Windows, you don't have the authority or balls to do it, yet they do it anyway and do it so poorly it makes even Apple look good.

Let's find a quote of yours and change 1 tiny thing:

On 4/9/2021 at 10:59 PM, RejZoR said:

Microsoft made everything from scratch and it's their own. It gives them EVERY right to apply whatever rules they want

pretty sure this falls under the "their platform, their rules" bullshit that people love to throw around these days, right?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Is there any logical reason for this?

Coming from an ex tech support person who just couldn't take the stupidity anymore and decided to change career.. Probably because the typical home user on windows is brain dead when it comes to data safety and if it was available, they might activate it by mistake after seeing something on tiktok, then promptly forget their unlock password/forget to set one up/lose the recovery file/don't print the recovery code....

Then something happens to the PC, like they dropped water on it and they want to get their precious pictures back but the drive won't boot in another computer due to it being encrypted with the TPM from  the  dead PC... and they don't have the decryption key or any means to unlock it anymore.

I mean, sure, if everyone used OneDrive to store their precious memories, it wouldn't be much of an issue. But they don't (and the capacity is not that big either).

It's just like how I'm sure you also know a few people who never back up their pictures and videos they've taken with their phones... And then the phones dies after a bad fall and suddenly they come crying about their lost memories.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Coming from an ex tech support person who just couldn't take the stupidity anymore and decided to change career.. Probably because the typical home user on windows is brain dead when it comes to data safety and if it was available, they might activate it by mistake after seeing something on tiktok, then promptly forget their unlock password/forget to set one up/lose the recovery file/don't print the recovery code....

Then something happens to the PC, like they dropped water on it and they want to get their precious pictures back but the drive won't boot in another computer due to it being encrypted with the TPM from  the  dead PC... and they don't have the decryption key.

I mean, sure, if everyone used OneDrive to store their precious memories, it wouldn't be much of an issue. But they don't (and the capacity is not that big either).

What if there is the ability to store the recovery code onto your Microsoft Account? Or simply use your Microsoft Account email and password to unlock the drive much like how MacOS handles FileVault if you forget your password. 🤔

Like again, the hardware supports it and you're going to be forcing all Home users to have a Microsoft Account anyways. The potential to make it a seamless and simple to use process is there. For whatever reason, they're just not doing it even though "security" is a huge part of their vision for Windows 11. 

Image] Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.: GetMotivated

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 hours ago, Arika S said:

Let's find a quote of yours and change 1 tiny thing:

pretty sure this falls under the "their platform, their rules" bullshit that people love to throw around these days, right?

Well, it is their platform. I just can't grasp why they keep on shitting on it. They think because they hold the majority of market, they can do anything they want? Again, they are not Apple. For some reason they can always pull dumb things off and still make them actually usable where Microsoft just fucks them  up and makes them just plain idiotic and anything but helpful. That's the problem.

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

They think because they hold the majority of market, they can do anything they want?

Pretty much yes, even if home users get away (they wont because they are way too lazy so just put up with everything) they got the commercial market locked in pretty hard.

12 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Same idiocy as comparing iOS with Android. One runs exclusively on products of single manufacturer and other runs on millions of different versions. What ecosystem? Microsoft doesn't have phones, smartwatches, laptops are whatever and only thing really going on for them is Windows and Xbox. And instead of attracting people with features and reasons to connect devices they are assholes about it by forcing it on us making us hate their crap even more.

Only reason I installed Windows 11 again on laptop is because of Dolby Atmos that I use with my AirPods which I don't have on Linux. Otherwise I was using Manjaro on it for like 2 months now and it was working great. And it's quite likely I'll just go back to Linux.

If you really want atmos: https://github.com/wwmm/easyeffects & https://github.com/JackHack96/PulseEffects-Presets

Just installed it on my laptop. Meh.

It is just a new skin. On top of that there are inconsistencies in quite a few places, eg:

image.png.e8ac1414aa5aee4468f7597dd968e3d6.png

image.thumb.png.8966caae6de01492713204c463ff9020.png

This thing is straight out of 10. It would have been that much better if microsoft had just made the fluent design consistent instead of giving another layer of pain(t).

