What's a tech term you hate?

da na
3 minutes ago, XGoodGuyFitz said:

Yes, it was indeed needed for those beings whom of which are of slower mindset than others. 

The problem is the question wasn’t rhetorical it was pseudo rhetorical.  It’s too often lately used as an argumentative technique.  Rusch  Limbaugh did it a lot.  He would often reply with a very angry “I was being sarcastic” which often didn’t actually answer the question. It’s been too often a way of attempting to force a point that actually isn’t one. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The problem is the question wasn’t rhetorical it was pseudo rhetorical.  It’s too often lately used as an argumentative technique.  Rusch  Limbaugh did it a lot.  He would often reply with a very angry “I was being sarcastic” which often didn’t actually answer the question. It’s been too often a way of attempting to force a point that actually isn’t one. 

Rush*

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

Hacker

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

7 hours ago, XGoodGuyFitz said:

Rush*

Again, depends.  It changed in the 90’s when he got that short lived TV show

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, sub68 said:

Hacker

as a person actually learning pentesting this hurts my soul

friend: *uses f12 to edit text on a webpage to say "noobmaster69"*

friend 2: wow!1! you are such a hacker!11!

and the term "virus" as well

"hey my computer is running slow, is it infected with a virus?"

"hey there are a lot of ads on this page, is it infected with a virus?"

real stories

"hi 911? my grandma is on the floor and shes not responding to anything"
"have you tried turning it off and on again?"

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding, di-di-ding

2 minutes ago, 732 said:

as a person actually learning pentesting this hurts my soul

Well I mean in a computer way.

Because I fix IT problems.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 minute ago, sub68 said:

Well I mean in a computer way.

Because I fix IT problems.

ah i see

"hi 911? my grandma is on the floor and shes not responding to anything"
"have you tried turning it off and on again?"

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding, di-di-ding

Just now, 732 said:

ah i see

Yep I get board being called hacker for the simplest things

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Not super on topic, but I hate when I say I am a pc nerd and people automatically think I am rich because I have more than 1 PC at my disposal. Seriously, do you think I would be streaming with Ryzen 5 1400 if I was rich???

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

12 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Might be doing it not because they think they have the information but because they think they’re not going to get the information even if you finish the description.  Gaming computer, math computer, or casual computer.  You seem to be saying”I’m not going to tell you”. I’ll describe the hardware bits and let you decide” which they may not be equipped to do.  i7 bespeaks a minimum though which takes “casual” out of the equation even if it’s an old i7. It still hits a minimum which is above casual.  You’ve got at least 4 cores and at least 3.5 ghz.

Okay, that is true.
Althought most people I know, would just say
What the does even it being intel core i7 mean.
Sure, even ivy lake i7 and i5 are totally good platforms even nowadays. As long as you add a SSD as a boot drive. They can do most things that you really need. You can game on them, but if you get a high-end GPU, there is going to be bottlenecks. 
But for some reason, I could not get PCIe boot to work. 
You have a point there, just a list of specs truly doesn´t say what you actually need a PC for. For me, it is gaming and studies. Maybe a random project in Resolve. 

4 hours ago, davemc said:

Not super on topic, but I hate when I say I am a pc nerd and people automatically think I am rich because I have more than 1 PC at my disposal. Seriously, do you think I would be streaming with Ryzen 5 1400 if I was rich???

Sure, I can understand your anger. 
Personally, I don´t usually get that type of flak. 
Even thought I have technicly two PCs, which are in my daily use. Funny thing is that they are on the same displays
-laptop with a dock

-desktop

When people say "ex" instead of "times" when the "X" denotes a multiple in a specification.

For example, It's a four times PCIe slot, not "four ex".

"Broken" the amount of times i've been told something is broken and needs to be fixed when it reality the power cable has come loose or the thing isnt even turned on.....

"Gamer-"/"Gaming-". I hate every internet store that have one category for as example keyboards, and another for gaming keyboards. I mean really? All I want is a half decent cherry brown keyboard with customisable keys to press keys on, regardless of whether I am writing a document or playing a game.

