What's a tech term you hate?

da na

"Price-to-performance ratio"

Just quoting myself from another thread here:

The whole idea of a "price-to-performance ratio" is an oversimplification to the point of ludicrousness. (Obviously it's accurate to a point - nobody needs to spend hundreds and hundreds on a motherboard for their consumer desktop CPU, but then that's obvious and doesn't need a mythical "ratio" to explain it)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

The whole idea of a "price-to-performance ratio" is an oversimplification to the point of ludicrousness. (Obviously it's accurate to a point - nobody needs to spend hundreds and hundreds on a motherboard for their consumer desktop CPU, but then that's obvious and doesn't need a mythical "ratio" to explain it)

Strongly agree! Whatever someone defines as price to performance will vary hugely from person to person and use case to use case.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

I use "price to performance" when convincing people not to buy new Apple products, but the addition of "ratio" at the end is just pointless.

On 5/7/2021 at 9:38 PM, CerealExperimentsLain said:

People referring to non-physicals purchases, of games or other media, as 'Digital' as if  an optical disc with a game or movie on it was not also digital.

I do that all the time.

Why? Because you can't resell an e-shop code.

On 5/7/2021 at 9:55 PM, FakeKGB said:

Gamer

I hate it. It's basically saying "oh you like to play video games? HOW ABOUT DEFINING YOUR WHOLE LIFE BY PLAYING VIDEO GAMES! HUH?!?!?"

Do you define your whole life by video games?

1 hour ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

I use "price to performance" when convincing people not to buy new Apple products, but the addition of "ratio" at the end is just pointless.

But It make sense.

I mean, 100 performance for 1000$ is more convenient than 150 performance for 3000$

Like FPS per dollar on GPU's

Just now, Tonyx said:

But It make sense.

I mean, 100 performance for 1000$ is more convenient than 150 performance for 3000$

Like FPS per dollar on GPU's

Yeah, the price-performance graph makes sense, but everyone has a different view of it.

Just now, DrunkTruck said:

i know it's not really a term but i hate it when people confuse memory (ram) with storage "memory".

this. 

its frusturating when i see things in text books like saying: if a computer has 2 terabytes of memory......

i had that in a story priblem once. Its stupid, and shouldnt bother me, ut it does.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

The term AUX (pronounced by many as OX) as in "Have you seen my aux chord?"

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

3 minutes ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

The term AUX (pronounced by many as OX) as in "Have you seen my aux chord?"

its more of an abreiviation.

as in, AUXiliary, which is the real name of it.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

this. 

its frusturating when i see things in text books like saying: if a computer has 2 terabytes of memory......

i had that in a story priblem once. Its stupid, and shouldnt bother me, ut it does.

lmao, only if pc's had that much ram.

6 minutes ago, DrunkTruck said:

lmao, only if pc's had that much ram.

especially when these textbooks were written like 8 years ago....

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Not sure if this is a local dialect thing (midwest US) but people will use the phrase "I got it offline" to mean they downloaded something from the internet.

Another one is when non-tech people cannot understand the difference between downloading and installing software and they just say they "downloaded" it.

Gaming Rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: 32GB Trident Z RGB 3200 GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition SSD: WD Black 1TB HDD: 2x striped WD Blue 2TB PSU: EVGA Supernova 850W Case: Be Quiet! Silent Base 802 Monitor: Acer XZ350CU 35" Ultrawide 144hz NIC: Intel X540-T2 10G

Laptop:

2013 Macbook Pro 15" - 8GB RAM, Intel i7, 256GB SSD

Server Infrastructure:

Dell EMC Poweredge R620: 128GB RAM, 2x Intel E5-2660v2, 4TB Storage - VMWare ESXi 6.5

Cisco UCS C240-M3S: 64GB RAM, 2x Intel 2620v2, 1TB Storage - VMWare ESXi - 6.5

Dell EMC Poweredge R520: 96GB RAM, 24TB Storage - Freenas 11.1

47 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

this. 

There are computers that have that much ram.  They’re by no means home devices though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

No.

Some people do.... though.... lol

33 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There are computers that have that much ram.  They’re by no means home devices though.

Okay can’t think of any  system 8 years ago that would’ve been possible even in a server. 

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Okay can’t think of any song system 8 years ago that would’ve been possible even in a server. 

I was thinking higher end of supercomputing stuff, not sure what “song system 8” means.  I didn’t seem an 8 years ago thing, but it possibly might not have happened 8 years ago at all.  There are people around here who have smaller older server stuff in their houses anyway, so I’m not sure server would even qualify for what I was talking about.  Afaik server stuff maxes out at 1tb of memory even today. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I was thinking higher end of supercomputing stuff, not sure what “song system 8” means.  I didn’t seem an 8 years ago thing, but it possibly might not have happened 8 years ago at all.  There are people around here who have smaller older server stuff in their houses anyway, so I’m not sure server would even qualify for what I was talking about.  Afaik server stuff maxes out at 1tb of memory even today. 

nope. single sypc supports 4tb, i believe that doubles with dual eypc ( i may be wrong here)

that was me using swipe type on my phone. it was meant to be sort of system, not song system.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

nope. single sypc supports 4tb, i believe that doubles with dual eypc ( i may be wrong here)

that was me using swipe type on my phone. it was meant to be sort of system, not song system.

I figured it was some sort of autocorrect weirdness. Usually I can decode them from context but that one eluded me. I didn’t know epic would do 4 tb.  That’s a whole lot of money in Dimms.

As someone who in the historical past fixed personal computers I HATE the work "Fast". Its 100% relative and when they used to say "The salesperson said it was fast"....Im sorry but if your spending $200 on a laptop I can bet you money its not "Fast". 

People declaring every tablet to be an Ipad or an Iphone.... I liked the term Cellular Mobility Device more than every mobile phone now being called Iphone. I guess thats just apple's great marketing to thank for this. Its not even old people but every younger person calls every phone a Iphone or Ipad. 

On 5/7/2021 at 7:53 PM, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Innie and outie connector is a less awkward way to say it, I've found

It makes it sound dirty to me. I guess its more my age as anytime someone is talking about a connector I ask if its male or female. I even stupidly asked when someone gave me new video cables like hdmi or DP. Old VGA cables used to have adapters for connecting to weird machines that would have male connectors. 

Retina display

It's more of a marketing term but people that say it think it's some technology that Apple created.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx