Where does the hardware "nostalgia era" lie for you?

pipnina

I wasn't really allowed to play video games as a kid, didn't start playing PC games much until college and didn't build my first PC until about 11 years ago. So there is no era I have "first-hand" nostalgia for.

If I I had to pick a past era that interests me the most though it would probably be the early 2000's. 3D acceleration had come into its own, we were past the era where you regularly needed to fiddle in DOS, online gaming had started to become a thing, and there were a host of outstanding titles released in that period. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Playstation 1 and Game Boy Color through to GBA/DS and PS2 were the sort of hardware I used a lot. Special mention goes to the original iMac, which was often seen in classrooms and computer labs (I hadn’t heard this term in awhile) around 1999-2002, with a few in the library when I went to Middle school. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, Middcore said:

I wasn't really allowed to play video games as a kid, didn't start playing PC games much until college and didn't build my first PC until about 11 years ago. So there is no era I have "first-hand" nostalgia for.

If I I had to pick a past era that interests me the most though it would probably be the early 2000's. 3D acceleration had come into its own, we were past the era where you regularly needed to fiddle in DOS, online gaming had started to become a thing, and there were a host of outstanding titles released in that period. 

I'd also argue that there are some good games one has missed, that even without nostalgia, are fun to visit the first time even if you're years late.  I had NEVER played The Sims before in my life.  I just never tried that franchise.  Sunk lots of hours into it in the pandemic while working from home and having far more free time.

IMO, outside of indies, a lot of what passes or 'AAA' gaming has narrowed in focus, and there's entire genres that are not what they once were that are lots of fun to revisit classic titles.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

I don't have such attachment or nostalgia for old hardware.

I'm honestly just glad whenever I upgrade, simply because it's so much better/faster.

I did start out my PC story at the Pentium 3 era, but I old nothing but bad memories from that craptastic PC that kept breaking (Packard Bell junk... I lost count how many times my parents sent it away for repair. Couldn't have been cheap shipping a whole PC through the mail either at the time)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It was the year 2035.... and...

wait a sec..

Oddly, I don't have any era of tech I'm nostalgic for. I am always excited for whats next. I never ever go back.

Games or software era? maybe a couple, but hardware is always better going forwards. 

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

1 hour ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

I'd also argue that there are some good games one has missed, that even without nostalgia, are fun to visit the first time even if you're years late.

That's very true. There are plenty of games I never played for one reason or another that I'd like to go back to sometime. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

iMac G3. More specifically, a Sage one because my elementary school had a few of these among the sea of beige PowerPC Perfoma, LC, and whatevers. At one point I thought to myself, I would love to buy one from the school when they retire them. Just something fun to keep around for word processing or something. And make sure it's the one with the green and amber power/sleep lights, not the boring white light the later DVs had. 

IMac G3 | Deutsches Kunststoff Museum

Pentium 4HT systems. That was the platform I used extensively... until the Southbridge heatsink flew off and the board subsequently burnt out months later. I had a janky solution of cooling it with a Antex Spot Cool. 

These ridiculous looking Philips "mini"  bookshelf systems. I loved the aesthetic of those VU meters even though purists would probably bang on how exaggerated they probably are. 

Mini Hi-Fi System FWM779/21 | Philips

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Hmm, how about this CoolerMaster Jet Turbine fan to match? xD

Weird Tech: Cooler Master's Jet Engine CPU Cooler - YouTube

Jontron Ill Take Your Entire Stock GIF - Jontron Ill Take Your Entire Stock  Meme - Discover & Share GIFs

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Hmm, how about this CoolerMaster Jet Turbine fan to match? xD

Weird Tech: Cooler Master's Jet Engine CPU Cooler - YouTube

I owned one, it was terrible. But the ocz eliminator2 tmd was a dope cooler:

016E0830-F2ED-4D3E-A36F-40836EDB4FB1.jpeg.c96fbe76ece326489c8ac89f529a08f9.jpeg

Tip magnetic drive fan, the housing is the motor, the center is just an axel 

it gets really fast, really loud, and barely cools anything 

8 hours ago, 8tg said:

I owned one, it was terrible.

I had the Aero and it worked just fine for my Athlon XP. I imagined they were pretty much the same.

8 hours ago, 8tg said:

Ah yes, the days when our CPUs could be cooled by a little finned lump of copper and a small fan. Compared to heatpipe 120 or 140mm monstrosities we have today lol.

7 hours ago, Caroline said:

Somewhere between the CBM 3032 and the IBM 5251 (in pic)

Everything (except for the specs?) in these terminals is great, I wasn't alive when these things were used yet I love them, clicky keyboards, analog switches, dim LEDs, amber/green monochrome monitors, weird boops and hard drive noises.

Here's the closest that I could find, it's from a game but most of the sounds are accurate.

I still use a CRT because of how nice the colours look compared to LED/LCD screens, it's bulky and enough to heat up my room during the harshest winters but nice in the end.

Been trying to find an early 80's terminal for a while and bring it back to life or refurb it with new parts, nothing high end.

When it comes to my likes I have a particular fondness for nixie tubes, 50's TV's and early 1900's appliances, I've found a couple interesting things in my own basement and I've been trying to restore them for a while, an old copper heater in particular that requires some -nowadays- custom parts, (the heating element itself), a box of old outlets/switches and other minor stuff.

I won't lie, I thought that was a keyboard attached to a microwave for a moment! lmao

Having a CRT would be great for some nostalgia. Though I'm sure a modern high end LCD would absolutely trash the best CRT today, they were very good at making low res images nice and soft to look at.

