What's a tech term you hate?

da na
11 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Might of been said, but 'rig' in any sense (besides pc's especially when referring to a ute or 4wd)

The problem is the term rig predates computers.  Or automobiles for that matter. “Rig” is a word left over from sailing ships that only moved on to new fangled things like horse carriages.. and then to all sorts of things.  I first heard the word referring to fishing rods. (My dad wound his own fishing rods and made his own lures)  I personally have taken rig to mean a tool made of multiple parts that can be set up in several configurations for several different use cases.  sloop rig, square rig, cat rig, etc..  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

"2K displays" who even thought to call them that? are you that lazy that you can't even type out 1440p?

9 minutes ago, creeperkiller8 said:

"2K displays" who even thought to call them that? are you that lazy that you can't even type out 1440p?

You could say the same thing for 4k

It's really 2160p

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, creeperkiller8 said:

fine 2.5K it is then.

My friend called 1080P 1K once. I didnt speak to them for a week

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

35 minutes ago, creeperkiller8 said:

Wouldn’t that also be a factor of refresh rate though? You could run a smaller one faster or a bigger one slower and still get the same “k”

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Since bottleneck is already mentioned, I will contribute "Bang-per-buck"

I think its a stupic metric as it goes to "inifinite" bang-per-buck if you pay nothing by going dumpster diving. So the ultimate bang-per-buck build is always going to be something free.

As a side not how many bangs you get per buck sounds very nsfw 😛

24 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Wouldn’t that also be a factor of refresh rate though? You could run a smaller one faster or a bigger one slower and still get the same “k”

It refers directly to the resolution but it's not exact, just marketing.  

1080p is essentially 2k

1440p is 2.5k

4k would be 2160p. 

8k would be 4320p. 

2 hours ago, Heliian said:

It refers directly to the resolution but it's not exact, just marketing.  

1080p is essentially 2k

1440p is 2.5k

4k would be 2160p. 

8k would be 4320p. 

So the issue is whether “k” refers specifically to screen size vs. what the gpu has to drive.  My understanding was the latter, so a 2160p display at 30hz would be 2 or 2.5k (don’t want to do the math) rather than 4k. Whereas a 1440p display @120hz would be 4k. A 1080p display @120hz would be 2k as well with 144hz being between 2k and 2.5k

The term I hate the absolute most is "smart".

The reason for this is that in almost all cases it can be replaced with the term "gratuitously overcomplicated".

"Smart light bulb" -> "gratuitously overcomplicated light bulb"

"Smart robotic vacuum cleaner" -> "gratuitously overcomplicated vacuum cleaner"

"Smart doorbell" -> "gratuitously overcomplicated doorbell"

See what I mean?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

2 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

"Smart robotic vacuum cleaner" -> "gratuitously overcomplicated vacuum cleaner"

"Smart doorbell" -> "gratuitously overcomplicated doorbell"

As someone who has these two, there not that bad.

ive got a shark robot vacuum, which, surprisingly, is really easy to setup, and is actually smart. I can have it vacuum any room, and it does it all the way

abd I just installed a Wyze smart doorbell, which just needs you to put a fuse thing in the bell box and wire it to the two existing wires for your doorbell. all the software if free, and the bell itself is wireless.( way easier than most things it seems)

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

ive got a shark robot vacuum, which, surprisingly, is really easy to setup, and is actually smart. I can have it vacuum any room, and it does it all the way

Mine isn't a Shark, but it only takes a few minutes for it to get stuck or jammed and start crying for help (in the form of beeping). Often feels like it would take less time to vacuum it myself. Mine's quite old now though so maybe the newer ones are better and I should give them a second chance

abd I just installed a Wyze smart doorbell, which just needs you to put a fuse thing in the bell box and wire it to the two existing wires for your doorbell. all the software if free, and the bell itself is wireless.( way easier than most things it seems)