And this is even worse in Norwegian, where the Norwegian stores have adopted this very English term without even bothering to figure a Norwegian equivalent term to use instead.

3 hours ago, Rex Hite said:

When people say "ex" instead of "times" when the "X" denotes a multiple in a specification.

For example, It's a four times PCIe slot, not "four ex".

What makes you think it is pronounced “times”? I’ve heard it pronounced PCIe “by” 16, including by Intel one of the co-creators of PCIe. I don’t know if I’ve ever heard it pronounced “times”.

I think it started with CD roms when they started increasing the speeds by multiples of the original or base specification. The expression was most often "times faster" but denoted with an "X"

Things became, for example "2 times faster" or whatever the multiple was.

"_times faster" was the usual expression. This applied to CPU, RAM, bus speeds etc.

1 hour ago, The_russian said:

What makes you think it is pronounced “times”? I’ve heard it pronounced PCIe “by” 16, including by Intel one of the co-creators of PCIe. I don’t know if I’ve ever heard it pronounced “times”.

Times implies multiplication as in 2x4=8 as it happens with Pcie either time or by would work.  eX almost never does unless it’s part of a name like Xbox series X.  “By” implies dimension. A 2”x4” would be a two by four which is a standard for construction lumber in the United States. Calling a 2 by 4 a two times four would be inaccurate.

People using "lag" as a meaningless catch-all for any less-than-desired performance when lag is a network issue. "Help my GPU lags." Congrats, you've told us nothing about your problem. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

People using "lag" as a meaningless catch-all for any less-than-desired performance when lag is a network issue. "Help my GPU lags." Congrats, you've told us nothing about your problem. 

Maybe what they mean is that there is latency between the audio and the video - which can happen when the system is struggling to keep up with the workload?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

14 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Maybe what they mean is that there is latency between the audio and the video - which can happen when the system is struggling to keep up with the workload?

No, 99% of the time when people say this what they actually mean is their frame rate isn't as high as they think it should be. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

"SKU"- just say "model", or "product", or anything other than "SKU" Unless you're managing an inventory system it's dumb jargon.

"Form Factor"- Just say "shape", or "size" or "proportions" 

"Design language"- just say... nothing.  It's asinine.

George Carlin was right!

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Times implies multiplication as in 2x4=8 as it happens with Pcie either time or by would work.  eX almost never does unless it’s part of a name like Xbox series X.  “By” implies dimension. A 2”x4” would be a two by four which is a standard for construction lumber in the United States. Calling a 2 by 4 a two times four would be inaccurate.

I get where you get “times” from “x”, what I meant was why did they think it was “times” in the context of PCIe, I probably should have specified.

Interesting that you brought up “by” usually referring to dimension, since the “x16” refers to the width of the PCIe interface in lanes, so in this case the width of the interface is 16 lanes, hence why I think the more proper way to say it would be “by 16”.

In the end it doesn’t really matter, I was just curious what their reasoning was for “times” being the “correct” way to say it, since I don’t think I’ve heard anyone say it like that.

16 minutes ago, The_russian said:

I get where you get “times” from “x”, what I meant was why did they think it was “times” in the context of PCIe, I probably should have specified.

Interesting that you brought up “by” usually referring to dimension, since the “x16” refers to the width of the PCIe interface in lanes, so in this case the width of the interface is 16 lanes, hence why I think the more proper way to say it would be “by 16”.

In the end it doesn’t really matter, I was just curious what their reasoning was for “times” being the “correct” way to say it, since I don’t think I’ve heard anyone say it like that.

That’s the thing about Pcie. Because of the way it works it’s both by and times because the channels are additive of bandwidth.  It’s a bit unusual that way though.  16 “ex” pci3 doesn’t work though. The word is sometimes used to indicate an unknown quantity as well.  Gets confusing though because ex can also mean former, like ex wife. So “ say I’ve got ex male hamsters in a box..” might mean neutered hamsters so one would need to say “I’ve got ex number of male hamsters..”

English sucks.