For me it is everything from 286 through to p4 (as far as ibm clones go anyway). I am currently building a socket 423 system on a NOS intel board I picked up on a whim. 

Would love to pic up a 486 or socket 7 machine bit prices for parts are crazy, I remember when the millennium bug was a worry you couldn't give away 486 and earlier parts as people were worried about the bug.

I did have a nice dual cpu socket 8 system back in the day and most of my machines had scsi drives which are hard to get now. 

The first new pc I bought was a 486 sx25mhz and I still keep an eye out on ebay to see if I can find e the same model, even if I did have to pay £300 to get an external cd-rom drive for it.

MOS 6502 to Motorola 68000 era. 

In big part because the limits in processing power meant that there was much more magic with some software and demos (from the demo scene) if you relate to the available processing power. 

I myself built my own computers in the P2 to Athlon XP era and have no real nostalgia for that era. It was fun and all but no real nostalgia.   

Mid 90s for me, Pentium 1 and macs with mac os before X.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Damn im feeling old now.
My nostalgia lies with the green and orange monochrome monitors.
I had turned on as an 8 year old boy way to long into the night trying all sorts of things.

I can remember mucking around in BASIC until like 2 in the am.

My dad busting in and shouting i should go to sleep, waking everyone else up ofcourse. 🤣

Screenshot_15.png

Also the 386 era is when i really started being interested in gaming. As in multiple(4+) hours a day.

Screenshot_16.png

I can remember paying for my first Pentium II (altho it was 2nd hand it was my first). Such much time has past.

Screenshot_17.png

Years later still bothering my parents staying up until its light out again, just because the Delta Force Black Hawk Down gamers where overseas. hahaha.

So many things i took for granted in that game that still TODAY are hard to come by.

You can prone, you can lean, there's 64 player servers, operate several vehicles and mounted weaponry, endless maps (like walk 15 minutes and still not be stopped), make you own maps (sort of), you can med/revive each other and you can even re-supply. It was such a great game, to bad gaming didn't really evolve from that besides getting more graphical awesomeness.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Definitely 2005 as I access to all the latest hardware and got paid to help people set it up. Also had contacts in OCZ, Corsair, seasonic, XFX, intel and AMD who always sent me there new stuff to check for compatibility.

Now I have buy new tech myself and use a boring dell box at work instead of a water cooled intel extreme edition engineering sample with 4GB OCZ gold edition memory!

8 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

You can prone, you can lean, there's 64 player servers, operate several vehicles and mounted weaponry, endless maps (like walk 15 minutes and still not be stopped), make you own maps (sort of), you can med/revive each other and you can even re-supply. It was such a great game, to bad gaming didn't really evolve from that besides getting more graphical awesomeness.

I def think that in terms of game play *mechanics*, video games have largely stopped evolving.  Sometimes there's a neat new gimmick like games with more verticality (Titanfall) or new multiplayer modes (Battle Royal) but none of this is anything a video game couldn't do 15 years ago, it'd have been less pretty, but it'd have been mechanically the same.  Newer gaming tech no longer earns us new, more in-depth experiences, just prettier experiences.

And repeating what I've said before, I feel that some genres have largely taken a back seat as more and more games now are very 'safe' in their design because they are $100 million budget too-big-to-fail projects that must bring in half a billion dollars or 200 people will lose their jobs.  Gaming used to be neat, interesting, and experimental, now less and less games feel like that while more and more just feel like 'Yet another military scifi shooter'.

There are for sure exceptions to this, I'm more commenting on overall trends.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

First PC was a POS HP with a Pentium 4. I was interested in building PCs when the Q6600 was the chip to have. First PC I ended up building was a bit later with a 2500k. :3

Probably late 2000s early 2010s. My first laptop had some 1.83Ghz C2D with a gig of RAM and a 40GB hard drive. The next laptop I got had a 2Ghz 64bit C2D with 4GB of RAM and a 60GB hard drive. Then I was temporarily given this 2nd gen Pentium laptop with Windows 8, 4GB of RAM and I think a 640GB hybrid drive. I was actually able to launch games with it, even if I had to manually mod map files to get higher than 10 fps. I ended up having to give that laptop back.

Years later my mom bought me my own laptop with a 2nd gen i3, 6GB of RAM, and Windows 7. I was super excited because I could actually sorta play games again.

Many years later(today), I ended up going back to that 64 bit C2D laptop and installing a 500GB SSD in it with Debian MATE. It's what I'm typing this on right now. The thing is just so solid, I can't give it up. Plus, I got my gaming PC to do heavy lifting whenever I need it. I also got a Thinkpad to handle all the proprietary garbage and school stuff.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

On 9/10/2021 at 10:25 PM, 8tg said:

016E0830-F2ED-4D3E-A36F-40836EDB4FB1.jpeg.c96fbe76ece326489c8ac89f529a08f9.jpeg

Ah, typical OCZ. Innovative but either broken or pointless. Their RAM was pretty good but seemed like none of their other stuff worked as intended. 

My first PC, mid-late 90's when everything was new, I had no internet, was pretty alone in figuring out how to do things. Most my software was from gaming/pc mag demo discs and most of what I learned was too, other than from trial and error. Just figuring how to run the shareware copy of doom that came with my PC was a massive achievement and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. 

I didn't know the hardware I was running was already old, I didn't really care, I was 12 and everything blew my mind when I got my first PC.

Kinda weird that getting a VR headset is the only thing that's come close to that since.

image.png.eaf9bc2a2680505e56e5fb452e328bc5.png

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

My first computer was an IBM XT I put together from spare parts, this was in the early 90's so it was already an old machine. I would say building ~200mhz through AMD K7 machines was where most of my nostalgia lives.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1