35 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Just installed it on my laptop. Meh.

It is just a new skin. On top of that there are inconsistencies in quite a few places, eg:

image.png.e8ac1414aa5aee4468f7597dd968e3d6.png

image.thumb.png.8966caae6de01492713204c463ff9020.png

This thing is straight out of 10. It would have been that much better if microsoft had just made the fluent design consistent instead of giving another layer of pain(t).

Win 10 was so much of a miss match that it was it own style. (eg: you did not notice you pointed to Win8 Metro design, under Win10 partial Fluent Design. I don't blame you, Win10 was a mess and really a rushed patchwork of Win8. That is ignoring too Win7 style still being visible with ease)

Win11 is a large part consistent, however now the remaining parts, not yet updated (expected next year... don't expect 100% still) is visible as a sore thumb.

13 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Since an online account is required for Home Edition, there's no reason why the key wouldn't already be published online too.

I get that MS prefers market segmentation, but they shouldn't be doing that with with local encryption; that should be for all versions of Windows like it is in OSX. Now if MS wanted to segment the market via AD or Azure management and key recovery, I'm fine with leaving that in Professional edition. But damn, at least give the general consumer the confidence to know a key can be recovered just in case something bad happens. 

19 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It's a laptop used for browsing and it's used by my mom and every and any of this trash is just super annoying. I just want laptop to be accessible easily to her. I mean, if I cared about security so much, why would I be running it without password in the first place. If you use account without password, there is literally NO reason to show lock screen to user at ANY point.

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

It's a laptop used for browsing and it's used by my mom and every and any of this trash is just super annoying. I just want laptop to be accessible easily to her. I mean, if I cared about security so much, why would I be running it without password in the first place. If you use account without password, there is literally NO reason to show lock screen to user at ANY point.

Winaerotweaker? 🤔

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Keep in mind that having this linked account provides:

• Ready to go personal file backup with OneDrive (as much as I personally don't like this OneDrive sync of Pictures, Documents folders, I do get that not everyone has the know how or willingness to do backups (they may do it once, or twice, then discipline is gone to keep doing manual backups). As for NAS setup to setup File History or some automated backup solution, well, you are looking at turn-key solutions for consumers, and that means, expensive (ex: Synology)... people aren't willing to pay. Many don't want to go to the hassle in figuring all this up).

• Store and all other apps (including Edge) are pre-configured and ready to go, and not be 'complicated' at first run, making the experience less inviting to them. This also includes, if their phone is also setup for, to quickly and easily view their phone pictures on their PC (as it would go through OneDrive, and the Photo app would link there, a nice convenience compared to plugging their phone to the PC), and of course, assuming they install Edge on their phone, have their bookmarks sync between devices.

On 10/24/2021 at 5:44 AM, GoodBytes said:

You cannot not have a login, however you can setup so that it auto logins for you:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autologon

Run AutoLogon64.exe, and enter the password. The other fields will be auto populated.

Wait what? When did they removed this tickbox in netplwiz? Also why? I just realized this. 

image.png.600f03ed8c232ad38363abb60801389a.png

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Wait what? When did they removed this tickbox in netplwiz? Also why? I just realized this. 

image.png.600f03ed8c232ad38363abb60801389a.png

Windows 10 20H2, if I am not mistaken, if you have a MS linked account. You have to use Microsoft tool linked above instead.

The faked transparency effect can actually be noticed:

image.png.742bec1734f3408c1ce382c08710f297.png

how is there a blue gradient in the top bar of my file explorer if everything in my bg is dark? They are probably just using a blur map.

10 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

The faked transparency effect can actually be noticed:

image.png.742bec1734f3408c1ce382c08710f297.png

how is there a blue gradient in the top bar of my file explorer if everything in my bg is dark? They are probably just using a blur map.

Microsoft calls it mica. This is how it is supposed to work. It makes the window border/header more noticeable when you have a bunch of stuff behind. 

Acrylic (transparency) is used on other elements, such as the right-click menu.