But what advantage does it have over a regular video intercom type setup? (Obviously the manufacturer's advantage is that all of the data gets send to the cloud for them)

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

But what advantage does it have over a regular video intercom type setup? (Obviously the manufacturer's advantage is that all of the data gets send to the cloud for them

That it took like 10minutes to setup. And it’s built into one tiny doorbell (really the things like 1in wide, 2in tall, and only .5in deep). Plus I don’t know how much extra wiring the doorbell intercom takes to do, but I was able to just use the 2 wires that were ran for the old button only one.

it also integrates with their deadbolt and cameras. All in one app (which video intercoms don't seems to have apps)

Plus there is vehical/person detection, which would be great if not for the tree with branches right in front of the door. (Which were trimming soon anyways)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

So the issue is whether “k” refers specifically to screen size vs. what the gpu has to drive.  My understanding was the latter, so a 2160p display at 30hz would be 2 or 2.5k (don’t want to do the math) rather than 4k. Whereas a 1440p display @120hz would be 4k. A 1080p display @120hz would be 2k as well with 144hz being between 2k and 2.5k

K just means thousands and describes the horizontal pixel count.

1080p and 1440p describe the vertical pixel count. 

We won't mention interlaced because it's essentially non existant in modern times. 

2 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

When people say "wire" when referencing a USB cable or something similar.

What's wrong with wire? It accurately describes what it is.

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

As someone who has these two, there not that bad.

Thats “robotic” though, not “smart”. A “smart” doorbell isn’t a robotic doorbell for example.  “Smart” all too often means internet of things stuff which is almost always a serious security hole. “Smart” might mean “smarter than you for buying it” perhaps.

Edited by Bombastinator

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Thats “robotic” though, not “smart”. A “smart” doorbell isn’t a robotic doorbell for example.  “Smart” all too often means internet of things stuff which is almost always a serious security hole. “Smart” might mean “smarter than you for buying it” perhaps.

It’s both. A smart robot is different from just a robot. the non smart ones don’t auto dock and don’t smart clean. They are random and need to be emptied by the user. Mine is smart, so it has a planned path, auto empties, and auto charges.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

59 minutes ago, gamagama69 said:

A wire is an individual conductor of sorts. A cable is a collection of those conductors, shielded, terminated and all. It's wrong.

11 minutes ago, duncannah said:

Not sure if it counts, but it's people calling any kind of internet access "Wi-Fi" for me. It's much more widespread than I thought...

Haven’t seen this one much myself. I could see how it could be annoying though.

1 hour ago, gamagama69 said:

What it contains anyway. This word has changed a bit.  Wire, cord, and cable all have this problem.  “Cord” used to be a thin rope, not something that carries electricity, and “cable” was rope made of metal used to hold heavy things. The term “electrical cord” to differentiate it from the tensioning stuff happened, and There is a further term “wire rope” one also sees.  The language seems to be fumbling around to find itself when faced with technology changes. The difference between “electrical cord” and “electrical cable” used to be about how big one was. Perhaps “data” needs to be added to things. A “data cable” seems pretty self explanatory. A “data wire” then seems pretty unusual. Then of course you’ve got power over Ethernet and ethernet over household wiring to mess things up again.

Edited by Bombastinator

7 hours ago, duncannah said:

Not sure if it counts, but it's people calling any kind of internet access "Wi-Fi" for me. It's much more widespread than I thought...

7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Haven’t seen this one much myself. I could see how it could be annoying though.

It's not that common for me, but it's common enough that if I'm helping a friend with a problem and they tell me about "the Wi-Fi" I still always ask whether the connection is wired or wireless. Stupid that I have to talk about wired Wi-FI, but whatever.

pythonmegapixel

On 5/8/2021 at 3:46 AM, crazzp said:

Male/Female connector. I understand it perfectly describes the type of connector but I believe there are more elegant ways to describe it instead of making me imagine certain human organs whenever I deal with connectors. 

Non binary connectors?